Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

pixelburp wrote: »
    Any impropriety should be condemned so spare the haughty superiority complex yourself peddles. I don't subscribe to everlast thinking but when it comes to scandals, the wagons are always circled.

I don't see how pointing out hypocrisy is akin to a superiority complex. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,379 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

peddlelies wrote: »
    Some serious confirmation bias in this thread.

Democrats when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful.

Got a good laugh out of that, cheers. Remember now, you're morally superior so keep fighting the good fight.

zs4pgym.jpgFfCJcBJ.png

Some dumb **** wearing blackface is the best you could find under Democrats defending another democrat? Really?

What about Greg Craig? He was mixed in with Manafort. No problem at all slating him. How did the Republicans treat Manafort? Stand up guy, wasn't he?

Contrast that with Roy Moore, Scott Pruit, and the litany of Republicans who were defended to the hilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

everlast75 wrote: »
    Some dumb **** wearing blackface is the best you could find under Democrats defending another democrat? Really?

What about Greg Craig? He was mixed in with Manafort. No problem at all slating him.

Contrast that with Roy Moore, Scott Pruit, and the litany of Republicans who were defended to the hilt.

No, I didn't spent any time thinking about it at all.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over which side is worse. In the current climate the Republicans are worse because they're the ones in power and Trump is President, in 2020 if the Democrats win they'll be the ones under the microscope.

Each side protects their own, that's the way it is and always will be.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

everlast75 wrote: »
    Indeed. This is how I see things played out most of the time..

Democrats when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful

Republicans when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful

Democrats when a Republican is found doing something illegal - that's awful

Republicans when a Republican is found doing something illegal - Well, what about the time that Democrat did that too!

The Democratic party has a history as far back as its foundation in protecting its own member who ae breaking laws.

You seem to have forgotten the Democratic Party stood against the abolition of SLAVERY.

and you seriously lay clam that "Democrats when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful " ..
    I dont recall many Democrats in the South saying slavery was awful...

Typical leftist anti-Trumpers, they always draw a line in history and seem to think it only started when they say it did, when in reality the history has already been written and can never be changed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

RIGOLO wrote: »
    The Democratic party has a history as far back as its foundation in protecting its own member who ae breaking laws.

You seem to have forgotten the Democratic Part stood against the abolition of SLAVERY.

and you seriously lay clam that "Democrats when a Democrat is found doing something illegal - that's awful " ..
    I dont recall many Democrats in the South saying slavery was awful...

Typical leftist anti-Trumpers, they always draw a line in history and seem to think it only started when they say it did, when in reality the history has already been written and can never be changed.

I think most People drew a line under the slavery issue about 150 years ago. It’s interesting you decide to pull that one out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    His problem is that in 2016, his insults and demeanour was an arresting kick against the normalcy of Washington politics. In 2020 the gimmick is played out and for many the emperor has been shown to have no clothes, let alone having drained any swamps. His schtick might not come off quite as endearing second time around. The sole tangent has been to emphasise an economy that the last guy started (and whose laws trump has gleefully torn up).

Plus trump has never had to beg to keep his job. It's one thing to say "only I know how to fix things", it's another to say "I'm still fixing it, honest".

The last guy added 8 trillion to the debt , averaged 1.6 % growth added 5 million or more to foodstamps and all with a friendly Fed holding rates at 0%
    If you like that economy thats okay its a free world.

TRump has taken 5 million off foodstamps, got record low unemployment rates, and the stock market is booming.
    The Trump supporters like that economy.

The only legacy Obama left TRump in the economy is the interest repayments TRump has to make on the 8 trillion extra debt Obama handed him.
    Remeber it was debt Obama took at out effectively 0% interest which as it rolls over Trump is having to pay back at a much higher rate.

Obamas economy sucked, thats why he lost over a 1000 legislaive seats during his 8 years and why TRump knocked Hilary off her pedastal.

Brian? wrote: »
    I think most People drew a line under the slavery issue about 150 years ago. It’s interesting you decide to pull that one out.

thanks for confirmation of what I said in the earlier post ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over which side is worse. In the current climate the Republicans are worse because they're the ones in power and Trump is President, in 2020 if the Democrats win they'll be the ones under the microscope.

Obama did not have a single controversy that was comparable to that of Trump who seems to manage one weekly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't see how pointing out hypocrisy is akin to a superiority complex. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

When you snark at those in the thread as being "morally superior" and add the boilerplate "echo chamber" remark, then yeah, I think you were being a little superior yourself. It's needless TBH :) don't appreciate being called hypocrite.

God knows the Democrat blackface scandal was just typical democrat circular firing squad behaviour, and is hypocritical, but when the sitting President is that outwardly repulsive at every turn, it's hard to maintain proportionate outrage when the man at the top commands so much of it, at such comically exaggerated levels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Although I agree with you that the arguments about "Democrats being in favour of slavery" are completely stupid 150 years after the fact, it's worth observing that the Democrats have not drawn a line under the issue. HR.40 on slavery reparations was only heard a month ago.

• Advertisement

Mate - when you're going back 150 years to try make a point, you're losing.

Which party is endorsed by the kkk now? Which party is lead by a guy who calls African countries "sh1tholes"? The central park 5, derogatory comments about Mexicans, birtherism... The list goes on.

But you know this. That 150 year old card is the last one in the deck when it comes to race and people need to be desperate to play it.

You are welcome.

they/them/theirs

Look. I get that politicians from either side can be corrupt. 100%. The point I am making is that currently, it appears to be that there is little or no accountability in the Rep party at the moment for the significant corruption. Indeed, it actually appears to be a requisite. Scandal after scandal. I don't think there has been anything like the turnover of staff and only those who resign do so when, and rightfully so, the pressure is put on them by investigative journalists.

How many acting heads of department have we got? How many vacant positions?

I'll level with you now. If the Dems win 2020 and get in, I will have no problem condemning any Dem politician from any scandal. I don't cheer them on like they are some sort of superhero (unlike the americans). I don't believe in circling the wagons over there, or in this country. Accountability is key.

You make a valid point though - a lot of politicians are a holes, but there is absolutely *nothing* like what is happening now. The point I'm making is that nothing seems to be done about it. There aren't enough hours in the day to cover the scandals. Maybe that's the Reps' strategy, tire people out. Either way - the institutions are taking a hammering over there, and I would just like some Republicans to stand up and see that this isn't on. Unfortunately, they are nowhere to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

It's a struggle to find something good Republicans did without going back at least a half century.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Has Don tweeted about the suggestion that Presidents Macron and Rouhani will talk about reviving the Nuclear non-proliferation deal?

The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA; Persian: برنامه جامع اقدام مشترک‎, romanized: barnāmeye jāme'e eqdāme moshtarak (برجام, BARJAM)),[4][5] known commonly as the Iran nuclear deal or Iran deal, is an agreement on the Iranian nuclear program reached in Vienna on July 14, 2015, between Iran, the P5+1 (the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council—China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States—plus Germany),[a] and the European Union.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

USA have just won the Women's World Cup and will be accepting AOC's invite to the House of Representatives.

The team refused Trump's June 26th invite to the White House. "I refuse to respect a man that warrants no respect," said US player Ali Krieger.

Her teammate, Megan Rapinoe said she would not go "to the f-king White House".

Trump accused world cup winner Rapinoe of disrespecting the country. Rapinoe scored the first goal today for the USA. What Rapinoe was disrespecting, of course, was Trump. In particular his anti-LGBT stance, as Rapinoe is lesbian.

"Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team" - Trump, June 26th

World Cup Winner 2019 and Golden Boot winner: Megan Rapinoe, an American Idol

A smiling Emmanuel Macron just presented her with her trophy!

So yet again, a true American Hero, a lesbian pro footballer lifts the World Cup for the USA and Trump is snarling at her, making her an object of hate. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

USA have just won the Women's World Cup and will be accepting AOC's invite to the House of Representatives.

The team refused Trump's June 26th invite to the White House. "I refuse to respect a man that warrants no respect," said US player Ali Krieger.

Trump accused world cup winner Rapinoe of disrespecting the country. Rapinoe scored the first goal today for the USA.

His Twitter should be fun, he has to congratulate them knowing he is hated by them and they will turn down any invite to the WH.

As we know Donny doesn't take rejection lightly.

Trump accused world cup winner Rapinoe of disrespecting the country. Rapinoe scored the first goal today for the USA.

In fairness I wouldn't go. Room temperature Burger King doesn't exactly whet the appetite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Although I agree with you that the arguments about "Democrats being in favour of slavery" are completely stupid 150 years after the fact, it's worth observing that the Democrats have not drawn a line under the issue. HR.40 on slavery reparations was only heard a month ago.

Not only are they two completely separate issues, they are completely different in concept as well.

And you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Loathsome Jeffrey Lord was point lackey for Trump on 'the Democrats promoted Slavery!' I remember him on CNN getting into it with Van Jones who was kind of incredulous. But, the Trump machine flogged this issue all through the campaign. It's irrelevant but a great whataboutery option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The last guy added 8 trillion to the debt , averaged 1.6 % growth added 5 million or more to foodstamps and all with a friendly Fed holding rates at 0%
    If you like that economy thats okay its a free world.
    Last time you posted this campaign fodder, I asked you, "What would you have done in 2008" with the economy in crisis. Well? Would you have let the banks fail and implemented austerity as the economy was losing 800,000 jobs per month and per the SecTreas at the time, needed an 800 billion $ infusion in December 2008 to keep from seizing up?

Remember that the tGOP had both houses of Congress from 2010 through 2016. So, who put those budgets through?

Note that a big chunk of this deficit (and as we know, deficits don't matter to anyone, Republican or Democrat) came from paying for GWB's middle-east adventures on the books, rather than what he'd done

Really the economy today is a false thing; it's driven by cheap money. Productivity hasn't gone up, and wages are stagnant, plus a lot of the jobs aren't great quality - better than unemployment, but do you urge kids to go to college so they can end up working the gig economy? Baristas and uber drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Trump accused world cup winner Rapinoe of disrespecting the country. Rapinoe scored the first goal today for the USA. What Rapinoe was disrespecting, of course, was Trump. In particular his anti-LGBT stance, as Rapinoe is lesbian.

"Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team" - Trump, June 26th

So yet again, a true American Hero, a lesbian pro footballer lifts the World Cup for the USA and Trump is snarling at her, making her an object of hate. Incredible.

Hilarious watching the maga crowd hope their own team lose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Her teammate, Megan Rapinoe said she would not go "to the f-king White House"..

It's a tough one, and that classic conundrum of respecting the office or man. The US women's soccer team is a pretty big deal; while the men's game still lags behind on the world stage, the women's team has been the toast of the country for a while now. Snubbing the president will make waves, even for a minority sport.

I get Rapinoes point of view, but honestly this scenario has been a case where I liked neither party. Trump is Trump, but Rapinoe has presented as exactly the kind of arrogant, mouthy sports star who rubs me up the wrong way. A touch of the McGregor about her, I can't stand those kind of sports people in general. I respect her talent and seems like she has become a LGBT icon, but her and her team possess an awful amount of hubris - to the point where I'm glad the US don't dominate more field sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

MAGAs should like Rapinoe, after all she tells it like it is. I'm not remotely surprised the woman's team has no interest in attending the White House, any more so black basketball team attending a KKK conference. Trump and Pence have been at war with women and LGBT from the outset. That Trump would want to bask in their glory is hypocritical in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The USA womens soccor team may have some attitude but they deliver.

Water John wrote: »
    The USA womens soccor team may have some attitude but they deliver.

The anti-TRumpers seem desperate for any victory, however pyrrhic ..

So whilst Trump Administration supporters celebrate 244,000 new jobs in June and 3% wage growth,
    the anti-TRumpers are celebrating that a lesbian who wont sing the US National Anthem won a football world cup.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Last time you posted this campaign fodder, I asked you, "What would you have done in 2008" with the economy in crisis. Well? Would you have let the banks fail and implemented austerity as the economy was losing 800,000 jobs per month and per the SecTreas at the time, needed an 800 billion $ infusion in December 2008 to keep from seizing up?

Remember that the tGOP had both houses of Congress from 2010 through 2016. So, who put those budgets through?

Note that a big chunk of this deficit (and as we know, deficits don't matter to anyone, Republican or Democrat) came from paying for GWB's middle-east adventures on the books, rather than what he'd done

Really the economy today is a false thing; it's driven by cheap money. Productivity hasn't gone up, and wages are stagnant, plus a lot of the jobs aren't great quality - better than unemployment, but do you urge kids to go to college so they can end up working the gig economy? Baristas and uber drivers?

In 2018 the US Labour Department reported wage growth was over 3% .

In 2018 the US labour Department reported ANNUAL WAGE GROWTH REACHED ITS HIGHEST IN 9 YEARS..

And last weeks wage growth numbers for June were again over 3% .

THERE IS NOTHING STAGNANT ABOUT 3% WAGE GROWTH 2 YEARS RUNNING ... NOTHING ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

RIGOLO wrote:
    So whilst Trump Administration supporters celebrate 244,000 new jobs in June and 3% wage growth, the anti-TRumpers are celebrating that a lesbian who wont sing the US National Anthem won a football world cup.

What age are you?

The anti-TRumpers seem desperate for any victory, however pyrrhic ..

So whilst Trump Administration supporters celebrate 244,000 new jobs in June and 3% wage growth,
    the anti-TRumpers are celebrating that a lesbian who wont sing the US National Anthem won a football world cup.

Why is her sexuality and ability to sing so important to you ?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Why is her sexuality and ability to sing so important to you ?

I didnt say her sexuality was important to me... your jumping on a point that doesnt exist.

I said it seemed a big deal to the anti-TRumpers...

see below .....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement