Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just a small selection from posts yet again declaring Trump as being mentally ill.

Well, how about now. You all still so sure?

Amazing. In the face of absolute blinding evidence, and even confirmation from the US Weather service that he was wrong, you believe a tweet with no connection to the weather service just to affirm that Trump isn't a massive liar and egomaniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Amazing. In the face of absolute blinding evidence, and even confirmation from the US Weather service that he was wrong, you believe a tweet with no connection to the weather service just to affirm that Trump isn't a massive liar and egomaniac.
    I'm not sure why you find it amazing, Trump supporters always feel the need to prove their loyalty no matter what facts are staring them in the face. There has been quite a bit of attention paid to it and it appears to be mainly to do with the fact that those who decide to no longer walk in lock-step with whatever he says or does tend to quite immediately get rounded on by the rest, and if they don't back down on it wind up getting cut off by the herd. This is why so many centre-right or right-leaning types have been widely labelled by the same types as 'leftists' and the likes.

Take for example, the Republican's decision to cancel the primaries in a number of states, it doesn't tie in well at all with Pete's opinion on the 2016 DNC primaries but I'm sure he'll find a way to come around to it now that it benefits Trump:
    Yeah, cause the left haven't looked the other way on the actions of the DNC and Hillary Clinton in the lead up the to the 2016 election. Come on would ya. If the left didn't have double standards they'd have no standards at all.

Trump has also made sure to stuff as many areas of government as possible with these types. And yes this is also the case with the NOAA - it turns out their director also, by sheer coincidence I am sure, worked on both the 2016 Trump campaign and the Trump Inaugural Committee.

https://projects.propublica.org/trump-town/staffers/julie-roberts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Air Force crew made an odd stop on a routine trip: Trump’s Scottish resort
    Now the layover is part of a broader House inquiry into military spending at and around the Trump property.
    Taken together, the incidents raise the possibility that the military has helped keep Trump’s Turnberry resort afloat — the property lost $4.5 million in 2017, but revenue went up $3 million in 2018.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/06/air-force-trump-scottish-retreat-1484337

Is every single thing about this admin just crooked in some way? Is there a single thing they do right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Here's what Trump should have done. After originally making the mistake and being informed about it, he could have tweeted out something like this...

"Update: In lieu of my statement earlier, the latest forecast predicts Alabama not to be affected by Hurricane Dorian".

Crisis and scandal averted and he saves a bit of face.. that would have been far too easy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

peddlelies wrote: »
    Here's what Trump should have done. After originally making the mistake and being informed about it, he could have tweeted out something like this...

"Update: In lieu of my statement earlier, the latest forecast predicts Alabama not to be affected by Hurricane Dorian".

Crisis and scandal averted and he saves a bit of face.. that would have been far too easy though.

Of course, but that would've meant him admitting that he was wrong or mistaken on something, which would never come into his thinking.

It goes back to the "alternative facts" thing. He honestly seems to believe that as long as it comes from his Twitter account, it's the truth. Whether it's actually factual or not makes no difference whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Of course, but that would've meant him admitting that he was wrong or mistaken on something, which would never come into his thinking.

It goes back to the "alternative facts" thing. He honestly seems to believe that as long as it comes from his Twitter account, it's the truth. Whether it's actually factual or not makes no difference whatsoever.
    Wasn't it Truth isn't truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

duploelabs wrote: »

I remember Spicer saying repeatedly when questioned: "The president has held that belief for some time" in response to people asking him about dumb things Trump had said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Wohl said that the veracity of the information he spreads is not important, and that "All that matters is how far those claims travel, and how many people believe them." He further said that truth is an obsolete concept, stating that "It’s something that can’t be thought about in a linear, binary true-false, facts-non-facts – you can’t do that anymore [...] It’s just not the way it works."[20]

Jacob Wohl.
    It's irrelevant what you say, only the result matters. The honest person loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

That was GiulianI.
    Last seen threatening US aid to Ukraine if they don't smear Joe Biden, apparently.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/09/trump-to-ukraine-no-aid-unless-you-smear-joe-biden/

• Advertisement

Ben Done wrote: »
    That was GiulianI.
    Last seen threatening US aid to Ukraine if they don't smear Joe Biden, apparently.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/09/trump-to-ukraine-no-aid-unless-you-smear-joe-biden/

Yes that's the one. Isn't it funny now that the Trump campaign are now just eliciting foiregn support in plain sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

So Wohl stated that anything he says is false and issued for the purpose of fake news and malicious damage and Giuliani, a US lawyer, former NYC mayor and member of Don Trumps staff made a threatening statement to the effect he would damage US interests if the US didn't stop giving aid to Ukraine, an ally invaded by Russia with the compliance of a trusted Russian acquaintance of Don Trump.

It seems to me that if both get away with said aims, the law in the US will have been made an ass courtesy of the Trump Admin and the US made even weaker, not greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭abff

I'm starting to believe that I'm in a coma and I've imagined the last few years. It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1170546650651271169?s=19

And here is a tweet he sent out at midnight :confused:

So, to recap - He makes a spectacular idiot of himself.

The news calls him on it.

He insinuates *they* are at fault for reporting it and that somehow, *he* is playing them!?

There are no words for this buffoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

everlast75 wrote: »

Seriously, on reading the first tweet, does the Admin expect most people to believe that Don Trump wrote it, looking at the long words written in it? It has to be meant for the followers and to get the media following up on it [in distraction mode].

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1170546650651271169?s=19

And here is a tweet he sent out at midnight :confused:

So, to recap - He makes a spectacular idiot of himself.

The news calls him on it.

He insinuates *they* are at fault for reporting it and that somehow, *he* is playing them!?

*sigh* He has a point. Every second spent on discussing this is a second not spent on more important matters like using taxpayer dollars to prop up his businesses, or the Justice Department taking aim at the American auto industry for adopting Californian emissions regulations,

*sigh* He has a point. Every second spent on discussing this is a second not spent on more important matters like using taxpayer dollars to prop up his businesses, or the Justice Department taking aim at the American auto industry for adopting Californian emissions regulations,

Hang on. This is not some sort of grand strategy.

The fact that bigger stories aren't covered enough can be true without him being the mastermind behind it.

Trump got in because of the fact americans have a low attention span and are more concerned with quasi-celebrity scandals than with policy.

The fact that he said we should nuke a hurricane or that he desperately tried to cover up a silly mistake get more legs than they should. But it is the age old questions about tabloid newspapers. Should they print certain stories because the public want them, or do the public want them because they are printed.

My own view is that this stuff should be relegated to the end of the bulletin, perhaps with the theme from Curb Your Enthusiasm playing over the final piece.

I think Trade wars and expenses scandals are getting plenty of coverage.

But if Trump thinks that the media showing him to be the narcissistic idiot that he is benefits him, he is sadly mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭abff

I'm still convinced that this is a dream and that I'm going to wake up soon!

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    I'm still convinced that this is a dream and that I'm going to wake up soon!

Unfortunately it's not a movie that you can just stand up and walk out from

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This stuff is only going to get worse in the run up to the election he is likely to lose.

The man is unhinged. White House aides have been telling everyone privately for months warning people of how bad he is getting.

This stuff is only going to get worse in the run up to the election he is likely to lose.
    Don't get ahead of yourself too quickly there - in the last two years, 17mn voters have been purged from the US system: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/01/voter-purges-us-elections-brennan-center-report

And that is on top of them point blank refusing to protect their elections despite it being accepted that their last one was meddled with quite severely: https://www.vox.com/2019/5/21/18629428/election-security-mitch-mcconnell-donald-trump-russia

And that is on top of them cancelling their primaries in certain states, despite that apparently being point blank illegal in cases like South Carolina.

