Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In further economic turmoil caused by Trump, looks like the latest round of tariff's has gone into effect: https://apnews.com/60f934ba84e444079b84772e4b24bca4

For those that do these things, you have the advantage of shorting the market now, before Tuesday when it reopens; Monday's Labor Day, market's closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Igotadose wrote: »
    Looks like Trump's looking into reducing capital gains tax. This has the fingerprints of clueless Larry Kudlow all over it, listening to the GOP parasite-muse Grover Nordquist. The idea is, adjust capital gains by inflation. Just a giveaway to those who capital gains tax is a big part of their income, i.e., the very wealthy. Zero impact on 401k holders, you can trade your 401k holdings all day long and not pay capital gains tax on them while they're in the 401k. When you withdraw, you pay income tax on the amount you withdraw.

And doing this via executive decree is glaringly banana-republic. Plus the amount being bandied about, about the cost, to me seems frighteningly low. More bigger deficits. IOKIYAR.

https://slate.com/business/2019/08/indexing-capital-gains-taxes-donald-trump-economy.html

From the point of view of simple fairness, a person should not have to pay tax on a price rise in an asset that is due to inflation alone. Many Capital Gains Tax systems (including Ireland's) used to allow indexation to deal with inflation-only price rises. This was particularly relevant in the 1980's when inflation was up in the double-digits.

However, the attempt by Trump is clearly a wealthy-only tax cut as you and the Slate article rightly say. Just another sop to his rich friends. Most 'ordinary' people who have Capital Gains earn them within 401ks, for which the proposal would have no effect.

In further economic turmoil caused by Trump, looks like the latest round of tariff's has gone into effect: https://apnews.com/60f934ba84e444079b84772e4b24bca4

For those that do these things, you have the advantage of shorting the market now, before Tuesday when it reopens; Monday's Labor Day, market's closed.

I would have thought that the latest round of tariffs would have been priced into the market. I'd be very careful about shorting this market on a Labor Day weekend, when Trump could come out with any ould codology proposal during the extra day. Much will depend on the effects of Hurricane Dorian on Florida as to how he acts.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I would have thought that the latest round of tariffs would have been priced into the market. I'd be very careful about shorting this market on a Labor Day weekend, when Trump could come out with any ould codology proposal during the extra day. Much will depend on the effects of Hurricane Dorian on Florida as to how he acts.

TBF my advice was totally tongue-in-cheek. Never take advice from some random joker on a message board. IMO, it's a good time to short - 1: Trump. 2: Hurricane.

I do like the codology idea though, heh good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

He’s been addicted to aderol which is speed basically, since the 80s.
    You only have to look at some of his more deranged tweets for evidence of that.

Someone else wrote the same thing months back, I think it stemmed from Tom Arnold because at the time I couldn't find any reputable news site alleging it.

The drug you're referring to is called "adderall", not aderol and it would give the opposite effect as to what you're describing, it enhances cognitive ability. It's commonly used among poker players etc.

• Advertisement

peddlelies wrote: »
    Someone else wrote the same thing months back, I think it stemmed from Tom Arnold because at the time I couldn't find any reputable news site alleging it.

The drug you're referring to is called "adderall", not aderol and it would give the opposite effect as to what you're describing, it enhances cognitive ability. It's commonly used among poker players etc.

A former Apprentice crew-member, since turned stand up comic came out with this allegation as part of a stand-up routine. He refused to discuss it off-stage. It seems that if he discussed it off-stage he would be breaching the NDA he had with the Apprentice folks. However, putting it into his show apparently shielded him from legal threat (something about 1st Amendment..yada..yada)

Tom Arnold came out afterwards and backed up the comedian. I'm not clear on how Arnold would know, but there you are. On balance, however I see Arnold as a shock-jock, so I don't attach much credibility to what he says.. Marriage to Roseanne Barr would fry anyone's brain, I'm sure.

