Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    One of the things that I've thought about more than once is what damage Trump could do in the 8-10 weeks between Election day and Inauguration day in the event that he lost the vote.

I don't think he'd physically refuse to leave - He's a coward ,but he could do an incredible amount of damage all the same.

It goes without saying that he would be throwing pardons around like confetti , but what else could he do via Executive order in that time?

If I was the Dems, I'd have been making a list of all Don Trump's changes in Dept protocols and changes in law [incl by executive order] to date, all changes and cancellations of laws and protocols made by Dept Secretaries to date, and all those made between now to the time/date he and his Admin Secretaries leave office, with the intent to cancel all the changes and bring back in the previous existing laws. Given that Don and his dept secretaries have not made changes on the basis of USSC ruling, the reversions should not face USSC challenges. It'd be time to put democracy back into the US, not greed and religious intolerance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

aloyisious wrote: »
    If I was the Dems, I'd have been making a list of all Don Trump's changes in Dept protocols and changes in law [incl by executive order] to date, all changes and cancellations of laws and protocols made by Dept Secretaries to date, and all those made between now to the time/date he and his Admin Secretaries leave office, with the intent to cancel all the changes and bring back in the previous existing laws. Given that Don and his dept secretaries have not made changes on the basis of USSC ruling, the reversions should not face USSC challenges. It'd be time to put democracy back into the US, not greed and religious intolerance.
    Does this then become a tit for tat everytime another Republican intent on rat****ing the place gets elected? Trump has done his level best to undo anything Obama did, so if President Biden/Warren comes in and reverses all of Trump's reversals, is that just until the next re-reversal?

marno21 wrote: »
    aloyisious wrote: »
    Does this then become a tit for tat everytime another Republican intent on rat****ing the place gets elected? Trump has done his level best to undo anything Obama did, so if President Biden/Warren comes in and reverses all of Trump's reversals, is that just until the next re-reversal?
    If they can explain to the electorate that it's not tit for tat and some regulations etc are a good thing then they might pull it off.
    I fully expect Trump to go straight into a fox news job directly after leaving the white-house and immediately start broadcasting nonsense about whatever his replacement does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

marno21 wrote: »

Naw. I'd have graphs proving the damage done by Don and Co's changes, including those to he economy causing adverse harm to US citizens standard of living, to make the reversions decent and popular to the citizen. I'd include any graphs produced by Fox as well to get the point home, incl todays Fox poll on his popularity. Have all this ready to ensure all Dons decisions are written into the memories of US citizens and his legacy trashed forever. Make the China tariff flip-flops the centre of it all to prove he's the worst trade-deal expert the US ever had making decisions on its behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He wants to buy Greenland. Well is there a place to put his name on in Greenland ? Also, isn’t Greenland part of Denmark ? Why would Denmark sell it to anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but Trump, who cannot get a credible bill of health from a reputable doctor and dines regularly on fast food and carbonated drinks, slags a man at his rally for being overweight and tells him to exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He wants to buy Greenland. Well is there a place to put his name on in Greenland ? Also, isn’t Greenland part of Denmark ? Why would Denmark sell it to anyone ?

Presumably Trump wants the exploration rights to be sown up in such a sale. Plus the northwest passage to China developed when the ice has all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Boggles the mind. The lack of concern for the environment just boggles the mind every time I see it.

On that Fox poll, with 59% of the respondents saying he is pulling the country apart. What % of that 59% would you say is actually quite happy with him tearing the country apart?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wouldn't be the first time the US purchased a piece of land from another nation mind you; between Alaska and the Virgin Islands it has happened. The geopolitics of the world have changed so much though, and the maturity of diplomatic relations between 'serious' countries also, it's hard to imagine this going anywhere.

Trump seems to amass fascinations so it'll doubtlessly pass. Remember when he promised to build a wall, and that Mexico would pay? Or that everyone would get amazing, cheap healthcare? Or spaceForce?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Where have all his supporters here gone to? Thrown in the towel?

I’d appreciate their often bizarre takes and defences of him right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Boggles the mind. The lack of concern for the environment just boggles the mind every time I see it.

On that Fox poll, with 59% of the respondents saying he is pulling the country apart. What % of that 59% would you say is actually quite happy with him tearing the country apart?

I've only just gone and looked at the details in that poll , some fairly sobering reading there for Trump surely given that this is a Fox poll.
    Approval of Trump’s response to the shootings stands at 37 percent, and 46 percent think the administration has made the country less safe from mass shootings. For comparison, 32 percent think Trump has made the country less safe from Islamic terrorist attacks.

In addition, more than three times as many believe a mass shooting by an American citizen is a bigger threat than a terrorist attack by Islamic terrorists (60-17 percent). And 32 percent are less likely to attend a large-scale event since the recent shootings -- that’s 12 points higher than the 20 percent who felt that way after 9/11 (October 2001).

People are more afraid to attend public events now than they were in the aftermath of 9/11 and believe that Domestic terror is 3 times more likely than external terrorism.

That's some achievement Mr Trump , MAGA indeed.

Details of poll here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Been living in the US for nearly 15 years now, got my citizenship around 4 years ago, I took a big step back from engaging in politics, especially online as it’s poontless and toxic but from the chants of send her back and now this Israeli travel ban for these congress women just makes me sick.
    How anyone can defend such a vile and toxic person is beyond me, this country is going down a dangerous path.

Well Israel know what they are doing, these two women openly admit to hating ISrael and wanting it off the map.

They are horrible anti american people - they hate the country they live in.
    Making light of Jihad , dismissing 9/11 as "some people did something".

Israel are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Agreed
    Since the economy has tanked, you'd miss Rigolo claiming the sky isn't blue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well Israel know what they are doing, these two women openly admit to hating ISrael and wanting it off the map.

Israel are spot on.

Quotes please for where and when both members said they wanted Israel "off the map". That's a huge claim to make without providing some evidence.

I can't think of a lazier piece of reductionism than "anti American"; how do you rationalise that, given they're both working within and for the machinery of State in the first place? Is there some quality of action that defines specifically as "Anti American"? They both started from nothing and worked their way into Congress, that sounds like the American Dream to me!

What does "Hate the country" even mean? They hate it so much they want to work at making it better, or at least deliver for their constituents? I think Ireland's a bit crap in places, does that make me "Anti Ireland"? Blind, cultish jingoism is a pox.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've only just gone and looked at the details in that poll , some fairly sobering reading there for Trump surely given that this is a Fox poll.

People are more afraid to attend public events now than they were in the aftermath of 9/11 and believe that Domestic terror is 3 times more likely than external terrorism.

That's some achievement Mr Trump , MAGA indeed.

Details of poll here

Another interesting element

https://twitter.com/hotlinejosh/status/1162125777330155520

Trump won this 47-30 in 2016 according to another tweet. That’s quite a reversal

Obviously the remaining 47% will have their say also and it is early days. But the trend for the Trump administration is downwards and that’s with the economy still reasonably strong

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Israel are spot on.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Quotes please for where and when both members said they wanted Israel "off the map". That's a huge claim to make without providing some evidence.

I can't think of a lazier piece of reductionism than "anti American"; how do you rationalise that, given they're both working within and for the machinery of State in the first place? Is there some quality of action that defines specifically as "Anti American"? They both started from nothing and worked their way into Congress, that sounds like the American Dream to me!

What does "Hate the country" even mean? They hate it so much they want to work at making it better, or at least deliver for their constituents? I think Ireland's a bit crap in places, does that make me "Anti Ireland"?

I'm pretty confident that if you went quote for quote , even limiting it to the timescale since the 2 Congresswomen stood for election , that Trump has said many more negative things about the US than they have.

Every single rally he talks about how terrible certain (Democrat) parts of the country are. Even his inauguration speech spoke of a dystopian view of America!

But somehow , Trump doesn't hate America even though he disparages it and large swathes of the population on an almost daily basis, but these women do because they are critical of Trump and/or current US policy?

It's utterly disingenuous to claim that any of these people "Hate America".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭volchitsa

pixelburp wrote: »

What does "Hate the country" even mean? They hate it so much they want to work at making it better, or at least deliver for their constituents? I think Ireland's a bit crap in places, does that make me "Anti Ireland"? Blind, cultish jingoism is a pox.

You won't get an answer because the double-think that's involved here shows that this is just racism that can't say its name: for this sort of poster, when Trump says America is a mess, he's "telling it like it is", but when a dark skinned person makes any criticism of America, it's proof that they hate America and just want to wreck it.

There's no reasoning with prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Waiting for some positive news about him.
    They’ll be waiting for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Israel are spot on.

I’m very anti Israel and would never visit because of their treatment of Palestine and their people.
    I don’t want them gone, I want them to stop.

Links to where they hate America please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

volchitsa wrote: »
    You won't get an answer because the double-think that's involved here shows that this is just racism that can't say its name: for this sort of poster, when Trump says America is a mess, he's "telling it like it is", but when a dark skinned person makes any criticism of America, it's proof that they hate America and just want to wreck it.

There's no reasoning with prejudice.

Bull****, I don't care about their skin colour, I care about the fact that Omar laughs about Jihad and discusses it lightly like it's no big deal, they are anti semites that HATE Israel.

The fact that Israel have banned them says a lot too, they don't f*ck up on intelligence.

You are the ones making it about race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'll always have a few posters on threads, keeping an eye that Israel is questioned in any way. BTW, they have left Talib visit her relatives on compassionate grounds, which now makes Trump look a total clown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Bull****, I don't care about their skin colour, I care about the fact that Omar laughs about Jihad and discusses it lightly like it's no big deal, they are anti semites that HATE Israel.

The fact that Israel have banned them says a lot too, they don't f*ck up on intelligence.

I’m interested in finding out more about this. Can you point me to some sources on Omar hating Israel?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'll ask again. Could you send over some articles where they said they wanted Israel "off the map" please? Or clarify what constitutes "anti America" in your eyes, especially, ya know, sitting politicians in the Lower House.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Being anti Netanyahu's far right regime doesn't make you anti semite. One of Omar's biggest supporters and friends is Bernie Sanders who happens to be Jewish.

Even the extremely conservative AIPAC thinks Netanyahu is wrong not allowing elected US officials into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

It's shows how utterly spineless and weak Netanyahu really is: such a huge reversal in less than a month on foot of a single tweet from a renowned flip-flopper and liar.

I know he is facing an election, but he must be under extreme stress.

Hopefully it might increase the scale and visibility of the BDS campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's shows how utterly spineless and weak Netanyahu really is: such a huge reversal in less than a month on foot of a single tweet from a renowned flip-flopper and liar.

I know he is facing an election, but he must be under extreme stress.

Hopefully it might increase the scale and visibility of the BDS campaign.

not just facing an election, but also an investigation

"After years of investigations, Israeli Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit has announced his decision to consider indicting Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with multiple counts of graft. As expected, Netanyahu reacted with fire and fury, calling the investigations a witch hunt"

Witch hunt eh? Now, where have I heard that before? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Does the headline "Trump wants to buy Greenland" even make the top 10 most ludicrous stories in the last week from this administration?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Does the headline "Trump wants to buy Greenland" even make the top 10 most ludicrous stories in the last week from this administration?

More smoke and mirrors, maybe to distract from the poor Fox poll, don't give it oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As everything Trump touches dies, imagine when he abandons Bibi. Probably as soon as Netanyahu's case gets further in the courts, that'll be the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I can’t see how Trump counts on and courts the ‘very fine people’ in his country who hate Jews and still seems to be buddies with Israel’s leader.
    How do you reconcile that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement