Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

antix80 wrote: »
    They like him in Alabama. They'll probably credit him with not getting hit.

And.. Plot twist.. But CNN who spent all day moaning about Trump's mistake made a howler of their own.

https://www.newsweek.com/cnn-mistake-alabama-label-mississippi-hurricane-dorian-path-donald-trump-brian-stelter-1457438

Oh, I wasn't aware that only people who have never, and will never, make a mistake are allowed to comment on others.

But it is good to know, so Trump can keep quiet about everyone else from now on under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

pixelburp wrote: »
    .Edit, just to repost the news story, because IMO it's important to maintain the content of Trumps actions, lest the sarky think it's all about chortling over his foolishness

Buzzfeed isn't a news source and that particular article is being particularly misleading.

Title vii stops discrimination on grounds of sex but not include sexual orientation or gender-dysphoria/identification. I believe the obama admin pushed through the protections to apply to LGBTQ, a move not universally supported and one the could inadvertently strip other citizens of their rights. (Think of that lunatic in canada using canadas laws to insist women wax her testicles because she identifies as female) . Interpretation of the law is something that needs to be decided by the courts. There's nothing stopping legislators from passing new laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

To the previous poster, was Trump 'joking' when he congratulated Poland on the 80th anniversary of being annexed by Nazi Germany?

Q: Mr. President, do you have a message for Poland on the 80th anniversary of the Second World War?

TRUMP: I do have a great message for Poland. And we have Mike Pence, our Vice President, is just about landing right now. And he is representing me. I look forward to being there soon.

But I just want to congratulate Poland. It’s a great country with great people. We also have many Polish people in our country; it could be 8 million. We love our Polish friends. And I will be there soon
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/03/trump-congratulates-poland-its-nazi-invasion/#click=https://t.co/0B08cXOtsr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Buzzfeed isn't a news source and that particular article is being particularly misleading.

Title vii stops discrimination on grounds of sex but not include sexual orientation or gender-dysphoria/identification. I believe the obama admin pushed through the protections to apply to LGBTQ, a move not universally supported and one the could inadvertently strip other citizens of their rights. (Think of that lunatic in canada using canadas laws to insist women wax her testicles because she identifies as female) . Interpretation of the law is something that needs to be decided by the courts. There's nothing stopping legislators from passing new laws.

Your snipping about the source is irrelevant - did you read the article? It's an amicus brief, it's already filed; heck it's right here if you wish to read it in all its legalise glory:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/17/17-1618/113417/20190823143040818_17-1618bsacUnitedStates.pdf
    Whether the prohibition in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, 42 U.S.C. 2000e-2(a)(1), against employment discrimination “because of * * * sex” prohibits employment discrimination because of sexual orientation.

And was reported in other outlets if BuzzFeed is not up to snuff in your estimations...

https://time.com/5660956/trump-administration-anti-gay-brief-title-vii/

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/lgbtq-workers-not-covered-civil-rights-act-gop-officials-say-n1047021

The administration have already submitted a similar brief earlier, arguing that Title VII does not protect transgender people from discrimination.

You plead edge-cases, which TBH is baby & bathwater stuff. What you suggest might be fair, if there was any indication that the extended interpretation of Title VII would be covered by some other ruling, something that DID cater for discrimination against orientation, and yet ... ... where is it? If you know, then please link it.

There's no indication from the opinions or actions of this admin that LGBTQ rights are particularly high on their agenda; between Pence's own beliefs, or the public attacks against transgenders in the military - a minority of a minority so financially irrelevant it could only have been interpreted as red meat to the evangelical or conservative base.

This attempt to lock down Title VII is a transparent attempt to erode rights by dint of legal formality or pedantry. Given Title VII is often used in cases taken against accused discriminators, it's an obvious ploy to quietly soften rights, and blatant "dog whistle" to the aforementioned base, while giving the out that they're only doing some legal housekeeping. Which, again, if true, there would be noise made about a replacement or equivalent ready to go ... and yet, and yet ...

You snarked about concentration camps, but you don't need to do that; the American Conservative only needs to push gay folk back into the closet & make them fair game for pushing around, while placating those in flyer states who are angsty about uppity queer liberals.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given Title VII is often used in cases taken against accused discriminators

The "basis of sex" in title vii is to protect women from discrimination. The Employment rights commission and AG extended the rights to gay/trans rights, so you're right - Title VII is used in cases against discrimination on this basis. It's up to the supreme court to decide if this is the right interpretation of the law and that innocent people aren't wrongly prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Maybe it's just a personal irk, but jeez how hard can it be to stop using exclamation points in serious tweets. It makes any statement or point look insincere and belittles them. Really gets on my nerves for some reason, how can or his staffers not see it?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1169002093476290563

peddlelies wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a personal irk, but jeez how hard can it be to stop using exclamation points in serious tweets. It makes any statement or point look insincere and belittles them. Really gets on my nerves for some reason, how can or his staffers not see it?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1169002093476290563

His use of CAPS and (brackets) irk me too

peddlelies wrote: »

Have a look and try not to cry!
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

That is unbelievable, like a bad school essay. Who let him at the crayons?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That is unbelievable, like a bad school essay. Who let him at the crayons?

I think Jared wrote it. Kushners given poor speeches in his role as Special advisor to the ME, where among other phrases he urged the attendees to stop "doing terrorism."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You're contributing to the echo chamber of nonsense.

Trump made an innocent mistake thinking Alabama was still at risk.. Maybe he didn't notice Alabama was omitted in his last briefing . A bunch of weathermen pointed out he was wrong and of course the media seized on it, using it to question Trump's mental state and cognitive abilities.

Trump as always refuses to admit he's wrong so rather than admit his data was out of date he went after one reporter (prob the most vocal) for "demeaning and belittling" him. He rightly pointing out in the original scenario he's referring to that alabama may be hit- just as at one stage it was feared puerto rico would receive the worst of it.. Projections change.

I admit I'm a fan of Trump and i feel sorry for people who have meltdowns even when Trump says something innocuous because it reflects very badly on them.

Echo Chamber? How is reposting a news article about stated facts an echo chamber? If it was a biased opinion piece then it would be a contribution to a 'rabble rousing' but I fail to understand why stated facts would contribute to an 'echo chamber'

duploelabs wrote: »
    Echo Chamber? How is reposting a news article about stated facts an echo chamber? If it was a biased opinion piece then it would be a contribution to a 'rabble rousing' but I fail to understand why stated facts would contribute to an 'echo chamber'

I was referring to what you wrote rather than the article you linked to.

So was it...
    a/ a slip of the tongue and Trump's ego forbid him to correct his error?
    or
    b/ He does actually know more than his experts in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Christy42

If it was one mistake I could see the argument. When most of his sentences seem to include a slip of the tongue it becomes a trend. The man seems to need translators to get his message across in his first language. It is rather worrying that he has so much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Trump is clearly showing significant mental decline.
    That's not even debatable anymore, there are so many examples.
    It's a pity all the Republicans are so craven, if they had any patriotism they would have removed him from office as he is a major national security threat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

vetinari wrote: »
    Trump is clearly showing significant mental decline.
    That's not even debatable anymore, there are so many examples.
    It's a pity all the Republicans are so craven, if they had any patriotism they would have removed him from office as he is a major national security threat.

At some stage they'll wheel him out dribbling in a wheelchair and his supporters will piss themselves in excitement when they see him.
    It's the cult of personality, the achievements and what he says is irrelevant.
    So discussing anything that requires more thought than that with his followers is pointless, because they don't have the mental capacity to think that far.
    They are flat earthers and anti vaxxers, they have a set agenda and they don't care to think beyond that.
    You can write these people off as mental garbage.

At some stage they'll wheel him out dribbling in a wheelchair and his supporters will piss themselves in excitement when they see him.
    It's the cult of personality, the achievements and what he says is irrelevant.
    So discussing anything that requires more thought than that with his followers is pointless, because they don't have the mental capacity to think that far.
    They are flat earthers and anti vaxxers, they have a set agenda and they don't care to think beyond that.
    You can write these people off as mental garbage.

On that note, People with lower emotional intelligence are more likely to hold right-wing views
    https://www.psypost.org/2019/09/people-with-lower-emotional-intelligence-are-more-likely-to-hold-right-wing-views-study-finds-54369

On that note, People with lower emotional intelligence are more likely to hold right-wing views
    https://www.psypost.org/2019/09/people-with-lower-emotional-intelligence-are-more-likely-to-hold-right-wing-views-study-finds-54369

Funny you should say that..
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-more-beneficial-in-life-a-high-EQ-or-IQ

So we can put that one to bed.
    The journal the study was posted in is called "emotion" and the site you linked to showed me an ad promising to find out my Guardian Angel's name. But i already know it. It's Jordan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Now that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Funny you should say that..
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-more-beneficial-in-life-a-high-EQ-or-IQ

So we can put that one to bed.
    The journal the study was posted in is called "emotion" and the site you linked to showed me an ad promising to find out my Guardian Angel's name. But i already know it. It's Jordan.

Confirmation bias much? Anyway, are you going to address what I asked earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Who needs The Onion anymore? Trump doubling down on the whole Alabama huricane idiocy. So today they actually produce a map to explain the Alabama huricane path from last week and they even still had to doctor it.
    trump-alabama-1200x675.jpg

REPORTER: That map you showed us today, it looked like it almost had like a Sharpie on it.

TRUMP: I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1169331817897443328

FatherTed wrote: »
    Who needs The Onion anymore? Trump doubling down on the whole Alabama huricane idiocy. So today they actually produce a map to explain the Alabama huricane path from last week and they even still had to doctor it.
    trump-alabama-1200x675.jpg
    REPORTER: That map you showed us today, it looked like it almost had like a Sharpie on it.

TRUMP: I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1169331817897443328
    He's going beyond parody lately. How do people still row in behind him. It amazes me.

So was it...
    a/ a slip of the tongue and Trump's ego forbid him to correct his error?
    or
    b/ He does actually know more than his experts in the field?

Neither.

It wasn't a slip of the tongue. I think he was mistaken, which he put down to info he had being out-of-date.

I don't think his ego is the reason he didnt correct himself. I think he makes a conscious decision not to apologise or admit to mistakes. Whether it's what his supporters want, or it's good for his brand, or because he doesn't want his enemies to appear more intelligent, or give news channels a sound bite.. it doesn't really matter.

Here's an example..
    http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-if-hell-find-an-excuse-if-hes-wrong-about-kim-jong-un-2018-6
    "I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, 'Hey I was wrong,'" Trump said at a press conference after his historic meeting with Kim.

"I don't know that I'll ever admit that, but I'll find some kind of an excuse," Trump added.

Now i don't know if he clarified those remarks, or they were meant as a joke, or if he denied making them.

But now you know this is how he speaks and how he acts, maybe you'll learn to accept it's just his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Christy42

Neither.

It wasn't a slip of the tongue. I think he was mistaken, which he put down to info he had being out-of-date.

I don't think his ego is the reason he didnt correct himself. I think he makes a conscious decision not to apologise or admit to mistakes. Whether it's what his supporters want, or it's good for his brand, or because he doesn't want his enemies to appear more intelligent, or give news channels a sound bite.. it doesn't really matter.

Here's an example..
    http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-if-hell-find-an-excuse-if-hes-wrong-about-kim-jong-un-2018-6

Now i don't know if he clarified those remarks, or they were meant as a joke, or if he denied making them.

But now you know this is how he speaks and how he acts, maybe you'll learn to accept it's just his way.

Nope. You just don't accept your leaders lying to you about every little detail "as their way".

I can accept a slip of the tongue. Had he said it was that then it would die down. He is doubling down and lying to the people over minor details and errors. What else will he lie about? This is Trump's choice to double down on this. Plus this is hardly the first time. He also forgot about multiple cat 5 storms hitting the US in the last few years. It is a valid question if he is all there.

Not being able to admit mistakes shows no character.

Politicians lie. Trump has a delightful mix of hyperbole, joking, trolling, and well.. lying, too.

If he were a career politician he'd still be lying, he'd just do it differently. He'd make promises that couldn't be kept. He'd say he misspoke. He'd say he misremembered. He'd say he was mistaken. His lies would centre around plausible deniability.

Remember Bertie won all that sterling backing horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Neither.

If some-one passes him wrong information which he relies on to make a statement [like including Alabama on a list of places in the US the hurricane was to hit] HE was not mistaken so there'd be no need for anyone to think Don was mistaken and no need for Don to make any conscious decisions not to apologise or admit to mistakes.

Its a matter of regret that it doesn't really matter if the president regularly makes public statements based on OUT OF DATE information if that seems to be acceptable to his fanbase. Its unfortunate for him that the info he works from is regularly updated by his admin depts and handed to him for his info and attention so he gets to know what he's talking about.

Politicians lie. Trump has a delightful mix of hyperbole, joking, trolling, and well.. lying, too.

If he were a career politician he'd still be lying, he'd just do it differently. He'd make promises that couldn't be kept. He'd say he misspoke. He'd say he misremembered. He'd say he was mistaken. His lies would centre around plausible deniability.

Remember Bertie won all that sterling backing horses?
    Nothing delightful about it. It's appalling carry on from the potus. Well over 10,000 lies. While I accept politicians lie, that is absolutely ludicrous by any measure. It Trump held a press conference tomorrow and said the sky is blue, I would have to look out the window and double check.
    He's that untrustworthy. You cannot believe a word he says. Why do you or any other trump fans support this behaviour? I am genuinely interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,823 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That doctoring of the NHC map of the hurricane will be an SNL sketch next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,823 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That doctoring of the NHC map of the hurricane will be an SNL sketch next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement