Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

Most of the content was of a historical nature or from another country. Steps have been and will continue to be taken to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Steps have been taken to ensure WHAT doesn’t happen again ??
    Coursing, mass culling of dogs, leaving dogs writhing on the ground after a botched shooting, exporting dogs to china, sending dogs in vans to the UK without a break or even a drink of water for 15 hours?

.......to ensure which of these doesn’t happen again.....it didn’t sound like that on the documentary ??..... I’m confused :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Most of the content was of a historical nature or from another country. Steps have been and will continue to be taken to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

What steps have been taken to ensure that the industry is not allowed to kill 6000 dogs annually? How is it tracked and enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Steps have been taken to ensure WHAT doesn’t happen again ? Coursing, mass culling of dogs, leaving dogs writhing on the ground after a botched shooting, exporting dogs to china, sending dogs in vans to the UK without a break or even a drink of water for 15 hours? to ensure which of these doesn’t happen again.it didn’t sound like that on the documentary ? I’m confused :

On "culling" of dogs In 2015 alone some 13,500 dogs were taken in by dog pounds in Ireland.. Many of these dogs are killed because they are unwanted or abandoned by their owners with the result pet dogs being destroyed is not unusual in this country. And thats only the ones which reach the pounds ....

There is an issue with irresponsible ownership across the board I have no doubt.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    It's not unbalanced.

The alternative is simply to say "Most of these dogs are exported".

If you don't say where, people don't know and don't know why it's important. So you say China.

If you don't say what happens to them when they get there, people don't know and they don't know why it matters that they go to China. So you say they are exported there as food.

As with any statement of fact, if you are reporting honestly you should provide some evidence, particularly if your statement is something your audience is going to find unbelievable. So you show them footage to back up your assertions.

It's not unbalanced. Many people would not believe it otherwise and it is relevant to the discussion. The excess dogs are NOT rehomed.

It was totally unbalanced. IGB commissions a report to ascertain the number of dogs at any stage of their lives, in order to tighten regulations and its being used as a stick to beat them! Most of the footage shown was either years old or in another country. The sale of greyhounds to China has been banned already. The Cork transporter has already been dealt with. One greyhound was found years ago with its ears cut off. They didn’t show any follow up as all breeding greyhounds are DNA tested.

gozunda wrote: »
    On "culling" of dogs In 2015 alone some 14,500 dogs were taken in by dog pounds in Ireland.. Many of these dogs are killed because they are unwanted or abandoned by their owners with the result pet dogs being destroyed is not unusual in this country. And thats only the ones which reach the pounds ....

There is an issue with irresponsible ownership across the board I have no doubt.

916 dogs have been put down in Irish pounds in 2017 (latest stats: https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/879d4c-dog-control-statistics/), the number is falling sharply year on year too. The situation is still dire but there is no comparison with the fate of the 6000 greyhounds killed and accepted as waste in the racing industry. Please stop justifying this atrocity.

• Advertisement

Steps have been taken to ensure WHAT doesn’t happen again ??
    Coursing, mass culling of dogs, leaving dogs writhing on the ground after a botched shooting, exporting dogs to china, sending dogs in vans to the UK without a break or even a drink of water for 15 hours?

.......to ensure which of these doesn’t happen again.....it didn’t sound like that on the documentary ??..... I’m confused :confused::confused:

Yes. All of the above. That’s why the report was commissioned. To see what steps needed taking. The documentary participants were well animal rights activists. Shame on RTÉ for allowing themselves be hoodwinked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It's just a phrase. I meant nothing by it. It's hardly patronizing.

I am just telling you for years RTE DID NOT report this.

There are reasons ..for one pat kenny loved greyhound racing and was in the dogs a lot. And he was treated very well there. And there was a lot of motivation behind that treatment.

So i thought you might want to know why this took so long to come out.

The industry courted people in RTE for a long time. I thought it was important.

They used to have big events and invite people have corporate things.

That is why i was saying it. And yes it does have an affect. Lots of industries do it. Not just to celebs etc but people working behind the scenes in RTE. Directors etc.

I hope you understand better now.

I asked you above to stop patronising me and you do it again. Deliberately.

Pat Kenny loved greyhound racing, my brother once knew a Chinese person.
    There are plenty of other threads for spam.

It is sad to see an important thread going down this route.

Please have respect for the animals in last nights documentary if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

anewme wrote: »
    I asked you above to stop patronising me and you do it again. Deliberately.

Pat Kenny loved greyhound racing, my brother once knew a Chinese person.
    There are plenty of other threads for spam.

It is sad to see an important thread going down this route.

Please have respect for the animals in last nights documentary if nothing else.

I am not spamming and I am not patronizing you. Please spare me your righteous indignation. You care no more for animals than anyone else.

