Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seanachai wrote: »
    I never condoned what he said and I said he was being xenophobic towards Omar, I'm questioning the official line that he assumed that the women were from different countries solely based on their appearance. It wouldn't even make sense in that case as he knows that US born citizens can look like citizens of any other country. He could have even just Googled them and saw their biographies.

There was an official line about this? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Genuine question for any Trump supporter.

If gun availability was not the cause of these shootings, nor was Trump's rhetoric, and the real issue here is mental health, then why are the Republicans intent on repealing the Affordable Care Act?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Jesus, but that story of the little baby, both of whose parents were killed in the El Paso shooting, being brought in for a photo-op with the Trumps is, if true, beyond belief!!

I'm saying to myself, this simply can't be true.. Has it been confirmed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Jesus, but that story of the little baby, both of whose parents were killed in the El Paso shooting, being brought in for a photo-op with the Trumps is, if true, beyond belief!!

I'm saying to myself, this simply can't be true.. Has it been confirmed?

Confirmed: plus, IIRC the man to the left of the picture is the brother of the murdered father,
    who took the child in. Apparently he's an avowed republican conservative, and according to NPR, wanted to meet with Trump to see if he had “...maybe some kind of remorse for statements that he’s made,”. I haven't read any further comments about whether he received a sense of remorse. I'd make an estimate myself but ... ... nah. We know it's a negative.

SNIP. Please do not dump videos here.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Confirmed: plus, IIRC the man to the left of the picture is the brother of the murdered father,
    who took the child in. Apparently he's an avowed republican conservative, and according to NPR, wanted to meet with Trump to see if he had “...maybe some kind of remorse for statements that he’s made,”. I haven't read any further comments about whether he received a sense of remorse. I'd make an estimate myself but ... ... nah. We know it's a negative.

They're ghouls trying to profit off a personal tragedy for that baby. Does the baby not have rights? Trump 's language and invective inspired the shooter's so-called manifesto, FFS! And the poor mite is brought in to serve as a political prop for a pair of ghouls!!

Every. ****ing. Day. They. Go. Even. Lower!!!

And still his apologists will come on here spouting propaganda and how great he is... Jeez, can the relevant authorities in NY and DC please pay massive overtime to all the investigators in SDNY and elsewhere so that the laws of the land can be brought to bear upon this monster! Really, I'm not sure that country will survive if Trump's reign is not brought to a swift end through legal means.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    They're ghouls trying to profit off a personal tragedy for that baby. Does the baby not have rights? Trump 's language and invective inspired the shooter's so-called manifesto, FFS! And the poor mite is brought in to serve as a political prop for a pair of ghouls!!

Every. ****ing. Day. They. Go. Even. Lower!!!

And still his apologists will come on here spouting propaganda and how great he is... Jeez, can the relevant authorities in NY and DC please pay massive overtime to all the investigators in SDNY and elsewhere so that the laws of the land can be brought to bear upon this monster! Really, I'm not sure that country will survive if Trump's reign is not brought to a swift end through legal means.

That's one thing I cannot bear to imagine, when trump leaves the white house in 2020 (or god forbid 2024) that he manages to slip the handcuffs, I can see him continuing his 'rallies' and qanon cráp and thus he'll continue to go lower and lower

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Do you know what? Trump can't be a racist.

He hires Mexicans* all the time

*illegally

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1159829510348369920?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

reg114 wrote: »

Trump is the ultimate political whore in that he will say anything that gets him support and if that means denigrating a soft target like illegal mexicans then so be it. No other president would have resorted to such tactics. While JFK and Clinton were adulterers and Nixon a proven racist, all of them had the cop on to at least keep their transgressions behind closed doors and feign an air of being presidential.

And let's not forget that darling of the neocons Reagan who was also a racist:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/

And let's not forget that darling of the neocons Reagan who was also a racist:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/

In fairness, Reagan's call with Nixon took place in 1971 when he said what he said, appalling as his comments (and Nixon's subsequent re-telling to aides) were. We've come a long way since then, or so we'd thought. There is no legitimate comparison between attitudes 48 years ago and those of today.

Almost 50 years of growth as a society, together with a body of legislation that has been enacted over that time, has made huge strides to make comments like Reagan's totally beyond the pale. It is the fact that Trump's rhetoric panders to the White Nationalist fringes of society, and gives weight to those who would want to roll back all the gains of those 50 years that makes his racism all the more detestable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

pixelburp wrote: »

Trump doesn't care about a baby's parents being murdered by one of his devout followers. He doesn't care about anything, but staying in office and out of jail. None of what he does makes sense to anyone with an iota of decency and humanity.
    One thing does make sense though - he sure as hell isn't winning voters.

And this - if he actually took on the NRA and banned these military weapons, he would get elected again next year and would be remembered as a good President, the one who ended mass shootings. But he is too stupid to understand that, and has fired anyone with the sense to tell him. He was so close to it after the Parkland murders, he actually told the GOP senators that they were afraid of the NRA and that we wasn't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JfisbUVei4 Being honest, I was truly hoping he would be strong and end the mass shootings, I thought he would actually stick it to the NRA. Remember he had the House and the Senate then.

Two months later he was onstage at the NRA convention singing their praises and guaranteeing no change to the second constitutional amendment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk_nIiia058

That's the problem with populism, it doesn't leave much room for the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I kinda feel like the Republicans are on a hiding to nothing here.

There'll still be huge military contracts. They can surely find some sort of corruption angle to run for getting a few quid from the systems they'll be using to enforce gun control measures. I'm sure law enforcement unions would prefer to be dealing with desk job stuff involving gun registration rather than getting shot at.

Apparently a majority of Republicans are for an assault weapon ban. Given the vagueness of that term, I'd take that with a little salt, but it's clear that in general terms there's support for gun control of some kind.

It seems like even by their own low, corrupt standards, this isn't a good course of action for the Republicans.

The next generation will wholly reject the Republican party. It doesn't care for them. Intolerant, denying climate change, guns, racist.

If Trump gets dumped next year, which I fully expect he will, the Republicans will be gone for decades. Decades which will see the acceptance of universal health care and, more significantly, whites becoming a minority.

Trump and McConnell are the death croak of white republican america.

Among all the usual rabble noise, Trump has ramped up tariffs against China, the only thing he can implement without Congressional approval due to an ancient loophole. China, of course, immediately devalued their currency, the yuan, to remain competitive and switch their source of soy beans from North America to South America, to Brazil. No sweat off their nose and all things remain the same in China.

Not so in the US, where soybean farmers now see rotting crops and are relying on handouts from US taxpayers to stay above water.

Trump's reaction is to call China "currency manipulators", which is beyond parody, claims billions of dollars are flowing in to the US from China, which is a lie, and that China are going through their worst economic period in decades, which is also a lie.

Remember this - due to an historical security concern, tariffs can be introduced by POTUS without approval. This is why Trump is firing these tariffs around like cheap confetti. Because he can.

On the crest of an economic wave, Trump's total incompetence is introducing a trade war with China, which they will always lose, and heating the economy's cheap credit to catastrophic levels.

As always, it will be a Democratic President who mops up the mess, but this time there will be no trusted Republicans left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Shelga wrote: »
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mediaite.com/news/twitter-recoils-at-white-house-photo-op-of-trump-and-first-lady-smiling-with-baby-orphaned-in-el-paso-massacre-act-like-a-human-being/amp/

Trump gives the thumbs up while Melania holds a 2 month old baby boy, whose parents were murdered in the shooting. The baby’s hand was broken when his mother’s dead body fell on him, she died while covering him. The baby had been discharged but was brought back to the hospital for this photo op.

Trump is an absolutely sickening, repugnant, inexcusable human being.

I am equally enraged by that photo but unfortunately not surprised. The man is a total narcissist with not a compassionate bone in his body. Any right minded individual would have used this to deliver a message of empathy to the victims; instead he was more concerned about a cheap photo op.

You can be sure that he didn't go to El Paso to pay his respects, he went there because he was told it would be the right thing to do. Making a thumbs up sign beside a baby who has just lost their parents is beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Trump Is a White Nationalist Who Inspires Terrorism
    Michelle Goldberg, Aug. 5, 2019

White Terrorism Shows ‘Stunning’ Parallels to Islamic State’s Rise
    Max Fisher, Aug. 5, 2019

I Spent 25 Years Fighting Jihadis. White Supremacists Aren’t So Different.
    Ali H. Soufan, Aug. 5, 2019

Trump, Tax Cuts and Terrorism
    Paul Krugman, Aug. 5, 2019

The Nihilist in Chief - How our president and our mass shooters are connected to the same dark psychic forces.
    Ross Douthat, Aug. 6, 2019

This is the New York Times (and many others that take their lead from this paper) spewing incendiary language at a volume and intensity that is in no way reflective of the reality on the group in the United States. White supremacists (KKK types) have been sued out of existence in the United States over the past few decades they are not even a credible political force or threat any more. What in the world is driving this hysteria that seems to be coordinated? Is the hatred of Trump that visceral among certain members of the media or given the original attacks failed on him is this a new strategy going into 2020?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Trump Is a White Nationalist Who Inspires Terrorism
    Michelle Goldberg, Aug. 5, 2019

White Terrorism Shows ‘Stunning’ Parallels to Islamic State’s Rise
    Max Fisher, Aug. 5, 2019

I Spent 25 Years Fighting Jihadis. White Supremacists Aren’t So Different.
    Ali H. Soufan, Aug. 5, 2019

Trump, Tax Cuts and Terrorism
    Paul Krugman, Aug. 5, 2019

The Nihilist in Chief - How our president and our mass shooters are connected to the same dark psychic forces.
    Ross Douthat, Aug. 6, 2019

This is the New York Times (and many others that take their lead from this paper) spewing incendiary language at a volume and intensity that is in no way reflective of the reality on the group in the United States. White supremacists (KKK types) have been sued out of existence in the United States over the past few decades they are not even a credible political force or threat any more. What in the world is driving this hysteria that seems to be coordinated? Is the hatred of Trump that visceral among certain members of the media or given the original attacks failed on him is this a new strategy going into 2020?

The reality is the vast, vast majority of mass shootings in the US are carried out by non-whites. And even those carried out by whites (less than half a dozen in the past 12 months) are majority leftist in origin. Connor Betts for example is clearly a violent far left activist. Warren must face the same criticism as Trump does, given a mass shooter was such a fan of her work. Ironically, both the NZ mosque shooter and the supposed El Paso manifesto criticised Trump. Neither shooter were fans of Trump.

The threat of violent white supremacists and the white male shooter is clearly a media trope. Media only takes an interest when the shooter is white, and so the narrative of the angry white male can be applied. Multiple mass shootings have occurred in the US since the Dayton and El Paso shootings, but no international media coverage because the narrative does not fit. Fake news for want of a better term. You're probably more likely to be killed in the US by a falling meteorite than a white male shooter. It is Jussie Smollett all over again.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Tucker Carlson

Sand wrote: »
    The reality is the vast, vast majority of mass shootings in the US are carried out by non-whites. And even those carried out by whites (less than half a dozen in the past 12 months) are majority leftist in origin. Connor Betts for example is clearly a violent far left activist. Warren must face the same criticism as Trump does, given a mass shooter was such a fan of her work. Ironically, both the NZ mosque shooter and the supposed El Paso manifesto criticised Trump. Neither shooter were fans of Trump.
    I agree - Warren is inciting hatred and is an enemy of the US - let's hope Trump for the sake off peace can combat her vile rhetoric. He's doing a great job.

The threat of violent white supremacists and the white male shooter is clearly a media trope. Media only takes an interest when the shooter is white, and so the narrative can be applied. Multiple mass shootings have occurred in the US since the Dayton and El Paso shootings, but no international media coverage because the narrative does not fit. Fake news for want of a better term. You're probably more likely to be killed in the US by a falling meteorite than a white male shooter. It is Jussie Smollett all over again.
    Dead right - there is no white supremacist threat - the whole thing is a hoax, just like the Russian interference narrative. Black areas are very dangerous - but if you say that, the lefties go all mad. It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So trump is slumping even further in the latest polls

Half eaten Oreo will beat him in 2020 if this keeps up

So trump is slumping even further in the latest polls

Half eaten Oreo will beat him in 2020 if this keeps up

Nobody beleives the fake news polls - Trump is in reality leading by a comfortable margin and he'll be re elected in a landslide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nobody beleives the fake news polls - Trump is in reality leading by a comfortable margin and he'll be re elected in a landslide.

Let me guess

You are 14

From back arse of cork

Mammy lets u use the Internet for an hour daily

Thanks for giving your opinion yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Biden seems to be getting more and more error prone.... him being the Democratic nomination could result in an easy win for trump....

Biden seems to be getting more and more error prone.... him being the Democratic nomination could result in an easy win for trump....

You say that, but Trump is still a factor in the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm trying to read the pages that I'm behind but to just talk about the points about Obama, Clinton, and Nixon. Were they perfect people and had perfect presidencies ? No, and particularly Clinton and Nixon because the former was impeached and the latter was in all but name but he resigned. Nixon while utterly paronoid about his political ememies which is why he recorded everything he at least has some positive legacy. During the Nixon presidency the CBO(congressional budget office) and the EPA were created and he tried to improve relations with both china and the Soviet Union(or Russia in New money) and when you look at his letter to the widow of JFK whatever he was and he wasn't a saint he was able to at least give off the impression he had a moral compass when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I agree - Warren is inciting hatred and is an enemy of the US - let's hope Trump for the sake off peace can combat her vile rhetoric. He's doing a great job.

Please, feel free to elaborate on how Warren is inciting hatred, is an enemy of the US and has vile rhetoric.

circadian wrote: »
    Please, feel free to elaborate on how Warren is inciting hatred, is an enemy of the US and has vile rhetoric.

She is a communist and hates white people I cant understand how any white person would vote for her, she is dangerous and wants a race war

Connor Betts just killed 9 people in her name in Dayton, Ohio. Warren has just recently described Trump as a white supremacist and Bett's online history reveals a deep seated hatred of white supremacists. He was radicalised by Twitter. With Warren classifying Trump as a white supremacist, and Betts attacking a bar which is nominally associated with Trump supporters...

Well, Warren needs to distance herself from support for violent attacks on Trump supporters/white supremacists. Right?

Warren has just recently described Trump as a white supremacist and Bett's online history reveals a deep seated hatred of white supremacists.

Hatred of white supremacists is hate speech - Warren is the one inciting hatred and she has blood on her hands. The left wing US media are biased against thse who want to keep America white as it has always been so how can they be taken sriously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

There are a few new kids visiting tonight. Expect 4chan/The_Donald sourced copy pasta intermixed with basic trolling to elicit "triggering of libs" for the next few posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Sen. Elizabeth Warren just proposed the largest seizure of private assets in human history
    August 16, 2018
    Massachusetts Senator and 2020 presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren has just proposed what would be the largest government seizure of private property in human history -- and she’s not kidding.

The euphemistically dubbed “Accountable Capitalism Act” would place all businesses with more than $1 billion in revenue under complete and total federal control. The feds would dictate to these businesses the composition of their boards, the details of internal corporate governance, compensation practices, personnel policies, and much more. Control of these businesses would shift from those who actually built them to politicians and bureaucrats who would no doubt use them for entirely philanthropic, non-self-serving ends (gag).

As Kevin D. Williamson notes over at the National Review, Warren is playing the long game. She’s floating this idea in preparation for her presidential run, and if she wins she’ll no doubt push policies just like this in a Congress that may or may not be under Republican control

source

Elisabeth Warren is a radical socialist masking as a Democrat and with her wealth tax in American politics that makes her an outright communist even more radical than comrade Bernie. If you look at the American Communist party website they state what Warren proposes explicitly.
    Many myths have been propagated about socialism. Contrary to right-wing claims, socialism would not take away the personal private property of workers, only the private ownership of major industries, financial institutions, and other large corporations, and the excessive luxuries of the super-rich.

source

Warren and her husband have a combined net worth between $4 million and $11 million so not short of a few dollars herself. That's one of the main reasons she is unelectable as president of the United States.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement