Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

jackboy wrote: »
    This part is why horse racing is brought into the discussion. Fair enough there are differences between the industries and horse injuries are far more difficult to fix. However, the anti greyhound racing posters are saying that lots of greyhounds die racing and the industry supports gambling. That is the link.

You're choosing one part of an argument and using the fact that they are not campaigning for horse racing as if it makes the greyhound discussion less important. It's probably the most illogical way of thinking or ridiculous argument you could put forward.

By that logic why stop at horse racing. There is thousands of animals killed for "sport" across the world. Foxes, bulls, dogs, horses the lot. Do people need to campaign for the entire suite of animal related sports before an argument becomes good enough in your head?

What if someone really doesn't like MMA and does not agree with the number of deaths. Do they similarly need to campaign for the demise of boxing? People have died playing football also, and rugby, they obviously need to campaign against those industries as well?

Of course they are linked, they are both animal racing.

With very very different issues at this current stage in their industries. If you guys are so concerned, surely go start campaigning for horseracing? But by your logic you'd also need to campaign for Greyhounds, so it's kind of chicken and egg at that logic;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

wardides wrote: »
    You're choosing one part of an argument and using the fact that they are not campaigning for horse racing as if it makes the greyhound discussion less important. It's probably the most illogical way of thinking or ridiculous argument you could put forward.

Well I think it just says something about the protesters. I’m not talking about the ones protesting for years but the new ones that emerged after the rte program. If they are genuine it makes no sense to focus exclusively on greyhound racing. I don’t believe that most of these people are genuine. I think most of them are just using the excuse to troll people online and scream at people on the streets. I don’t think they care about animals.

Well I think it just says something about the protesters. I’m not talking about the ones protesting for years but the new ones that emerged after the rte program. If they are genuine it makes no sense to focus exclusively on greyhound racing. I don’t believe that most of these people are genuine. I think most of them are just using the excuse to troll people online and scream at people on the streets. I don’t think they care about animals.

Agree to an extent, but you will get that with all forms of protesting. I don't think it makes the cause any less warranted, nor does it have any baring on the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s alright to compare tobacco companies with the gambling industry along with dog food manufacturers but it’s not alright to compare dog racing to horse racing.
    Laughable.wheres the logic in that.

• Advertisement

It’s alright to compare tobacco companies with the gambling industry along with dog food manufacturers but it’s not alright to compare dog racing to horse racing.
    Laughable.wheres the logic in that.

I didn’t compare the industries. I’m highlighting the concept of using knock on job losses across several sectors within those industries as being close minded. The same arguments where put forward when those industries went through changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wardides wrote: »

By that logic why stop at horse racing. There is thousands of animals killed for "sport" across the world. Foxes, bulls, dogs, horses the lot. Do people need to campaign for the entire suite of animal related sports before an argument becomes good enough in your head?

What if someone really doesn't like MMA and does not agree with the number of deaths. Do they similarly need to campaign for the demise of boxing? People have died playing football also, and rugby, they obviously need to campaign against those industries as well?

People choosing to play football or box do just that; choose. Animals do not choose . No animal chooses to be exploited. Big difference.

Graces7 wrote: »
    People choosing to play football or box do just that; choose. Animals do not choose . No animal chooses to be exploited. Big difference.

By that logic we should ban breeding animals for food, milk, eggs etc.
    You cannot make a greyhound run if it doesn't want to. It's in their DNA. Most greyhounds leave the track wagging their tails. The 2012 Derby winner was paraded in shelbourne Park Friday night and he kept trying to pull his owner to the traps! He wanted to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

By that logic we should ban breeding animals for food, milk, eggs etc.
    You cannot make a greyhound run if it doesn't want to. It's in their DNA. Most greyhounds leave the track wagging their tails. The 2012 Derby winner was paraded in shelbourne Park Friday night and he kept trying to pull his owner to the traps! He wanted to run.

Predictable and effetely misleading response

Food is one thing; exploiting animals for racing is another. and to create and support a whole industry thereby
    . all about money.
    And of course any dog will try to please his master, which makes the exploitation ever more barbaric . THAT is what is in their DNA. Servility and devotion. Utter love.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Exactly. They're the most self centered, disingenuous cretins you're likely to come across. With their placards, flat whites, fluorescent hair and i phones.

And I hate to break the news but the last time I seen the ****lib rent a mob in action at my local track was before that prime time program was broadcast.

If there are genuine concerns for animal welfare then they'd do well to distance themselves from people like the Una Mullaley LGBT warriors who really are just trying to ram an agenda down people's throats.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Predictable and effetely misleading response

Food is one thing; exploiting animals for racing is another. and to create and support a whole industry thereby
    . all about money.
    And of course any dog will try to please his master, which makes the exploitation ever more barbaric . THAT is what is in their DNA. Servility and devotion. Utter love.

Are you suggesting that we give animals the same rights as humans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Exactly. They're the most self centered, disingenuous cretins you're likely to come across. With their placards, flat whites, fluorescent hair and i phones.

And I hate to break the news but the last time I seen the ****lib rent a mob in action at my local track was before that prime time program was broadcast.

If there are genuine concerns for animal welfare then they'd do well to distance themselves from people like the Una Mullaley LGBT warriors who really are just trying to ram an agenda down people's throats.

Seriously, you can make your point without dragging your prejudices about other matters into this argument. It's easy, look:

"Exactly. They're the most self centered, disingenuous cretins you're likely to come across. With their placards, flat whites, fluorescent hair and i phones.

And I hate to break the news but the last time I seen the rent a mob in action at my local track was before that prime time program was broadcast.

If there are genuine concerns for animal welfare then they'd do well to distance themselves from people like Una Mullaley who really are just trying to ram an agenda down people's throats."

There. Sorted for you and you lost none of your hate-filled vitriol but no longer are coming across as specifically homophobic. You're welcome.

You do need to relax though. Worrying about the colour of people's hair and the type of phone they use. :rolleyes:

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Seriously, you can make your point without dragging your prejudices about other matters into this argument. It's easy, look:

"Exactly. They're the most self centered, disingenuous cretins you're likely to come across. With their placards, flat whites, fluorescent hair and i phones.

And I hate to break the news but the last time I seen the rent a mob in action at my local track was before that prime time program was broadcast.

If there are genuine concerns for animal welfare then they'd do well to distance themselves from people like Una Mullaley who really are just trying to ram an agenda down people's throats."

There. Sorted for you and you lost none of your hate-filled vitriol but no longer are coming across as specifically homophobic. You're welcome.

You do need to relax though. Worrying about the colour of people's hair and the type of phone they use. :rolleyes:

Except there was nothing homophobic in that post.

I'm still waiting for the genuine people who actually do care about these dogs to appear and tell me that I have this all wrong.

I won't hold my breath.

Except there was nothing homophobic in that post.

I'm still waiting for the genuine people who actually do care about these dogs to appear and tell me that I have this all wrong.

I won't hold my breath.

Using "LGBT warriors" like it's a derogatory term is homophobic.

And stop pretending it's a rural v city thing - I live in rural Ireland, on a farm, and our county voted both for same sex marriage and the repealing the 8th. We don't live in the 80's anymore.

But again, you're dragging in issues that have nothing to do with this. I won't tell you you're wrong - I don't know where the all protestors are from, what they wear or what they look/dress like. Who cares?!

All that matters is whether you think there are issues in the greyhound industry and whether they can be resolved. If you don't think there are issues, grand. Argue that.

And stop pretending it's a rural v city thing - I live in rural Ireland, on a farm, and our county voted both for same sex marriage and the repealing the 8th. We don't live in the 80's anymore.

But again, you're dragging in issues that have nothing to do with this. I won't tell you you're wrong - I don't know where the all protestors are from, what they wear or what they look/dress like. Who cares?!

All that matters is whether you think there are issues in the greyhound industry and whether they can be resolved. If you don't think there are issues, grand. Argue that.

Not true. I know 'homosexuals' embarrassed by all that crap. Not that I'd blame them.

If you voted to legitimise baby death you have no business telling the rest of us that dogs going around in circles is cruel. As I've already said:

No kennel no opinion. Dog owners dog - dog owners choice. Sound bites are all well and good but carry no substance.

I acknowledge there are issues that need to be addressed. And believe it or not, I'm almost that program was made if it helps clean it up. The fact stands that many people do not treat their animals badly.

Does that answer your question? I think that program was a good thing if it addresses these concerns. Is that OK?

My point is that I have a nice little box here with the word 'hypocrite' on the side that nearly every flat white sipping middle class fool fits nice and smugly into.

So far I've had nothing to suggest otherwise.

Also come on. I'm sure you consider yourself intelligent. Surely you can do better than 'but it's not the 1980's anymore'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

With their placards, flat whites, fluorescent hair and i phones.

Not true. I know 'homosexuals' embarrassed by all that crap. Not that I'd blame them.

If you voted to legitimise baby death you have no business telling the rest of us that dogs going around in circles is cruel. As I've already said:

You're still hurt by the democratic will of the people rejecting your archaic opinions. Rural Ireland strongly disagrees with your beliefs.

klaaaz wrote: »
    You're still hurt by the democratic will of the people rejecting your archaic opinions. Rural Ireland strongly disagrees with your beliefs.

And you're still a hypocrite.

You’ve hit the nail slap bang on the head. Coursing and greyhound racing are legal activities. Coursing is mainly a rural persons sport. Just because some don’t like it doesn’t change the facts.

You’ve hit the nail slap bang on the head. Coursing and greyhound racing are legal activities. Coursing is mainly a rural persons sport. Just because some don’t like it doesn’t change the facts.

Fact that a small minority of the population think killing an animal for sport is fun.

Fact that a small minority of the population think killing an animal for sport is fun.

What animal is killed for sport in coursing?

• Advertisement

What animal is killed for sport in coursing?

Dog killing in greyhound racing has killed over 500 dogs on track since 2015 and thousands of dogs too slow to win a race are slaughtered every year, all for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

No kennel no opinion. Dog owners dog - dog owners choice. Sound bites are all well and good but carry no substance.

I acknowledge there are issues that need to be addressed. And believe it or not, I'm almost that program was made if it helps clean it up. The fact stands that many people do not treat their animals badly.

Does that answer your question? I think that program was a good thing if it addresses these concerns. Is that OK?

My point is that I have a nice little box here with the word 'hypocrite' on the side that nearly every flat white sipping middle class fool fits nice and smugly into.

Also come on. I'm sure you consider yourself intelligent. Surely you can do better than 'but it's not the 1980's anymore'?

What about the people who pick up the pieces of the greyhound industry? Do we get an opinion?

Rescues, who are charities by the way, are caring for thousands of discarded greyhounds as we speak. Not one of these organisations are pro greyhound racing as we see what happens the "wastage" dogs.

The purpose of coursing isn’t to kill any animal.
    More misinformation.
    Proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

What about the people who pick up the pieces of the greyhound industry? Do we get an opinion?

Rescues, who are charities by the way, are caring for thousands of discarded greyhounds as we speak. Not one of these organisations are pro greyhound racing as we see what happens the "wastage" dogs.

Of course we don't. Sure I've got a sofa - it's my choice to save these dogs and let them chill out there. If I don't want to, then I can let them die. No one is forcing me to take them in.

/sarcasm

More misinformation.

May not be the purpose but it can be the outcome. And very often when I was exposed to it.

If you are going to post on this subject and claim no Hares are killed, by the dogs, in coursing then you instantly lose ALL credibility.

You are either lying or you know nothing about it.

Dog killing in greyhound racing has killed over 500 dogs on track since 2015 and thousands of dogs too slow to win a race are slaughtered every year, all for sport.

Oh my apologies.

I responding to your post about coursing. Could you maybe address that point first.

Now your jumping back to the track.

And 500 dogs are killed on the track? Never seen a dog being killed on the track. That's news to me.

May not be the purpose but it can be the outcome. And very often when I was exposed to it.

If you are going to post on this subject and claim no Hares are killed, by the dogs, in coursing then you instantly lose ALL credibility.

You are either lying or you nothing about it.

If you read the post, I said the purpose of coursing isn’t to kill an animal.
    I never stated no animal died.
    “The purpose”.read the post

More misinformation.

You are either lying or you nothing about it.

You just agreed with what he said, before calling him a liar.

I've quoted the bits that are actually relevant.

1. Why are you going on about soundbites? No one is attempting to pull out meaningless soundbites except you.

2. Fair enough - I'm glad you agree that there are issues in the industry and I agree that there are people who treat their dogs well. My main issue is with the systemic issues around traceability and accountability for the dogs produced. I also feel that there are too many dogs produced but the ICC don't seem able to provide me with figures.

3. You can think what you like about the program. I agree with you, but any opinion is ok. You don't need to ask my permission.

4. Your point... I'm still lost here. So you think that there are issues. But you think that the wider public shouldn't do anything about these issues. Only people you deem suitable should have a say, namely the owners of the dogs. Even though that was how things were done historically and that's how we got into the current situation. I fail to see your logic.

As far as I can see, you agree that there are issues, but you don't like the protestors. So you're going to come on a thread to complain that you don't like the people who are protesting the same issues that you agree exist. Right. Cool. Carry on.

• Advertisement

As I've said already there are issues that need to be addressed and hopefully will be.

I'll listen to people who are credible. Not hypocrites with fluorescent hair.

Advertisement