Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing tyre sizes

• 27-06-2019 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Hi , just wondering, would it be silly to fit 175 x 65 x 14 inch 2018 year tyres on alloys to an 08 diesel fiesta that has on it now 195 x 50 x 15 inch non alloy, year of the tyres are 2015. Personally I dont like low profile tyres.Would the car handle wrong if they were fitted???

pics

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Nothing at all silly about it. They’re very close in rolling circumference to each other so your speedo isn’t going to be out any more than 0.5%

Your car won’t handle or drive any different and comfort should increase slightly especially on poorer surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Thanks, just thought with the smaller tyres/wheels, they would upset things. The smaller tyres are practically brand new (bought new last year), so I dont want to get rid of them.I inherited the car from the sister , so if I was getting rid of the old car, they would be gone with it.Seems a bit unnecessary to have the other larger size on a relatively small car. Maybe its all to do with taste by a previous owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You'd be losing 20mm of width though.
    I wouldt want to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jimmyw wrote: »
    Hi , just wondering, would it be silly to fit 175 x 65 x 14 inch 2018 year tyres on alloys to an 08 diesel fiesta that has on it now 195 x 50 x 15 inch non alloy, year of the tyres are 2015. Personally I dont like low profile tyres.Would the car handle wrong if they were fitted???

pics

If the brake rotors fit and you choose rims that have proper offset, you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You'd be losing 20mm of width though.
    I wouldt want to do that.

Unless your second name is Hamilton, it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

grogi wrote: »
    If the brake rotors fit and you choose rims that have proper offset, you will be fine.

Sorry about this but my ocd is showing, they are called brake discs in this part of the world, not rotors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Youre not going to notice any difference between the two sets of wheels realistically, 15/195/50 wouldnt be considered low profile.

One thing to note, steel rims might not look great but they are much lower maintenance than alloys - they dont buckle or crack and need constant balancing (depending on the roads you are on) and they dont scrape and get damaged easily.

I would stick with what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Thanks for all the replys.Just to be clear, the discs haven't been changed, between the cars and the alloys are not in showroom condition and they do have embedded brake dust and a few marks as usual on them so I am not trying to protect them from dirt anyway. The steel ones if not regarded as L P, are certainly closer to the road shall we say.

I just prefer the bigger aspect ratio of tyres,and I don't have to keep putting on and off the plastic cable ties to the wheel covers. Okay, I might just experiment with them and change, but if I end up in a ditch, then I am holding you all responsible....................😂ha! ha!

Advertisement