Your ad hominem attacks make no sense.

If you feel patronized perhaps its your own insecurity about your knowledge.

Its certainly nothing to do with the way I have treated you or your input.

It was totally unbalanced. IGB commissions a report to ascertain the number of dogs at any stage of their lives, in order to tighten regulations and its being used as a stick to beat them! Most of the footage shown was either years old or in another country. The sale of greyhounds to China has been banned already. The Cork transporter has already been dealt with. One greyhound was found years ago with its ears cut off. They didn’t show any follow up as all breeding greyhounds are DNA tested.

I would say it was made years ago and delayed.

Yes. All of the above. That’s why the report was commissioned. To see what steps needed taking. The documentary participants were well animal rights activists. Shame on RTÉ for allowing themselves be hoodwinked.

Who actually made it??

I mean produced it etc??

It would be weird for RTE to air something they really could not back up. They have a really conservative legal team who don't allow anything if they think they will be sued. They have massive oversights sometimes though.

• Advertisement

I would say it was made years ago and delayed.

Please. This has been going on for years alright but is still rampant as every sighthound rescue knows. Reports etc is just whitewashing by IGB; as if they have suddenly woken up!

We know that you have family in the industry but please remain realistic.

strandroad wrote: »
    Please. This has been going on for years alright but is still rampant as every sighthound rescue knows. Reports etc is just whitewashing by IGB; as if they have suddenly woken up!

We know that you have family in the industry but please remain realistic.

Oh no I know it's bent/cruel. Thats HOW i know.

I am just saying its surprising to me RTE took so long.

I was pondering on the reasons WHY etc if you know what i mean.

So are you categorically saying none of what was shown in last nights documentary is happening now ? And that it’s all history.... that we don’t need to lobby government departments or politicians or raise awareness of the treatment of greyhounds.... that we can all just sigh at the waste of 1.5 hours last night and get on with our lives, nothing to see? Are you honestly saying that ?

What was the point of this documentary...... RTÉ just trying to use up some surplus cash ?

I am not spamming and I am not patronizing you. Please spare me your righteous indignation. You care no more for animals than anyone else.

Your ad hominem attacks make no sense.

If you feel patronized perhaps its your own insecurity about your knowledge.

Its certainly nothing to do with the way I have treated you or your input.

Saying things to people like "I just wanted to let you know" and "I hope you understand better now" is patronising.

Posting idle gossip about my brother knows a Chinese person, or Pat Kenny liked greyhound racing is not knowledge and is derailing the thread by attention seeking.

I ignore it on other threads and stop going into them, but this one is important. Please have respect for the animals.

Saying things to people like "I just wanted to let you know" and "I hope you understand better now" is patronising.

Posting idle gossip about my brother knows a Chinese person, or Pat Kenny liked greyhound racing is not knowledge and is derailing the thread by attention seeking.

I ignore it on other threads and stop going into them, but this one is important. Please have respect for the animals.

I am sorry but you clearly dont know your stuff and are now getting personal.

I volunteer with animals have done since i was a teen my mother does too.

I walk the greyounds you are talking about.

https://grai.ie/category/news/

Here is the greyhound rescue association if anyone wants to donate as I just have. Or if you want to volunteer.

The DSPCA also takes greyhounds you can donate or volunteer there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

<SNIP>

Debating mod action on thread is not allowed. Please contact the mod directly to resolve.

dudara

I am sorry but you clearly dont know your stuff and are now getting personal.

I volunteer with animals have done since i was a teen my mother does too.

I walk the greyounds you are talking about.

It is great for you that you believe you are an expert on every topic.

I would ask again that you please respect the animals in last night's documentary.

I would ask again that you please respect the animals in last night's documentary.

How am I disrespecting them?

By donating to the Greyhound rescue and posting a link where you can too in this thread or by walking them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@anewme & @ILoveYourVibes - Stop it now please. You are both taking the thread off topic.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Greyhounds testing positive for cocaine
    Cocaine has been found a greyhound called Sniffing Out, as sport chiefs say there has been a spike in the number of race dogs testing positive for it.

The class A drug was discovered in hair or urine samples from four greyhounds last year, official documents show, raising fears that not enough is being done to protect animals from the effects of doping.

Trainers may give their animals cocaine to gain an advantage in racing: the drug makes animals “hyperactive” and run faster. But it can also cause tremors, panting and even deadly seizures or heart attacks.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/greyhound-race-cocaine-drug-dog-racecourse-sniffing-out-a8867926.html
    THE IRISH GREYHOUND Board (IGB) has confirmed that the winner of one of the biggest races in Ireland’s racing calendar has tested positive for cocaine.

Clonbrien Hero, who won the prestigious Irish Laurels, was found to have traces of the Class A drug on three separate occasions this year.

