Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jackboy wrote: »
    Ah now, you’d swear it was a gladiator battle in Ancient Rome.

The hyperbole in that one is strong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

There is none to be seen at a track.

Yes there is, 500 plus dogs have died on tracks since 2015, that is no place for a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

klaaaz wrote: »
    Yes there is, 500 plus dogs have died on tracks since 2015, that is no place for a child.
    would you get over yourself.

Where do you even get that number?

I doubt you have ever even been at a track and seen a race.

would you get over yourself.

Where do you even get that number?

I doubt you have ever even been at a track and seen a race.

From the IGB themselves. As you didn't know this, you're obviously not informed of what goes on.

From the IGB themselves. As you didn't know this, you're obviously not informed of what goes on.

Ok kids still enjoy it though. Shrug. My brother used to work there he never mentioned dogs dying much. And he isn't cold hearted or anything. He's a vegetarian. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ok kids still enjoy it though. Shrug. My brother used to work there he never mentioned dogs dying much. And he isn't cold hearted or anything. He's a vegetarian. :)

Anecdotes are not data. IGB provided numbers have been provided throughout the discussion here.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Anecdotes are not data. IGB provided numbers have been provided throughout the discussion here.

According to you roughly 121 dogs are put down at the track each year. That is roughly 2 A WEEK. They are not going to do it on the track there is a vet there to do it if its really the case. It would usually be after also not during the race. The public wouldn't even see it. The staff would be told though particularly those dealing with punters they would have to be.

People are different. Different families have diff cultures. Kids go fox hunting no emotional scarring there. I haven't gone myself but kids do that no trauma.

The only trauma caused to those children was the trauma caused by those protesters. Maybe they should not be around children. Protesting is no place for children anyway.

And its obvious those protestors didn't care about upsetting children they wouldn't have screamed BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS at them if that was the case. Those protesters care about dogs not people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I am not on either side. But why are these protestors shouting at kids?? That's disgusting behavior.

They also seem to be attacking security.

Shelbourne protestors. And I don't see anyone attacking them like they claim.

I noticed when they see a loose dog none of these 'PROTESTORS' try to help it.

And your one shouting 'you woman beater???' Yeah right.

:rolleyes:

The security staff are there to keep the peace on the property and they had no business in dealing with the protesters outside the property its not their job.

Yeah like such deaths happen every single time there is a race and all together :rolleyes:. Complete absolute massacre with blood from wall to wall - how could any child be right after that ...

Yeah ok that's a complete parody - but that's the kind of picture you're trying to paint imo. I just checked the 2017 figures and for Thurles and Kilkenny which show 3 deaths per track ie approx 1 accidental death happening once every 4 months on average.

Even Shelbourne Park with 10 would mean less than one a month. And from reading the blurb only the seriously injured greyhounds are put to sleep and this is done by a qualified vet. Most patrons would be unaware of this imo. I've seen horses pts at horse races and it's always done with consideration and care.

I'm not defending any deaths just the hyperbole does your cause no service.

Never argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Plenty of narrow minded opinions in here.

• Advertisement

According to you roughly 121 dogs are put down at the track each year. That is roughly 2 A WEEK.

IGB numbers. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/139-greyhounds-put-down-over-race-injuries-462935.html

So, stop denying it's happening. It is. What do you suggest change to reduce it to zero?

IGB numbers. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/139-greyhounds-put-down-over-race-injuries-462935.html

So, stop denying it's happening. It is. What do you suggest change to reduce it to zero?
    I am not a vet I have never raced greyhounds.

Ah sure its only a dog.

We can breed some new ones.

:mad:

Ok but you agree with the numbers I provided by link and others have quoted? As you yourself stated, around two per week.

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah like such deaths happen every single time there is a race and all together :rolleyes:. Complete absolute massacre with blood from wall to wall - how could any child be right after that ...

Yeah ok that's a complete parody - but that's the kind of picture you're trying to paint imo. I just checked the 2017 figures and for Thurles and Kilkenny which show 3 deaths per track ie approx 1 accidental death happening once every 4 months on average.

Even Shelbourne Park with 10 would mean less than one a month. And from reading the blurb only the seriously injured greyhounds are put to sleep and this is done by a qualified vet. Most patrons would be unaware of this imo. I've seen horses pts at horse races and it's always done with consideration and care.

