Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

pixelburp wrote: »
    His problem is that in 2016, his insults and demeanour was an arresting kick against the normalcy of Washington politics. In 2020 the gimmick is played out and for many the emperor has been shown to have no clothes, let alone having drained any swamps. His schtick might not come off quite as endearing second time around. The sole tangent has been to emphasise an economy that the last guy started (and whose laws trump has gleefully torn up).

Plus trump has never had to beg to keep his job. It's one thing to say "only I know how to fix things", it's another to say "I'm still fixing it, honest".

This time, the middle ground will be fully aware of what they'll be getting. Therefore, if they re-elect him, they'll deserve everything they get. Much also depends on how the House ans Senate go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

amandstu wrote: »
    He reminds me of M.Ali in his rope a dope bout (was it against Forman?) .Just too easy to hit.

Then he springs off the ropes and knees you in the ghoulies.

Be afraid,be very afraid.He will do anything to win 2020 and we know the bar he has set and which is accepted by his supporters.

Yep, Ali/Foreman, the 'rumble in the Jungle.' Ali was a master of getting into his opponents heads, which is what he did to Foreman, as well as the 'rope-a-dope.'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,379 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Epstein arrested!

And by the anti-corruption section too.

Hopefully everyone associated with this scumbag is brought down, whoever they are or party affiliation.

At the very least, Acosta should be toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48898231

That is interesting -a professional assessment

"Mr Trump's publicly stated reason for calling off an airstrike against Tehran with 10 minutes to go - that it would cause 150 casualties - "doesn't stand up", Sir Kim said.

Instead, he suggested the president was "never fully on board" and did not want to reverse his campaign promise not to involve the US in foreign conflicts"

among other impressions....(he lies out of both sides of his mouth)

Kim Darroch is the UK ambassador to Washington.

Trump's got a "Social Media Summit" coming this week for the right-wing loons that back him to get together, enjoy a day on the taxpayer and air their grievances. Apparently no social media companies are invited, just complainers, including one that's published blatantly anti-semitic cartoons commissioned at the request of others at this meeting:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/trump-poised-to-hold-social-media-summit-without-social-media-companies

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/anti-semitism-cartoonist-white-house-trump-adl_n_5d21219ae4b0f3125685269d

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I find it interesting that this sort of ‘leak’ from ambassadors and diplomats has t been more of a regular occurrence. But could we expect more of it in the run up to the campaign?

The Trump administration has been described as "uniquely dysfunctional" and "inept" by leaked memos from the UK's ambassador in Washington.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/trump-administration-inept-uk-ambassador-leak-memo/

I find it interesting that this sort of ‘leak’ from ambassadors and diplomats has t been more of a regular occurrence. But could we expect more of it in the run up to the campaign?

The Trump administration has been described as "uniquely dysfunctional" and "inept" by leaked memos from the UK's ambassador in Washington.

Going to do wonders for that future UK/US trade deal that the Brexiteers are clamoring for. After all this is the Tory ambassador to the US.

Doesn't matter to Trump's supporters. England's where the Beatles came from, damned long haired commuh-nihsts. Didn't they have a woman in charge, what was her name, Thatchey?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Epstein arrested!

And by the anti-corruption section too.

Hopefully everyone associated with this scumbag is brought down, whoever they are or party affiliation.

At the very least, Acosta should be toast!

Just went on their website to see what that division investigates...

The Bureau’s Public Corruption program focuses on:

Investigating violations of federal law by public officials at the federal, state, and local levels of government

Public officials?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Going to do wonders for that future UK/US trade deal that the Brexiteers are clamoring for. After all this is the Tory ambassador to the US.

Doesn't matter to Trump's supporters. England's where the Beatles came from, damned long haired commuh-nihsts. Didn't they have a woman in charge, what was her name, Thatchey?

It's not impossible that this was leaked to allow Johnson to 'reluctantly' fire him and replace him with a more obsequious and populist friendly ambassador who would be in tune with both Johnson and Trump. Uriah Heep would be a perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well, Donnie isn't going to appreciate the words of the UK ambassador much :D Looking forward to a meltdown on Twitter later today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's a niggle that this was leaked to hide the Epstein arrest

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Well, Donnie isn't going to appreciate the words of the UK ambassador much :D Looking forward to a meltdown on Twitter later today!

Even money 'loser!' is used at least once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm confused, is there a link to Trump with the Epstein arrest? I won't deny I hadn't been aware of the ins and outs of the guy, just wondering what the connection with the administration might be?

Trump on Epstein:

“Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side."

I'm confused, is there a link to Trump with the Epstein arrest? I won't deny I hadn't been aware of the ins and outs of the guy, just wondering what the connection with the administration might be?
    Apart from the personal level, When Epstein was initially convicted he took a plea bargain and was set free early by the florida DA and Trump's now Labour secretary Alex Acosta. There's something not exactly kosher about that plea bargain/early release about the victims not being informed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

There's a woman accusing Trump of raping her at the age of 13 at one of Epstein's parties where they regularly had underage "models".

duploelabs wrote: »
    Trump on Epstein:

“Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side."

Trump commenting on his 16 year old daughter Ivanka: “Don’t you think my daughter’s hot? She’s hot, right?”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

duploelabs wrote: »
    Trump on Epstein:

At the risk of being a vacuous one-line post...

... YYEEEEEEEESSSSH.

I've said it before and i'll say it again; it's no wonder the few defenders on Trump on this thread focus on (sometimes made up) logistical successes, because the man is an absolute cretin and creep.

I suspect that once he shuffles off this mortal coil, the tell-alls that will come out about his carry on at these kind of "parties" could yet be damning. The retrospective Roads to Damascus taken by former lickspittles will also be a thing to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

It's not impossible that this was leaked to allow Johnson to 'reluctantly' fire him and replace him with a more obsequious and populist friendly ambassador who would be in tune with both Johnson and Trump. Uriah Heep would be a perfect fit.

There's definitely something that stinks with it - it was written by Isabel Oakeshott, Brexit insider and with ties to Aaron Banks and Russia.

Lots of stories, substantiated and otherwise. Previous rape allegation (another one!) against Trump while at Epstein party. Case dropped by claimant who says she received death threats.

That said, there are stories of Clinton, Prince Andrew* I believe and Alan Dershowitz involved with Epstein.

*correction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Lots of stories, substantiated and otherwise. Previous rape allegation (another one!) against Trump while at Epstein party. Case dropped by claimant who says she received death threats.

That said, there are stories of Clinton, Prince William I believe and Alan Dershowitz involved with Epstein.

Prince Andrew it was, as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

As well as having that rub and tug merchant that was arrested for human trafficking (the one Robert Kraft was implicated with) associated with Mar a Lago, at least one of Epstein's victims was 'recruited' there.

It will never cease to amaze me how much projection there is in conservative moral outrage. It seems like every homophobic pastor is found with rent boys, every 'family values' preacher is paying mistresses to get abortions, and even Pizzagate was true, except it was Epstein's paedophile ring and was covered up by Trump's labour secretary, Alex Acosta.

To be fair, the confluence of this degeneracy is not with conservativism per se, but wealth, with an astonishing array of wealthy people from all political orientations having partied with Epstein and having traveled on the revoltingly nicknamed 'Lolita Express'; Prince Andrew, Kevin Spacey, Alan Dershowitz, Trump, Naomi Campbell, Bill Clinton, to name a few.

However, it's a step above that when one is the current president, and he has directly rewarded the architect of the cover up, he has a multitude of other sexual misconduct allegations, including rape, and has other, separate links to individuals who've engaged in human trafficking.

It's well and good to bring up the Clintons as dirtbags - Bill in particular, but I find it hard to believe that Hillary is oblivious to her husband's dealings. If they could be indicted and convicted then good riddance.

It's revealing to the thought process of people when they try to use them for vehicles of whabouttery. It underlines a key difference between the conservative and liberal mindset.

Conservatives value hierarchy. Liberals value values. As with Al Franken, a value oriented approach means when caught, even for relatively trivial offences, the offending party is removed.

It isn't some sort of gotcha moment because support for these people is conditional not on who they are but what they do.

That is why Trump's support is unconditional. It's not about what he does but who he is and what he represents.

It's why the difference between the parties isn't necessarily about how many scandals they have, but how they react to them. The hierarchy is all, so conservatives can double down. With liberals the individual is important and if they fail, they can be cast aside to preserve the whole.

Gbear wrote: »
    As well as having that rub and tug merchant that was arrested for human trafficking (the one Robert Kraft was implicated with) associated with Mar a Lago, at least one of Epstein's victims was 'recruited' there.

It will never cease to amaze me how much projection there is in conservative moral outrage. It seems like every homophobic pastor is found with rent boys, every 'family values' preacher is paying mistresses to get abortions, and even Pizzagate was true, except it was Epstein's paedophile ring and was covered up by Trump's labour secretary, Alex Acosta.

To be fair, the confluence of this degeneracy is not with conservativism per se, but wealth, with an astonishing array of wealthy people from all political orientations having partied with Epstein and having traveled on the revoltingly nicknamed 'Lolita Express'; Prince Andrew, Kevin Spacey, Alan Dershowitz, Trump, Naomi Campbell, Bill Clinton, to name a few.

However, it's a step above that when one is the current president, and he has directly rewarded the architect of the cover up, he has a multitude of other sexual misconduct allegations, including rape, and has other, separate links to individuals who've engaged in human trafficking.

It's well and good to bring up the Clintons as dirtbags - Bill in particular, but I find it hard to believe that Hillary is oblivious to her husband's dealings. If they could be indicted and convicted then good riddance.

It's revealing to the thought process of people when they try to use them for vehicles of whabouttery. It underlines a key difference between the conservative and liberal mindset.

Conservatives value hierarchy. Liberals value values. As with Al Franken, a value oriented approach means when caught, even for relatively trivial offences, the offending party is removed.

It isn't some sort of gotcha moment because support for these people is conditional not on who they are but what they do.

That is why Trump's support is unconditional. It's not about what he does but who he is and what he represents.

It's why the difference between the parties isn't necessarily about how many scandals they have, but how they react to them. The hierarchy is all, so conservatives can double down. With liberals the individual is important and if they fail, they can be cast aside to preserve the whole.

Indeed. This is how I see things played out most of the time..

Democrats when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful

Republicans when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful

Democrats when a Republican is found doing something illegal - that's awful

Republicans when a Republican is found doing something illegal - Well, what about the time that Democrat did that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Of course Trump is inept and insecure, which has one positive aspect, it makes him more afraid of war and losing a war, you can't lose a war you never started...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

RobertKK wrote: »
    Of course Trump is inept and insecure, which has one positive aspect, it makes him more afraid of war and losing a war, you can't lose a war you never started...

In a most bizarre sense you’re completely correct. And. This also flies in the face of decades of US foreign policy. They’ve never once had a second thought about invading or interfering at the drop of the hat at the behest of their puppet master the oil companies.

Republicans when a Republican is found doing something illegal - Well, what about the time that Democrat did that too!

At least we have none of that kind of argument on this thread. No siree bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's a very similar situation to the Catholic church. "It wasn't all the priests" is a poor excuse when there were systematic cover-ups, collusion with state bodies to deny justice, foot dragging over compensation and failure in leadership and taking responsibility over a period of decades.

And it was the same mindset that allowed them to get away with it.

At least we have none of that kind of argument on this thread. No siree bob.

Not since a certain poster threw their toys from the pram and took the ball home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Some serious confirmation bias in this thread.

Democrats when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful.

Got a good laugh out of that, cheers. Remember now, you're morally superior so keep fighting the good fight.

zs4pgym.jpgFfCJcBJ.png

• Advertisement

Any impropriety should be condemned so spare the haughty superiority complex yourself peddles. I don't subscribe to everlast thinking but when it comes to scandals, the wagons are always circled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement