Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They said “fostered” on this page and you still argued with them- but hey, I can see you’re just interested in a fight, not the truth so I’ll ignore your posts and you’ll just disappear and become irrelevant

So According to yourself I’m looking for a fight but you are the one referring to other posters as idiots.
    Great logic

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Ahh. Volunteers. Anything that saves them money!

If you’re involved in the Greyhound industry they certainly wouldn’t want you as their spokesperson right now, that’s for sure- you’re probably doing more to confirm in peoples minds that getting rid of the industry is a good thing because you’re not at all listening to what genuine people have to say about dog shelters and the amount of Greyhounds they have to deal with - but keep living in fantasy land if that’s what you want to believe but don’t expect us to join you there

If they believe rescues are making a profit and are run as a business it probably makes them feel better about ditching their dogs there. They know deep down what they are saying is rubbish but they just don't want to believe reality. Cognitive dissonance at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Heard an ad on the Radio this morning coming into work, clearly targeted at Christmas party organisers.

Have your party at Shelbourne park and achieve all! Great party and not to mention your good deed is done as well!

"Do your good deed because 10% of all door takings and restaurant takings (not bets mind you) go to the Greyhound Care Fund"

Your good deed?

Clearly deluded.

Thinking of our lot here, there would be killings if it even was suggested.

anewme wrote: »
    Heard an ad on the Radio this morning coming into work, clearly targeted at Christmas party organisers.

Have your party at Shelbourne park and achieve all! Great party and not to mention your good deed is done as well!

"Do your good deed because 10% of all door takings and restaurant takings (not bets mind you) go to the Greyhound Care Fund"

Your good deed?

Clearly deluded.

Thinking of our lot here, there would be killings if it even was suggested.

To each, their own. Many people enjoy a night at the dogs. They are great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Anyone who would book that as a Christmas party now would have a disaster on their hands because plenty of people wouldn't go. I think a minority of people would consider it good craic tbh, even with the ethical issues aside.

• Advertisement

Anyone who would book that as a Christmas party now would have a disaster on their hands because plenty of people wouldn't go. I think a minority of people would consider it good craic tbh, even with the ethical issues aside.

It would be an unmitigated disaster.

Listening to the ad - I thought of my own office - our staff are very outspoken and there would be A MELTDOWN, which Management would not want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

anewme wrote: »
    It would be an unmitigated disaster.

Listening to the ad - I thought of my own office - our staff are very outspoken and there would be A MELTDOWN, which Management would not want.

I book the Christmas party in my workplace, so at least I know it will never happen here.

I book the Christmas party in my workplace, so at least I know it will never happen here.

I'm on the Social Team too, but would be far from alone in objecting tbh.

I can only imagine all the offended queens jumping up and down shouting about how offended they were.sheep will follow sheep.
    What a time to be alive.
    If ye don’t want a night at the dogs, don’t go.it really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I can only imagine all the offended queens jumping up and down shouting about how offended they were.sheep will follow sheep.
    What a time to be alive.

Exactly. Lots of people only looking for an excuse not to go to a ****ty work Christmas party anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

What a time to be alive.

It's not about being "offended", it is simply saying, "not going cause I don't agree", which is one's prerogative after all. Thankfully I am lucky to be surrounded by intelligent co-workers who can think for themselves - I can't imagine how irritating it must be to be surrounded by queens jumping up and down all the time while not being able to think for themselves - never mind the Christmas party, I couldn't stand that the other 364 days a year :p

You won’t get any of the big corporates around Dublin 2 booking this year, that’s for sure- their staff wouldn’t tolerate such a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

You won’t get any of the big corporates around Dublin 2 booking this year, that’s for sure- their staff wouldn’t tolerate such a decision
    I doubt their staff would care tbh once they're getting food and drink poured down their neck, it would be more from the activists drawing attention to the parties and ringing the likes of joe duffy and posting their outrage on facebook that will worry the companies from that point of view.

I doubt their staff would care tbh once they're getting food and drink poured down their neck, it would be more from the activists drawing attention to the parties and ringing the likes of joe duffy and posting their outrage on facebook that will worry the companies from that point of view.

It'll only take the small few.

The pot bangers won’t be there protesting at Christmas.not a hope.The novelty of being seen standing with all the other offended sheep will be gone off them,and besides the winter weather will be far too cold and wet for them.
    They couldn’t even hack the showers Saturday night the few that bothered to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

For all the people complaining about the protesters, do ye disagree that the greyhound racing industry needs substantial reform or disagree with who is doing it/how it's being protested?

xckjoo wrote: »
    For all the people complaining about the protesters, do ye disagree that the greyhound racing industry needs substantial reform or disagree with who is doing it/how it's being protested?

I would have no issues with a peaceful protest.
    What I do have issue with is innocent law abiding race goers having personal abuse hurled at them,by a group of people who can’t even get the basics such as stadium capacity correct.
    A total waste of resources having gardai attend.
    Maybe if the protesters weren’t shouting abuse at people the gardai could go about their normal jobs instead of standing outside a track.

Well I've already stated my position.

There's reform needed. 100% and I hope it happens. That's from someone who has been involved albeit at a small scale.

It's the people protesting I've the problem with.

The prime time program exposed it. Now it's time to let the paying public decide.

I promise you this.

Some blue haired freakshow with fluorescent hair, a repeal jumper and a silly placard won't turn people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Well I've already stated my position.

There's reform needed. 100% and I hope it happens. That's from someone who has been involved albeit at a small scale.

It's the people protesting I've the problem with.

The prime time program exposed it. Now it's time to let the paying public decide.

I promise you this.

Some blue haired freakshow with fluorescent hair, a repeal jumper and a silly placard won't turn people off.

Not that it makes any difference whatsoever, but what does a repeal jumper and colourful hair have to do with anything? Apart from making you uncomfortable?

The abuse of people going into tracks is ridiculous. But I'm not sure there has ever been any sort of public campaign where a small minority have acted like gob****es. Unfortunately, you'll always get it.

I would have no issues with a peaceful protest.
    What I do have issue with is innocent law abiding race goers having personal abuse hurled at them,by a group of people who can’t even get the basics such as stadium capacity correct.
    A total waste of resources having gardai attend.
    Maybe if the protesters weren’t shouting abuse at people the gardai could go about their normal jobs instead of standing outside a track.
    Unfortunately the protesters claim that the abuse, etc is from the other side so there's a bit of a he said, she said going on so the Gardai will have to be there. I think they should be at most protests anyway to be honest. Better safe than sorry. I still don't understand what knowing about stadium capacity has to do with anything. Doesn't effect the dogs welfare in the slightest.

I'm no fan of the "professional" protester either (the ones that show up to protest everything and are vitriolic and abusive to people who don't tow the line). I think they give genuine protesters a bad name and give people an excuse to dismiss valid issues based on nonsense like someones hair colour. But that's the nature of the beast. You can't allow freedom to protest and also ban them from doing it because who decides who has the right to protest? Fashion sense and trivia knowledge about stadium capacities aren't a valid selection criteria.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the protesters claim that the abuse, etc is from the other side so there's a bit of a he said, she said going on so the Gardai will have to be there. I think they should be at most protests anyway to be honest. Better safe than sorry. I still don't understand what knowing about stadium capacity has to do with anything. Doesn't effect the dogs welfare in the slightest.

I'm no fan of the "professional" protester either (the ones that show up to protest everything and are vitriolic and abusive to people who don't tow the line). I think they give genuine protesters a bad name and give people an excuse to dismiss valid issues based on nonsense like someones hair colour. But that's the nature of the beast. You can't allow freedom to protest and also ban them from doing it because who decides who has the right to protest? Fashion sense and trivia knowledge about stadium capacities aren't a valid selection criteria.

Here’s a question for you.
    If you met a person standing outside a track and they were protesting a meet, but couldn’t even get the very basics such as expected crowd capacity correct, would you believe another single word they said or would they stand out as a clueless fraud to you aswell?

If you met a person standing outside a track and they were protesting a meet, but couldn’t even get the very basics such as expected crowd capacity correct, would you believe another single word they said or would they stand out as a clueless fraud to you aswell?

Clutching at any excuse to put down an argument I would say. Unless they were claiming 10,000 would be at a meet, as opposed to 100.

I wonder will RTÉ Newsroom have their Christmas party there? I seem to remember them owning a couple of greyhounds down the years. One called Charlie Bird!

No not really. And I'm not just saying that to be argumentative. I don't see how it's relevant to the issue that's being protested (greyhound welfare, as far as I know). Unless they were using that incorrect number as a reason for their protest, but again I can't see how it would be involved.

No not really. And I'm not just saying that to be argumentative. I don't see how it's relevant to the issue that's being protested (greyhound welfare, as far as I know). Unless they were using that incorrect number as a reason for their protest, but again I can't see how it would be involved.

The same person who stated that the capacity of Shelbourne Park was 400 which is barely a fraction of what it can hold, was claiming that 300 protesters attended when in fact there was 30-40 protesters max.
    If they want to be making bold unfounded claims they need to get the basics right for a balanced view

The same person who stated that the capacity of Shelbourne Park was 400 which is barely a fraction of what it can hold, was claiming that 300 protesters attended when in fact there was 30-40 protesters max.
    If they want to be making bold unfounded claims they need to get the basics right for a balanced view
    To me the basics are about the dogs welfare, not the amount of people going to or protesting at and event.

Everyone has the right to protest. It’s one of the great things of living in a democracy. When they stand in front of you on a public footpath screaming something incomprehensible in your face, it gets a bit tedious. When a Garda has to ask them to step aside and allow people pass, it’s wrong.
    Like so many, I watched the RTÉ program and was horrified by what I saw. I had seen the videos of a dog being boiled alive and the one being clubbed to death before. It says a lot that those videos, which are a few years old and were videos in other countries, about the claims of this being widespread. It is not.
    Likewise the vets claims of huge numbers of greyhounds having their ears mutilated and being pumped full of EPO. Yes, there have been cases, but NOT in recent years. EPO was last detected about 15 years ago. Greyhounds can be identified by microchip or DNA.
    The clip of dogs on a ferry going Coursing gave the false impression that they were breaking the law. They weren’t and proceedings are being taken against the film makers.
    The claim that 6,000 greyhounds a year were unaccounted for was just that. Unaccounted. Not killed.
    Steps are being put in place to make make traceability more stringent.
    Let people make up their own minds.

Based off the below, it's kind of hard to take anything you say serious now, based off your own logic.

https://www.igb.ie/globalassets/trade/shelbourne-park-stadia-capacity-final-doc.pdf

wardides wrote: »
    Based off the below, it's kind of hard to take anything you say serious now, based off your own logic.

https://www.igb.ie/globalassets/trade/shelbourne-park-stadia-capacity-final-doc.pdf

That says seated and various hospitality is almost 800 with general admission unlimited.

• Advertisement

That says seated and various hospitality is almost 800 with general admission unlimited.

So why would the original poster claim that somebody saying Shelbourne Park capacity of 400 is barely a fraction of what it can hold? Whilst making a point of the importance of being accurate when debating!!

Advertisement