Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Deposit - Chicago

Options
  • 26-06-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Folks,

I was reading a few things online about Security deposits = to a months rent are now really a thing of the past unless for top of the range places. E.G looking at this place
    apartments.com/500-station-blvd-aurora-il/mklk83k/

It charges an
    Admin fee: $300
    Application Fee: $75

Most places are like this in Aurora. Is there a security deposit = to a months rent on top of this.

I'm moving over on a J1 in around four months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

My wife's parents own multiple rental properties here in NC and they charge a full months rent plus a full month deposit. Then you have extra fees for pets and penalty fees for late payments, cleaning charges in some cases are also added.

I am not sure why any landlord would take a chance and rent without a security deposit. Check out rental listings for the area on Zillow and it will generally give you a good idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

It's not unusual for apartment complexes to ask for deposits less than a months rent. It will usually depend on a few of things; length of lease, credit score, history of renting, etc. The first apartment I got when I arrived here asked for a $500 deposit, which was ~15% of the monthly rent. You'll also probably need to think about other deposits too; the internet company wanted me to pay 3 months in advance because I had no credit score, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I actually live in Chicago in an apartment which is leased off an agency.

There was no deposit. Instead I paid a once off admin fee which is to cover their costs including when they run a background check on you.

The background check includes your credit history. If you have a poor credit rating they will insist you have a co-signer, such as a parent, who will cover your rent if you find yourself unable.

Advertisement