Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

And the name of the dog that came second in the Boylesports Irish Derby? Boylesports King. Owned by John Boyle. Only beaten a neck in a very thrilling race in front of a huge crowd.

With all due respect you obviously have no idea about the company and should stop commenting on them until you do your research.

They are a major sports betting and online poker companies. Football tennis horseracing ..you name it you place a bet with them on it whether it be live or online.

It would not bring them down and i assure you 99% of their clientele don't care about animals.
    Nor do they care about the squeaky clean image barry's tea does.

People don't have to go to greyhound racing for the industry to rake it in..they will just bet online.

Nor will protestors worry their clientele in fact it might enhance the companies reputation.

Not very liberal are the vast majority of gamblers. In fact most of the marketing focuses on the hardman who doesn't give a **** image.

Not saying i agree with it. But you have to understand your opposition.

No it will not bring them to their knees infact they have the money to bring the anti campaign to its knees.

Everything you hate they admire.

For boylesports profit is the bottom line they know their clientele are exactly going to stop because puppies get eaten. You might not like it but its a fact.

You think greyhound racing is bad ...boylesports is sleazier as a company. And they sponsor a lot of sports golf etc football.

The annual turnover for Boylesports is one BILLION per annum.

And yes they love the fact its state subsided. And they have no souls. Just so you know who you are dealing with.
    And- with due respect to your post- I’ll leave it there and wait and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why don't RTE broadcast bullfighthing of a Friday night, less animals are killed than in the greyhound industry in this country.

And the name of the dog that came second in the Boylesports Irish Derby? Boylesports King. Owned by John Boyle. Only beaten a neck in a very thrilling race in front of a huge crowd.

I noticed this evening that every single dog trainer or owner broadcast on our national television station were emphasizing the condition and care devoted to the dog itself.

What the juxtaposition is right now, is the gap between how high performing dogs are treated and the rest- I observed some “stammers”, let’s call them that, from so called “experts” , when asked such questions in quite an innocuous way -on our national broadcast channel 2- let’s wait and see- if RTÉ continue to fund an industry that treats dogs so badly in the way I’ve seen over last few months, they will have extreme difficulty extracting my license fee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The new ad they have on radio for greyhound racing 'Christmas parties' tells me it will be killed off in this country within the next 24 months, no harm.

• Advertisement

The new ad they have on radio for grehound racing 'Christmas parties' tells me it will be killed off within the next 24 months, no harm.

Have t heard it - any links?

So, as it happens, my TV license is up for renewal.

Find your local anpost tv license email address at the following link and please email them asking why should you renew your license fee considering the Greyhound issue highlighted in an RTÉ programme but the so called sport is still broadcast by RTÉ, has not been resolved.

https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Records+Office+List.htm

- we’ll wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Why don't RTE broadcast bullfighthing of a Friday night, less animals are killed than in the greyhound industry in this country.

They also showed racing from Lepordstown last week and the Galway races when was your outrage than.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Find your local anpost tv license email address at the following link and please email them asking why should you renew your license fee considering the Greyhound issue highlighted in an RTÉ programme but the so called sport is still broadcast by RTÉ, has not been resolved.

https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Records+Office+List.htm

- we’ll wait and see

Are you going to set an example and not pay yours so?

I noticed this evening that every single dog trainer or owner broadcast on our national television station were emphasizing the condition and care devoted to the dog itself.

What the juxtaposition is right now, is the gap between how high performing dogs are treated and the rest- I observed some “stammers”, let’s call them that, from so called “experts” , when asked such questions in quite an innocuous way -on our national broadcast channel 2- let’s wait and see- if RTÉ continue to fund an industry that treats dogs so badly in the way I’ve seen over last few months, they will have extreme difficulty extracting my license fee :)

Don’t you dare suggest that I illtreat my greyhounds. It takes as much time, effort and food to train a grader as a classic winner.

I’m sure that you reported the abuse that you witnessed first hand to the Gardai.

I don’t get your point on RTÉ funding greyhound racing.

• Advertisement

- we’ll wait and see

The only issue highlighted was the killing of greyhounds in knackeries.

As already stated, the rest were isolated incidences in other countries and blatant lies told by one person who has a vested interest.
    While traceability isn’t what it should be, it is possible as all greyhounds are microchipped AND have a DNA profile on record.

How many prosecutions were instigated by the Vet who claimed widespread EPO abuse and the widespread mutilation of greyhounds ears to hide their earmarks?
    ZERO. ZILCH. NONE. What does that tell one?

BTW, Post Offices only collect the license fee money. Same as the do dog licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Because the RTÉ program was not made to highlight an issue. It was an emotionally manipulative entertainment program (why else show dog cooking in China).

The protests have mostly died away also. This shows that most of the protesters did not care about about animal welfare. They just wanted to abuse and scream at strangers.

[QUOTE=Deleted User;111313512]Don’t you dare suggest that I illtreat my greyhounds. It takes as much time, effort and food to train a grader as a classic winner.

I’m sure that you reported the abuse that you witnessed first hand to the Gardai.

I don’t get your point on RTÉ funding greyhound racing.[/QUOTE]

What are you rabbiting on about- I don’t even know you no less stated you were ill treating dogs- you’re coming across as mad as a bag of cats- calm down dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What are you rabbiting on about- I don’t even know you no less stated you were ill treating dogs- you’re coming across as mad as a bag of cats- calm down dear.

You suggested that abuse of greyhounds is widespread and that only the open class ones are treated properly. I take exception to your blanket accusations. You also said that you’ve witnessed said abuse. I sincerely hope that you reported this abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Anyone know where to find the IGB annual report for 2018? Their website only goes up as far as 2017.

https://www.igb.ie/Resource/reports-and-statistics/annual/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Oh no. Please dont give the animal abusers any more ideas.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find the IGB annual report for 2018? Their website only goes up as far as 2017.

https://www.igb.ie/Resource/reports-and-statistics/annual/

It has to go before the department of agriculture first and will then be published. Should be in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

jackboy wrote: »
    The protests have mostly died away also.

You wish in your dreams. About 300 protested outside the Shelbourne Derby with a dozen Gardai present protecting the protesters, alot of whom were dressed in black mourning the thousands of dogs massacred every year for taxpayer subsidised dog killing gambling.

klaaaz wrote: »
    You wish in your dreams. About 300 protested outside the Shelbourne Derby with a dozen Gardai present protecting the protesters, alot of whom were dressed in black mourning the thousands of dogs massacred every year for taxpayer subsidised dog killing gambling.
    That was a once off for the Derby final. The protests are dying away. Was there 300 there the week before? Will there be 300 there next week?

And you know saying that the Gardai were present to protect the protesters is not true.

• Advertisement

Double vision, or in this case quadruple vision is a curse!

Those in black (not tee shirts) were from Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Not a chance was there 300 there.there was 30 - 40 max when I went in and once the rain got heavy they went home.that was an hour before the first race.
    There was plenty of gardai there.
    There was nobody there after the racing only taxis.

Those in black (not tee shirts) were from Scotland.

Which ones in black? The vast majority of the protesters wore black.
    Not a chance was there 300 there.there was 30 - 40 max when I went in and once the rain got heavy they went home.that was an hour before the first race.
    There was plenty of gardai there.
    There was nobody there after the racing only taxis.

There was 300 there even during the heavy rain showers, the paths on both sides were jammers with people out protesting. It depends on your time when you went in to support killing dogs for sport:mad:, the protest started in daylight and dispersed in the darkness. Nobody protests after racing is over which you already know, protests always occur before racing begins.

There was 300 there even during the heavy rain showers, the paths on both sides were jammers with people out protesting. It depends on your time when you went in to support killing dogs for sport:mad:, the protest started in daylight and dispersed in the darkness. Nobody protests after racing is over which you already know, protests always occur before racing begins.

The Scots wore lovely mourning garb and held black flags. They were silent and respectful. Unlike some of the others. Standing on footpath blocking people’s way, screaming into people’s faces.

I would have thought that most protesters would be there when the dogs and racegoers would enter the stadium. At 6pm numbers were roughly 50. That’s the time most racegoers were arriving.

The great crowd inside the stadium were treated to a great nights racing.

The Scots wore lovely mourning garb and held black flags. They were silent and respectful. Unlike some of the others. Standing on footpath blocking people’s way, screaming into people’s faces.

I would have thought that most protesters would be there when the dogs and racegoers would enter the stadium. At 6pm numbers were roughly 50. That’s the time most racegoers were arriving.

The great crowd inside the stadium were treated to a great nights racing.

Funny Mary. The people in period costume mourning style for the thousands of greyhounds slaughtered every year for sport were Dubs, unless Dubs have Scottish accents now? :rolleyes:

Most of the 300 dogs rights protesters were there on both sides of the street when punters were entering at the time of 6pm, they stayed during the heavy rain showers as well. The Gardai drafted in a few extra resources on top of the Gardai already stationed around the entrance to help manage the crowds as well as to ensure that there was no aggression from the racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Wearing a black jumper with repeal on the front while shouting and moralising about dogs going around in circles.

As I already said it was an hour or so before the first race and there was only a fraction of the 300 protesters you claim to have been there,present at the time.30-40 people at the very most shouting personal abuse at race goers.so much for a peaceful protest eh?

Funny Mary. The people in period costume mourning style for the thousands of greyhounds slaughtered every year for sport were Dubs, unless Dubs have Scottish accents now? :rolleyes:

Most of the 300 dogs rights protesters were there on both sides of the street when punters were entering at the time of 6pm, they stayed during the heavy rain showers as well. The Gardai drafted in a few extra resources on top of the Gardai already stationed around the entrance to help manage the crowds as well as to ensure that there was no aggression from the racers.

The only aggression I witnessed was from the protesters shouting personal abuse at race goers in an obvious attempt to intimidate and goad them which failed.
    There were 30 or 40 people there protesting max.

Wearing a black jumper with repeal on the front while shouting and moralising about dogs going around in circles.

What?
    As I already said it was an hour or so before the first race and there was only a fraction of the 300 protesters you claim to have been there,present at the time.30-40 people at the very most shouting personal abuse at race goers.so much for a peaceful protest eh?
    The only aggression I witnessed was from the protesters shouting personal abuse at race goers in an obvious attempt to intimidate and goad them which failed.
    There were 30 or 40 people there protesting max.

You obviously didn't look around you or can't count or you arrived too early or too late. Lots of personal abuse from a nasty element of racers.

Interestingly, the majority of the protesters were female yet the majority of the racers are male(surprise surprise). Those nasty racers amongst your flock have a problem with women, god knows what they do to their dogs the poor canines :(

• Advertisement

Interestingly, the majority of the protesters were female yet the majority of the racers are male(surprise surprise). Those nasty racers amongst your flock have a problem with women, god knows what they do to their dogs the poor canines :(

Using this logic the protesters have a problem with men.

Advertisement