The failed tests were carried out at Cork Greyhound Stadium on 24 June, 1 July and 22 July. The dog is owned by Kay Murphy and trained by Graham Holland.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/clonbrien-hero-cocaine-positive-test-3596958-Sep2017/
    Four-year-old flyer Tristar was caught with the Class A party drug in his system after blowing away rivals on the track.The substance, which can boost performance, was discovered in a urine sample taken before he stormed to victory at the Shawfield track in Rutherglen, near Glasgow.

But despite fining trainer William Rae, 70, a disciplinary hearing ruled the bizarre case a “mystery” and let him keep his licence.

In a statement, the Greyhound Board of Great Britain said: “Something has gone seriously wrong when it is found that a greyhound has been exposed to cocaine.”
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2796421/greyhound-cocaine-shawfield-drug-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

How many of you have actually seen an Irish Hare running wild in Ireland?

It’s quite a sight and I’ve only seen it 3 times in my lifetime and it was so special every time.

There is a legal hunting season for hares. Can you believe it!
    I was shocked to learn this recently in a thread on the Hunting forum. I thought hares were now protected in Ireland.
    The hunter posting on boards was trying to justifying it claiming that research about hare numbers in decline was dubious.

Anyone complaining to the Dept of Ag about greyhound abuse might also demand better protection for hares.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

916 dogs have been put down in Irish pounds in 2017 (latest stats: https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/879d4c-dog-control-statistics/), the number is falling sharply year on year too. The situation is still dire but there is no comparison with the fate of the 6000 greyhounds killed and accepted as waste in the racing industry. Please stop justifying this atrocity.

Hyperbole much? Whose justifying what exactly. The fact is that there are irresponsible owners across the board. And that is a fact.

There is a legal hunting season for hares. Can you believe it!
    I was shocked to learn this recently in a thread on the Hunting forum. I thought hares were now protected in Ireland.
    The hunter posting on boards was trying to justifying it claiming that research about hare numbers in decline was dubious.

Anyone complaining to the Dept of Ag about greyhound abuse might also demand better protection for hares.
    Same for deer. You have to have a deer hunting license though.

gozunda wrote: »
    Hyperbole much? Whose justifying what exactly. The fact is that there are irresponsible owners across the board. And that is a fact.

You're comparing 916 dogs killed in pounds across all breeds and the entire population of Ireland, to 6000 dogs killed in a particular one breed industry. And it's not "irresponsible owners" killing greyhounds, it's part and parcel of their business model. Stop minimising the cruelty of what's going on "at the races".

You're comparing 916 dogs killed in pounds across all breeds and the entire population of Ireland, to 6000 dogs killed in a particular one breed industry. And it's not "irresponsible owners" killing greyhounds, it's part and parcel of their business model. Stop minimising the cruelty of what's going on "at the races".

What would you like to see done?

And what is likely to be realistic?

How many of you have actually seen an Irish Hare running wild in Ireland?

It’s quite a sight and I’ve only seen it 3 times in my lifetime and it was so special every time.

Dublin airport. You can see them at the car parks most days. I saw 4 the last time I was there.

Thanks for getting on by board- please also register your disgust with Dept. of Agriculture.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/customerservice/complaints/

It would be great for those of us who feel strong enough to voice our concerns. It is about the welfare of the dogs, after all.

What do you suggest?

1. Write to Dept of Agriculture? (Email sent there now)
    2. TD's?
    3. Do not attend / support any Greyhound Racing events and speak out when they are suggested.

Any other proposals? The more people the better who follow up.

What would you like to see done?

And what is likely to be realistic?

It should be illegal for the registered owner to kill a greyhound; they should be obliged to surrender them to rescues or pounds so that it is traceable like in the stats quoted above. The subsidy should be significantly diverted to said rescues or pounds with full traceability and rehoming targets set. Animal rescue subsidy was under 3mln last year if I'm not mistaken, the IGB got 16mln and they killed 6000 dogs. You could easily redirect millions to rescues and hundreds of thousands to promote greyhounds as pets.

• Advertisement

It should be illegal for the registered owner to kill a greyhound; they should be obliged to surrender them to rescues or pounds so that it is traceable like in the stats quoted above. The subsidy should be significantly diverted to said rescues or pounds with full traceability and rehoming targets set. Animal rescue subsidy was under 3mln last year if I'm not mistaken, the IGB got 16mln and they killed 6000 dogs. You could easily redirect millions to rescues and hundreds of thousands to promote greyhounds as pets.

You wouldn't like to see it wound down gradually like it has in the states??

Its banned in all but five states now.

There is no way you are going to be able to rehome 6000 k dogs a year if that is the true figure. Its not realistically doable.

Advertisement