Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

She was probably shouting about how much the constant bullying and murder of innocent dogs is upsetting ordinary caring people. Maybe she mentioned an evil old bastard who bought a poor terrified dog into some scumbag in a garage to get it shot. Maybe she mentioned the old prick sitting in his car and waiting for the murdered dogs collar to be removed from jerking animal and handed to him. Or maybe she was shouting because she was aware that NO ONE listens to animals. Maybe she was shouting because she realised that ANIMALS HAVE NO VOICE!

The killing of a dog in the knackeries was the only truth shown on that program. What really disgusted me was RTÉ did nothing about it until after the program was aired. So much for caring for innocent doggies.

In fairness, the people bringing their dogs to the dogs to the knackeries could have done something: stopped doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

So it's basically a guess. Ok then.

And you can count them all on your video can you?
    There wasn’t 40 when I walked through them.
    260 of them running late.

She was probably shouting about how much the constant bullying and murder of innocent dogs is upsetting ordinary caring people. Maybe she mentioned an evil old bastard who bought a poor terrified dog into some scumbag in a garage to get it shot. Maybe she mentioned the old prick sitting in his car and waiting for the murdered dogs collar to be removed from jerking animal and handed to him. Or maybe she was shouting because she was aware that NO ONE listens to animals. Maybe she was shouting because she realised that ANIMALS HAVE NO VOICE!

What garage are you talking of?

There are multiple video clips proving that you're full of ****, but hey, continue ignoring that. I wouldn't expect anything else from your type.

“My type” and “full of ****”
    More with the personal abuse from the protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Maybe. But, it is far more likely she was shouting because she has issues and likes abusing strangers on the street.

Dogs can be murdered now, that’s a new one.

No one listens to animals, well that is only a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

There are multiple video clips proving that you're full of ****, but hey, continue ignoring that. I wouldn't expect anything else from your type.

Go ahead and report the post then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Now lets be fair here.

T'is yourself that is calling people pot bangers.
    T'is yourself that is calling people Queens.
    T'is yourself that is calling people sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Those of us who attended don’t need video clips to see how many protesters and racegoers were there. We saw with our own eyes. Most racegoers were inside the stadium by 6 o’clock, as is the norm for Derby final night, so unless 200 more protesters came after 6 o’clock we wouldn’t have seen them.

I really expected the whole road to be blocked. This wasn’t the case and apart from the odd protester standing in front of racegoers and blocking their path, it seemed tame enough. One had a loudhailer but we couldn’t understand what she was shouting.
    And I agree. There were a maximum of 100. You see, I drove past them and counted one side and my other half counted the other. We totaled 74 so added a few for late arrivals.

Firstly, you'd want to tell your fellow racegoers to stop arriving after 6pm as there was a good few racers if not the majority of them arriving between 6pm and 7pm some being quite drunk alighting from taxis.

And secondly, along with that other deniar of the truth, do watch the videos posted which shows the numbers involved protesting.

Did any dogs die or get injured on the night?

klaaaz wrote: »
    Firstly, you'd want to tell your fellow racegoers to stop arriving after 6pm as there was a good few racers if not the majority of them arriving between 6pm and 7pm some being quite drunk alighting from taxis.

And secondly, along with that other deniar of the truth, do watch the videos posted which shows the numbers involved protesting.

Did any dogs die or get injured on the night?

What has the fact that people were drinking on a night out and arriving by taxis got to do with anything?

What has the fact that people were drinking on a night out and arriving by taxis got to do with anything?

I think they mean protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Of coarse it makes a difference.
    How could anyone debate a subject if one source is fabricating figures to suit their own agenda while the other source can easily disprove them figures.

Easily. It's debate so you agree to discuss an issue, favor or against. Here is a sample debate topic: "Greyhound racing in all its forms should be stopped in Ireland." Arguments for and against?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Igotadose wrote: »
    Easily. It's debate so you agree to discuss an issue, favor or against. Here is a sample debate topic: "Animal racing in all its forms should be stopped in Ireland." Arguments for and against?

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

Nope, that's shifting the goalpost. The goal is to debate greyhound racing. If you'd like a horse-racing thread, feel free.

So, should Greyhound racing be banned in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The irony of lambasting a single individual for inaccuracy in stadium capacity while the professional body with millions in funding can't/won't keep track of the dogs they should be caring for, is pretty rich. IGB can't even keep track of if they agree or disagree with the findings of the report the commissioned on it.

xckjoo wrote: »
    The irony of lambasting a single individual for inaccuracy in stadium capacity while the professional body with millions in funding can't/won't keep track of the dogs they should be caring for, is pretty rich. IGB can't even keep track of if they agree or disagree with the findings of the report the commissioned on it.

The problem lies in a private club having ownership of the Stud Book. They were lax in keeping track of the numbers. Not IGB, who are now having to set up a new version of the Stud Book from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Thousands are unaccounted for. A huge difference between being unaccounted for and killed. Hundreds of us keep our retireds at home. They are amongst the unaccounted. That is changing and they will be entered on a database from birth till death.

That sounds promising. Do you have any more information on the database e.g. who will be in charge of it, and how it will be monitored etc. It seems like a huge administrative burden. Very often, these elaborate measures are introduced but with nobody to oversee and enforce them, they are not worth much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

In fairness, you've more than several times now referred to those who are opposed to greyhound racing as "queens jumping up and down" and "sheep".

Antares35 wrote: »
    That sounds promising. Do you have any more information on the database e.g. who will be in charge of it, and how it will be monitored etc. It seems like a huge administrative burden. Very often, these elaborate measures are introduced but with nobody to oversee and enforce them, they are not worth much.

I understand that it will be awarded by tender under the department of agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Everyone has the right to protest. It’s one of the great things of living in a democracy. When they stand in front of you on a public footpath screaming something incomprehensible in your face, it gets a bit tedious. When a Garda has to ask them to step aside and allow people pass, it’s wrong.
    Like so many, I watched the RTÉ program and was horrified by what I saw. I had seen the videos of a dog being boiled alive and the one being clubbed to death before. It says a lot that those videos, which are a few years old and were videos in other countries, about the claims of this being widespread. It is not.
    Likewise the vets claims of huge numbers of greyhounds having their ears mutilated and being pumped full of EPO. Yes, there have been cases, but NOT in recent years. EPO was last detected about 15 years ago. Greyhounds can be identified by microchip or DNA.
    The clip of dogs on a ferry going Coursing gave the false impression that they were breaking the law. They weren’t and proceedings are being taken against the film makers.
    The claim that 6,000 greyhounds a year were unaccounted for was just that. Unaccounted. Not killed.
    Steps are being put in place to make make traceability more stringent.
    Let people make up their own minds.

How many years have you been involved in the industry? What did you and your mates do about traceability before that program was aired?

Probably sfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

The killing of a dog in the knackeries was the only truth shown on that program. What really disgusted me was RTÉ did nothing about it until after the program was aired. So much for caring for innocent doggies.

I've seen several of your posts along these lines. It's quite obvious you care for the breed, and by my guess, I would say involved in the industry. But please stop acting as if the RTE programme was completely incorrect or dramatised. It absolutely was one sided, as are all prime time investigations unfortunately, but the crux of the issue was still there for all to see. You only need to visit charities up and down the country to understand the numbers.

The industry, as it currently stands, is at an absolute low. And, unfortunately for all the good people within, the bad absolutely outweighs the good at this current point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The problem lies in a private club having ownership of the Stud Book. They were lax in keeping track of the numbers. Not IGB, who are now having to set up a new version of the Stud Book from scratch.
    I'm afraid I find it hard to swallow the constant "that's all in the past" refrain. It's been proven false too many times already.

It's screams of a "heads down until this all blows over then back to normal" mentality. They've had years to address these issues and have done almost nothing. That report they commissioned was from 2017 and was apparently though accurate enough at the time. Now we see a simultaneous "those numbers are completely wrong" and "it's fine cause it's fixed now" approach. I'm sure any honest person that's had involvement in the greyhound industry has seen cases of abuse, yet IGB have ignored it and allowed the owners continue to enter dogs in their races. See the example from a few pages back of the dog dying from a heart attack. Owner had already been found giving cocaine to his dogs and yet was continued to be allowed to race. Why? If they cared about the sport being cleaned up, then hand out some lifetime bans.

And the fact that you keep trying to paint the IGB as some misunderstood angel while the dog rescues are money grubbing scumbags makes me doubt both your objectivity and judgement.

Guy was given probation this week for banned substances in his Kennells and for trying to block any investigations. Why is he not banned for life if the aim is to be more transparent.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I understand that it will be awarded by tender under the department of agriculture.

If a private club is too lax and we're meant to put faith in the IGB, then why is it going to tender to (presumably) a private company? That just seems like the IGB is passing the buck again - it's irrelevant who administers it if rules wont be enforced by the IGB.

I don't think it needs done from scratch. Presumably the ICC books need audited and an additional column in a spreadsheet to register dog deaths.

Retired dogs can be held in their original owners name - I don't think anyone cares whether they're retired or not as long as they're accounted for.

Then the IGB can impose fines and racing restrictions where puppies are not microchipped before 12 weeks (per current legislation) and registered on their books by that age, rather than facilitating late microchipping (see: https://www.igb.ie/Resource/greyhound-welfare/retired-greyhound-trust/how-to-rehome-your-greyhound/ "Arrangements will then be made for your area Control Steward to Microchip your greyhound in advance of greyhound going to vet for remaining pre-rehoming procedures. ").

Might need an extra column for microchip numbers to be recorded.

It's not rocket science - it's literally admin work. Sending that through a tender process seems like madness.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    If a private club is too lax and we're meant to put faith in the IGB, then why is it going to tender to (presumably) a private company? That just seems like the IGB is passing the buck again - it's irrelevant who administers it if rules wont be enforced by the IGB.

I don't think it needs done from scratch. Presumably the ICC books need audited and an additional column in a spreadsheet to register dog deaths.

Retired dogs can be held in their original owners name - I don't think anyone cares whether they're retired or not as long as they're accounted for.

Then the IGB can impose fines and racing restrictions where puppies are not microchipped before 12 weeks (per current legislation) and registered on their books by that age, rather than facilitating late microchipping (see: https://www.igb.ie/Resource/greyhound-welfare/retired-greyhound-trust/how-to-rehome-your-greyhound/ "Arrangements will then be made for your area Control Steward to Microchip your greyhound in advance of greyhound going to vet for remaining pre-rehoming procedures. ").

Might need an extra column for microchip numbers to be recorded.

It's not rocket science - it's literally admin work. Sending that through a tender process seems like madness.

All greyhound pups are microchipped and earmarked at 12 weeks. Their parents have their DNA registered when they are first used for breeding. IGB haven’t updated their website obviously!

The plan is for all greyhounds to be traceable from birth to end of life. Realistically, the Stud Book needs to be totally independent. The current situation isn’t working. The ICC doesn’t have seem access to the IGB Racing data, which would be needed to administer properly. I’m sure that the ICC will resist any attempt to take Stud Book from them.

All greyhound pups are microchipped and earmarked at 12 weeks. Their parents have their DNA registered when they are first used for breeding. IGB haven’t updated their website obviously!

The plan is for all greyhounds to be traceable from birth to end of life. Realistically, the Stud Book needs to be totally independent. The current situation isn’t working. The ICC doesn’t have seem access to the IGB Racing data, which would be needed to administer properly. I’m sure that the ICC will resist any attempt to take Stud Book from them.

Resist? Taxpayer funded dilettantes don't get to resist. Better still, close the ICC, end coursing and take all their data away.

Resist? Taxpayer funded dilettantes don't get to resist. Better still, close the ICC, end coursing and take all their data away.

ICC aren’t tax funded.

Attendance down 20%yoy. Gov't unhappy with IGB. IGB assets devaluing. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/attendance-at-greyhound-tracks-drops-20-after-rt%25C3%25A9-expose-1.4023770%3fmode=amp

Average attendance 319.

Also today's Times front page article says no more Greyhound marketing by Failte Ireland. Seems like the proverbial Fat Greyhound is singing for the "hobby."

Interesting article, thanks for the link.

I see IGB have made a complaint about the RTE program.

When is the adjudication due on that I wonder?

Attendance down 20%yoy. Gov't unhappy with IGB. IGB assets devaluing. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/attendance-at-greyhound-tracks-drops-20-after-rt%25C3%25A9-expose-1.4023770%3fmode=amp

Average attendance 319.

Also today's Times front page article says no more Greyhound marketing by Failte Ireland. Seems like the proverbial Fat Greyhound is singing for the "hobby."

It saddens me to see people hoping to see the extinction of the noble greyhound.

It really saddens me to see newspaper articles using photos that don’t originate in Ireland!

What that article didn’t include was that in the re-evaluation that the value of two stadiums was increased but due to accounting procedures this couldn’t be included in the accounts.

• Advertisement

Average attendance 319.

It saddens me to see people hoping to see the extinction of the noble greyhound.

It really saddens me to see newspaper articles using photos that don’t originate in Ireland!

What that article didn’t include was that in the re-evaluation that the value of two stadiums was increased but due to accounting procedures this couldn’t be included in the accounts.

MaryAnne, do the IGB not really have themselves to blame here? They have failed to act to safeguard the industry. Now it's a half hearted attempt after the damage has been done.

The world is changing for the better and people are becoming more conscious of what they support.

For example...Trip Adviser carried reviews of the Canidrome as a night out.

Advertisement