Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver NCB

• 27-06-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi all,

so we(wife and me) used to run 2x cars, each was main driver on one and named on the other.
    We downsized to one car with me as the main driver and the wife as named. It's been almost two years since she had a policy in her own name and with renewal time approaching, decided to start looking for quotes and switch to her being the main driver instead.

First port of call was our current insurance, the agent I spoke to advised there's no real benefit in switching and she won't lose her NCB for as long as she continues as a named driver on my policy.
    He suggested that, for as long as there's been no claims, she has named driver NCB and although it's not a document normally sent out on renewal(like the NCB for the main driver), it can be provided upon request.
    So, if we ever decide for a second car, for her to get insurance she'll need the 2 year NCB in her own name plus named-driver NCB that proves she's been continually insured and without gaps.

I suppose I'm interested to know if that's how things work and by getting another policy in my own name(with her as named) won't kill her chances of getting insurance in her own name if we ever need a second car again.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

The insurance agent is talking through his hat! There’s a big difference between named driver experience and a no claims bonus. A no claims bonus will expire after 2 years. It’s not unusual at all for a couple to alternate as the main driver at the end of 2 years to preserve both bonuses. I think you should proceed to look for a quote with your wife as the main driver to preserve her bonus and not heed what the ill-advised insurance agent told you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

NCB is a big scam operated by insurance companies. Imagine having 2 cars, but you need to build up a 2nd NCB on your 2nd car!

Named driver experience counts as no claims, but may be capped at 2 years.

If you don't have insurance in 2 years, you also lose your NCB

As for alternating between named driver and policy owner, i know a couple who had done this for years, only for their insurer to tell them they weren't allowed to. Not sure if that's across the board, just their insurer, or just a dopey agent talking nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

As treascon said,the agent is talking through their hoop. Your wife will loose her NBC, no doubt about it. Other insurance companies MAY take her driving experience (on your policy) into account, bou others will not. I know this from very recent experience.
    My advice is to shop around with other companies with your wife as the main driver in order to preserve her bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Thanks guys for all the responses, I had a sneaky suspicion he wasn't giving me all the facts and he was more interested in renewing the policy as is, cheers!

Advertisement