Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally westbury-New home Advice

• 27-06-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

We are a young couple and looking to buy our first dream home in Corbally Area(Westbury-Close to the Church)

We both are foreigners and been living in ireland for some time now. What we heard is Corbally being very big estate, the people and places can give different experince from blcok to block.

Can you please let us know, if there are many foreigners and if its a good place for our future, as we are planning on kids as well. We heard about the traffic congestion.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

We are a young couple and looking to buy our first dream home in Corbally Area(Westbury-Close to the Church)

We both are foreigners and been living in ireland for some time now. What we heard is Corbally being very big estate, the people and places can give different experince from blcok to block.

Can you please let us know, if there are many foreigners and if its a good place for our future, as we are planning on kids as well. We heard about the traffic congestion.

Westbury is now a huge, sprawling estate of over one thousand houses. It's sheer size is it's main drawback as the local road infrastructure is not designed to carry the resulting traffic volumes although that issue is commonplace in most Limerick suburbs. The area is very well served by amenities - shopping, medical centre, church, sports facilities - all within walking distance. There are two good primary schools in the area, Scoil Ide and Parteen. The number of foreigners living in the area would appear to be quite low certainly in comparison to places like Dooradoyle and Castletroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Traffic is the biggest drawback in morning and evening. Westbury is nice and quiet as far as anyone I know living there has to say about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

A lot depends on where you are working in - if it's ( say for exampe Dooradoyle /Raheen or Castletroy then you are looking at a longish commute in am - all traffic goes in the Corbally Road /Athlunkard Street which can be the heaviest in the city in a.m. If either of you work in the city centre, the side of Corbally closer to the city ( i.e not over the bridge to Westbury ) is more walkable to the city - 20-25 mins for most of lower Corbally. Westbury has a ( relatively OK) bus service , however, its also traffic dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limerickguy03

Thank you all for responses.

I will be working in UL Campus, I am familiar with heavy traffic in that Corbally area.

I am worried about any sort of Racist behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I will be working in UL Campus, I am familiar with heavy traffic in that Corbally area.

If you ride a bike there is a cyclepath which runs from Athlunkard Bridge along the river as far as UL.
    As far as racist behaviour is concerned I think you need have no worries at all in that regard. The vast majority of Limerick citizens are highly tolerant of and welcoming to foreigners in the community. You sometimes hear of racially motivated assaults and verbal abuse in city centre areas but these type of incidents are relatively uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Thank you all for responses.

Id say you're less likely to encounter any racism etc or bad neighbourhoods / anti-social behaviour here than elsewhere - your only problems are likely to be traffic related, or the odd group of bored teenagers. Our street in Corbally in the last 2-3 years have had a number of Polish, Philippine and indian families move in. Once the kids start to play together you are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

chicorytip wrote: »
    If you ride a bike there is a cyclepath which runs from Athlunkard Bridge along the river as far as UL.
    As far as racist behaviour is concerned I think you need have no worries at all in that regard. The vast majority of Limerick citizens are highly tolerant of and welcoming to foreigners in the community. You sometimes hear of racially motivated assaults and verbal abuse in city centre areas but these type of incidents are relatively uncommon.

Also out the back by Gilloge. This was opened in Semester 1 of 2018 for cars as a trial by UL and Clare County Council to count the usage but it was then closed and I never heard any more about it. Avoids the primary corbally road traffic and its easily cycled / walked though and totally void of traffic.

Advertisement