Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Discodog wrote: »
    :confused:
    YEAH literally 45 minutes after we say don't walk him on steps or hills. Some other woman is walking him up steps. He can't he had several operations that means he is slightly disabled and his back is fragile.

The message obviously was miscommunication to her from the original woman we spoke to. But I mean we DID have to fill out a form stating all his needs especially because he has very special needs.

We DID ask if he would be too much for a week etc. You pay but i get they can't take maybe special needs dogs.

But when we went to pick him up he LOOKED like one of those abused dogs. Totally terrified. Maybe it was being around other dogs or something i dunno. He is a barky dachshund but well very vulnerable.

And you don't like to say this stuff do you with these charities.

Oh and the hilarious time they just let a loose horse wander around the dog walking area because all the volunteers where too afraid of him to catch him until i got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

klaaaz wrote: »
    So no proof of extremism or any proof of the famous three protesting at an anonymous roundabout. Any more info you like to make up to share with us?

What would you like signed forms saying that they were there lol. But yes indeed three poor little protestors. A good start would be you providing 'proof' for the claims otherwise. If you wish to breach boards ToU go ahead. On your head be it.

Just in case you missed it the whole extremism thing has been well discused in this thread already. These are militant groups heavily involved in seeking to have greyhound racing banned and they are still at it. I believe I posted up one of their lovely sentiments a while back. I'm sure you will be able to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

YEAH literally 45 minutes after we say don't walk him on steps or hills. Some other woman is walking him up steps. He can't he had several operations that means he is slightly disabled and his back is fragile.

The message obviously was miscommunication to her from the original woman we spoke to. But I mean we DID have to fill out a form stating all his needs especially because he has very special needs.

We DID ask if he would be too much for a week etc. You pay but i get they can't take maybe special needs dogs.

But when we went to pick him up he LOOKED like one of those abused dogs. Totally terrified. Maybe it was being around other dogs or something i dunno. He is a barky dachshund but well very vulnerable.

And you don't like to say this stuff do you with these charities.

Oh and the hilarious time they just let a loose horse wander around the dog walking area because all the volunteers where too afraid of him to catch him until i got there.

Sorry but I don't have the faintest idea what you are talking about.

jackboy wrote: »
    Again, flawed logic that just means that everyone is guilty. There are plenty of things in everyone’s life (including yours) that can be easily linked to atrocities.

Are you saying that you don't believe the track injury & death figures ?

Sorry but I don't have the faintest idea what you are talking about.
    That was how the DSPCA handled my dog ie TERRIBLY. They have kennels that they use to make money by talking dogs while their owners go on holiday. We used them ..never again.

And far from being experts on horses most of the people trying to care for them are so inexperienced they are actually terrified of them.

They have one or two people who are horse people who come in maybe once a week. That's it the rest are volunteers with zero experience.

Even the welfare officers didn't seem to know much about horses. They did seem to know about dogs and cats in fairness. But most of the actual care is by volunteers. More so even in other rescues.

Often they know less than the people they are taking the animals from.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    What would you like signed forms saying that they were there lol. But yes indeed three poor little protestors. A good start would be you providing 'proof' for the claims otherwise. If you wish to breach boards ToU go ahead. On your head be it.

Just in case you missed it the whole extremism thing has been well discused in this thread already. These are militant groups heavily involved in seeking to have greyhound racing banned and they are still at it. I believe I posted up one of their lovely sentiments a while back. I'm sure you will be able to find it.

And the vast majority think that it's a total load of rubbish invented by you. There are only one group of extremists - the one's that think killing dogs is acceptable for their "sport".

That was how the DSPCA handled my dog ie TERRIBLY. They have kennels that they use to make money by talking dogs while their owners go on holiday. We used them ..never again.

And far from being experts on horses most of the people trying to care for them are so inexperienced they are actually terrified of them.

They have one or two people who are horse people who come in maybe once a week. That's it the rest are volunteers with zero experience.

Even the welfare officers didn't seem to know much about horses.

The thread is about Greyhounds. Here's the program if you want to see what the thread is about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0R2bNG9Vn8

Effects wrote: »
    What drugs are you on? Clearly you haven't watched the program. Loads of people thinks it's fine to kill healthy dogs, including trainers.

Btw that goes for ALL dogs as well. Dogs (not just the breed which is greyhounds) are euthanized for many reasons including the fact they are not wanted, poor health, injury, age related issues and behavioural problems. And yes its legal. It's not desirable but sometimes quality of life is s bigger determinant in such decisions. And yes I know we have posters on here who would like to ban all such euthanasia. Some also bizarrely claim that animal rights extremists dont exist! Even when they are all over social media pushing their agenda and same (groups) are even prohibited on the AP& I forum. Funny that.

The thread is about Greyhounds. Here's the program if you want to see what the thread is about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0R2bNG9Vn8

I wouldn't trust them with them either.

And yes i have seen the program. Its awful.

And the vast majority think that it's a total load of rubbish invented by you. There are only one group of extremists - the one's that think killing dogs is acceptable for their "sport".
    Well that is thousands of people. Because the program hasn't hurt business. So i think you might need to get more flexible and start thinking how you can improve the business before the industry cuts you off complete and you look like extremist fools with zero influence with them or anyone.
    Because if you can't see beyond your views to realize that video looks TERRIBLE for you guys you are beyond help.

Animal charities work better when they are positive spaces not when they are a lot of political loons. That makes brands and sponsors stay away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Hope neutral people are having a laugh at this rubbish. Apparently there was a protest by "little protesters" at an anonymous roundabout in an anonymous town somewhere which was witnessed by gozunda's neighbour. There is no breach of boards conditions if you name the town. I know why you won't name the town as you know that I know that I know quite a bit on the protests.

Hope neutral people are having a laugh at this rubbish. Apparently there was a protest by "little protesters" at an anonymous roundabout in an anonymous town somewhere which was witnessed by gozunda's neighbour. There is no breach of boards conditions if you name the town. I know why you won't name the town as you know that I know that I know quite a bit on the protests.
    That is what it looked like on the video. And I can tell you business hasn't slowed any since the program.

We don't people who want to help greyhounds ENGAGE with the industry? Its the only way to change things.

You don't win much this way.

Yes I know but I would hope you dont need to be spoon fed do you? I'm sure you can figure out where the racing was on Thursday night - I will give you at least that amount of credit. Yeah you do seem to be quite the expert tbh so funny nobody told you about the three that turned up.

Savage protest man :pac:

That is what it looked like on the video. And I can tell you business hasn't slowed any since the program.

We don't people who want to help greyhounds ENGAGE with the industry? Its the only way to change things.

You don't win much this way.

Why is your English incoherent in a number of posts, honest question. Are you in the pub or something? (pour me a pint if you are ;) )

Business has indeed slowed since the revelation of the thousands of greyhounds who are too slow to race, over 500 dogs died on Irish tracks since 2015 and the expose of greyhound exports to hellholes like China and Pakistan who have no animal welfare regulations. It's actually collapsing, there will be forthcoming track closures.

Business has indeed slowed since the revelation of the thousands of greyhounds who are too slow to race, over 500 dogs died on Irish tracks since 2015 and the expose of greyhound exports to hellholes like China and Pakistan who have no animal welfare regulations. It's actually collapsing, there will be forthcoming track closures.

No it hasn't. Its booming. Its even better than it was 5 yrs ago. I know two people who work taking bets. The summer has been one of the busiest. I actually couldn't believe it. I would have thought the program and protests would turn people off but nope. Busiest summer in a long time.

Its worth €300 million annually to the economy GET REAL. You have to now engage with the industry.

Yes I know but I would hope you dont need to be spoon fed do you? I'm sure you can figure out where the racing was on Thursday night - I will give you at least that amount of credit. Yeah you do seem to be quite the expert tbh so funny nobody told you about the three that turned up.

Savage protest man :pac:

A few dog tracks are open on Thursday nights, doesn't help narrow it down at all.
    No it hasn't. Its booming. Its even better than it was 5 yrs ago. I know two people who work taking bets. The summer has been one of the busiest.

Its worth €300 million annually to the economy GET REAL.

Great soundbite! Obviously you're ignoring stats by your own supporters, 5 years ago in 2014 the greyhound industry was in a downward slump which has continued into their horrendous summer this year.

A few dog tracks are open on Thursday nights, doesn't help narrow it down at all.

Great soundbite! Obviously you're ignoring stats by your own supporters, 5 years ago in 2014 the greyhound industry was in a downward slump which has continued into their horrendous summer this year.
    Exactly what I said its much better today that it was 5 yrs ago.

They took action in the last 3 yrs in particular online betting also. You guys never see that. Its huge.

If you really care about greyhounds you will engage with them and stop this childishness. That video would be forgivable if they were teens.

They need to stop acting like volunteers and start behaving like media savvy professionals.

Exactly what I said its much better today that it was 5 yrs ago.

They took action in the last 3 yrs in particular online betting also. You guys never see that. Its huge.

If you really care about greyhounds you will engage with them and stop this childishness. That video would be forgivable if they were teens.

They need to stop acting like volunteers and start behaving like media savvy professionals.

Like spin merchants?

The "sport" is in serious decline, their gamblers are of an older age cohort with attendances in continuous decline. As you didn't read the news or any of the thread, they the IGB and the owners and breeders association were informed about the killing of healthy dogs for donkeys years and nothing was done. The IGB tried to hide their own report into the massacres but RTE got hold of it and exposed it all.

Like spin merchants?

Yes exactly. Step up or lose. That is the reality.
    The "sport" is in serious decline, their gamblers are of an older age cohort with attendances in continuous decline. As you didn't read the news or any of the thread, they the IGB and the owners and breeders association were informed about the killing of healthy dogs for donkeys years and nothing was done. The IGB tried to hide their own report into the massacres but RTE got hold of it and exposed it all.

There are kids in there every weekend. Teens even celebrities. Pat Kenny is a mad fan. Ap McCoy part owns a dog so does JP Mc Manus's wife. You really think they hate animals? They sure don't need the money.

Klaaz what would you think of scrapping current bodies and setting up a new one with people from the greyhound industry and the animal rights lobby along with vets etc?

Work together?

• Advertisement

Yes exactly. Step up or lose. That is the reality.

There are kids in there every weekend. Teens even celebrities. Pat Kenny is a mad fan. Ap McCoy part owns a dog so does JP Mc Manus's wife. You really think they hate animals? They sure don't need the money.

Are kids allowed to be at tracks due to betting occurring and alcohol being served? A dog track is no place for a kid to be witnessing the deaths and serious injury to dogs, it can scar kids emotionally for life. The child protection agency should be have a look at this for the protection of kids.
    Klaaz what would you think of scrapping current bodies and setting up a new one with people from the greyhound industry and the animal rights lobby along with vets etc?

Work together?

They the greyhound racers will never allow dogs rights people into supervising the whole thing as the first priority is money over animal welfare. If you didn't know, sometimes it takes syndicates to invest in a single greyhound to help train the dog to win races, there is serious money involved. The investors are betting that the dog can win them money at races, that's gambling. This is all explained on the IGB website themselves. If the dog constantly loses, it's game over for the poor creature as we all know.

Are kids allowed to be at tracks due to betting occurring and alcohol being served? A dog track is no place for a kid to be witnessing the deaths and serious injury to dogs, it can scar kids emotionally for life. The child protection agency should be have a look at this for the protection of kids.

They the greyhound racers will never allow dogs rights people into supervising the whole thing as the first priority is money over animal welfare. If you didn't know, sometimes it takes syndicates to invest in a single greyhound to help train the dog to win races, there is serious money involved. The investors are betting that the dog can win them money at races, that's gambling. This is all explained on the IGB website themselves. If the dog constantly loses, it's game over for the poor creature as we all know.

You never know unless you try.

You never know unless you try.

The IGB control the overseeing of dog racing in this country, they decide who can have input into dog racing and as proven over the years, animal welfare groups are not welcomed for the reasons outlined. The IGB own about 10 or 11 tracks while 4 or 5 others are privately owned, all are subservient to the rules of the IGB.

The IGB control the overseeing of dog racing in this country, they decide who can have input into dog racing and as proven over the years, animal welfare groups are not welcomed for the reasons outlined. The IGB own about 10 or 11 tracks while 4 or 5 others are privately owned, all are subservient to the rules of the IGB.
    Lobby to take it out of their control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭jackboy

Would someone please think of the children.

You’re showing a lack of knowledge of greyhound racing and children with that one.

Lobby to take it out of their control.

That has been done for years, actually maybe decades now to deaf ears. Some politicians(always FF/FG) have connections to wealthy people who are heavily involved in greyhound racing. How can ordinary people who care about dogs tackle that? (well RTE have done a massive favour for dog lovers recently!)

jackboy wrote: »
    Would someone please think of the children.

You’re showing a lack of knowledge of greyhound racing and children with that one.

You'll have to elaborate on that. Why should an underage child be allowed to witness dog deaths and horrific dog injuries on the track?(besides the betting and alcohol exposure) As you know, children largely love dogs as pets, they deserve their innocence to be shielded from such dog brutality at an early age.

That has been done for years, actually maybe decades now to deaf ears. Some politicians(always FF/FG) have connections to wealthy people who are heavily involved in greyhound racing. How can ordinary people who care about dogs tackle that? (well RTE have done a massive favour for dog lovers recently!)
    It has not. Its has been the goal of animal rights activists to ban the sport outright purely on ideological grounds from the start and you know it.

And I know because i used be a part of that.

Originally Posted by klaaaz viewpost.gif

Don't go Gemma O Doherty on us.

You'll have to elaborate on that. Why should an underage child be allowed to witness dog deaths and horrific dog injuries on the track?(besides the betting and alcohol exposure) As you know, children largely love dogs as pets, they deserve their innocence to be shielded from such dog brutality at an early age.
    There is none to be seen at a track.

Sure they have lots of kids at the Galways races etc and parents put tiny bets on for them it's no harm its the same thing.

They have family day out packages. Kids menu and everything. Kids love it.

https://www.igb.ie/go-greyhound-racing/our-stadiums/shelbourne-park-greyhound-stadium/plan-your-night/family/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭jackboy

Ah now, you’d swear it was a gladiator battle in Ancient Rome.

Advertisement