Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Discodog wrote: »
    So we can look forward to the RTE Program Greyhounds Revisited which will find that everything is rosy & no dogs die :rolleyes:

Sadly worse than that.

That program is already yesterdays news for most people. The greyhound industry will be more on alert now.

The issue will fade from memory for the majority of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sadly worse than that.

That program is already yesterdays news for most people. The greyhound industry will be more on alert now.

The issue will fade from memory for the majority of Irish people.

Then you will be happy.

But those images will never fade

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sadly much of this thread does appear to only concentrating on the absolute negatives and ignoring any and all of the positives. Apparently there is some even a denial that there was any co-operation between the Dogs Trust and the IGB! Crazy stuff!

It's like there is a mahoosive blackhole that all the facts get sucked into and only negativity gets spewed out. ;)

Thankfully things do change and the IGB and the Dogs Trust are working together to improve welfare for greyhounds. This despite a part of the recent legislation not having been passed in the Dail
    And this is the full goodnews story.
    Following the final debate of the new Greyhound Racing Bill 2018 which took place yesterday evening, Dogs Trust, Chair of the International Greyhound Forum (IGF), is disappointed that their proposed amendments regarding the export and traceability of Greyhounds was defeated in Seanad and Dáil Éireann and will not be included in the final Bill.

However, the forum welcomes the commitment by the Irish Greyhound Board (IGB) to make provisions regarding best practice when exporting Greyhounds, by expanding its existing Code of Practice.

The IGF was established almost 13 years ago by the former CEO of Dogs Trust, Clarissa Baldwin CBE and now includes animal welfare members such as the ISPCA, Irish Blue Cross, Paws Animal Rescue and The Retired Greyhound Trust as well as Industry members (Irish Greyhound Board, Irish Coursing Club, Greyhound Board of Great Britain) and members of the veterinary profession.

The IGB has vowed to engage and work with members of the IGF in formulating the expanded code. This is a positive step and one that we will continue to remain engaged in to ensure the protection of the welfare of all Irish Greyhounds through all stages of their life.

Despite neither the Greyhound export amendment nor traceability amendments being included, there were a number of positive outcomes in the final Bill. An amendment put forward by Dogs Trust, whereby the Irish Greyhound Board (newly titled Rásaíocht Con Éireann in the Bill) may make provisions for the rehoming of Greyhounds at the end of their racing or breeding career, was included. As well as that, an amendment that sought the inclusion of a veterinary practitioner on the Board of IGB, was accepted in the Bill.

https://www.dogstrust.ie/whats-happening/news/the-igf-welcomes-commitment-by-irish-greyhound-board-to-make-provisions-in-their-code-relating-to-export-of-greyhounds

Strangely it's almost like some do not want the positives published or known about. As far as I can see it's going in the right direction.

Thankfully groups like the Dog Trust (and yes even the IGB :eek:) dont take the same negative approach to these issues.

gozunda wrote: »
    Sadly much of this thread does appear to only concentrating on the absolute negatives and ignoring any and all of the positives. Apparently there is some even a denial that there was any co-operation between the Dogs Trust and the IGB! Crazy stuff!

It's like there is a mahoosive blackhooe that all the facts get sucked into and only negativity gets spewed out. ;)

Thankfully things do change and the IGB and the Dogs Trust are working together to improve welfare for greyhounds. This despite a part of the recent legislation not having been passed in the Dail
    And this is the full goodnews story.

https://www.dogstrust.ie/whats-happening/news/the-igf-welcomes-commitment-by-irish-greyhound-board-to-make-provisions-in-their-code-relating-to-export-of-greyhounds

Its almost like some do not want the positives published or known about. As far as I can see it's going in the right direction.

Thankfully groups like the Dog Trust (and yes even the IGB :eek:) dont take the same negative approach to these issues.

Can you post a link - always a good idea when you quote organisations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They still regularly put down a high number of healthy animals.

Can you please substantiate this statement?

dudara

• Advertisement

Can you post a link - always a good idea when you quote organisations ?

Ok just got a pm to say you were up to the usual shenanigans....

You cant see the link? Seriously???? The link is in what you quoted.!

This is a once off reply ...

Right enough of the nonsense. Following the last mod warning - I told you quite clearly many pages back I'm not engaging with you directly.

The continuous misquoting and false claims- like that there was no link provided are both tiresome and frankly pathetic.

Why would anyone bother with that type of rubbish ????

Now read away if you like but don't respond to any more of my comments. End of story :mad:

dudara wrote: »
    Can you please substantiate this statement?

dudara

https://www.thejournal.ie/ispca-shelter-1613009-Aug2014/

Dogs left for days without water in ISPCA shelter.

ISPCA puts down more strays than anyone.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ispca-shelters-put-down-more-strays-than-other-agencies-122468-Apr2011/

Look in the description of this video.

Yes their hooves are awful but those horses could have been rehabbed. They did NOT need to be put down for health reasons.

I will say this for that video though. At least their yard is clean.

BTW a lot of local authorities with SCPA in the name are not at all affiliated. So don't let it put you off them. Like GSPCA or DSPCA nothing to do with the ISPCA.

And yes its probably a huge funding issues too. But the chief exec before now had a very strange attitude towards animals for someone in the rescue business.

And the DSPCA never put a healthy animal down.

And the facilities are in good nick.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Only one breed is directly subsidized by the taxpayer. Why ignore that? It then makes logical sense that the initial focus is on improving the lot for one breed where we, the taxpayer, can directly influence those profiting from the use of that breed.There doesn't need to be a unified approach initially. Once the greyhound situation is worked out, lessons learned can be adopted to the plight of other breeds. However, it's critically important to not lose momentum brought about from the documentary.

Seriously? And you think that's an excuse not to have one unified approach for the welfare of all dogs? Get away with that rubbish.

There are issues with the over breeding of dogs right across all country.

Lots of interests recieve subsidies from the taxpayers - not all whom I agree with. But thats ok as I dont get to tell others what to do...

https://www.thejournal.ie/ispca-shelter-1613009-Aug2014/

Dogs left for days without water in ISPCA shelter.
    The story is from 2014, 5 years ago, and does not reference healthy animals being put down.

Again, this is from 2011, 8 years ago. Please provide current evidence.
    Look in the description of this video.

Yes their hooves are awful but those horses could have been rehabbed. They did NOT need to be put down for health reasons.

If you are the vet that authorised the euthanisation of these poor animals, then I will accept your opinion.

Please provide evidence to support statements that you make.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    The story is from 2014, 5 years ago, and does not reference healthy animals being put down.

Again, this is from 2011, 8 years ago. Please provide current evidence.

If you are the vet that authorised the euthanisation of these poor animals, then I will accept your opinion.

Please provide evidence to support statements that you make.

A vet doesn't always authorize euthanasia dudara.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2018/0914/993701-charity-regulator-concerns-at-ahar/

The Society reluctantly accepts that the humane destruction of healthy animals may sometimes be unavoidable and advocates that these animals be killed by a method which is both painless and effective, administered by responsible and properly trained individuals, in accordance with the latest researches of the Society.*

https://www.ispca.ie/policy/ispca_policy_on_companion_animals/

Its on their own current website.

I accept that you are highly passionate about this topic, but if you are going to make statements, you need to provide evidence. Otherwise Boards, and you yourself, may find itself facing legal action. Your opinion is not sufficient basis. This is not up for discussion.

I said this was not up for discussion.

dudara

Understood. @Dudara.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seriously? And you think that's an excuse not to have one unified approach for the welfare of all dogs? Get away with that rubbish.

There are issues with the over breeding of dogs right across all country.

Lots of interests recieve subsidies from the taxpayers - not all whom I agree with. But thats ok as I dont get to tell others what to do...

Which other interests get taxpayer subsidy? Not doubting it, seems interesting.

And, remember that greyhounds are overbred to support the racing industry. On the taxpayers dime. A unified approach is just 'perfect being the enemy of the good.' Overbreeding of other dogs doesn't exonerate the taxpayer-funded greyhound racing (and, seemingly, exporting) business.

As a taxpayer, one would hope you'd get a say in how your taxes are used. I realize it's not easy, but we can pressure our TD's, I've reached out to mine already since seeing the documentary.

Ok just got a pm to say you were up to the usual shenanigans....

You cant see the link? Seriously???? The link is in what you quoted.!

This is a once off reply ...

Right enough of the nonsense. Following the last mod warning - I told you quite clearly many pages back I'm not engaging with you directly.

The continuous misquoting and false claims- like that there was no link provided are both tiresome and frankly pathetic.

Why would anyone bother with that type of rubbish ????

Now read away if you like but don't respond to any more of my comments. End of story :mad:

Thanks for the link. But I reserve the right to reply to any comments I choose & I will do so politely until & unless someone shows me a rule where I can't.

Of course Welfare organisations are going to try & work with the IGB - what else are they going to say? Dogs Trust were very clear in that letter. No one can be in any doubt regarding their views & the content of the RTE program.

The ISPCA said (my bold):

The special documentary that aired last night, Wednesday 26th June 2019, raised many questions which have been previously highlighted by the ISPCA over a number of years.

Undercover filming by RTrevealed numerous failings on the part of the bodies tasked with regulating greyhound racing and coursing.

The ISPCA is calling on the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine to urgently examine the animal welfare and export issues linked with the greyhound industry, and to review the allocation of funding, given the governance issues highlighted.

They to are pretty clear about their views on the program & it's accuracy. Over many years is the key phrase. Nothing in that program was new to people involved in welfare.

Which other interests get taxpayer subsidy? Not doubting it, seems interesting.

And, remember that greyhounds are overbred to support the racing industry. On the taxpayers dime. A unified approach is just 'perfect being the enemy of the good.' Overbreeding of other dogs doesn't exonerate the taxpayer-funded greyhound racing (and, seemingly, exporting) business.

As a taxpayer, one would hope you'd get a say in how your taxes are used. I realize it's not easy, but we can pressure our TD's, I've reached out to mine already since seeing the documentary.

I have contacted a few & I haven't found one that thinks the program was unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

I have contacted a few & I haven't found one that thinks the program was unfair.

Politicians usually do agree with who they are talking to. However, there are very few Fianna Fáil or Fianna Gael politicians who will publicly go against greyhound racing, in rural areas especially. It would be political suicide.

Only one breed is directly subsidized by the taxpayer. Why ignore that? It then makes logical sense that the initial focus is on improving the lot for one breed where we, the taxpayer, can directly influence those profiting from the use of that breed.

There doesn't need to be a unified approach initially. Once the greyhound situation is worked out, lessons learned can be adopted to the plight of other breeds. However, it's critically important to not lose momentum brought about from the documentary.

It’s not exactly the taxpayer. It’s a levy on betting that is ringfenced for horse and greyhound racing. So unless you’re a gambler, it’s not your money.

jackboy wrote: »
    Politicians usually do agree with who they are talking to. However, there are very few Fianna F or Fianna Gael politicians who will publicly go against greyhound racing, in rural areas especially. It would be political suicide.

Yes I agree. But I don't think this is a town v country argument.

• Advertisement

It’s not exactly the taxpayer. It’s a levy on betting that is ringfenced for horse and greyhound racing. So unless you’re a gambler, it’s not your money.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they ringfenced 20% so that every dog could have a decent life ?

But those images will never fade

Which is why they were used. Ancient news. Outdated examples. Different breed of dog.

Which is why they were used. Ancient news. Outdated examples. Different breed of dog.

You really believe the breed thing. I bet a DNA would come back 100% Greyhound.

You really would think that people who care about dogs, as you & the ICC/IGB claim, would want to help all Greyhounds chipped or otherwise. It really shows the total lack of compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes I agree. But I don't think this is a town v country argument.

True, but politicians will generally choose what to say based on their constituents.

You really believe the breed thing. I bet a DNA would come back 100% Greyhound

Two of the most horrific scenes were of a dog being dispatched by machete and another being boiled alive. Neither were greyhounds.

jackboy wrote: »
    True, but politicians will generally choose what to say based on their constituents.

Oh, as much as I would love to see it banned, I know there isn't a ghost in hell's chance. But it will die over time.

Two of the most horrific scenes were of a dog being dispatched by machete and another being boiled alive. Neither were greyhounds.

Do you mean your version of Greyhound or mine ?

In any event it doesn't really matter. The point was to show what happens to some dogs.

The problem is that such scenes appeared to have been deliberatly designed as tabloid TV simply to gather ratings. Tbh that and the other inaccuracies and misinformation detailed and identified in this thread indicates to me that the programme was far from the usual standard of reporting I would expect from RTE.

That some of protests are based on some of this misinformation is in itself a big issue. That some are whipping up further hysteria of the back of same is truly inane imo.

This is a final warning to both discodog and gozunda. I am making this a public warning as I've had both of you buzzing in my ears via PM and I am sick of it.

Both of you are to cease engaging with each other in this thread. I do not want to see this spilling over into other threads either.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Actually those scenes were hardly mentioned in conversations I witnessed at work, and there were many. Perhaps people couldn't watch, or perhaps they were more like "China being China", I don't know. I didn't watch this part myself, far too squeamish.

The scene that got absolutely everyone talking was the shot dog dying in the doorway and the man waiting for the collar, and the fact that so many are killed off here, in knackeries or otherwise. People saying that they never thought about where unsuitable greyhounds go. It made them think alright.

Advertisement