Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a vaccinnated child pass a virus on to an unvaccinated child?

Options
  • 27-06-2019 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi All, this might be a stupid question.

My toddler is vaccinated for chicken pox, we decided to do this when he was 12 months. I have a younger 8 months old child who obviously isn't vaccinated as you cant get that vaccination till you are 12 months old.

My toddlers playgroup has alerted us to the fact that there has been an outbreak of chicken pox in the group. Hopefully the vaccination will be effective and my toddler wont suffer with it. my question is though, can he carry the virus and pass it on to my 8 month old?

my reason for saying is it a stupid question is because of what I know about herd immunity which makes me think I am answering my own question. and then there is also the risk that my toddler does present with the chicken pox but just with a milder case of it in which case he could pass it in.

just trying to work it through in my head.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am going to hazard a guess no, but it is anecdotally based on my own experience....when no.2 was 4 days old, a visitor dropped over with kids.The then rang me to let me know that the house they had been in the day before, the kids there had started chicken pox.So essentially they were letting us know that their kid had been exposed to it, and could possibly have carried it into my house (potentially infecting my toddler and inevitably my baby).Long story short, I was in the Rotunda at a follow-up apointment, asked the Paed who went and got her Senior-his verdict was third hand contact, highly unlikely the baby would get it.(And she didn't).

So if that makes sense, I hope it helps a bit!!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think there's something like a 10% failure rate for the CP vaccine. I've known a few kids that had the vaccine and who still went on to catch CP. They probably got a milder dose than they would have if they'd not be vaccinated but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The chicken pox is transmitted through direct contact with the virus, so your toddler won’t carry it home to your baby. When someone has the pox, the virus usually remains (dormant) in their system for a long time/always- the vaccine essentially has the same effect.
    That being said, from what I’ve seen, chickenpox is so contagious that your baby could easily catch it somewhere else, without you realising they’ve even been in contact with it

Advertisement