Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing ivy

Options
  • 27-06-2019 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi,

I’d like to grow Boston ivy up a rendered wall to cover ugly water staining. (See photo of wall below)

The issue I have is there is cobble paid directly up to the base of the wall, leaving nowhere to plant.
    My options I think are :
    1) remove a bit of the cobble next to the wall and plant there. Possible issues being there’s probably hardcore and gravel beneath - would be tough to remove this and replace with soil . Also potential of ivy roots to grow under rest of cobble and lift it.

2)I was thinking of putting in a wooden planter box and plant the ivy in that. How deep would this need to be for the ivy to grow properly?

Thanks for any advice.

Image attached
    https://ibb.co/zs0x0qg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's grown in containers in some places, to restrict it's growth. Be aware that this can become rampant and damage walls if you try to pull it off unwanted areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had some in a large tub for years and it really never did anything - it stayed alive and grew a bit but really didn't like being in a tub.

I agree you are only likely to find concrete under those cobbles - I'd be reluctant to disturb them.

I think the only reason you are noticing the staining on that wall is because i is absolutely bare - a couple of tubs with something that doesn't mind being in a tub would help. Maybe a pieris - happy in a tub.

Advertisement