Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

anewme wrote: »
    I will never visit any greyhound stadium or support this in any way in my life again. I can also state there will never be a social event to the dogs at my workplace ever again.

Whiie I dont doubt for one minute there are some amazing family owner trainers who do love their dogs and are totally genuine, theres too many questions that have no answers and the IGB have not done enough to deal with wrong doing.

They knew what was going on. It should not have taken that program to elicit action.

I work for a company with over 3000 staff. The sports & social club have come out said no more greyhound nights out. In fairness, I don’t think there really was that many. Maybe 2 in my time.

Ordinary good people knew what was happening in the industry and never came forward. Now they’re paying the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I work for a company with over 3000 staff. The sports & social club have come out said no more greyhound nights out. In fairness, I don’t think there really was that many. Maybe 2 in my time.

Ordinary good people knew what was happening in the industry and never came forward. Now they’re paying the price.

So you have kept saying. With that number of people most likely no one would have any idea what peoples preferences or interests would be. Saying otherwise is wishful thinkng or speculation at best imo..

There are asshats in all walks of life. It doesn't mean ordinary people don't do their best ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No company will want to be associated with it. It does not tie in with their values.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

No company will want to be associated with it. It does not tie in with their values.

Is association with horse racing ok.

It's not been raised ever as an option for a staff day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Look over there, they’re as bad as we are.

Didn't ask you that, you made a statement that no company wants to be associated with Greyhound racing, I'm asking for your opinion on companies associated with horse racing.

Didn't ask you that, you made a statement that no company wants to be associated with Greyhound racing, I'm asking for your opinion on companies associated with horse racing.

This thread is not ask me anything.

I'm stating that no company social Committee will arrange a night out at greyhound racing.

Hope that's clear.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Look over there, they’re as bad as we are.

No a lot worse yet do you think rte would do a hatchet job on them, of course not because it's worth too much money to them.

Anyway doesn't matter what we post here, everyone seems to at polar opposites.

I'm stating that no company social Committee will arrange a night out at greyhound racing.

Hope that's clear.

Ok so, what is your opinion on horse racing, should it be banned?

• Advertisement

Personally, I've no time for it and do not support it at all.

Would not attend.

Hope that's clear.

Taken a poll countrywide? Know what everyone and or company in the country is doing? There's a lot of stuff assumed - very little which is not even close to reality apparently .

Looks like the naysayers have ran out of ideas and are now trying to throw stones...
    Personally, I've no time for it and do not support it at all.Would not attend.

Tbh I think you astound us with that revelation ...

Because of a TV program built on lies? Charming. I wouldn’t want to be associated with people who are so gullible. How many companies have withdrawn their sponsorship? Red Mills have overturned their earlier decision and are now putting their sponsorship money into the retired greyhound support.

You must think most of Ireland is guillible then.

In our office, people were disgusted by the program. There will never be any dog racing nights out. Someone else said the same about a larger office with 3000 ppl.

You seem gullible yourself, if you think that any Company would promote something among their staff that would be so divisive and generate negative PR and bad will. No social committee would want to bring this on themselves.

Good on Red Mills to do that.

You must think most of Ireland is guillible then.

In our office, people were disgusted by the program. There will never be any dog racing nights out. Someone else said the same about a larger office with 3000 ppl.

You seem gullible yourself, if you think that any Company would promote something among their staff that would be so divisive and generate negative PR and bad will. No social committee would want to bring this on themselves.

Good on Red Mills to do that.

Greyhound folk were disgusting by the program too. Vested interests within RTE set out to do a hatchet job and show gullible people what they wanted them to see. There are groups of people whose only aim is to end greyhound racing by any means necessary. Facts and truth don't get in their way. They wouldn't have gotten the same reaction by showing the greyhounds at play or snuggled up in comfy beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I will never visit any greyhound stadium or support this in any way in my life again. I can also state there will never be a social event to the dogs at my workplace ever again.

Whiie I dont doubt for one minute there are dome amazing family owner trainers who do love their dogs and are totally genuine, theres too many questions that have no answers and the IGB have not done enough to deal with wrong doing.

They knew what was going on. It should not have taken that program to elicit action.

I do agree that IGB have been lax in their response to the RTÉ hatchet job.
    They should have called out the Vet on his lies. If he had proof of his accusations, why didn’t he act on them. His claims of numerous dogs having their ears mutilated in order to avoid detection are ludicrous. Especially when we all know that ALL greyhounds are both microchipped and DNA samples kept on file, so detection is possible.
    They should have been more outspoken about the use of old footage, taken in another country.
    The only facts shown were that a knackery was disposing of greyhounds.
    Everything else was incorrect or of a historical nature.
    Hardly a rte hatchet job. It was a brilliant programme that highlighted the evil so called sport of greyhound racing. After many years of complaining to Barry's tea about sponsering this cruelty. Rte managed to end their sponsorship in a couple of days. Let's give credit where it's due. I often wonder how the old man who sat in his car as his greyhound was shot in the head sleeps at night. Remember him he waited to collect the poor dead dogs collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hardly a rte hatchet job. It was a brilliant programme that highlighted the evil so called sport of greyhound racing. After many years of complaining to Barry's tea about sponsering this cruelty. Rte managed to end their sponsorship in a couple of days. Let's give credit where it's due. I often wonder how the old man who sat in his car as his greyhound was shot in the head sleeps at night. Remember him he waited to collect the poor dead dogs collar.

Whatever about your opinion on greyhound racing that was not a brilliant program. It was emotionally manipulative trash journalism at its worst.

The sponsors that have pulled out have been immediately replaced by the way. The greyhound racing industry did not need Barry’s tea in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Looks like we're back to the status quo of "everything is fine, stop picking on us!" by the usual people. Disappointing.
    The industry needs radical reform, and if it can't handle that it should be shut down. Doesn't look like there's an appetite for the former. From either "side" ironically

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

jackboy wrote: »
    Whatever about your opinion on greyhound racing that was not a brilliant program. It was emotionally manipulative trash journalism at its worst.

The sponsors that have pulled out have been immediately replaced by the way. The greyhound racing industry did not need Barry’s tea in any way.

Then, why only this milkwarm rebuttal by the IGB?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0628/1059097-greyhounds/

"In a statement, the IGB said its board "again condemned the illegal practices outlined" in the programme broadcast last Wednesday night.

Chairman Frank Nyhan said: "The actions evident by an irresponsible minority within the greyhound industry have no place in this sport and will not be tolerated.

"The IGB will continue to work with all agencies to ensure that such illegal activity is rooted out and those responsible are subject to prosecution for breaches of the law".

So, where's all the lies and old information you're banging on about? Why didn't the IGB say anything about it? Only through 'the industry' like yourself did we get some innuendo and misdirections about some of the information shared in the program - e.g., the vet in question was 'an activist'. Did the IGB say this? Or a couple punters in the bar?

See, it *was* a brilliant programme because it made the IGB do *something.* Otherwise, prior to the program, ZERO would have been done about the IGB. The knackery thing, for example, wasn't on IGB's radar to investigate.

As for the sponsors coming back, well, we'll see once the word gets out that there are new ones or old ones have returned.

As was pointed out, nothing new with this industry, just waiting for it to blow over and shouting anyone down that might question it, just like we see on the thread.

Also, bringing back a favorite topic, apparently coursing's been shut down this year due to an illness in hares. How about we don't bring it back at all, coursing's just a sadistic blood sport designed to titillate some neanderthals. IGB can rehome the dogs, and remove any responsibilities from the ICC, for some reason they're responsible for some aspects of data keeping on greyhounds, probably to give them the appearance of doing something for their salaries. Shut it down, poof, no more sadistic blood sport with state sponsorship.

So who are the new sponsers that support the horrific so called sport of abusing and killing innocent dogs. I know Boyle sports are one. Who are the others? They need like barrys bloody tea to be named and shamed.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Then, why only this milkwarm rebuttal by the IGB?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0628/1059097-greyhounds/

"In a statement, the IGB said its board "again condemned the illegal practices outlined" in the programme broadcast last Wednesday night.

Chairman Frank Nyhan said: "The actions evident by an irresponsible minority within the greyhound industry have no place in this sport and will not be tolerated.

"The IGB will continue to work with all agencies to ensure that such illegal activity is rooted out and those responsible are subject to prosecution for breaches of the law".

So, where's all the lies and old information you're banging on about? Why didn't the IGB say anything about it? Only through 'the industry' like yourself did we get some innuendo and misdirections about some of the information shared in the program - e.g., the vet in question was 'an activist'. Did the IGB say this? Or a couple punters in the bar?

See, it *was* a brilliant programme because it made the IGB do *something.* Otherwise, prior to the program, ZERO would have been done about the IGB. The knackery thing, for example, wasn't on IGB's radar to investigate.

As for the sponsors coming back, well, we'll see once the word gets out that there are new ones or old ones have returned.

As was pointed out, nothing new with this industry, just waiting for it to blow over and shouting anyone down that might question it, just like we see on the thread.

Also, bringing back a favorite topic, apparently coursing's been shut down this year due to an illness in hares. How about we don't bring it back at all, coursing's just a sadistic blood sport designed to titillate some neanderthals. IGB can rehome the dogs, and remove any responsibilities from the ICC, for some reason they're responsible for some aspects of data keeping on greyhounds, probably to give them the appearance of doing something for their salaries. Shut it down, poof, no more sadistic blood sport with state sponsorship.

Coursing has not been shut down, I thought after your last couple of posts where you accused an innocent family of drugging their dogs you might have put some thought into your posts, or at least learnt your to check your facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Coursing has not been shut down, I thought after your last couple of posts where you accused an innocent family of drugging their dogs you might have put some thought into your posts, or at least learnt your to check your facts.

Hmm. Just licenses then.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hare-coursing-suspended-over-rare-disease-4759979-Aug2019/

Pity, not shut down. It should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

So who are the new sponsers that support the horrific so called sport of abusing and killing innocent dogs. I know Boyle sports are one. Who are the others? They need like barrys bloody tea to be named and shamed.

Looks like Barry’s still haven’t been forgiven yet.

Looks like Barry’s still haven’t been forgiven yet.
    Lyons gold blend for me. After their carry on. !

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Because of a TV program built on lies? Charming. I wouldn’t want to be associated with people who are so gullible. How many companies have withdrawn their sponsorship? Red Mills have overturned their earlier decision and are now putting their sponsorship money into the retired greyhound support.

They haven't. They're giving nothing to the IGB, they're supporting independent rescues instead.

So you expect everyone to abide by your opinions? Afaik there was no 'carry on' by the sponsor. Simple sponsorship of a sporting interest. I would find it odd to expect sponsoship to support eneryones interests. It's not a popularity competition. Thankfully the screamers dont get to decide what others do or dont do - and if they manage to do so by bullying companies - there something clearly wrong..

gozunda wrote: »

So you expect everyone to abide by your opinions? Afaik there was no 'carry on' . Simple sponsorship of a sporting interest. I would find it odd to expect sponsoship to support eneryones interests. It's not a popularity competition. Thankfully the screamers dont get to decide what others do or dont do - and if they manage to do so by bullying companies - there something clearly wrong..
    You are completely missing the point. Myself and a lot of other caring people who deplore the horrific so called sport of greyhound racing asked and pleaded with Barry's tea numerous times to stop the sponsorship of the Ill treatment and murder of innocent dogs. They constantly refused. But after a brilliant rte investigates programme they suddenly withdrew sponsorship in a few days. Say what you like about rte but their programme was 100% true. I admire them for showing EXACTLY what those poor innocent animals go through in their short miserable lives.

gozunda wrote: »

So you expect everyone to abide by your opinions? Afaik there was no 'carry on' by the sponsor. Simple sponsorship of a sporting interest. I would find it odd to expect sponsoship to support eneryones interests. It's not a popularity competition. Thankfully the screamers dont get to decide what others do or dont do - and if they manage to do so by bullying companies - there something clearly wrong..

It is you who clearly does not understand the objectives of a sponsorship.

It's a marketing tool to connect with the consumer and create positive associations between a customer and a brand or product.

A sponsorship is set up to embrace the values of a company . It should add value, not create negative publicity. It should be relatively "safe" and stand up under scrutiny. A company will seek to eliminate negative associations with their product.

The idea of a sponsorship is that it does not offend large numbers of consumers. If it is in any way divisive or creates negative publicity, it is a failure snd sponsorship and will be stopped.

Barry's tea is a typical case of sponsorship gone wrong.

You are completely missing the point. Myself and a lot of other caring people who deplore the horrific so called sport of greyhound racing asked and pleaded with Barry's tea numerous times to stop the sponsorship of the Ill treatment and murder of innocent dogs. They constantly refused. But after a brilliant rte investigates programme they suddenly withdrew sponsorship in a few days. Say what you like about rte but their programme was 100% true. I admire them for showing EXACTLY what those poor innocent animals go through in their short miserable lives.

But it was clear that for the majority of responsible owners there was no "murder of innocent dogs" or even illteatment. Imo the RTE programme shows a few individuals who behaved irresponsibly.

Ok we get it - you don't like greyhound racing Many do - that's not debatable one way or the other. You may somehow think everyone who participates is horrible or whatever - however that's remains your opinion only.

That Barry's did not give in to a small minority who used an online campaign to put pressure in a company was laudable. After the RTE programme however - it is evident that the campaign escalated. In the face of such constant bombardment - they changed their sponsorship support. It is also clear that from what has been presented in this thread - much of the RTE programme was media hype.

• Advertisement

If it was a small minority, Barry's tea would have weathered the storm not have given up the sponsorship. They gave it up as huge numbers of their consumers spoke out and would have deserted their product.

It's called people power.

Advertisement