What would be surprising to me is that IF Trump was hoovering the Adderall, surely it would be a dirty little secret that would have been known by many others. And it doesn't appear to figure in any other reporting over the years, although speculation that he is 'on something' pops up every now and again, generally as an attempt to explain some of his more unhinged performances like at CPAC etc.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    What would be surprising to me is that IF Trump was hoovering the Adderall, surely it would be a dirty little secret that would have been known by many others. And it doesn't appear to figure in any other reporting over the years, although speculation that he is 'on something' pops up every now and again, generally as an attempt to explain some of his more unhinged performances like at CPAC etc.

Hey, but there's this rumor, and all the weird sniffling he does and his manic behavior... Wooo! I can do CT! Trump snorts stimulants! Washes them down with diet Cokes and Big Macs!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Hey, but there's this rumor, and all the weird sniffling he does and his manic behavior... Wooo! I can do CT! Trump snorts stimulants! Washes them down with diet Cokes and Big Macs!

Eh, be does do a lot of sniffing, and does display manic and erratic behaviour (hugging the flag?!).

He also has strangely dilated pupils regularly..

https://medium.com/@DrGJackBrown/body-language-and-medical-analysis-4221-why-are-donald-trumps-pupils-intermittently-so-large-f4d883c8126a

Call it a CT, but we know he wrote his own medical report, memorably, and tried to make his personal physician, who happens to be profligate with the old prescribing pad, head of the VA..

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Great to see Michael Pence preparing to make his first visit today to Shannon, or the President's Airport as it has become known locally.

I see once again the usual gurriers and wasters are out protesting up in dublin, this time by doing a disco. Theyd be better off getting jobs and showing some respect to the office of the VP.

Back at home base,- encouraging to see president trump staying back to manage the hurricane disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

encouraging to see president trump staying back to manage the hurricane disaster.

Erm, he went golfing???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Back at home base,- encouraging to see president trump staying back to manage the hurricane disaster.

Yeah, manage it by golfing, ragetweeting about Debra Messing, and then saying Alabama will be hit by the hurricane much harder than anticipated, even though it's not going to be hit by the hurricane at all.

https://twitter.com/NWSBirmingham/status/1168179647667814400

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not only did he go golfing, but gave out incorrect information that the National Weather Service had to release reassurance that the hurricaine wouldn't hit Alabama. Donald Trump's responses to national disasters have been continuously below par; I know this is a hobby horse of mine but he revealed himself fully over the events of Hurricane Maria in Porto Rico (picking fights with the mayor, claiming the deaths were a Democrat conspiracy, and tossing paper towels at victims like it was a game).

Best thing he can do is stay out of the way of the emergency services, but in giving out wrong information, he's endangering lives and confusing populations.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1168174613827899393

https://twitter.com/NWSBirmingham/status/1168179647667814400

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean he has to be interested. He has never heard of a cat 5 before. Not sure what he was doing for the other cat 5s that have hit the US though!

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/09/01/politics/donald-trump-category-5-hurricane-dorian/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean he has to be interested. He has never heard of a cat 5 before. Not sure what he was doing for the other cat 5s that have hit the US though!

He said the same thing last time, that he never heard of a cat 5.

I think his memory is shot, he's just winging it with no real idea what's going on bar the last 10 minutes of Fox.

He's Chauncey Gardiner from "Being There".

Other have suggested less charitably that as a raging narcissist, he pays no attention to stuff like Hurricanes that aren't all about him, and forgets such unimportant stuff directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Great to see Michael Pence preparing to make his first visit today to Shannon, or the President's Airport as it has become known locally.

I see once again the usual gurriers and wasters are out protesting up in dublin, this time by doing a disco. Theyd be better off getting jobs and showing some respect to the office of the VP.

The VP who actively supports conversion therapy, respect works both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

as a raging narcissist, he pays no attention to stuff ... that [isn't] all about him, and forgets such unimportant stuff directly.
    Don't forget his stock answer:

"We'll see what happens .... and we'll see what happens ... so, we'll see what happens".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Encouraging is certainly not the word that comes to mind anytime I think of Donald Trump "handling" or "managing" a situation that is in any way serious.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The people of Alabama will be forever thankful. Trump prayed to the Lord and they were spared. Only for Trump's intervention, they would have been hit.

His twitter ****ter is working overtime again this morning... More unhinged ridiculosity spewing out of him.. Could someone please hide the nuclear codes in case he does order to nuke the Hurricane... In which case, it will certainly hit Alabama....

And California.... And Hawaii... And.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He said the same thing last time, that he never heard of a cat 5.

I think his memory is shot, he's just winging it with no real idea what's going on bar the last 10 minutes of Fox.

He's Chauncey Gardiner from "Being There".

Other have suggested less charitably that as a raging narcissist, he pays no attention to stuff like Hurricanes that aren't all about him, and forgets such unimportant stuff directly.

There were 3 other category 5 hurricanes..... while he was president!

Either
    1) he is a chronic liar, which is a problem
    2) he can't remember that there were hurricanes of that magnitude, which means his memory is ****ed, also a problem
    3) he isn't bothered remembering, which means he doesn't care about the American people in its path, which is a problem.

Which is it, Trump supporters?

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1168262772339236866?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s donald. It has to be the biggliest ever hurricane.is he willfully spreading this misinformation or is he genuinely just clueless about it? We know he doesn’t take briefings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

everlast75 wrote: »
    There were 3 other category 5 hurricanes..... while he was president!

Either
    1) he is a chronic liar, which is a problem
    2) he can't remember that there were hurricanes of that magnitude, which means his memory is ****ed, also a problem
    3) he isn't bothered remembering, which means he doesn't care about the American people in its path, which is a problem.

Which is it, Trump supporters?

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1168262772339236866?s=19

He also has to keep acting surprised when extreme weather hits since he's such a massive climate change denier

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He also has to keep acting surprised when extreme weather hits since he's such a massive climate change denier

Didn't he redirect finds from FEMA to pay for the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

everlast75 wrote: »
    Didn't he redirect finds from FEMA to pay for the wall?

Yup. A lot of people are going to get very seriously hurt, with very little coming from their government to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dytalus wrote: »
    Yup. A lot of people are going to get very seriously hurt, with very little coming from their government to help them.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

@1.07

They have planets of funds. The 120 odd million diverted isn’t going to affect anyone who might need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭listermint

President Trump appointment says they have plenty of cash.

Wow.

listermint wrote: »
    President Trump appointment says they have plenty of cash.

Wow.

Ehh, I think they have plenty of cash. FEMA's issue hasn't been money so much as incompetence, not getting the resources to the places needed. New Orleans/Katrina was the best example, but I've noticed they've done better, Harvey was an amazingly strong storm yet the support services were there pronto, despite 50 inches of rain having fallen.

I don't believe a lack of funds will make a difference. And, Florida/Georgia/Carolinas have a lot of experience dealing with the impact of hurricanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ehh, I think they have plenty of cash. FEMA's issue hasn't been money so much as incompetence, not getting the resources to the places needed. New Orleans/Katrina was the best example, but I've noticed they've done better, Harvey was an amazingly strong storm yet the support services were there pronto, despite 50 inches of rain having fallen.

I don't believe a lack of funds will make a difference. And, Florida/Georgia/Carolinas have a lot of experience dealing with the impact of hurricanes.

The issue is; if they have plenty of cash, why take it from FEMA in the first place? If FEMA require an input of cash due to Hurricane Dorian, where does that then come from?

Aside from that, Trump is of course doubling down and saying he was right to warn about Alabama because he says that in a few of the options for where the hurricane could go, Alabama was one of them. As always, no proof of this being true whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Turns out he was golfing on Monday as well (Labour Day in the US, so a day off for many), so ... well, look let's be somewhat fair; we've seen from previous natural disasters that Trump is neither empathic enough to be a beacon of authoritative comfort, nor organised enough to get the right legislative cogs moving. So maybe wasting away his time on the golf course is the best move? Or rather, it would be if he could resist the urge to be the centre of attention at all times at stay off Twitter.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1168560672168452098

You know what I won't miss in the sphere of politics when Trump leaves office though? Bloody press quotes with damned aircraft engine noise in the background. Remember when presidents conducted press conferences indoors, in a room, as opposed to this whole "I'm too busy for meetings, gotta go!" charade Trump pulls?

Maybe he feels it masks the utter inane drivel he spouts: congratulations Poland on being 80 years Nazi free? :confused:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1168391562184859648

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement