Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

peddlelies wrote: »
    Did the alligators have laser beams attached to them at least?

I don't believe Trump seriously suggested shooting migrants in the legs to "slow them down", but you never know.

He asked if border control/army could shoot them but was told it was illegal so I guess this is his way of striking a compromise cause he's the deal maker :s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Did the alligators have laser beams attached to them at least?

I don't believe Trump seriously suggested shooting migrants in the legs to "slow them down", but you never know.

Why not? You only need to go to "Current Affairs" forum on this very site and you'll see opinions expressed about migrants not 100% dissimilar to Trumps. I've seen serious suggestions that those boats in the Med. be allowed to drown - effectively the same proposal as shooting people on the Mexican border. Regardless of how you feel about the migration issue in the EU, suggesting "letting them die" as a genuine solution is shocking - but not surprising.

I can 100% believe someone of Trump's temperament, and historical absence of empathy, would idly ask about the possibility of shooting those trying to get into America. Simply because it's an impression held by the stirring base of most demographics across the world. Politicians are meant to be above that emotional vulgarity, again making Trump's presence in the hotseat such an abhorrent concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I, on the other hand, believe a lot of the things which people claim were jokes are things Trump really means.

He has said several times that he should be allowed a third term, or to be President for life, and people think he is kidding. Nope.

Trump ordered aides to get the wall built, steal the land if they had to, he would pardon them. Not a joke.

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing” - completely sincere.

Referring to himself as The Chosen One? Serious.

LED lights make him orange. Not joking: nutty as squirrel poo.

He shows no signs at all of having a sense of humour, he never laughs at all except in the sense of laughing at someone. And the mad things he says are because he actually is that mad, not jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,762 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Indeed there have been land grabs on the border

http://www.businessinsider.com/private-group-steve-bannon-build-border-wall-millions-gofundme-2019-5

Local municipality ruled they couldn’t build it but they did anyway one weekend, guerilla style

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Survive? As a consummate populist he is going to thrive from this whole process. Once it inevitably becomes deadlocked, the only person who will take a hit from all this will probably be Biden himself

Unfortunately, you are quite right. If there's one thing that this presidency has proven, it's that the Congress has no power really. He'll continue acting like a king and unfortunately the Dems will likely achieve nothing - having said that, they're right to start impeachment proceedings. They have to be seen to be doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whether it's politically expedient or not, at some point the rule of law must be upheld. That time has come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't envy the mods. Normally talking about shooting immigrants in the leg or moats with snakes and crocodiles in the politics forum would warrant a yellow at least. I say normally.

He's calling the impeachment inquiry a coup. It's only a matter of time before some MAGA shoots someone, (again) riled up by Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Few off-topic posts deleted. It's a long standing practice here not to use one forum to have a go at other forums and/or posters on other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump is off his game. He's just had a press thing in the Oval Office and he sounds angry more than anything else. He wasn't sure what a moat is when reacting to the story about trump wanting to do mad stuff on the border wall.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump is of his game. He's just had a press thing in the Oval Office and he sounds angry more than anything else. He wasn't sure what a moat is when reacting to the story about trump wanting to do mad stuff on the border wall.

The Deny Everything approach, which works for the media (and the public) as far as he's concerned.

Under oath, on the Senate Floor, in front of the Chief Justice: I got $5 that says Trump becomes the slowest, demurred, quietest you have ever seen him (Not unlike his past court appearances where he basically feigned senility, squinted at the document in front of him for a long pause, called for reading glasses, etc.). He will almost certainly pause to use a pair of spectacles during his sworn (and time-limited!) testimony, a pair they he most certainly does not require.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump is off his game. He's just had a press thing in the Oval Office and he sounds angry more than anything else. He wasn't sure what a moat is when reacting to the story about trump wanting to do mad stuff on the border wall.

He's definitely more unhinged than usual. I think the impeachment stuff has him rattled.

EF46SB1W4AUFxTk.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

He's definitely more unhinged than usual. I think the impeachment stuff has him rattled.

For sure. His latest, expletive laden tweet seems to show he's becoming unhinged/angered/dangerous/scared.

He seems like a wounded animal who has been cornered.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

Yes, he has totally latched onto Schiff's rewording of the call. But to be honest, it is difficult to defend Schiff's actions here. He should have been savy enough to know it would give Trump ammo.

He should have let Trump's words speak for themselves and explain the severity of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Coups, traitors, treason. This is the (ludicrously dangerous) language of a man floundering out of his depth. In a country without much in the way of civics classes, it's easy to see why the ignorant might think having a lot of executive power, meant have ALL of the executive power. Trump presumably thought he could write some Executive Orders and be The Boss. Especially for someone used to getting his way through intimidation or just being the loudest man in the room.

All he had to do was hire the best people he had promised, surround himself with wonks and experts who could do the heavy lifting while he acted as the front of house. In theory he could have been a great manager, instead he's a horrible boss.

It truly is "Stupid Watergate".

Yet he could still be re-elected. That's the really crazy part. The man couldn't leverage a GOP majority in both houses to fulfill a manifesto, yet some would claim him as someone who "gets things done".

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

RickBlaine wrote: »

Yes, he has totally latched onto Schiff's rewording of the call. But to be honest, it is difficult to defend Schiff's actions here. He should have been savy enough to know it would give Trump ammo.

He should have let Trump's words speak for themselves and explain the severity of them.

It was somewhat foreseeable that Trump would latch on to it but if it wasn't this, he'd be lying about something else. Schiff said at the beginning and end of his little spiel that he was capturing the essence of what Trump said. Anyone who pretends Schiff was trying to pass it off as a verbatim quote was never on the level to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I agree. Trump was going to latch onto something regardless or just make something else up. Nobody believes Trump anyway except the types of people who believe Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Donald Trump saying he didn't want spikes at the top...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179411261337067520?s=19

Donald Trump saying fences with spikes at the top are what he wants

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076239448461987841?s=19

Lots of news broke today when Trump absolutely lost his mind.

He accused the whistleblower's version of the call as being "Vicious" and says he considers the whistle-blower a "Spy" and then moments later tries to impregnate their complaint/account as "Totally Erroneous." He then immediately says he "fooled them" by disclosing the Telcon version of the transcript to the public (in reality it bolstered the veracity of the complaint). He then implants a few misdirections about Schiff and Pelosi as if that's central to the issue, all under the guys of "I heared" (H e a r s a y), that he thinks he heard about an imagined ad-lib conversation he bull****ted about the two of them conspiring against him (my favorite line of his one man show was when his caricature of Pelosi said, "We can't impeach him off that conversation it's a great conversation!" Trump tries to insist that the 'only' thing that matters (my worshippers, please narrow your focus here, basically) is his transcript, and very much doesn't want people to look at anything else in the whistleblower report. He then emphatically states that Joe and Hunter Biden are categorically corrupt without support.

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-demands-whistleblower-identity-be-revealed/

For reference here is the PDF on Congressional File that Trump doesn't want the public to even consider in this impeachment inquiry: https://intelligence.house.gov/uploadedfiles/20190812_-_whistleblower_complaint_unclass.pdf

So far Trump has been engaged in a massive gaslighting campaign: https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-absolutely-loses-it-during-pelosi-schiff-impeachment-presser-wasting-everyones-time-and-energy-on-bull****/

He has repeated calls for Schiff to be removed from office and tried for treason, rather than explain why he's putting the whistleblower's life in danger. https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-rages-that-lowlife-schiff-should-be-charged-with-treason-he-couldnt-carry-pompeos-blank-strap/

And this commercial is airing in a multimillion dollar ad campaign...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

He's speaking complete gibberish in a press conference with the Finnish pm on Sky now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Thargor wrote: »
    He's speaking complete gibberish in a press conference with the Finnish pm on Sky now.

He has no control of his emotions... so angry....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

He must have mental health issues. I wish one of the journalists would call him out on what a complete moron he is

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Thargor wrote: »

That was bad. Even in the Trump era, that surely counts as abysmal.

A distracting (from the obvious terribleness of everything) is trying to imagine what these others leaders feel while stood next to Trump during one of these particularly turgid conferences... I'm glad I'm not a states-person put in one of those situations. I truly do not think I could withstand the temptation to rip him a new one in front of the American press.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/FrancoOrdonez/status/1179467385205641220?s=19

Mike Pence now becomes a material witness...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FrancoOrdonez/status/1179467385205641220?s=19

Mike Pence now becomes a material witness...

'Franco has just corrected that.. its Mike Pompeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Call me Al wrote: »
    'Franco has just corrected that.. its Mike Pompeo.

Probably for the best. The frantic speculation of Trump and Pence being impeached and replaced by Pelosi would get a second wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

His two appearances today with the Finnish president, in the oval office and now the press conference, is probably the most unhinged and angry he as ever been on camera. They were absolute **** shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wow, his performance was a train wreck. Sad to see what the United States has become. I don't think the office will ever be the same again, whoever follows him. Here's what the former director of the CIA made of it:

https://twitter.com/JohnBrennan/status/1179485989854744576

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

RickBlaine wrote: »
    His two appearances today with the Finnish president, in the oval office and now the press conference, is probably the most unhinged and angry he as ever been on camera. They were absolute **** shows.

I only heard the last bit of the Oval Office mess and wasn’t able to watch or listen to the press conference and it was probably a blessing in disguise.

I just don’t get how President Trump’s defence of his actions and the fact he released the evidence in some bizarre strategy to vindicate his actions. He’s now thick that when people see his conversation outside of his bubble it’s seen for what it actually was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Seen this doing the rounds on twitter. Trump will use this to try and discredit Schiff especially after his reading in the congressional hearing.

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/1179461467894161410

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement