Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

anewme wrote: »
    MaryAnne, do the IGB not really have themselves to blame here? They have failed to act to safeguard the industry. Now it's a half hearted attempt after the damage has been done.

The world is changing for the better and people are becoming more conscious of what they support.

For example...Trip Adviser carried reviews of the Canidrome as a night out.

I agree that IGB have a lot to answer for. Yes, the World is changing. It’s so sad that some want to stop others pursuing a healthy hobby. Greyhound ownership and racing for the small owner /trainer is a way of life. For me, personally, the getting out and meeting fellow owners for galloping, trialing and racing got me through some very hard times. It really pains me that people think I’m cruel and heartless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

MaryAnne, do the IGB not really have themselves to blame here? They have failed to act to safeguard the industry. Now it's a half hearted attempt after the damage has been done.

The world is changing for the better and people are becoming more conscious of what they support.

For example...Trip Adviser carried reviews of the Canidrome as a night out.

I agree that IGB have a lot to answer for. Yes, the World is changing. It’s so sad that some want to stop others pursuing a healthy hobby. Greyhound ownership and racing for the small owner /trainer is a way of life. For me, personally, the getting out and meeting fellow owners for galloping, trialing and racing got me through some very hard times. It really pains me that people think I’m cruel and heartless.

I really do not believe anyone thinks you are cruel and heartless at all.

If people thought the industry was like you say, a way of life for some people, a healthy hobby, there would be far less objections.

Like everything else though, when the stakes are high (moneywise) integrity loses and in this case the animals suffer.

The trainer on probation this week for banned substances, why, for example is he not banned from racing? The IGB are not doing enough to clean up the industry for all. The problem now is that the IGB are not a credible organisation, given they have failed to take action for years.

I really do feel sorry for the small guys and I do believe many love their dogs. We have one elderly man and his now chubby greyhound ex racer who walk round our area.

There was no way the guy waiting to collect the dogs collar in the RTE program viewed his dog as anything other than a commodity.

While there are still too many questions or loopholes, people will err on the side of caution and not support it.

Calling people who object pot bangers, blue haired lesbians, sheep, goats or whatever is also not beneficial as it's just mud slinging and not really coherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm sure nobody thinks that - we can't tar everyone with the same brush, but you also cannot blame people for reacting to the reprehensible activities of people who do not treat their dogs as well as you. I would have no issue with racing if the dogs are treated well and have a nice retirement but there have been too many scandals, too many mass graves etc. I, personally, have cleaned up some of this mess by rescuing and rehoming a discarded dog. There is nothing wrong with wanting positive change and welfare standards and accountability/ transparency to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm sure nobody thinks that - we can't tar everyone with the same brush, but you also cannot blame people for reacting to the reprehensible activities of people who do not treat their dogs as well as you. I would have no issue with racing if the dogs are treated well and have a nice retirement but there have been too many scandals, too many mass graves etc. I, personally, have cleaned up some of this mess by rescuing and rehoming a discarded dog. There is nothing wrong with wanting positive change and welfare standards and accountability/ transparency to improve.

If ye can’t tar everyone with the same brush, why were the protesters roaring personal abuse at every person entering Shelbourne Park including staff aswell as race goers?
    Whatever happened to a peaceful protest?

Well done rte. Whiddy Island has become a target for illegal poachers who don't care a jot for our native wildlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Well done rte. Whiddy Island has become a target for illegal poachers who don't care a jot for our native wildlife.
    Ive tried to explain before how coursing clubs protect hares (and indirectly other wildlife) in isolated rural areas. However, I was just met with disbelief and agression from the anti greyhound sport posters. A lot of people don't want to consider the full consequences of banning coursing and greyhound racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If ye can’t tar everyone with the same brush, why were the protesters roaring personal abuse at every person entering Shelbourne Park including staff aswell as race goers?
    Much like all greyhound owners aren't the same, all people that have issues with the greyhound industry aren't the same. So you'd have to ask those people about what their motivates are and why they protest the way they do.
    Context?

Well in much the same way that you can't tar everyone with the same brush, you also can't expect me as an individual to speak on behalf of others I suppose. Perhaps they are aggrieved at how many in the industry are treating their dogs when they have nothing left to give? In any event, I wasn't at these protests (and the one I did attend had no such carry on) so I can't be sure what went on, but nonetheless I will take your "roaring personal abuse" as an exaggerated anecdote :o

Antares35 wrote: »
    Well in much the same way that you can't tar everyone with the same brush, you also can't expect me as an individual to speak on behalf of others I suppose. Perhaps they are aggrieved at how many in the industry are treating their dogs when they have nothing left to give? In any event, I wasn't at these protests (and the one I did attend had no such carry on) so I can't be sure what went on, but nonetheless I will take your "roaring personal abuse" as an exaggerated anecdote :o

You can take it any fcukin way you want.you can always watch your buddies video.nobody else will.

I really do not believe anyone thinks you are cruel and heartless at all.

If people thought the industry was like you say, a way of life for some people, a healthy hobby, there would be far less objections.

Like everything else though, when the stakes are high (moneywise) integrity loses and in this case the animals suffer.

The trainer on probation this week for banned substances, why, for example is he not banned from racing? The IGB are not doing enough to clean up the industry for all. The problem now is that the IGB are not a credible organisation, given they have failed to take action for years.

I really do feel sorry for the small guys and I do believe many love their dogs. We have one elderly man and his now chubby greyhound ex racer who walk round our area.

There was no way the guy waiting to collect the dogs collar in the RTE program viewed his dog as anything other than a commodity.

While there are still too many questions or loopholes, people will err on the side of caution and not support it.

Calling people who object pot bangers, blue haired lesbians, sheep, goats or whatever is also not beneficial as it's just mud slinging and not really coherent.

What are your views on people here saying people are “full of ****”??

• Advertisement

You can take it any fcukin way you want.you can always watch your buddies video.nobody else will.

Now now, no need to be nasty because I refuse to speak on behalf of hundreds of other people is there? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

What are your views on people here saying people are “full of ****”??

All you want to do is have a right moan about individual protesters. Would it not be easier to set up your own moany little thread giving out about the people who seem to upset you so much, and leave this thread to people discussing the actual issue - Greyhound Welfare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Be no licenses handed out on Thursday for coursing for certain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

There is no way of knowing how that hare died without testing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

There is no way of knowing how that hare died without testing.

Even if it was its very strange for there only to be 1 case found in the county.

Of course it's very strange, where in Limerick was it found? I haven't heard been reported that a hare has been found in Limerick.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Context?

Reports of unmuzzled lurchers being taken there and numerous hares being killed.

Reports of unmuzzled lurchers being taken there and numerous hares being killed.
    Okay. I'm not overly familiar with coursing in general so you may have to spell out some stuff that you think is obvious. Apologies.

How did RTE cause this?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Okay. I'm not overly familiar with coursing in general so you may have to spell out some stuff that you think is obvious. Apologies.

How did RTE cause this?

If you watched the program you’d understand.

If you watched the program you’d understand.
    Are you not capable of explaining it? I've been told that program is highly biased so don't want to be lead astray :pac:

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    Ive tried to explain before how coursing clubs protect hares (and indirectly other wildlife) in isolated rural areas. However, I was just met with disbelief and agression from the anti greyhound sport posters. A lot of people don't want to consider the full consequences of banning coursing and greyhound racing.

The only argument for Coursing helping hares that I have ever seen is the fact that they essentially bar any illegal shooting within these areas and are tried to be kept fox free. Never really washed with me, as not sure two wrongs make a right. Also think when I saw it, many figures were donkeys old (hare density & number of farmers who actively hunt in this current climate vs manned agriculture).

I'd love to know the full consequences of banning Greyhound Racing (bar the usual sob story of jobs and economic downturn).

wardides wrote: »
    The only argument for Coursing helping hares that I have ever seen is the fact that they essentially bar any illegal shooting within these areas and are tried to be kept fox free. Never really washed with me, as not sure two wrongs make a right. Also think when I saw it, many figures were donkeys old (hare density & number of farmers who actively hunt in this current climate vs manned agriculture).

I'd love to know the full consequences of banning Greyhound Racing (bar the usual sob story of jobs and economic downturn).

Banning greyhound racing would lead to the extinction of the greyhound there would be no reason to breed them. Whether you like it or not, thousands benefit from the sport in different areas. Trainers, schooling tracks, feed companies, kennel staff and everything connected with maintaining a track and staff for race nights. Bars, restaurants as well as trackside.
    Banning coursing could lead to the Irish hare becoming extinct. Hares that are netted for coursing are vaccinated and receive any necessary veterinary care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Banning coursing could lead to the Irish hare becoming extinct. Hares that are netted for coursing are vaccinated and receive any necessary veterinary care.
    "Could", yet there's no evidence that similar extinction occurred where coursing is banned.

"Could", yet there's no evidence that similar extinction occurred where coursing is banned.

Hence my using the word “could”. If this current virus isn’t tackled, then the future of the hare is in serious doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hence my using the word “could”. If this current virus isn’t tackled, then the future of the hare is in serious doubt.

The virus can be tackled independent of coursing. In fact, chasing hares, even vaccinated ones, with dogs isn't great for their life expectancy, versus not chasing them.

It is indeed a terrible shame about the hare/rabbit virus and that it is impacting the native hare population. None, zip, zero, nil of that has anything to do with coursing.

Solving the hare problem should be the province of the An Taisce (I think that's the dept. of the environment?) The ICC are a shower of clowns as is regularly shown on this thread and shouldn't have their obviously limited abilities be taxed to do something important like help with the hare epidemic. In fact, the ICC should be shut down imo, coursing's barbaric and something for aging dilettantes to get their vicarious jollies. Leave the poor hares alone, or trap them and vaccinate if the latter makes the most sense for handling the epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Banning greyhound racing would lead to the extinction of the greyhound there would be no reason to breed them.

And that's bad why? All breeds are man made creations anyway.

I'm sure people would like to breed and keep them just like all the non working, non sporting breeds that make no money for big industry somehow survive.

Banning greyhound racing would lead to the extinction of the greyhound there would be no reason to breed them. Whether you like it or not, thousands benefit from the sport in different areas. Trainers, schooling tracks, feed companies, kennel staff and everything connected with maintaining a track and staff for race nights. Bars, restaurants as well as trackside.
    Ah here. Are you having a laugh? You should tell that to all the greyhounds that exist in countries that don't have racing. What about all the other breeds of sighthound? Have they gone extinct since there's no races for them. It's been a long time since we had wolves in this country yet the Irish Wolfhound still exists. I know someone with a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Lives in the middle of London. Not many lions to be hunting there.
    Not everyone sees money symbols when we look at dogs. Some of us actually like their company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Igotadose wrote: »
    In fact, the ICC should be shut down imo, coursing's barbaric and something for aging dilettantes to get their vicarious jollies. Leave the poor hares alone, or trap them and vaccinate if the latter makes the most sense for handling the epidemic.

This personal attack on strangers shows you don’t know much about coursing.

If a vaccination program is required the best way to do this is through the coursing clubs. There are no other resources available in Ireland to do this.

Igotadose wrote: »
    The virus can be tackled independent of coursing. In fact, chasing hares, even vaccinated ones, with dogs isn't great for their life expectancy, versus not chasing them.

It is indeed a terrible shame about the hare/rabbit virus and that it is impacting the native hare population. None, zip, zero, nil of that has anything to do with coursing.

Solving the hare problem should be the province of the An Taisce (I think that's the dept. of the environment?) The ICC are a shower of clowns as is regularly shown on this thread and shouldn't have their obviously limited abilities be taxed to do something important like help with the hare epidemic. In fact, the ICC should be shut down imo, coursing's barbaric and something for aging dilettantes to get their vicarious jollies. Leave the poor hares alone, or trap them and vaccinate if the latter makes the most sense for handling the epidemic.

An Taisce protect buildings. How have ICC been shown to be a bunch of clowns, just a matter of interest who will vacinate the Hares if not the coursing clubs.

• Advertisement

Are you off your head? I actually quite enjoy the company of my greyhound, as do several friends of mine who have recently adopted. Not everyone breeds a dog to make money out of them for christ sake.

I've said my point on the economic issue. It's a necessary evil unfortunately. Feed Companies will absolutely survive. People will find work. Are you seriously telling me that if we ban (or what I think would be far more feasible and realistic but limit it to 1/2 meetings a day for now), that the bar man who works in Shelbourne park would never get another job?

The only people who would directly lose out (on a mass scale), would be trainers & gambling companies. And even then I'm not sure why that's a reason to continue. Job losses are part and parcel of life. Happens every day, for a variety of reasons. They are not nice, but unfortunately at times, a nevvessary evil.

Advertisement