Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

What about the people who pick up the pieces of the greyhound industry? Do we get an opinion?

Rescues, who are charities by the way, are caring for thousands of discarded greyhounds as we speak. Not one of these organisations are pro greyhound racing as we see what happens the "wastage" dogs.

As I've said already there are issues that need to be addressed and hopefully will be.

I'll listen to people who are credible. Not hypocrites with fluorescent hair.

Well I've been involved in rescue for a long time and have cared for hundreds of discarded greyhounds. Anyone involved industry that gets millions in government money and who then dumps their inconvenient animals on donation funded charities without a second thought is disgusting and ignorant. And I must add the dogs dumped on charities are the lucky ones. None of this is ever addressed.

From my work, I know many, many people who are against greyhound racing and attend protests. Not that it matters but none of them have fluorescent hair.

What about the people who pick up the pieces of the greyhound industry? Do we get an opinion?

Rescues, who are charities by the way, are caring for thousands of discarded greyhounds as we speak. Not one of these organisations are pro greyhound racing as we see what happens the "wastage" dogs.

As I've said already there are issues that need to be addressed and hopefully will be.

Well I've been involved in rescue for a long time and have cared for hundreds of discarded greyhounds. Anyone involved industry that gets millions in government money and who then dumps their inconvenient animals on donation funded charities without a second thought is disgusting and ignorant. And I must add the dogs dumped on charities are the lucky ones. None of this is ever addressed.

From my work, I know many, many people who are against greyhound racing and attend protests. Not that it matters but none of them have fluorescent hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You just agreed with what he said, before calling him a liar.

That’s the pot bangers logic ruraldweller.
    Shout out loud about something they know fcuk all about and if someone disagrees with them or proves them wrong they go for the personal attack.
    The Same outside Shelbourne Park.roaring personal abuse at quiet law abiding race goers and claiming the gardai are there for their own protection from the big bad race goers.
    Not a bother.grandstand was packed.great night had by all.epic fail for the 30-40 pot bangers who showed up.no sign of one of them after the meet. The bit of rain sent them running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

What colour hair suits you for you to accept a protester? Is the colour black or brown or blond or grey ok? No reds perhaps? Natural or dyed, what's your preference? Perhaps you only accept protesters with no hair at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Shout out loud about something they know fcuk all about and if someone disagrees with them or proves them wrong they go for the personal attack.
    The Same outside Shelbourne Park.roaring personal abuse at quiet law abiding race goers and claiming the gardai are there for their own protection from the big bad race goers.
    Not a bother.grandstand was packed.great night had by all.epic fail for the 30-40 pot bangers who showed up.no sign of one of them after the meet. The bit of rain sent them running

I can only see one person on here making personal attacks (flourescent haired lesbians) and its not any of the ones supporting the protesters or banning greyhound racing.

• Advertisement

This false news from a dog racing supporter who refuses to watch a video of the protests that prove them wrong. For the umpteenth time, protests don't occur when the racing is over and your Derby was not a sellout.

anewme wrote: »
    I can only see one person on here making personal attacks (flourescent haired lesbians) and its not any of the ones supporting the protesters or banning greyhound racing.

I refuse to comment on the above as it was not me who made any such comment.
    I was however just called a liar by a person who has obvious difficulty reading and understanding a simple post but has no issue with referring to a poster as a liar.this I take exception to.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've quoted the bits that are actually relevant.

1. Why are you going on about soundbites? No one is attempting to pull out meaningless soundbites except you.

2. Fair enough - I'm glad you agree that there are issues in the industry and I agree that there are people who treat their dogs well. My main issue is with the systemic issues around traceability and accountability for the dogs produced. I also feel that there are too many dogs produced but the ICC don't seem able to provide me with figures.

3. You can think what you like about the program. I agree with you, but any opinion is ok. You don't need to ask my permission.

4. Your point... I'm still lost here. So you think that there are issues. But you think that the wider public shouldn't do anything about these issues. Only people you deem suitable should have a say, namely the owners of the dogs. Even though that was how things were done historically and that's how we got into the current situation. I fail to see your logic.

As far as I can see, you agree that there are issues, but you don't like the protestors. So you're going to come on a thread to complain that you don't like the people who are protesting the same issues that you agree exist. Right. Cool. Carry on.

What I'm doing is (rightly) questioning the motives of these people.

The basis of why its questionable I've alluded to already.

Those “Charities” are industries. They make money. They get multiple grants. Yet, they pick the most heart wrenching pictures to post on social media in order to get gullible people part with more money. Some of the things they go to vets for are beyond ridiculous. Including bathing a dogs wound and applying ointment to same. If they don’t have basic animal husbandry skills, then they should not be running animal shelters.

BTW how many greyhounds are in shelters at this exact moment in time?

klaaaz wrote: »
    This false news from a dog racing supporter who refuses to watch a video of the protests that prove them wrong. For the umpteenth time, protests don't occur when the racing is over and your Derby was not a sellout.

We don’t need to watch edited videos. We were there and were subjected to some verbal abuse as we entered the packed stadium.

BTW, Touts will always try and sell tickets outside such events. Doesn’t mean it’s not a sellout. Fair play to Boylesports for their sponsorship.

• Advertisement

I don’t need to be watching videos.
    I know what I was with my own two eyes.30-40 people max shouting abuse at innocent law abiding citizens going to a race meet.
    Claiming then that 300 protesters showed up.its pathetic.there was 30-40 max an hour before the first race.what happened the other 260?
    Nothing worse than exaggerating numbers to draw attention.
    The rain wasn’t long with sorting them out.
    Grandstand and bars inside packed.
    Top class facilities.
    Retired hounds in the crowds having a ball.great night overall

Now, I must pull you up on that. I’m thrilled with my pink hilights. (Middle age crisis)

We don’t need to watch edited videos. We were there and were subjected to some verbal abuse as we entered the packed stadium.

BTW, Touts will always try and sell tickets outside such events. Doesn’t mean it’s not a sellout. Fair play to Boylesports for their sponsorship.

An edited video if it existed doesn't lie about numbers in attendance, nice try.

Nothing to do with touts, there were still multiple tickets available on their website on the day and punters could still buy tickets at the booth at 9:30pm. That's very bad for a place that has about 400 capacity. Shame on Boylesports supporting dog killing for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Those “Charities” are industries. They make money. They get multiple grants. Yet, they pick the most heart wrenching pictures to post on social media in order to get gullible people part with more money. Some of the things they go to vets for are beyond ridiculous. Including bathing a dogs wound and applying ointment to same. If they don’t have basic animal husbandry skills, then they should not be running animal shelters.

How many more times do you need to be called on the fallacy about the charities getting loads of money in grants? The figures were posted before and their abysmally small. And now you want to know numbers from an unconnected group of voluntary organisations when the "professional" body you're so determined to protect at all costs can't even be arsed using the (verifiable) millions they actually get in funding to do the same? Are you having a laugh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

What I'm doing is (rightly) questioning the motives of these people.

The basis of why its questionable I've alluded to already.

You're not questioning their motives, you're attacking them from a variety of angles (appearance, sexual orientation, political leanings) none of which have anything to do with greyhound racing.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    Have you ever actually volunteered in a rescue? Have you even spent anymore time in one than it takes to sign over the dogs you no longer have any use for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

They honestly don't. They get tiny (if any) grants. The charity I volunteer for got nothing last year. List is here: https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/exgratiafunding/Listof2018awardsToWelfareOrgs020119.pdf

Generally they aren't even running shelters, the dogs are looked after in foster homes.

They don't pay salaries and are run by volunteers. Demanding figures from them when the ICC can't provide me with the number of dogs bred (which they are required to record) is ludicrous.

If you like I can send you links to the social media posts where they're crying out for foster homes for the ex-racers they are being sent.

An edited video if it existed doesn't lie about numbers in attendance, nice try.

Nothing to do with touts, there were still multiple tickets available on their website on the day and punters could still buy tickets at the booth at 9:30pm. That's very bad for a place that has about 400 capacity. Shame on Boylesports supporting dog killing for sport.

I think you’ll find that 400 is the main restaurant capacity. Same again in suites. Grandstand is unlimited.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    They honestly don't. They get tiny (if any) grants. The charity I volunteer for got nothing last year. List is here: https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/exgratiafunding/Listof2018awardsToWelfareOrgs020119.pdf

Generally they aren't even running shelters, the dogs are looked after in foster homes.

They don't pay salaries and are run by volunteers. Demanding figures from them when the ICC can't provide me with the number of dogs bred (which they are required to record) is ludicrous.

If you like I can send you links to the social media posts where they're crying out for foster homes for the ex-racers they are being sent.

Ahh. Volunteers. Anything that saves them money!

Lord above.you really should stop quoting numbers as You haven’t a clue.
    The 400 capacity you claim is just the seated restaurant on the first floor.it doesn’t take into account the outside grandstand terraces or the bars and restaurants downstairs plus the open top sky restaurant.
    Just shows how clueless you are.
    The same person who reckons there was 300 protesters there.
    Give up the number game.its not your strong point

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    How many more times do you need to be called on the fallacy about the charities getting loads of money in grants? The figures were posted before and their abysmally small. And now you want to know numbers from an unconnected group of voluntary organisations when the "professional" body you're so determined to protect at all costs can't even be arsed using the (verifiable) millions they actually get in funding to do the same? Are you having a laugh?

When you add in donations from dog owners, yes, sometimes pathetically small, plus donations from adopters, donations from fundraising etc, and the use of volunteers, they’re not doing too badly.

Ya cause they're broke, get no funding and fighting a never ending battle trying to rescue dogs from painful deaths; which appears to includes a significant number of dogs bred for a professional sport with millions in funding that repeatedly fail to provide even a modicum of care for these animals and cry victimisation any time people try and call them up on it.

When you add in donations from dog owners, yes, sometimes pathetically small, plus donations from adopters, donations from fundraising etc, and the use of volunteers, they’re not doing too badly.
    What are you basing that on? Maybe swing by a dog rescue some day and see how they run and the staff live. Nobody is getting rich out there. Or if they are they're hiding it very well and even going to the extend of living like paupers and pretending to live in constant worry about keeping the doors open and the dogs housed. Conniving bunch those lot.

Lord above.you really should stop quoting numbers as You haven’t a clue.
    The 400 capacity you claim is just the seated restaurant on the first floor.it doesn’t take into account the outside grandstand terraces or the bars and restaurants downstairs plus the open top sky restaurant.
    Just shows how clueless you are.
    The same person who reckons there was 300 protesters there.
    Give up the number game.its not your strong point

Whatever the capacity which it's stated that it's "grandstand restaurant" , the fact remains that there were max 50 tickets still available per person on their website to buy on Derby day, it was not a sellout. Do watch the video of the numerous protesters that you deny of, it will help you feel less clueless.

Whatever the capacity which it's stated that it's "grandstand restaurant" , the fact remains that there were max 50 tickets still available per person on their website to buy on Derby day, it was not a sellout. Do watch the video of the numerous protesters that you deny of, it will help you feel less clueless.

You are absolutely clueless.
    Try and get the basics such as the crowd capacity right before shouting loudly about something you clearly know nothing about. You have been found out.a waffler.relatively new to the protesting thing too I would guess having watched the rte program on the recommendation of a fellow pot banger.
    Were you ever in Shelbourne Park?where are you getting these idiotic figures you are quoting from?
    The same one claiming 300 protesters attended.

xckjoo wrote: »
    What are you basing that on? Maybe swing by a dog rescue some day and see how they run and the staff live. Nobody is getting rich out there. Or if they are they're hiding it very well and even going to the extend of living like paupers and pretending to live in constant worry about keeping the doors open and the dogs housed. Conniving bunch those lot.

I suggest you get someone to go and apply to adopt a poor little doggie. They might get a shock at how much they are expected to pay for the privilege!

You are absolutely clueless.
    Try and get the basics such as the crowd capacity right before shouting loudly about something you clearly know nothing about. You have been found out.a waffler.relatively new to the protesting thing too I would guess having watched the rte program on the recommendation of a fellow pot banger.
    Were you ever in Shelbourne Park?where are you getting these idiotic figures you are quoting from?
    The same one claiming 300 protesters attended.

Info from your leaders in IGB. You're the waffler who refuses to watch video evidence as it exposes your cluelessness.

I suggest you get someone to go and apply to adopt a poor little doggie. They might get a shock at how much they are expected to pay for the privilege!
    I've done it personally already thanks. Twice. Two different rescues. Don't think the donation exceeded what it would have cost to get them their shots, chipped and neutered. Neither dog was with the rescue for more than a few days but hopefully they added a bit extra to cover costs of housing and feeding. And the gold crowns the staff were all walking around wearing.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just a quick note to the people here involved in dog rescue and animal rescue.

Thank you so much for all you do for the animals.

The people who deal some of the lowest in society, animal abusers and pick up the pieces.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seriously? You're objecting to people helping greyhounds because, perhaps, they might get some compensation for it? Or is it because they threaten your sinecure?

Advertisement