Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Clip from Good Morning Britain, Pro and Anti Racing views are given a voice.

There was a mention about the greyhounds brought over from good old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

No.

You are everything that is wrong with the animal rights industry.

How do you think a one minute race kills 121 dogs a year? That just doesnt make sense. There will be protests at krufts next.

And stop trying to divide people into teams pro racers anti racers etc. Its demented. No one is that political but you. No one. And you are deluded if you think otherwise. Or if you think its NORMAL to be that political about anything in particular animal rights which should ALWAYS come second to how to treat and respect people.

Funny thing is if you weren't being such dicks the greyhound industry as a whole would probably want to help you.

But the protestors are just acting insufferably. It would really hard to like them actually I am being honest. Which means they are probably not that smart.

Plenty of footage thanks to Primetime showing horrific injuries to dogs while racing on tracks. No child should witness that.

You the pro-racers are a tiny minority, the vast majority of the Irish public love dogs. We the majority don't want them shot in knackeries, killed on tracks, dumped by greyhound owners in quarries/ditches nor exported to hellholes in China/Pakistan.

Thousands of dogs per year put down for being too slow to race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

He says he is getting his figures form the IGB i reckon he is getting them from an animal welfare website. One of the more outrageous ones.

Sigh. Do try and keep up. The article linked to quote numbers from the IGB as presented in the Daíl, and reported in the Irish Examiner.

Do you need any more proof? Corpses on your doorstep perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

klaaaz wrote: »
    You're the delusional one who watches videos with a fictional conclusion. Nice of you to put a pro racer point of view up, a hard to find video which shows how dishonest you are. Do you support the slaughter of thousands of dogs a year who are too slow to race for the gamblers?

Again the personalisations and handwringing. You dont have to be a "pro racer"(sic) to spot the hyperbole and rubbish in a lot of what is being put forward as anti greyhound propaganda.

Plenty of footage thanks to Primetime showing horrific injuries to dogs while racing on tracks. No child should witness that.

You the pro-racers are a tiny minority, the vast majority of the Irish public love dogs. We the majority don't want them shot in knackeries, killed on tracks, dumped by greyhound owners in quarries/ditches nor exported to hellholes in China/Pakistan.

Thousands of dogs per year put down for being too slow to race

But the deluded greyhound racing supporters will say its fake news because they are frightened that Greyhound Racing will be banned.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Again the personalisations and handwringing. You dont have to be a "pro racer"(sic) to spot the hyperbole and rubbish in a lot of what is being put forward as anti greyhound propaganda.

Fake news media lad. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

mikeym wrote: »
    But the deluded greyhound racing supporters will say its fake news because they are frightened that Greyhound Racing will be banned.

This is so evil it has to be banned?

I think people just have to take one look at this race to see its not that harsh at all your granny could run for a minute.

I think the public just has to see actual greyhound races to realize its not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The figure given in that link detail 139 deaths out of 100000 dogs raced. That's a figure of 0.14%

Again not defending anything. However 0.14% is much less than 1%. Can it be reduced? I suppose it might - but even humans die whilst participating in sports. Do dogs die when being exercised? Yes they do. Do dogs die in their beds at night - yes they do. How do you suggest we reduce all these terrible deaths to zero?

Whataboutery at its finest. The dogs aren't volunteers. Exercise lol. This one is obvious. Fewer races fewer injuries and early age deaths. Healthier dogs and less overworked dogs probably would help. Does IGB limit races per year per dog?

This is so evil it has to be banned?

I think people just have to take one look at this race to see its not that harsh at all your granny could run for a minute.

Yawn you put that video up already.

Somewhere in Kerry recently, this is how the racing greyhounds are treated which is staunchly defended by the pro-racers here. Is that anyway to treat the dogs? No animal welfare at all.

• Advertisement

What are you on about. Your posts are rambling at best.

But the deluded greyhound racing supporters will say its fake news ...

Fake news media lad. ...

Yawn you put that video up already.

Doesn't anything in that video seem cruel to you? .

Look yer man spends ages cuddling his dog. take a look at the video you owe it to the dogs.

ALSO what are your opinions on sheepdog trials and Krufts??

Speedball at krufts. The speedball in krufts goes on longer than the greyhound races.

Around 2011 my mother did some graphic design for the DSPCA they wanted to use very shocking material for their stand at the RDS Dublin Horse Show. My mother warned them it wasn't the right approach. They ignored her and kept it the same and they weren't allowed have a stand for years after because of complaints. Some people won't be told though. The show relies on brands for sponsorship they don't want bad publicity there is a WAY to do things for the best and get them done.

And of course you have to add some doggie dancing.

Its lord dog of the dance.
    I have something in my eye. :o

Igotadose wrote: »
    ...The dogs aren't volunteers. Exercise lol. This one is obvious. Fewer races fewer injuries and early age deaths. Healthier dogs and less overworked dogs probably would help...

Lots of things do not involve animals as volunteers. Sheep dogs trials anyone? Maybe you should ask the greyhounds do they enjoy racing? The ones I've seen at my neighbours who keeps greyhounds do it naturally. The fat overfed pet dogs of the lady who moved here some years ago imo will have seriously forshortened lifespans.

Ok back to the last comment just because you didn't get it - the point was that there were 139 deaths out of 100000 dogs raced. That is equivalent to a figure of just 0.14% of deaths. You asked how to get it to zero. Answers on a postcard please...

Just read pages 1, 7 and 10. That’ll tell you all you need to know.
    I saw page ten postage shipping and donations to adoption groups.

Sheep dogs are not volunteers either. Neither are the flyball krufts dogs. Do we ban krufts and sheep dog trials?

take a look at this you really think a one minute race is that bad?

Its one thing to criticize bad things in an industry another to say its all bad.

I don't think any of the protestors at shelbourne have ever been at a race track in their lives. If they had they would realize how silly they look right now.

OMG people DO wanna ban Crufts. Also i have spelling it wrong all this time who knew?

https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/heres-why-peta-supports-the-activists-actions-at-crufts/

Activists stormed Crufts.

Sheepdog trials must be next.

Widespread doping at greyhound racing was highlighted 2 years ago. Actually many punters were conned of their money betting on dogs constantly drugged to their eyeballs.

Widespread doping at greyhound racing was highlighted 2 years ago. Actually many punters were conned of their money betting on dogs constantly drugged to their eyeballs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/is-no-contest-safe-crufts-is-dogged-by-drugs-scandal-565824.html

same doping issues at Crufts. :(
    IS NO CONTEST SAFE ? CRUFTS IS DOGGED BY DRUGGING SCANDAL

Dog eat dog world.

Who is her partner?

• Advertisement

If only all animals rights activists had this energy.

They would get ALL the sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Discodog wrote: »
    They rehome 500 per year - based on the past 10 years. A tiny drop in the ocean.

They pay a paltry €50 per dog & the vast percentage of the rehoming cost is paid by rescues that are always short of money & rely on donations.

When I rehomed through IGB, they paid towards neutering. When I rehomed through a rescue, I paid in full for neutering and a healthy donation was requested. I intended giving it anyway.

Why do you come across as indignant that you had to pay for neutering and a donation? A rescue is a charity that relies on public donations. Nobody should be picking up the tab for rehoming your greyhound but you. Do you realise how much it costs to keep that greyhound for months and months until they can be sent to a ned home abroad, which also has to be paid for.

Why do you come across as indignant that you had to pay for neutering and a donation? A rescue is a charity that relies on public donations. Nobody should be picking up the tab for rehoming your greyhound but you. Do you realise how much it costs to keep that greyhound for months and months until they can be sent to a ned home abroad, which also has to be paid for.

True. But i am being serious here. Most people who do the work are voluntary and a few have salaries sometimes high salaries. Where the money is allocated is not always transparent.

And the voluntary work is of questionable quality.

For instance I had a friend that volunteered to take a cat recently had a leg amputated. He didn't have a flat that was suitable (why he volunteered for it I don't know) but he took the cat to his parents home. And subsequently LOST it for three days. It escaped. My mother caught it for him in a cat trap eventually she set up in our garden because he kept coming to our house.

His stitched had become infected by that time though. The was ok in the end but it really didn't need to be so complicated.

Its really not good enough. Probably if he had been honest about his home situation they wouldn't have let him foster in the first place.

