Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I don't think they will.
    Not after 2.5 years anyway.

I hope he takes them all down with him.

At this stage I'm leaning towards hating them *more* than Trump.

The wormy, toady little way the likes of Rubio, Graham, Jordan, Cruz etc move the goal posts, lie and debase themselves to make excuses for Trump, its absolutely enraging to see.

Rubio said recently that Trump said what he said about China investigating corruption was said purely to get the media to react, and then basically said that they played right into his hands. Utterly despicable.

https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/1180166630803939330?s=19

They are all culpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They are even more culpable IMO.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Bernie had a heart attack: https://twitter.com/ap/status/1180256018397323264?s=21

This gives the GOP a great opportunity to shoot him down.

Bernie had a heart attack: https://twitter.com/ap/status/1180256018397323264?s=21

True, but it never ceases to amaze me that trump supporters have a go at Sanders and in 2016 Clinton about their health, but refuse to provide an impartial assessment of Trump's health, laugh at how trump wrote his own assessment and lied about it, that he lies about something so basic as his own height and weight and caused some serious discussion on removing him because he was mentally fit to be president!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He's released yesterday from Hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

duploelabs wrote: »
    He's released yesterday from Hospital

It'd be o.k. if he dropped out. There are way too many Democratic candidates. He can beat the drum for impeachment in the Senate full time once recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Igotadose wrote: »
    It'd be o.k. if he dropped out. There are way too many Democratic candidates. He can beat the drum for impeachment in the Senate full time once recovered.

He's unelectable now.

He's unelectable now.

I don't think he would have won a general anyway, but absolutely that puts the final nail in that coffin. I would hope he gives his full backing to whomever is the nominee and does what he can to ensure his supporters, of which there are many millions get out this time and support the candidate.

I know he did last time but the damage had been done, this would be one of the better ways for him to withdraw, medical reasons. Disappointing for him of course, but in the greater scheme of things.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I don't think he would have won a general anyway, but absolutely that puts the final nail in that coffin. I would hope he gives his full backing to whomever is the nominee and does what he can to ensure his supporters, of which there are many millions get out this time and support the candidate.

I know he did last time but the damage had been done, this would be one of the better ways for him to withdraw, medical reasons. Disappointing for him of course, but in the greater scheme of things.

He wasn't at the top of the leader board anyway.He needs to withdraw gracefully and put his full weight behind whoever gets the nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Woot. Tucker Carlson turning on Trump.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-tucker-carlson-fox-news-biden-ukraine-phone-call-impeachment-a9143956.html

“Donald Trump should not have been on the phone with a foreign head of state encouraging another country to investigate his political opponent, Joe Biden,” he said. “Some Republicans are trying, but there’s no way to spin this as a good idea.”

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-tucker-carlson-fox-news-biden-ukraine-phone-call-impeachment-a9143956.html

“Donald Trump should not have been on the phone with a foreign head of state encouraging another country to investigate his political opponent, Joe Biden,” he said. “Some Republicans are trying, but there’s no way to spin this as a good idea.”

Trump's *foreign secretary's criticism should be brought up next time Trump gives an interview - to see how much that has an effect on him. Plus, if he has a go at Carlson, it might drive a further wedge between them, which can only be a good time for the Country at large.

*de facto

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

He's unelectable now.

I said this in another thread

With the stints placed he is technically healthier then he was last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

In all the chaos of the past week, you may have missed the fact that, Chris Collins, Republican House Representative from New York, pleaded guilty to 2 counts of insider trading. Collins was the 1st House Rep to sign on to the Trump campaign.

This is the guy who did one of his insider deals from the South Lawn of the White House. Described on Politico as a Trump Mini-Me..

He is due to be sentenced in January. The guilty pleas carry a maximum of 5 years each.

Another blood sucking leech gets pried off the US body politic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

At this point the discussion has moved beyond Trump. He is capable of anything.

The real question is, When. Will. The. GOP. Act.

When they will act is very simple.

When his popularity drops.

His approval rating has gone up in the last week, incredibly.

As long as he retains the 85%/90% support levels with GOP voters there is absolutely nothing that Trump can do that will make the GOP house or senate members take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    In all the chaos of the past week, you may have missed the fact that, Chris Collins, Republican House Representative from New York, pleaded guilty to 2 counts of insider trading. Collins was the 1st House Rep to sign on to the Trump campaign.

This is the guy who did one of his insider deals from the South Lawn of the White House. Described on Politico as a Trump Mini-Me..

He is due to be sentenced in January. The guilty pleas carry a maximum of 5 years each.

Does this mean a recall election or can the GOP nominate one of their own to replace him without going to his constituents?

weisses wrote: »
    I said this in another thread

With the stints placed he is technically healthier then he was last week

Perception is reality though and you know how it looks.

aloyisious wrote: »
    TomOnBoard wrote: »

Does this mean a recall election or can the GOP nominate one of their own to replace him without going to his constituents?

Collins resigned from Congress just before pleading guilty. The Governor (Cuomo ) will have to call a special election.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    At this point the discussion has moved beyond Trump. He is capable of anything.

The real question is, When. Will. The. GOP. Act.

When they will act is very simple.

When his popularity drops.

His approval rating has gone up in the last week, incredibly.

As long as he retains the 85%/90% support levels with GOP voters there is absolutely nothing that Trump can do that will make the GOP house or senate members take action.

Unless the GOP leaders put someone else up as a Trump alternative, the vast bulk of Reps will continue to support Trump to the bitter end (and some beyond) For them it will be a binary choice, support Trump or support Democrats. No way will most of them ever support a Democrat.. You know that slogan on the T-shirts worn by many of the MAGA hatted brigade: "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat "...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder are we in the last days of the Trump presidency.

There is a real sense of momentum now and the sheer craziness of his tweets right now suggest he knows he is in deep trouble.

I think this could all come to an end a lot quicker than people think!

I wonder are we in the last days of the Trump presidency.

There is a real sense of momentum now and the sheer craziness of his tweets right now suggest he knows he is in deep trouble.

I think this could all come to an end a lot quicker than people think!

Trump will fight it all the way. It will take a delegation of senior Reps to go to him and convince him to resign along with many of his cronies in the Cabinet. I don't see that happening any time soon, unless the Reps and Dems agree a major deal on succession that keeps Trump out of jail in the future.

In my wildest dreams, having smoked some weird hallucinogens, I could see such a deal being done to put Pelosi into the White House following a Trump/Pence resignation twofer. Otherwise, in a sober state, I reckon its going to take a Senate conviction or 2020 election loss to get him out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If the polls move further towards impeachment, GOP Senators and Representatives in swing states will be the first to run for cover. Self preservation will be the great motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Now if he follows this up with a similar comment that Don should not have been broadcasting calls to the world's leaders that they should investigate Joe as well. it'll be putting his worth where it can have an effect and not merely about Don using White House facilities to talk to one specific leader.

Incidentally it might be a good question for the US free press to put to Don "Mr President, what do you think of the media now that they gave you a platform to speak to the world's leaders without any slant being put on what you said, do you say they are still giving out fake news?".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump is no closer to the exit door then we was a few weeks ago. Politics has changed in the last 20 or so years, it is far more about sides now than it ever was and as some posters have pointed out there are many GOP voters that will simply never countenance going against Trump as that will be judged to be siding with the DNC. The idea that the country comes first is long dead.

Trumps numbers hold up well, because his supporters are not judging him on how he does the job or what he actually does, but rather that he keeps the DNC out. You can be certain that had Trump lost the election he would have been persona non grata and erased from the GOP memory. Remember that the main players in the GOP were totally against Trump right up until he secured the nomination and many even beyond that.

So the fundamental reason for Trump supporters to support him has not changed. And will not change.

Look at the posters on here about Schiff and his speech in the senate. Its all "the man is a liar, you can't trust him, he is politically biased". Which are of course exactly the arguments that should be used to deal with any utterances from Trump himself yet then continue to not only listen to him but actually place any grain of truth in what he says.

That is the issue you are dealing with. The man has admitted he did it, and called for other countries like China to start investigations and at the same time claims that the DNC cannot be trusted because they ran a politically motivated investigation against him!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The only way Republican politicians turn away from him, is if he turns his dangerous rhetoric against them and some loon kills one of them.

He'll continue to create the environment where they can be nakedly corrupt, because he'll always be more corrupt than them.

He'll keep doing the boring partisan stuff of stuffing the judicuary with Republican hacks.

The only thing that'll turn them off that might reasonably happen is a threat to their safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gbear wrote: »
    The only way Republican politicians turn away from him, is if he turns his dangerous rhetoric against them and some loon kills one of them.

He'll continue to create the environment where they can be nakedly corrupt, because he'll always be more corrupt than them.

He'll keep doing the boring partisan stuff of stuffing the judicuary with Republican hacks.

The only thing that'll turn them off that might reasonably happen is a threat to their safety.

But the Goon is more likely to shoot up NYT/WaPo/CNN or Dem than go near any GOPers. So there's no "real" threat. They'll hand-wring for a few days and then that'll be it.

Sandyhook was the lowpoint. Americans don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Romney might run in 2020, he has spoken out against Trump..... Trumps tweets really have an air of desperation and denial about them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Got an early look at a talking point from my Rep., he tried to argue that Biden wasn't/isn't trump's "opposition" because there are/were still 20 DNC candidates.

The only problem with that argument is that it falls apart the minute the Trump campaign admits to having done oppo research on biden. Not to mention their campaign has already run attack ads against Biden. Another case where Trump's own uncalculated actions work to undo himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Romney might run in 2020, he has spoken out against Trump..... Trumps tweets really have an air of desperation and denial about them.....

Def not, Romney isn't stupid.

Trump is now saying he made the call to Zelensky on the insistence of Rick Perry. It looks like good old Rick is about to be offered up as a fall-guy..

Good luck with that Donnie!!

https://www.axios.com/trump-blamed-rick-perry-call-ukraine-zelensky-8178447a-0374-4ac6-b321-a9454b0565d4.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So since trump released the “perfect transcript” he’s involved his own VP mike pence in the ****.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement