Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend Builders Opening - convert Open-Fire to Stove?

Options
  • 27-06-2019 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

BACKGROUND: Want to move from an Open Fire to a Cassette / Inset Stove.

I've taken out the existing open fireplace and exposed the original Builders Opening. Usable size is 440 wide, 740 high and 370 deep.

I've gone around a number of stove shops and all say that they can easily extend the opening to accommodate different inset or standalone stoves. One said that they had their own installer and they regularly extend so that the Flu Gatherer only has to be supported by approx 2" on either side.

Curently the Flu Gatherer is built on standard 4" blocks laid flat i.e. 440mm or approx 7" support on either side. Is there a safe amount that the opening can be extended - or is that an absolute 'no-no'? :confused:

Anyone know?

Cheers,

Oliver

Advertisement