Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That says seated and various hospitality is almost 800 with general admission unlimited.

Exactly.plus the outside standing terraces which were full to capacity Saturday night hold several thousand.
    Can’t understand why protesters were patting each other on the back thinking less than 400 attended because tickets were available.
    One look at the tv would have proved them wrong but that wouldn’t suit their agenda.

wardides wrote: »
    So why would the original poster claim that somebody saying Shelbourne Park capacity of 400 is barely a fraction of what it can hold? Whilst making a point of the importance of being accurate when debating!!

I would have thought that it was obvious. One claimed that there were fewer than 400 racegoers and 300 protesters. The other poster simply pointed out that their grasp of figures was questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Exactly.plus the outside standing terraces which were full to capacity Saturday night hold several thousand.
    Can’t understand why protesters were patting each other on the back thinking less than 400 attended because tickets were available.
    One look at the tv would have proved them wrong but that wouldn’t suit their agenda.

Ah I understand, I misread, and thought you were trying to say the capacity was less than 400!!!!!

wardides wrote: »
    So why would the original poster claim that somebody saying Shelbourne Park capacity of 400 is barely a fraction of what it can hold? Whilst making a point of the importance of being accurate when debating!!

Because it is Barely a fraction.The place was packed Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

That says seated and various hospitality is almost 800 with general admission unlimited.
    If we're going to be pedantic about the numbers, no venue has unlimited capacity.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Misread original post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The same person who stated that the capacity of Shelbourne Park was 400 which is barely a fraction of what it can hold, was claiming that 300 protesters attended when in fact there was 30-40 protesters max.

400 seated in that restaurant? Seriously doubt it, it's not that big! You still have not watched the evidence of 300 protesters there on Saturday yet here you are ranting without a shred of evidence.

xckjoo wrote: »
    If we're going to be pedantic about the numbers, no venue has unlimited capacity.....

Correct. I do think that it’s ticket only and there’s a cap, but I’m not sure what it’s capped at.

klaaaz wrote: »
    400 seated in that restaurant? Seriously doubt it, it's not that big! You still have not watched the evidence of 300 protesters there on Saturday yet here you are ranting without a shred of evidence.

I was there and saw it myself.thats all the evidence I need.
    Were you in the stadium or how do you know how many the restaurants can cater for?
    It’s on their own website available for group bookings but here you are doubting it’s capacity.
    Are you for real?

I was there and saw it myself.thats all the evidence I need.
    Were you in the stadium or how do you know how many the restaurants can cater for?
    It’s on their own website available for group bookings but here you are doubting it’s capacity.
    Are you for real?

You're wrong, the video you refuse to watch says 10 times the amount of protesters that you propagate. Perhaps get your eyesight tested or you can't count properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

The pot bangers won’t be there protesting at Christmas.not a hope.The novelty of being seen standing with all the other offended sheep will be gone off them,and besides the winter weather will be far too cold and wet for them.
    They couldn’t even hack the showers Saturday night the few that bothered to turn up.

Why do you keep referring to people who are against greyhound racing as "queens" and "sheep"? Is it too much for you to comprehend that a group of people might gather because they all have the same moral stance on something, and that doesn't make them "sheep" or "queens" - to be honest, I don't even know what you mean when you refer to queens in this context.

Also, you might have something worthwhile to say, but a lot of your posts come across as mean spirited and like people are hitting a nerve with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Antares35 wrote: »
    Also, you might have something worthwhile to say, but a lot of your posts come across as mean spirited and like people are hitting a nerve with you.

Pot banging queen sheep!

Antares35 wrote: »
    Why do you keep referring to people who are against greyhound racing as "queens" and "sheep"? Is it too much for you to comprehend that a group of people might gather because they all have the same moral stance on something, and that doesn't make them "sheep" or "queens" - to be honest, I don't even know what you mean when you refer to queens in this context.

It's all part of demonisation of the opposition to dog racing. They know that thousands of dogs die every year whether on and off the track and their defence to that immorality is to slate any opposition as insert "that slur", as they don't care about the dogs, they only care about the money involved in dog racing.

It's all part of demonisation of the opposition to dog racing. They know that thousands of dogs die every year whether on and off the track and their defence to that immorality is to slate any opposition as insert "that slur", as they don't care about the dogs, they only care about the money involved in dog racing.

Its weird though and gives a poor reflection of the writer.

Yesterday everyone was a pot banger.

Now they are a queen or a sheep.

It make the posts read like narky childish rants.

There’s always a conspiracy theory with some people.
    Imagine a stadium that advertises its facilities for group bookings online and the theorists doubt its capacities,instead preferring to invent their own numbers.
    Imagine being that far removed from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There seem to have been a great many put downs directed towards those opposed alright. I've protested before, several years back when it was at Harolds Cross. Rescued an ex racer myself. She was in a terrible state when we found her. Managed to trace her to a syndicate in Saggart as far as I can recall. You could see she had suffered a decline in her performance prior to appearing several months later severely malnourished. Though I suppose we don't know where she was in between. Beautiful dog though. We got her back in shape and gave her to a lady in Dublin 8 who worked with a UK charity to export them overseas for rehoming. At the time (as is probably still the case though hopefully not as much) there was huge prejudice against greyhounds particularly ex racers as rescues, and there were simply more homes in the UK. In the end, the lady fell in love with her and kept her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There’s always a conspiracy theory with some people.
    Imagine a stadium that advertises its facilities for group bookings online and the theorists doubt its capacities,instead preferring to invent their own numbers.
    Imagine being that far removed from reality.

And imagine it not making an iota of difference in the issue at hand - namely, are thousands of greyhounds put to death each year unnecessarily, in support of a state-funded hobby. That might be worth discussing.

Igotadose wrote: »
    And imagine it not making an iota of difference in the issue at hand - namely, are thousands of greyhounds put to death each year unnecessarily, in support of a state-funded hobby. That might be worth discussing.

Of coarse it makes a difference.
    How could anyone debate a subject if one source is fabricating figures to suit their own agenda while the other source can easily disprove them figures.
    It’s fact that Shelbourne Park can hold multiple amounts in capacity than what a person on here quoted.400 people they quoted which they then claimed hadn’t even filled.
    Total lies.its been proven to be lies.theres links there to the true capacity yet the protesters still doubt these figures.
    It’s delusional.conspiracy theory territory.
    The same person then claiming 300 protesters were there.not a chance was there more than 40 max.
    Numbers matter.you can’t base a debate on lies as these protesters are attempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

The same person then claiming 300 protesters were there.not a chance was there more than 40 max.
    Numbers matter.you can’t base a debate on lies as these protesters are attempting.

There are multiple video clips proving that you're full of ****, but hey, continue ignoring that. I wouldn't expect anything else from your type.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Of coarse it makes a difference.
    How could anyone debate a subject if one source is fabricating figures to suit their own agenda while the other source can easily disprove them figures.
    It’s fact that Shelbourne Park can hold multiple amounts in capacity than what a person on here quoted.400 people they quoted which they then claimed hadn’t even filled.
    Total lies.its been proven to be lies.theres links there to the true capacity yet the protesters still doubt these figures.
    It’s delusional.conspiracy theory territory.

Seriously, give up about the capacity of shelbourne park. People upset over the mistreatment of the dogs really don't care if the place can hold four hundred or four million.
    If you cared as much about what happens the greyhounds as you do about shelbourne park people would take your opinion on the industry more seriously.

• Advertisement

Thousands are unaccounted for. A huge difference between being unaccounted for and killed. Hundreds of us keep our retireds at home. They are amongst the unaccounted. That is changing and they will be entered on a database from birth till death.

They just keep talking about numbers to deflect from the real issue.

Also, when told that no one would book a Christmas Party at Shelbourne Park the response was...well no one wants to go to a work Christmas Party anyway.

Really? Why are they advertising then?

Deflect and denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Thousands are unaccounted for. A huge difference between being unaccounted for and killed. Hundreds of us keep our retireds at home. They are amongst the unaccounted. That is changing and they will be entered on a database from birth till death.

Why are they unaccounted for if you have them at home with you? Surely that's a simple thing to keep track of?

Out of interest how many greyhounds do you own? How many would you have racing at any one time? Do you keep them all once you retire them?

There are multiple video clips proving that you're full of ****, but hey, continue ignoring that. I wouldn't expect anything else from your type.

Those of us who attended don’t need video clips to see how many protesters and racegoers were there. We saw with our own eyes. Most racegoers were inside the stadium by 6 o’clock, as is the norm for Derby final night, so unless 200 more protesters came after 6 o’clock we wouldn’t have seen them.

I really expected the whole road to be blocked. This wasn’t the case and apart from the odd protester standing in front of racegoers and blocking their path, it seemed tame enough. One had a loudhailer but we couldn’t understand what she was shouting.

Why are they unaccounted for if you have them at home with you? Surely that's a simple thing to keep track of?

Out of interest how many greyhounds do you own? How many would you have racing at any one time? Do you keep them all once you retire them?

There wasn’t a system in place for us to notify the stud book. It only takes note of matings, births, naming and change of ownership. As I said, this is being changed.
    In the uk, if a greyhound doesn’t run for a certain time and the Stud Book hasn’t received notification of their retirement or other reason, eg a bitch in season cannot run for 12 weeks, the owner is contacted to disclose reason for their non appearance.

At the moment, I have 3 racing, 3 retired, 2 in the kennel and one in the house, 2 10 month old saplings and I’m looking to buying 2 more pups around Christmas time.

Those of us who attended don’t need video clips to see how many protesters and racegoers were there. We saw with our own eyes. Most racegoers were inside the stadium by 6 o’clock, as is the norm for Derby final night, so unless 200 more protesters came after 6 o’clock we wouldn’t have seen them.

As I said already, videos show a lot more than 30-40. If you choose to ignore that then that's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I really expected the whole road to be blocked. This wasn’t the case and apart from the odd protester standing in front of racegoers and blocking their path, it seemed tame enough. One had a loudhailer but we couldn’t understand what she was shouting.
    She was probably shouting about how much the constant bullying and murder of innocent dogs is upsetting ordinary caring people. Maybe she mentioned an evil old bastard who bought a poor terrified dog into some scumbag in a garage to get it shot. Maybe she mentioned the old prick sitting in his car and waiting for the murdered dogs collar to be removed from jerking animal and handed to him. Or maybe she was shouting because she was aware that NO ONE listens to animals. Maybe she was shouting because she realised that ANIMALS HAVE NO VOICE!

As I said already, videos show a lot more than 30-40. If you choose to ignore that then that's up to you.

And I agree. There were a maximum of 100. You see, I drove past them and counted one side and my other half counted the other. We totaled 74 so added a few for late arrivals.

She was probably shouting about how much the constant bullying and murder of innocent dogs is upsetting ordinary caring people. Maybe she mentioned an evil old bastard who bought a poor terrified dog into some scumbag in a garage to get it shot. Maybe she mentioned the old prick sitting in his car and waiting for the murdered dogs collar to be removed from jerking animal and handed to him. Or maybe she was shouting because she was aware that NO ONE listens to animals. Maybe she was shouting because she realised that ANIMALS HAVE NO VOICE!

The killing of a dog in the knackeries was the only truth shown on that program. What really disgusted me was RTÉ did nothing about it until after the program was aired. So much for caring for innocent doggies.

• Advertisement

And I agree. There were a maximum of 100. You see, I drove past them and counted one side and my other half counted the other. We totaled 74 so added a few for late arrivals.
    So it's basically a guess. Ok then.

Advertisement