I'm not defending any deaths just the hyperbole does your cause no service.

He says he is getting his figures form the IGB i reckon he is getting them from an animal welfare website. One of the more outrageous ones.

The only trauma caused to those children was the trauma caused by those protesters. Maybe they should not be around children. Protesting is no place for children anyway.

And its obvious those protestors didn't care about upsetting children they wouldn't have screamed BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS at them if that was the case. Those protesters care about dogs not people.

Hahaha, have you contacted childline with your comedy allegations yet? Why have you not migrated to saying they abused babies or something, just like the earlier pro racer defender saying they were extremists! Have noticed you don't care about a man beating a woman in public, that must be ok in your culture.

In front of children, dogs get horrifically injured on track in full view of everyone, some dogs die while on the track while others are carted out of view to be mercilessly put down by their owners for being economically unviable to the gamblers.

Paul Cooney

Giving his side.

How if I assaulted a member of the LGBTQ community this weekend at a pride march?

Im sure you would want me to be punished accordingly.

But when it comes to a protester you come across as ignorant.

Even though the LGBTQ community have been victimised for years for protesting which was wrong everybody should be treated with dignity and respect.

Hahaha, have you contacted childline with your comedy allegations yet? Why have you not migrated to saying they abused babies or something, just like the earlier pro racer defender saying they were extremists! Have noticed you don't care about a man beating a woman in public, that must be ok in your culture.

In front of children, dogs get horrifically injured on track in full view of everyone, some dogs die while on the track while others are carted out of view to be mercilessly put down by their owners for being economically unviable to the gamblers.

You are not well. You are delusional.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    How if I assaulted a member of the LGBTQ community this weekend at a pride march?

Im sure you would want me to be punished accordingly.

But when it comes to a protester you come across as ignorant.

Even though the LGBTQ community have been victimised for years for protesting which was wrong.

Are you seriously comparing gay people to dogs?

I am not gonna lie I am not gonna get through all of that! :o

Are you seriously comparing gay people to dogs?

Everybody has a democratic right to protest.

Im not comparing Gay people to dogs.

mikeym wrote: »
    Everybody has a democratic right to protest.

Im not comparing Gay people to dogs.
    Those protestors were attacking people I saw them.

The figure given in that link detail 139 deaths out of 100000 dogs raced. That's a figure of 0.14%

Again not defending anything. However 0.14% is much less than 1%. Can it be reduced? I suppose it might - but even humans die whilst participating in sports. Do dogs die when being exercised? Yes they do. Do dogs die in their beds at night - yes they do. How do you suggest we reduce all these terrible deaths to zero?

Paul Cooney

Giving his side.
    You are not well. You are delusional.

You're the delusional one who watches videos with a fictional conclusion. Nice of you to put a pro racer point of view up, a hard to find video which shows how dishonest you are.

Do you support the slaughter of thousands of dogs a year who are too slow to race for the gamblers?

Paul Cooney

Giving his side.

It wont play unless I directly go to Youtube oh well.

Here we go. This is what all the fuss is about.

The races are like ONE MINUTE long.

You're the delusional one who watches videos with a fictional conclusion. Nice of you to put a pro racer point of view up, a hard to find video which shows how dishonest you are.

Do you support the slaughter of thousands of dogs a year who are too slow to race for the gamblers?
    No.

You are everything that is wrong with the animal rights industry.

How do you think a one minute race kills 121 dogs a year? That just doesnt make sense. There will be protests at krufts next.

And stop trying to divide people into teams pro racers anti racers etc. Its demented. No one is that political but you. No one. And you are deluded if you think otherwise. Or if you think its NORMAL to be that political about anything in particular animal rights which should ALWAYS come second to how to treat and respect people.

Funny thing is if you weren't being such dicks the greyhound industry as a whole would probably want to help you.

But the protestors are just acting insufferably. It would really hard to like them actually I am being honest. Which means they are probably not that smart.

• Advertisement

I am not gonna lie I am not gonna get through all of that! :o

Just read pages 1, 7 and 10. That’ll tell you all you need to know.

Advertisement