Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council delay in replying put me into arreas

Options
  • 27-06-2019 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Beginning of April I got a job, informed council same week. Week later got form for assessment of rent
    Send out within week... For 11 weeks council was quiet and today I got letter increasing rent and... ARREAS!
    They decided my rent goes up from day of employment but they have decided it 11 werks later so they put me into arreas by the increased amount.

How to fight that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

But if the decision is sound you owe the money, surely you knew this was coming and it would have been sensible to hold a bit of money for that reason.

Just contact them and make arrangements to pay the increased rent and extra so you can clear the arrangements.

Why would you want to fight against something you legitimately owe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Brian

I was expecting something but my salary isnt going to cover it.
    It took them 11 weeks to reply.
    I was not aware of the amount I was going to be charged.
    What I have saved will hardly cover it.

Responsibility has to come from both sides not just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

ani_mal wrote: »
    Send out within week... For 11 weeks council was quiet and today I got letter increasing rent and... ARREAS!

It's cool. Use the extra money you earn to pay said arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Cut back on things that you can do without until you've paid your arrears off. Youll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

How to fight that?

im trying to think of a nice way to put this. you owe the money, and there is nothing to fight. 11 weeks is not unreasonable, and you could have overpaid on the rent if you didn't want to be in arrears. the council have publicly made available the rent calculations so you could work out what you would now be paying.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Housing/Rent_Scheme_2011/Documents/Rent%20Scheme%202019.pdf

If the council doubled the number of staff to deal with queries faster, then both your tax and your rent would have to be higher to cover the costs. I doubt thats what you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

How much rent are they charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I assume your council don't pluck a number out of the sky. You could have gone onto their website and calculated the new rent due.

As for what you can do now.. if you don't have the money, you should contact the council's arrears section and ask them to put a repayment plan in place. It will mean you don't have to pay all the arrears upfront and can repay them over a longer period.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

antix80 wrote: »
    I assume your council don't pluck a number out of the sky. You could have gone onto their website and calculated the new rent due.

As for what you can do now.. if you don't have the money, you should contact the council's arrears section and ask them to put a repayment plan in place. It will mean you don't have to pay all the arrears upfront and can repay them over a longer period.

op, please do as this poster advises; get in touch with them; you will be very far from the first person to get into this situation and they are experienced . Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Just pay the council back a over a few months.

And be grateful that you have a highly subsidised council house, paying a pittance compared to what most people are paying in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ani_mal wrote: »
    Brian

I was expecting something but my salary isnt going to cover it.
    It took them 11 weeks to reply.
    I was not aware of the amount I was going to be charged.
    What I have saved will hardly cover it.

Responsibility has to come from both sides not just one.

Seriously just ring them and make arrangements to pay what you owe.
    Tax payer is already footing the bill.
    Be responsible and pay what’s due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can understand your frustration OP. Contact the council and ask for a payment plan for the arrears, especially as 3 months has built up at this stage.

Congratulations on the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

<SNIP>

Mod

handlemaster, don't post in this thread again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Posters that have arrived to this thread on their high horse are cordially invited to dismount before posting again.

Advertisement