Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Meanwhile under Trump.....
    The U.S. fiscal deficit has already exceeded the full-year figure for last year, as spending growth outpaces revenue.
    The gap grew to $866.8 billion in the first 10 months of the fiscal year, up 27% from the same period a year earlier, the Treasury Department said in its monthly budget report on Monday. That’s wider than last fiscal year’s shortfall of $779 billion -- which was the largest federal deficit since 2012.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-12/u-s-budget-deficit-already-exceeds-last-year-s-total-figure

So much for fiscal conservatism. The Tea Party folks must be up in arms about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭amandstu

As someone said above, I’d say it’s more to do with insider trading and certain factions making truckloads of millions off his flip flopping with advance notice
    Can this be shown to be happening?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

FatherTed wrote: »
    Meanwhile under Trump.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-12/u-s-budget-deficit-already-exceeds-last-year-s-total-figure

So much for fiscal conservatism. The Tea Party folks must be up in arms about this.

So much for fiscal conservatism indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭serfboard

FatherTed wrote: »
    Yeah, you might think so, but as you imply, they're not, because they were not a real fiscally conservative movement in the first place.

Otherwise, they would oppose the massive federal tax transfers to the dirt-poor state of Kentucky, home of Mitch McConnell, to fund their basically (federally) government-funded economy.

Instead the Tea Party was a racist "movement" that hated the idea of a black president and that also hated the idea of black people ("Welfare Queens", as Ronald Reagan called them) getting Social Security.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fish in a barrel at this stage to point out the GOPs stinging hypocrisy over their supposed ideology of fiscal conservatism. We're a long way removed from the party of Eisenhower. McConnell doesn't care; Graham doesn't care; Ryan didn't; while god, guns and jingoistic paranoia continues to work this is the playbook taken, and notions of balancing the books can be saved for those "tax and spend Democrats" when they're in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The signals seem to show US will go into recession, but as to when, is difficult to pinpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Water John wrote: »
    The signals seem to show US will go into recession, but as to when, is difficult to pinpoint.

Who will be blamed I wonder?

I wonder do any of the Trumpettes want to comment on the Stock Market fall today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lot of other factors showing esp inversion of interest rates on short and long term loans. That has happened prior to the last five recessions.

Lot of other factors showing esp inversion of interest rates on short and long term loans. That has happened prior to the last five recessions.

The incoming recession is about as surprising as Trump's lies. I just hope it hits really hard before he's out of office.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The incoming recession is about as surprising as Trump's lies. I just hope it hits really hard before he's out of office.

The typical timescale for a recession following an inversion is 18-24 months , so he might get away with it.

Although having said that , in all the previous iterations there wasn't a President pursuing an utterly pointless trade-war with everyone so those timelines might not hold this time around...

The delay of the tariffs "to protect Christmas" might be a key turning point though , at least for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The typical timescale for a recession following an inversion is 18-24 months , so he might get away with it.

Although having said that , in all the previous iterations there wasn't a President pursuing an utterly pointless trade-war with everyone so those timelines might not hold this time around...

The delay of the tariffs "to protect Christmas" might be a key turning point though , at least for some.

Hopefully the little-people shareholders in the Co's which the financial backers/funders of the GOP and Trump have to answer to will express their concern about the financial costs his trade-deal efforts are costing them. With trade importers forcing him to revise the application start-date of the latest tariffs, it shows they have muscle to make him face facts and change his tune. Getting the bankers to follow up in respect of the investments the public entrust to them [on "ethical" grounds] and force the GOP to change its tune as well could be a tide-changing moment in respect to US politics as they "work" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Interesting stories in the Post and others about McConnell and his blocking of bi-partisan legislation protecting against voter interference and historically the tariffs.

Maddow had a segment on it too, and curiously, there were Democrats who were in favour of the aluminium plant, despite the person behind it and the compromising effect it may have on their senator because of the poor economy in McConnell's state

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Did i imagine this?
    Every time there’d be a stock market bump, or some sort of record set, trump would be tweeting claiming it a personal victory down to him.

He’s strangely quiet on the topic lately. Can’t imagine why.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Igotadose wrote: »
    That's impressive stuff given the US has an unemployment rate of 3.7%.

It'll be interesting to see how low that goes when the recession takes hold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

marno21 wrote: »

The recession is happening. The Fed lowering interest rates, under pressure from Trump, in an already heated economy was a seriously bad move.

Normally the recession wouldn't materialise until late 2020, but such is the lack of knowledge and experience under Trump, this will accelerate very dramatically. Trump's fall guy is Jay Powell and he will be the centre of all Trump's attacks from here on in until he resigns, but he is not a partisan figure and slating him will achieve little.

The karma we were expecting is coming to Trump faster than anyone expected now. He rode Obama's economy until now, but his useless tariffs and the turbulence in Hong Kong has upended the economy. He is finished.

Mueller stated that Trump will be indicted if he leaves office, in November 2020, Trump may be leaving the White House in handcuffs.

The election in November 2020, 14 months from now, will be a landslide. Trump will be destroyed. There is not a chance he will be re-elected, not a chance in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

marno21 wrote: »

IF a recession hits any time in 2020, Trump will be destroyed to an extent that he may not actually run at all. Whether that will result from his deciding not to run (likely preceded by a sham health scare) or him being 'disowned' by the Republicans remains to be seen.

The way the economy works, it is likely that any such recession will hold off until 2021 or 2022, however, so it could well be a parting gift that he is making for his successor, assuming that is a Democrat. That said, a recession is coming- its not a question of if, but when. That is a fact of economic cycles.

I see a few commentators almost hoping that a recession hits sooner rather than later, just to expedite his ejection from the White House. I don't think that is helpful, simply because its the people who are already suffering under Trump (at the bottom of the economic heap) who will suffer even more in a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I see a few commentators almost hoping that a recession hits sooner rather than later, just to expedite his ejection from the White House. I don't think that is helpful, simply because its the people who are already suffering under Trump (at the bottom of the economic heap) who will suffer even more in a recession.

The thing is there could be the worst recession in years whilst trump is in power and yet he'll still say that the economy is booming, and yet if someone corrects him he'll say that they're Fake News, as what has happened before and what will happen again

IF a recession hits any time in 2020, Trump will be destroyed to an extent that he may not actually run at all. Whether that will result from his deciding not to run (likely preceded by a sham health scare) or him being 'disowned' by the Republicans remains to be seen.

The way the economy works, it is likely that any such recession will hold off until 2021 or 2022, however, so it could well be a parting gift that he is making for his successor, assuming that is a Democrat. That said, a recession is coming- its not a question of if, but when. That is a fact of economic cycles.

Point 1: There is not a chance in hell Trump won't run. The minute he leaves office, he will be jailed.

Point 2: Leaving a terrible economy for a Democrat President is a Republican tradition, but Trump's admin lack the skills to achieve the timing for this. The economy will tank way before Q3 2020. It is happening now in plain sight.

Point 3: An ungodly recession is better for the US than active racism, active paedophilia, active destruction of the environment, etc. etc. etc. Trump staying in office is always the worst result. A rabies-ridden beaver as President would do less damage. The man is still separating children from their parents as I type this. He is an abhorrent mess of a man. Ted Bundy would be less of a danger than Trump. Bundy expressed remorse.

Sixteen women have accused Trump of credible sexual assault, credible in that their independent stories shared methods. How many women have you sexually assaulted? Me, none. Not sixteen.

I am very close to someone who was once on suicide watch. It was one chair at the entrance to their bedroom. Epstein's "suicide" is a lie. He was strategically murdered, no question.

For once in my life, I was right. He was strategically murdered.

• Advertisement

Is there any precedent for a US president telling a foreign government to not let in elected represetatives to their country?

This is yet another "bottom of the barrel" move by Trump.

You can't write this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Is there any precedent for a US president telling a foreign government to not let in elected represetatives to their country?

This is yet another "bottom of the barrel" move by Trump.

You can't write this stuff.

I thought that report was quite incredible also.

There's an extremely unhealthy nexus of US and Israeli politics that is highlighted by these Trump/Nethanyahu communications..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

While urging XI to meet Hong Kong protestors. He has all the foreign policy skills of Dougal from Father Ted.

I thought that report was quite incredible also.

There's an extremely unhealthy nexus of US and Israeli politics that is highlighted by these Trump/Nethanyahu communications..

I think Trump being considered the absolute moron that he is, the norm will switch back pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The recession is happening. The Fed lowering interest rates, under pressure from Trump, in an already heated economy was a seriously bad move.

Normally the recession wouldn't materialise until late 2020, but such is the lack of knowledge and experience under Trump, this will accelerate very dramatically. Trump's fall guy is Jay Powell and he will be the centre of all Trump's attacks from here on in until he resigns, but he is not a partisan figure and slating him will achieve little.

The karma we were expecting is coming to Trump faster than anyone expected now. He rode Obama's economy until now, but his useless tariffs and the turbulence in Hong Kong has upended the economy. He is finished.

Mueller stated that Trump will be indicted if he leaves office, in November 2020, Trump may be leaving the White House in handcuffs.

The election in November 2020, 14 months from now, will be a landslide. Trump will be destroyed. There is not a chance he will be re-elected, not a chance in hell.
    January 20th at 12:01pm EST is the earliest time a president could be indicted so even if Trump does lose in 2020 he is still president until 12pm on the day of the inauguration of the next president.

While urging XI to meet Hong Kong protestors. He has all the foreign policy skills of Dougal from Father Ted.

Bit harsh on Dougal in fairness.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    January 20th at 12:01pm EST is the earliest time a president could be indicted so even if Trump does lose in 2020 he is still president until 12pm on the day of the inauguration of the next president.

One of the things that I've thought about more than once is what damage Trump could do in the 8-10 weeks between Election day and Inauguration day in the event that he lost the vote.

I don't think he'd physically refuse to leave - He's a coward ,but he could do an incredible amount of damage all the same.

It goes without saying that he would be throwing pardons around like confetti , but what else could he do via Executive order in that time?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    One of the things that I've thought about more than once is what damage Trump could do in the 8-10 weeks between Election day and Inauguration day in the event that he lost the vote.

I don't think he'd physically refuse to leave - He's a coward ,but he could do an incredible amount of damage all the same.

It goes without saying that he would be throwing pardons around like confetti , but what else could he do via Executive order in that time?

Well all presidents grant pardons and the like up until the morning they leave office so throwing them around like confetti wouldn't be that unusual, but if he is beaten next year, you can take it to the bank that his team will make it impossible for the transition team of the incoming president to do what any transition team needs to do.

I think the biggest challenge facing the next US president whether in 2021 or 2025 is to rebuild the apparatus of the US government and the diplomatic corp. I don't know of the last count but the amount of unfilled posts in the US government is nuts. This isn't a big versus small government thing, it's what to me seem like positions that should be filled to run the government whatever your opinion of government.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For once in my life, I was right. He was strategically murdered.
    mod note: There's already an Epstein thread.
    Stay on topic here please folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Been living in the US for nearly 15 years now, got my citizenship around 4 years ago, I took a big step back from engaging in politics, especially online as it’s poontless and toxic but from the chants of send her back and now this Israeli travel ban for these congress women just makes me sick.
    How anyone can defend such a vile and toxic person is beyond me, this country is going down a dangerous path.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement