Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

CNN reading the tea leaves of Trump's latest comment about Rudy:
    Q. "Is Mr. Giulani still your personal attorneyl?"
    Trump: "I don't know, I haven't spoken to him lately. I spoke with him yesterday. He's a very good attorney and he has been my attorney, yeah sure."

Might be Rudy gets thrown under the bus soon. Yet another victim of "Everything Trump touches, dies."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joyce-vance-donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-under-the-bus_n_5da186f4e4b06ddfc51a481a

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

everlast75 wrote: »
    If trump says he knows something, it means he knows nothing about it.

If trump says he knows nothing, it means he knows something, and its always something bad

Most knowledgeable man in the world

While at the same time being a complete idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

That article is funny:
    "Trump always has tells, right?” Vance replied. “

Yeah, Vance, of course. They are:

1. Mouth open: Lying

2. Mouth closed: Thinking up next lie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Igotadose wrote: »
    CNN reading the tea leaves of Trump's latest comment about Rudy:
    Q. "Is Mr. Giulani still your personal attorneyl?"
    Trump: "I don't know, I haven't spoken to him lately. I spoke with him yesterday. He's a very good attorney and he has been my attorney, yeah sure."

Might be Rudy gets thrown under the bus soon. Yet another victim of "Everything Trump touches, dies."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joyce-vance-donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-under-the-bus_n_5da186f4e4b06ddfc51a481a
    The parallel with his attitude to Cohen just before he got collared is identical

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

duploelabs wrote: »
    The parallel with his attitude to Cohen just before he got collared is identical

And to top it all off...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183037520503885824?s=19

Rudy probably has 48 hours before he's just a covfefe boy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sheer weight of allegations hasn't dethroned Trump yet, it would seem we need something cast iron and deadly serious to see any chance of impeachment and I am not sure this Ukraine / Hunter Biden stuff meets the very high bar the GoP Senate would set to vote to convict should Trump go on trial in the Senate after the House Inquiry finishes. It's testament to the craziness in the US at the moment that Trump is still there, but I don't see anything changing due to Ukraine. The good news is this does seem to be impacting the publics perception of Trump and recent polls show a majority in favour of his impeachment. I still feel 2020 at the ballot box is the only way 45 is going to leave the Whitehouse, I hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see trump is cursing at his rally's now. He's also saying he doesn't know the former Ukrainian ambassador even though in the call transcript he clearly knows who she was.

And yet he censors himself when saying the word jockstrap. He's a walking talking oxymoron (or just moron if you're into the whole brevity thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Inquitus wrote: »
    I still feel 2020 at the ballot box is the only way 45 is going to leave the Whitehouse, I hope I am wrong.

So a Trump 2020 win is out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So a Trump 2020 win is out of the question?

Nope, just saying that I don't see him being forced out or resigning in the interim, the first real opportunity to get rid of him will be the 2020 election. I think he's lost a lot of those blue collar people he hoodwinked into voting for him in the rust belt, hard to see him winning the likes of Michigan and Minnesota again, but not impossible. Depends on who is running against him as well, a lot of gorund to cover in the next 12 months that can change everything.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sheer weight of allegations hasn't dethroned Trump yet, it would seem we need something cast iron and deadly serious to see any chance of impeachment and I am not sure this Ukraine / Hunter Biden stuff meets the very high bar the GoP Senate would set to vote to convict should Trump go on trial in the Senate after the House Inquiry finishes. It's testament to the craziness in the US at the moment that Trump is still there, but I don't see anything changing due to Ukraine. The good news is this does seem to be impacting the publics perception of Trump and recent polls show a majority in favour of his impeachment. I still feel 2020 at the ballot box is the only way 45 is going to leave the Whitehouse, I hope I am wrong.

Its has never been about the evidence (and my god there is no shortage of it) as much as it's about the WILL. Only when enough Republicans have had enough of this travesty of a presidency, where the once cast iron reputation of the US lies in tatters, will Trump be dumped.

It's probably not how the system of checks and balances envisioned by the founding fathers was supposed to work, but constitutional and legislative reform will have to wait, while the US tries to save itself from idiots first.

And I agree, despite everything, if political will doesnt change, then it's entirely possible that Trump could be reelected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

In other legal news, CNN today has a little article buried away in the corner that the Feds have dropped a case against an illegal firearms dealer because the dealer made a rather novel claim that the AR15 is not subject to federal regulation at all. The judge had a look at it, decided that the defendant was correct, and wrote an interim opinion on the matter. The ATF dropped the case before the opinion became permanent.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/us/ar-15-guns-law-atf-invs/index.html

The problem, now that folks have stopped assuming that the standard way of doing things is correct and now are actually looking at the details, is that the basis upon which the ATF (and basically the gun world in the US as a whole) operates is not supported in the actual law. US law treats one part of the firearm as the legal firearm, the receiver. It’s the bit right in the middle, the main structural component which tends to contain the magazine well, trigger mechanism, etc. You can replace barrels, springs, hammers, whatever as you will if they wear out, but the receiver requires all the paperwork of a new gun. The definition of “receiver” is found in the US Code. The problem is that whilst the definition is fine for the vast majority of firearms, there is no part of an AR15 (or a Steyr AUG, now I think about it) which meets the legal definition. The ATF took the “closest bit” (the lower receiver) to the definition and treated it as such in practice, but a receiver is clearly defined in the law, and there is nothing which matches that definition in an AR. Basically, the ATF decided without legal authorization to declare some piece of metal to be a firearm. It makes perfect practical sense why they would do so, but the bottom line is it has no legal authority to do so.

However, if the court finalized such a ruling, it would have all but destroyed US federal firearms law, pending new firearm legislation. It will be interesting to see if any legislators from either party pick up on for submission as a bill, before a case ends up actually going to a final opinion in court.

To me, the receiver has always been the part on the lower face of the bolt which "picks up" and pushes the next round from the top of the magazine [as the bolt moves forward] and feeds it into the chamber. The concept of what the receiver is in US gun law is surprising. I could imagine the NRA are also scratching their combined heads at the finding.

aloyisious wrote: »
    To me, the receiver has always been the part on the lower face of the bolt which "picks up" and pushes the next round from the top of the magazine [as the bolt moves forward] and feeds it into the chamber. The concept of what the receiver is in US gun law is surprising. I could imagine the NRA are also scratching their combined heads at the finding.

Indeed. In fact you can readily get "receiver extensions" (or buffers) for AR15's so it's hardly an alien concept to the industry. I would gave thought that any reasonable test of what a receiver was in an AR15 could be satisfied easily.

Could simply be a corrupt Judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

70,000 Isis families about to be let loose, an ally betrayed and about to be radicalised, ISIS empowered. American kids died thinking they were fighting for something, not for the first time.

This is your foreign policy when you let a real estate huckster into the White House. There have been a lot of shameful days in US history but these have to be amoung the worst.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more of the MAGA/Anti-Trumper generalisations and argumentum via Twitter stuff please. Posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

duploelabs wrote: »
    But you haven't. You pop in here to drop propaganda or baseless gossip from sources that's as baseless as Trump's moral core and then when challenged, you scarper off

Propaganda? lol. What is it with you lot and labelling any information that doesn't fit your narrative as propaganda, it's laughable.

This is obviously a thread on Donald Trump's presidency, not a thread to just post negative comments about Trump on, but yet you'd swear that is just what it was by the reaction to any news being posted which isn't hating on the man and his administration.

I'm very sorry that you (and those that endorsed your view by thanking your post) feel that posting news on the building of the new barrier wall is propaganda, it is not, it's something which he ran on and so promises that were made are being kept and no matter how much you try and silence that, or laughably suggest that it's not new as it's just replacing old fencing, it won't make a hill of beans of a difference as it's getting done.

As for gossip, don't make me laugh. This thread has been full of gossip since Trump took office, or do you think posts saying he's delusional, or losing his mind every few posts are based on fact? Not to mention all the baloney surrounding Russiagate for heaven sake and accusations of treason. But I can assure that what you're actually referencing is far from gossip, and the John Durham report will make that very clear.

So get excited by these partisan leaks all ye like, and inaccurately call them whisteblowers if you want too, and how it's more evidence that 'the walls are closing in' but the truth is that it's all just Obama holdovers from a corrupt era that haven't yet accepted that Hillary lost and are doing everything in their power to try and oust Trump from office before it gets exposed that some within the Obama administration (maybe even the great man himself if Clapper's recent words are anything to go by) went way too far trying to influence how the public voted in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Indeed. In fact you can readily get "receiver extensions" (or buffers) for AR15's so it's hardly an alien concept to the industry. I would gave thought that any reasonable test of what a receiver was in an AR15 could be satisfied easily.

Could simply be a corrupt Judge.

I posted a question on another site asking for manual on AR15 so I could see what the judgement was about and was given this link:

https://www.radicalfirearms.com/v/vspfiles/images/sim.pdf

The images on page 43 & 44 refer. The part before the court for decision is the one on the lower left of page 43.

I suppose you can understand the Judges confusion over the thing that looks like a receiver on the page titled "Lower Receiver" being actually called a receiver.

The ambiguity over lower, upper or complete seems spurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Rachel Maddow''s report on MSNBC last night was brilliant. And the piece within her report that had a lady reporting on Pompeo and holding his feet to the fire would surely have raised the cockles of Shep Smith''s heart.. And needless to say Pompeo''s performance was pathetic. Maddow's reporting was based on facts rather than the opinionated propaganda bollixology that characterises Fox Opinion talking heads which will henceforth describe Fox now that the its News division has been eviscerated by Shep's departure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I suppose you can understand the Judges confusion over the thing that looks like a receiver on the page titled "Lower Receiver" being actually called a receiver.

The ambiguity over lower, upper or complete seems spurious.

No, the problem is that the receiver is officially defined. If it meets that definition, it doesn’t matter if the part is called a “tahootie” in a diagram, it’s a receiver under the law.

Unfortunately, there is no part of an AR15 which meets the definition of receiver which is, as codeified, “That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.” You won’t find such a component on an FNC either, and arguably not an AUG. The definition was written decades ago, and is not up to date with modern designs.

This leads us to one of two possible outcomes. 1). Federal agencies start making up their own definitions as to what is a certain thing, subject to no particular oversight or appeal. Under this principle, the ATF could arbitrarily call your bicycle a receiver and make it subject to gun control legislation. This is, in practice, what has happened, though obviously not as exaggerated as bicycles. Still, they started with a piece of metal which did not meet the definition of “receiver” and called it one anyway. However, US jurisprudence does not like cases where it is not made perfectly clear what is and what is not permitted, nor does it like it when agencies exceed the scope of what congress has taken upon itself to do. Or, 2), exactly what has happened, the defense was made, and the case dropped, the defendant walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

70,000 Isis families about to be let loose, an ally betrayed and about to be radicalised, ISIS empowered. American kids died thinking they were fighting for something, not for the first time.

This is your foreign policy when you let a real estate huckster into the White House. There have been a lot of shameful days in US history but these have to be amoung the worst.

Trump said he withdrew US troops becasue US cannot be the worlds policemen

Well
    1.US let the Kurds fight ISIS ..not US or western soldiers..and 13,000 Kurds were killed

2.US has done nothing to win a political solution to the problems of The Kurds and Syria .They have just betrayed an ally and for what ......How difficult was it to stay in border posts

3. Who will ISIS or Al-Qaeda mark 2 come after when they escape from jail and regroup but US citizens anywhere

4.Already the Turks are committing atrocities and Trump is looking the other way. He must be getting some personal pay back

Report tonight : "Turkish state-backed media hails a “successful operation” to “neutralize” an unarmed 35-year old woman working to unite Arabs, Christians, and Kurds in NE Syria. Ms. Hevrin Khalef was reportedly dragged from a vehicle and shot to death. That’s a war crime".

Only an idiot or a corrupt self server would have withdrawn US troops from Northern Syria without a settlement in place .... Trump can get away with the first but hopefully not the second for much longer.The man is a stain on World politics denying climate charge and happy to sell US policy for personal advancement

All the clap trap on here excusing him and pointing the finger at Obama is unsubstantiated deflecting rubbish

The sooner the US gets rid of this ignorant narcissistic man child the better for the world

I hate that he has a hotel complex in Co.Clare

One day and soon Trump will be a paraya to all right minded people everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Under this principle, the ATF could arbitrarily call your bicycle a receiver and make it subject to gun control legislation.

A bicycle is just a few sten receivers welded together and some wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No, the problem is that the receiver is officially defined. If it meets that definition, it doesn’t matter if the part is called a “tahootie” in a diagram, it’s a receiver under the law.

Unfortunately, there is no part of an AR15 which meets the definition of receiver which is, as codeified, “That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.” You won’t find such a component on an FNC either, and arguably not an AUG. The definition was written decades ago, and is not up to date with modern designs.

This leads us to one of two possible outcomes. 1). Federal agencies start making up their own definitions as to what is a certain thing, subject to no particular oversight or appeal. Under this principle, the ATF could arbitrarily call your bicycle a receiver and make it subject to gun control legislation. This is, in practice, what has happened, though obviously not as exaggerated as bicycles. Still, they started with a piece of metal which did not meet the definition of “receiver” and called it one anyway. However, US jurisprudence does not like cases where it is not made perfectly clear what is and what is not permitted, nor does it like it when agencies exceed the scope of what congress has taken upon itself to do. Or, 2), exactly what has happened, the defense was made, and the case dropped, the defendant walked away.

Wouldn't this all make it easier to ban it as a non firearm then ....

Could be defined as a lethal toy.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1183189748757778432?s=19

So it WAS a quid pro quo after all!!!!! *

Well, I'm sure the folks in here and elsewhere who hung their hat on it not being one as their reason why Trump should not be impeached feel mighty silly **

*which we all knew all along

** it doesn't need to be quid pro quo anyway. The words printed out by the WH are enough, nevermind what came after it

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181560772255719424?s=19

Does he think people have forgotten that Trump dictated to his own doctor the words to be in his medical report? "His own tweet" indeed. We now know he spoke to trump in the five hour gap. Anyone believe he wasn't told what to say?

"Where republicans rights have been taken away..."

Would it be excessively trite of me to mention that it was Republicans who changed this law to strengthen the standing of the majority in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No it's been mentioned plenty by commentators aswell. There should be a hashtag made of just republican things when it comes to hypocrisy.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

So much for Sondland vindicating the president then

Who would have thought that a hotelier whose sole qualifications appear to be that he donated 1m dollars through various LLCs to Trump's campaign would *not* be suited to an international ambassadorial role!?

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1183189748757778432?s=19

So it WAS a quid pro quo after all!!!!! *

Well, I'm sure the folks in here and elsewhere who hung their hat on it not being one as their reason why Trump should not be impeached feel mighty silly **

*which we all knew all along

** it doesn't need to be quid pro quo anyway. The words printed out by the WH are enough, nevermind what came after it

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181560772255719424?s=19

Does he think people have forgotten that Trump dictated to his own doctor the words to be in his medical report? "His own tweet" indeed. We now know he spoke to trump in the five hour gap. Anyone believe he wasn't told what to say?

I couldn't read the article because its behind a paywall, but from another tweet...

https://twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1183183494622646272?s=19

Who would have thought that a hotelier whose sole qualifications appear to be that he donated 1m dollars through various LLCs to Trump's campaign would *not* be suited to an international ambassadorial role!?

All the more ironic that the same hotelier then tells us that a 48 year old Yale law school graduate is not qualified to sit on the board of a company.

• Advertisement

I'd say the Sondland text was worded by Pompeo - he was on clean up duty for this mess. He made a sudden trip to Brussells at the start of September, and from clips I've seen, the phrase "crystal clear" is one of his readily identifiable ticks.

His efforts to obstruct the impeachment inquiry could be as much about saving his own skin as Trumps (who is already a dead man walking)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement