Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

anewme wrote: »
    If it was a small minority, Barry's tea would have weathered the storm not have given up the sponsorship. They gave it up as huge numbers of their consumers spoke out and would have deserted their product.It's called people power.

Would they? So pretty much the way that the sponsors of the Rose of Tralee decided to cancel their support in the face of harassment of the contestants and the organisers? Mob action is not democracy - best description of what is going on is (online) bullying. That there are few effective ways to prevent these organised tactics is clearly something which is being exploited by a few. And no this kind of coercion is not to be lauded by any right thinking individual imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you think Barry's dropped their sponsorship because of a few people, then you've a lot to learn.

Absolute PR disaster in how not to leverage sponsorships.

If you think Barry's dropped their sponsorship because of a few people, then you've a lot to learn. Absolute PR disaster in how not to leverage sponsorships.

Unfortunately that's how organised campaigns manage to leverage influence. Why do you think they don't try to appeal for change through normal channels? Because the fact is that screaming and roaring at all and sundry often does more damage than sitting down and working issues out. It also excludes any other voices or opinions - when those that scream the loudest want to get their way. But hey that's how things are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭anewme

gozunda wrote: »
    If you think Barry's dropped their sponsorship because of a few people, then you've a lot to learn. Absolute PR disaster in how not to leverage sponsorships.

Unfortunately that's how organised campaigns manage to leverage influence. Why do you think they don't try to appeal for change through normal channels? Because the fact is that screaming and roaring at all and sundry often does more damage than sitting down and working issues out. It also excludes any other voices or opinions - when those that scream the loudest want to get their way. But hey that's how things are.

Nothing about screaming and roaring.

This was a questionable sponsorship. Negative connotations.

It was ditched as Commercial decision by a business.

You said above that businesses wouldn't bow to consumers.

You could not be more wrong.

Nothing about screaming and roaring.This was a questionable sponsorship. Negative connotations.
    It was ditched as Commercial decision by a business.You said above that businesses wouldn't bow to consumers.You could not be more wrong.

The type of consumers going around calling it 'piss' tea etc ? The 'we dont like it - so it's our way or no way' brigade? Those consumers? Right get ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82,953 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE now showing live greyhound racing on RTE2, you couldn't make it up.

Always a great night at the races. Was in Kilcohan last weekend and the place was empty. Not a Saint nor sinner was seen. Barman was saying that since the documentary came out business has dropped like an anchor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

They tried banning greyhound racing over in oz a few years ago but the backlash was so strong it pretty much cost the NSW premier his job and they backtracked. Not sure how much power they have here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They tried banning greyhound racing over in oz a few years ago but the backlash was so strong it pretty much cost the NSW premier his job and they backtracked. Not sure how much power they have here.

Greyhound racing's banned in ACT and there's movement to ban it in SA. So, it's State-specific in Australia like it is in the US.

Who is "they" in your last sentence? Australians? I doubt that Australian have that much influence here.

RTE now showing live greyhound racing on RTE2, you couldn't make it up.

Contracts have to be adhered to. Ian Fortune spoke very well about the RTÉ hatchet job. Massive crowds in Shelbourne Park the last two Saturday’s. Best of Luck to all connections in next weeks final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Contracts have to be adhered to. Ian Fortune spoke very well about the RTÉ hatchet job. Massive crowds in Shelbourne Park the last two Saturday’s. Best of Luck to all connections in next weeks final.

Ian Fortune spoke very nasty calling critics of the greyhound dog killing industry as liars and also said that greyhound racers are not in it for the money on the very competition where the top prize yields 140k!!:rolleyes:

And oh, attendance is down 40% at Shelbourne since the RTE truthful revelation about the horrors of dog racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭jackboy

klaaaz wrote: »
    Ian Fortune spoke very nasty calling critics of the greyhound dog killing industry as liars and also said that greyhound racers are not in it for the money on the very competition where the top prize yields 140k!!:rolleyes.

Only a tiny minority of greyhound racers have any hope of a shot at that prize.

Ian Fortune spoke very nasty calling critics of the greyhound dog killing industry as liars and also said that greyhound racers are not in it for the money on the very competition where the top prize yields 140k!!:rolleyes:

And oh, attendance is down 40% at Shelbourne since the RTE truthful revelation about the horrors of dog racing.

He didn’t call them liars. He said that their actions were as a result of the lies told in the RTÉ hatchet job.

And it’s true that very few make money out of racing greyhounds. It’s in interest. A hobby. A way of life.

If last two Saturday’s attendances are anything to go by, numbers are as good as ever.

He didn’t call them liars. He said that their actions were as a result of the lies told in the RTÉ hatchet job.

And it’s true that very few make money out of racing greyhounds. It’s in interest. A hobby. A way of life.

Wish my hobbies were subsidized by the gov't as well as this one is.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

If last two Saturday’s attendances are anything to go by, numbers are as good as ever.

If someone told me in real life their way of life is abusing animals I would physically assault them, no joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The RTE presenter had to do a clarification at the end to counter what Ian disgracefully said, the presenter said the critics of the greyhound industry are indeed sincere.

In case you didn't read the first time, attendance is down 40% at Shelbourne since June and was falling before the horrific revelations. 2 or 3 nights of support from their own racing community in a year does not sustain the stadium for 4 nights racing a week where it's mostly empty.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Wish my hobbies were subsidized by the gov't as well as this one is.

Subsidised by a levy on gambling.

Subsidised by a levy on gambling.

Subsidies a subsidy. It could be used for the HSE, with the appropriate regulation.

The RTE presenter had to do a clarification at the end to counter what Ian disgracefully said, the presenter said the critics of the greyhound industry are indeed sincere.

In case you didn't read the first time, attendance is down 40% at Shelbourne since June and was falling before the horrific revelations. 2 or 3 nights of support from their own racing community in a year does not sustain the stadium for 4 nights racing a week where it's mostly empty.

There’s no doubting their sincerity. Their beliefs stem from a TV show built on lies.

Greyhound racing's banned in ACT and there's movement to ban it in SA. So, it's State-specific in Australia like it is in the US.

Who is "they" in your last sentence? Australians? I doubt that Australian have that much influence here.
    I meant "they" as in the NSW government backtracked when the media turned on them. Why would I say Aussies have influence here? Do you read posts before you reply?

• Advertisement

I meant "they" as in the NSW government backtracked when the media turned on them. Why would I say Aussies have influence here? Do you read posts before you reply?

Do you reread your posts when answering questions about them?
    The *last* sentence in your they-laden post, is "Not sure how much power they have over here."

So, who are 'they'? The Australians? The Australian Media? The media here? The anti-racing people? The pro-racing people? The NSW government?

The *last* sentence in your they-laden post, is "Not sure how much power they have over here."

So, who are 'they'? The Australians? The Australian Media? The media here? The anti-racing people? The pro-racing people? The NSW government?
    I'll put it into 2 words for you. "Mike Baird"

I wasn't looking to have a row over racing. I don't have any opinions on it one way or the other I was just pointing out that in NSW a few years ago the government decided to ban greyhound racing and after a long campaign by the media basically 2GB ie Ray Hadley and Alan Jones the government backed down. If my post came across as being against or for racing I apologise.

I see Greyhound racing back on RTE2 TV this evening- did anyone watch the start? was there any mention about this particular story?

Greyhound derby on now.

Boylesports is all over the captions this evening as sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I see Greyhound racing back on RTE2 TV this evening- did anyone watch the start? was there any mention about this particular story?

Greyhound derby on now.

Boylesports is all over the captions this evening as sponsors.
    Yeah noticed that myself. Ok. Well rte investigates programme got rid of barrys tea constant sponsering of this so called sport of greyhound racing. Maybe similar could be done to Boyle f....ing sports.

Yeah noticed that myself. Ok. Well rte investigates programme got rid of barrys tea constant sponsering of this so called sport of greyhound racing. Maybe similar could be done to Boyle f....ing sports.

As I said earlier in this thread, not interested in "burying" Greyhound Racing per-se- but would like reassurances that the industry is cleaning up its act.
    I suppose, short of proper legislation, that won't happen.

I've seen the outcomes still of the GH industry in the dog rescue centres over the past few months so not interested in supporting them at present.

Money and jobs will get this sorted- job losses at the tracks, job losses with the breeders, money lost at the track, money lost by the breeders- common sense will hopefully prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

The track and the derby looked great albeit a bit wet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You must be joking do you know anything about Boylesports?

Do you their clientele?

Its a huge bookmaker. They are ARE greyhound racing.

You must be joking do you know anything about Boylesports?

Do you their clientele?

Its a huge bookmaker. They are ARE greyhound racing.

They could well be brought to their knees- no people at the track, no Greyhound racing - no broadcast by RTÉ, another big dent in greyhound racing- if what you’re saying is true, then Boylesports will naturally respond positively with major provable inroads in dog care :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They could well be brought to their knees- no people at the track, no Greyhound racing - no broadcast by RTÉ, another big dent in greyhound racing- if what you’re saying is true, then Boylesports will naturally respond positively with major provable inroads in dog care :)

With all due respect you obviously have no idea about the company and should stop commenting on them until you do your research.

They are a major sports betting and online poker companies. Football tennis horseracing ..you name it you place a bet with them on it whether it be live or online.

It would not bring them down and i assure you 99% of their clientele don't care about animals.
    Nor do they care about the squeaky clean image barry's tea does.

People don't have to go to greyhound racing for the industry to rake it in..they will just bet online.

Nor will protestors worry their clientele in fact it might enhance the companies reputation.

Not very liberal are the vast majority of gamblers. In fact most of the marketing focuses on the hardman who doesn't give a **** image.

Not saying i agree with it. But you have to understand your opposition.

No it will not bring them to their knees infact they have the money to bring the anti campaign to its knees.

Everything you hate they admire.

For boylesports profit is the bottom line they know their clientele are exactly going to stop because puppies get eaten. You might not like it but its a fact.

You think greyhound racing is bad ...boylesports is sleazier as a company. And they sponsor a lot of sports golf etc football.

The annual turnover for Boylesports is one BILLION per annum.

And yes they love the fact its state subsided. And they have no souls. Just so you know who you are dealing with.

Advertisement