The cat didn't need to go through that. That is the DSPCA by the way it was totally irresponsible of them. The cat could have easily died but thankfully it was nothing more than infected stitches and a scary three days. It still didn't need to be that way though.

He acts as a foster home for dogs etc too. He only lives in a bedsit. I am not sure how he does it. I guess he brings them to his parents sometimes i dunno. It's kind of weird because when my brother asked why he didn't want a permanent pet he said it was because he didn't have the space for them. But apparently for fostering its ok.

I think yeah I am a little indignant at the self righteousness of some of the animal charities TBH. For the standard of care they give and the knowledge they have they should be a lot more HUMBLE.

Somewhere in Kerry recently, this is how the racing greyhounds are treated which is staunchly defended by the pro-racers here. Is that anyway to treat the dogs? No animal welfare at all.

There you go with that "pro racer" (sic) stuff again. As said earlier you dont have to be a fully signed up greyhound enthusiast or whatever to spot the misinformation and stench of bs.

Seriously though lol. That's a walker. Same as the ones used to exercise horses. The track is cushioned and the dogs / horses go along at normal pace and are exercised. It simulates been walked outdoors except they dont get wet or muddy. I know for example that horses will work away quite contented with not a bother. Tbh quite astounding tbh if a walker is the best which can offered up as an indication of 'cruelty'. In fact I'm nearly sure I came across a doggy day care centre which had one for exercising pampered pooches without the risk of dogs escaping, fights, inclement weather etc.

Why doesn't it surprise me that it was taken from the iscabs website :D. Bunch of muppets.

Oh my god i have just seen this.

2VM5d.jpg

THIS DOG BELONGS TO ONE OF THE ANTI RACING PROTESTORS.

It's obviously emaciated.

First WHY does a woman who calls herself an animal rights activist have an emaciated dog and why is said dog at a protest when its obviously in NO condition to be there??

What on EARTH are these people playing at?

THAT looks like animal abuse to me.

Oh my god i have just seen this.

2VM5d.jpg

THIS DOG BELONGS TO ONE OF THE ANTI RACING PROTESTORS.

It's obviously emaciated.

First WHY does a woman who calls herself an animal rights activist have an emaciated dog and why is said dog at a protest when its obviously in NO condition to be there??

What on EARTH are these people playing at?

THAT looks like animal abuse to me.

I wonder which one of these lovely 'Animal Rights Activists' is starving her dog?

If only all animals rights activists had this energy.

They would get ALL the sponsorship.

Thanks for that. That brought a smile to my face in another wise fairly negative thread.

Its quite amazing the feel good factor that kind of approach can generate as opposed to those being recorded screaming "fuk you" "fuk you" etc etc at staff just doing their job outside a race track ....

Thanks for that. That brought a smile to my face in another wise fairly negative thread.

Its quite amazing the feel good factor that kind of approach can generate as opposed to those screaming "fuk you" "fuk you" etc etc at staff just doing their job outside a race track ....
    Agreed. I think we could all remember that.

To the lady in the picture with the emaciated dog, if you are reading this go ask a vet what's wrong with him. It could be worms or something. But you shouldn't take him out at that weight he needs total rest. It's ok to ask people for help if you can't figure out his weight issue.

Also the puppy at the end with a heart collar is a pit bull baby ;)

How greyhounds are treated in China -

https://youtu.be/BUfu712tlkE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well that is thousands of people. Because the program hasn't hurt business. So i think you might need to get more flexible and start thinking how you can improve the business before the industry cuts you off complete and you look like extremist fools with zero influence with them or anyone.
    Because if you can't see beyond your views to realize that video looks TERRIBLE for you guys you are beyond help.

Animal charities work better when they are positive spaces not when they are a lot of political loons. That makes brands and sponsors stay away from them.

You clearly haven't read before posting. There is a list of sponsors who have withdrawn their support for racing because of the RTE program.

Are you suggesting that I am a protester, agitator, extremist or whatever is the latest insult ?

That long program looked terrible. It didn't show anything that many didn't already know. Why don't you tell us how you can breed enough puppies, that are good enough to race, without produce some that aren't ?

Advertisement