And that is on top of states like Georgia having good-as-definitely rigged recent elections in the last few years, with the governor demanding over 300,000 people be purged leading up to his own election campaign: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/brian-kemp-340000-voters-748165/

And then deleting all data on that election when sued on it, which would have forced him to disclose: https://slate.com/technology/2017/10/georgia-destroyed-election-data-right-after-a-lawsuit-alleged-the-system-was-vulnerable.html?via=gdpr-consent

And using the census to rig and gerrymander elections based on race, in order for the results to be "advantageous to Republicans and non-white Hispanics" (what an ...odd... choice of words!): https://thinkprogress.org/thomas-hofeller-trump-census-racist-rigging-5ab9f81864bd/

And on top of that, we have election officials literally just throwing absentee ballots in the bin as if they were in Russia or someth.... oh wait a minute!! https://www.salon.com/2018/10/18/georgia-county-election-official-sued-for-throwing-out-black-voters-absentee-ballots/

And then you have other cases where the GOP politicians are literally having their staff illegally try to intercept absentee ballots to throw out, otherwise known as election fraud (something I thought the Republicans were super-duper against?): https://www.npr.org/2019/02/26/698265649/n-c-republican-at-center-of-election-fraud-case-wont-run-in-special-election?t=1567966982850

And the guy who did that, then lied in his testimony in court and got away with it, despite even publicly admitting to lying under oath.

The sad truth is, at this rate the 2020 election might have already been decided months ago, with the misinformation this time around being little more than window dressing. What will be interesting is to see how much the same people who were so upset about the Democrat primaries in 2016 care this time... my guess is exactly zero.

This was little more than a loyalty test for his supporters, to see if they would blindly accept whatever he says, regardless of if it is true or even appears to be also, like something out of 1984. Many passed with flying colours, including someone in this thread a few days back.

"Just remember what you’re seeing and what you're reading is not what’s happening."
    vs
    “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Which is Trump and which is Orwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

How can the USA,, the biggest economy on the planet, the country that invented Pax Americana, look on on and watch its neighbour destroyed by natural forces and not say, hang on friend, we're coming to help and we're going to throw what ever is necessary to help you, because we're America and we can do it. What happened to that America, is it now confined to a sociopaths tweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Expect a whole load of distractions this week,as the Dems get back to Congress following the Summer recess. A majority of the Dems in the House are now in favour of Impeachment and the Judiciary Committee will be ramping up their efforts to define the scope of further Impeachment work.

As this stage, I just want to see the actual Articles of Impeachment laid before the House, and the whole sorry process be sped up. This madness cannot continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Expect a whole load of distractions this week,as the Dems get back to Congress following the Summer recess. A majority of the Dems in the House are now in favour of Impeachment and the Judiciary Committee will be ramping up their efforts to define the scope of further Impeachment work.

As this stage, I just want to see the actual Articles of Impeachment laid before the House, and the whole sorry process be sped up. This madness cannot continue!

To be honest the fact it has already gone on so long makes me think it actually would be better to hold off and wait until closer to the election at this stage, as it could make things a lot harder for GOP senators when it comes to re-election and taking the Senate is just as, if not more important than taking the Presidency. Rolling out all the reasons for impeachment and forcing GOP Senators to either defend Trump or go against him to protect themselves could really be a vital difference-maker.

Penn wrote: »
    To be honest the fact it has already gone on so long makes me think it actually would be better to hold off and wait until closer to the election at this stage, as it could make things a lot harder for GOP senators when it comes to re-election and taking the Senate is just as, if not more important than taking the Presidency. Rolling out all the reasons for impeachment and forcing GOP Senators to either defend Trump or go against him to protect themselves could really be a vital difference-maker.

It took 5 months from the time they decided to launch an impeachment enquiry to the time the impeachment began with Nixon so something tells me they have the timing all worked out.

It took 5 months from the time they decided to launch an impeachment enquiry to the time the impeachment began with Nixon so something tells me they have the timing all worked out.

And hence the perceived past indecision by Pelosi, she's just stalling for time IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m looking forward to all the talking heads who called for Obama to impeached over every little thing losing their minds because the democrats impeaching Trump is undemocratic.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement