Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I/Should I get my car radio back from the scrap dealer?

• 26-06-2019 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭

OK here's the background. My car (03 Honda Civic) had an electrical fire last month in the engine bay which pretty much signed it's death certificate. Put in my claim with the insurance and they classed it as category B scrap and appointed a scrap dealer to take it off my local garage and the insurance company paid off the claim.
    The scrap dealer rang me at work this morning asking for permission to take the car and I told them that they could.
    I had installed a Sony Stereo Bluetooth radio in the car that has a USB, Aux and FM radio tuner (though no CD player, but I used Spotify anyway so I never needed one)
    It was driving home in the afternoon that I remembered that although I had taken the front of the unit out, the rest of the radio was still in place in the dashboard. I rang the garage but they told me the scrap dealer had already taken the car.
    So, if I ask the scrap dealer for the rest of my radio back will I get it, and should I even bother? My new car has a stereo bluetooth radio already so I don't need it for that car. Is there much of a market for selling them online second hand? Presumably the radio is useless to the scrap dealer without the front of the unit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Was it expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ring them and ask. Car breakers generally sell car stereos for a tenner if you were looking for one so they may ask that amount for it or they might tell you to take it. You’ll only find out by asking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not your radio anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Number one rule when sending anything to scrapped is to take what you need before it goes.
    I wouldn't even bother going looking for it now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going against the woulda shoulda posts above, I'd reckon it's worth giving them a ring and ask nicely. You have the front from the unit so the rest is kinda useless without it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

TBH unless it's a double-din Model specific android head unit that you wanted to sell they're worth feck-all 2nd hand.

You can pick up a new Pioneer specced exactly the same as your old one for €50 in halfords.

Give the Breaker a ring anyway and just tell them you forgot to take out the stereo. Just to see what they say.....but honestly if it's just to resell it's more hassle than the €10/15 that you'll get for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thanks, I think I'll let it go.
    If there isn't much market, there isn't much point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

flazio wrote: »
    Thanks, I think I'll let it go.
    If there isn't much market, there isn't much point.

There’s absolutely no market for them anymore, you might have some hope selling a double din unit but for a single din bog standard radio (which I’m afraid all yours is) then there is no market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Tell them you left a bag of coke in behind the radio.

They'll have the radio removed for you by the time you get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Round these parts, Coke comes in cans and bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

flazio wrote: »
    Round these parts, Coke comes in cans and bottles.

All right money bags, some of us can only afford enough to fill the corner cut off a plastic sandwich bag twisted and sealed with a lighter, let alone it all shoved into a soft drink bottle

Advertisement