Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh it has been scaled down absolutely because it was being politicised; all the rhetoric has been wrong and disproportionately about Trump wanting his "Salute to America". As I said IMO, there's an extra element at play that military parades conjure up way too many images in the collective psyche of Americans. Speculation on my part completely but I can get how it'd make a lot of people very uncomfortable,

Of course it is -

The whole area around the reflecting pool and Lincoln memorial is fenced off . This is the area most popular with people in previous years for the regular 4th celebrations, it's an area that can usually hold thousands of people.

For today though it's reserved exclusively for Members and VIP supporters of the GOP/Trump.

No Democrats or anyone else have been given tickets..!

And while I'm sure someone has written Trump a speech that tries not to be nakedly partisan , I would bet my house on him going off script and taking a few shots at Democrats , the deep state or the "Fake" media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Of course it is -

The whole area around the reflecting pool and Lincoln memorial is fenced off . This is the area most popular with people in previous years for the regular 4th celebrations, it's an area that can usually hold thousands of people.

For today though it's reserved exclusively for Members and VIP supporters of the GOP/Trump.

No Democrats or anyone else have been given tickets..!

And while I'm sure someone has written Trump a speech that tries not to be nakedly partisan , I would bet my house on him going off script and taking a few shots at Democrats , the deep state or the "Fake" media.

Can you imagine if Obama had the audacity to do this?
    The outrage from the right?
    So very wrong.
    Thankfully most tv stations are not showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thankfully most tv stations are not showing it.
    Presumably that doesn't include Fox who I expect to give it wall-to-wall coverage.

Plenty of red military meat to the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's on a bit of a roll on twitter lately , there's this peach.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146430380981067777

Glad he could help?? - Is he suggesting he influenced the courts decision?

Every time I read his tweets or hear him speak , a voice in my head just keeps repeating "Oh my God , this is the President of the USA?!?!"

Perhap he did help.

We may never actually know. This is the new order in courts stuffed with appointments. Democracy is on life support in the US. And there are many cheerleading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

listermint wrote: »
    Perhap he did help.

We may never actually know. This is the new order in courts stuffed with appointments. Democracy is on life support in the US. And there are many cheerleading it.

Speaking of Courts drama, Ross pushed for the question of whether or not the person filling the Census form in was a citizen. The case was heard in the Supreme Court and it was held they could not ask that question based on the submissions made by the DOJ.

The DOJ emailed out that they would be excluding the question.

Trump then called the news that the question was being dropped "fake news" *vomits in mouth*

So, the Judge dealing with the original case hauls in the Government lawyers and this is some of what was said. Incredible stuff.

https://twitter.com/jentaub/status/1146539573809483777?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Some great footage of inside the Trump/Kim meeting. Worth a watch regardless of your stance on the meeting. Shows some of the propaganda employed by the North Koreans.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Well he can finally check off the military parade box on his list now, it was the last one he needed!

index.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's up and tweeting..

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146766931573301248

Great way to start the 4th of July.

Calling one of the founding members of the Freedom Caucus "one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress" whilst the GOP just watch and say nothing.

He read the report , didn't like what he saw , spoke up and got pummeled by Trump and the rest of the GOP for daring to have a contrarian view. So now he has resigned from the Party.

Whilst I would have absolutely nothing in common with Amash and his politics in general I have to admire the guy for taking a stand on principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump thinks this July 4th is a celebration of him and he wants what the other boys get, tanks, fly overs and the like. His gun toting red neck base will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It's basically the antics of an 8 year old boy trapped inside a 73 year old body, being controlled and "guided" by a failing 90 year old brain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Fraud who never served a day in his life and dodged the draft by having daddy bribe a doctor, demands military parade in his honour.

This July 4th would be a good day for a military coup.
    It must anger the military at all levels to serve under such a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump thinks this July 4th is a celebration of him and he wants what the other boys get, tanks, fly overs and the like. His gun toting red neck base will love it.

Just seen that the weather doesn't seem to want to play ball with Trump and his parade. Bad storms forecast that may prevent flyovers due to lightening risk.

Just seen that the weather doesn't seem to want to play ball with Trump and his parade. Bad storms forecast that may prevent flyovers due to lightening risk.

Forecast hasn't been great for a while - Thunderstorms promised as well.

Between the weather and the fact that all of this was really only planned in the last few weeks would seem to indicate a fairly low turn-out.

Even Jared and Ivanka are going to the Hamptons instead..

Also read an article saying that a significant number of the people getting invites to the VIP area have declined as they already had other commitments.

The Army has also cut back on the attendees - Originally supposed to be 1000 troops but now down to about 300 as most troops (not surprisingly) are on holidays and those that aren't are needed for actual duties.

Apparently earlier this week they started giving out 10 tickets each to staffer etc. to try and fill the VIP section.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Apparently earlier this week they started giving out 10 tickets each to staffer etc. to try and fill the VIP section.

Not to worry, the attendance will be the bigliest ever, and don't worry what your eyes tell you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Wonder if he'll skip this due to the rain like he did the wreath laying at the cemetery in France

Somehow I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Most Americans are flag waving army mad people. The Democrats are just as in love with war as the Republicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Most Americans are flag waving army mad people. The Democrats are just as in love with war as the Republicans.

I've obviously voted for neither, passing comment on Trumps homage to the red square.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not to worry, the attendance will be the bigliest ever, and don't worry what your eyes tell you!!

Odds on Trump claiming exactly that are fairly good I'd say.
    Expect "Fake News!" tweets when anything else is claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

peddlelies wrote: »
    Some great footage of inside the Trump/Kim meeting. Worth a watch regardless of your stance on the meeting. Shows some of the propaganda employed by the North Koreans.

I think it is a pretty good example of the propaganda employed by the US as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Not sure if that is true. Carters biggest failing for many voters was his unwillingness to act on matters such as Russia's invasion in Afghanistan and the Iran hostage crisis. Kennedy stopped WW3, Clinton was quiet enough militarily even when the greatest humanitarian crisis was happening in mainland Europe since WW2 while Obama massively reduced the US numbers in Middle East.

One thing for certain Republicans at least last 50 years celebritize the military more than Democrats do. Pretty much every new Republican president promises to build the military back to former glory and blame the Dem president for gutting it.

• Advertisement

Nothing to see here. Just one of Trump's main surrogates having a go at the military for not rowing in behind Trump's parade..

https://twitter.com/LouDobbs/status/1146760530033614850?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

CNN's showing a parade. Seems like the weather's holding up so far, it's about 1:10p.m. DC time.

Pretty lame looking parade but only watched it for a few minutes. Did get to see the "International Society for Krishna Consciousness" float...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Not sure if that is true.

Here's an interesting poll on this topic. Shows ya how people will easily flip their beliefs in favour of party I suppose.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000168-2f50-db11-ab7d-3ff974f40000

https://www.axios.com/democrats-military-support-foreign-wars-trump-c1ef165d-cec2-49a4-8585-a19958fe3de1.html

Driving the news: Remarkable new polling data on Syria shows "that the vast bulk of support for keeping troops there comes from Democratic Party voters, while Republicans and independents overwhelming favor their removal," Glenn Greenwald writes on The Intercept.

"The numbers are stark: Of people who voted for Clinton in 2016, only 26 percent support withdrawing troops from Syria, while 59 percent oppose it. Trump voters overwhelmingly support withdraw by 76 percent to 14 percent."

"Throughout the Obama years, polling data consistently showed that huge majorities of Democrats favored a withdrawal of all troops from Afghanistan."
    "With Trump rather than Obama now advocating troop withdrawal," that's changed:

"The new polling data shows far more support for troop withdrawal among Republicans and independents, while Democrats are now split or even opposed."

"Among 2016 Trump voters, there is massive support for withdrawal: 81 percent to 11 percent; Clinton voters, however, oppose the removal of troops from Afghanistan by a margin of 37 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trump's campaign hiring foreign models to pose as Americans.

Just can't make this stuff up.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-facebook-ad-stock-models_n_5d1d7f12e4b0f312567eb8ae

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I've obviously voted for neither, passing comment on Trumps homage to the red square.

But calling only those that support that type of stuff as red necks is incorrect.

All Americans love their military and wars and dropping bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quite a few thunderstorms bubbling up in the vicinity, going to be lucky not to be disprupted by the time of Trump's speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭eire4

Sadly that is very true. Democratic administrations have been quiet happy to spread the American military might around the world, stay in bed with a disgusting regime like Saudi Arabia and threaten and bully various countries into doing what they want. The US has installed many puppet governments especially in South and Central America and they have all been self serving right wing regimes that lined the pocket of an elite within that country at the general populations expense and both Republican and Democratic administrations have and are guilty in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

everlast75 wrote: »

http://app.ddot.dc.gov

Traffic cams around DC (Constitution Ave @ 23rd St it the closest one to the Lincoln Memorial). No signs of any bigly crowds anywhere.

Weather looks miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,823 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah that second link you posted shows that it's not a blue skies day in Washington DC. What time is it meant to start Irish time ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement