Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

everlast75 wrote: »
    I couldn't read the article because its behind a paywall, but from another tweet...

https://twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1183183494622646272?s=19

H.M.V.

No, the problem is that the receiver is officially defined. If it meets that definition, it doesn’t matter if the part is called a “tahootie” in a diagram, it’s a receiver under the law.

Unfortunately, there is no part of an AR15 which meets the definition of receiver which is, as codeified, “That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.” You won’t find such a component on an FNC either, and arguably not an AUG. The definition was written decades ago, and is not up to date with modern designs.

This leads us to one of two possible outcomes. 1). Federal agencies start making up their own definitions as to what is a certain thing, subject to no particular oversight or appeal. Under this principle, the ATF could arbitrarily call your bicycle a receiver and make it subject to gun control legislation. This is, in practice, what has happened, though obviously not as exaggerated as bicycles. Still, they started with a piece of metal which did not meet the definition of “receiver” and called it one anyway. However, US jurisprudence does not like cases where it is not made perfectly clear what is and what is not permitted, nor does it like it when agencies exceed the scope of what congress has taken upon itself to do. Or, 2), exactly what has happened, the defense was made, and the case dropped, the defendant walked away.

It'd be better if the defined word used in the law [receiver] was deleted and replaced with "chamber" as it suits the purpose of being a container for a part or parts. The word housing could alternatively be used directly before “That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel" for legal definition purposes seeing as its already used in that inverted-commas sentence. US fire-arms producers, dealers and smiths would be legally obliged to use the chosen word when making any reference to the section of a fire-arm containing the above parts. Housing is already in use when specific reference is made to the barrel-group on LMG & HMG firearms so there is another precedence for its use. As M_M says, update the wording to suit the day. Now I'll step away from this and back to Don & Co's arcane works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'd say the Sondland text was worded by Pompeo - he was on clean up duty for this mess. He made a sudden trip to Brussells at the start of September, and from clips I've seen, the phrase "crystal clear" is one of his readily identifiable ticks.

His efforts to obstruct the impeachment inquiry could be as much about saving his own skin as Trumps (who is already a dead man walking)

I can't quite figure Sondland out in all this.. Is it that he has had a Pauline conversion and is trying to ensure the 'truth' gets out, or is he setting up a Corey Lewandosky type hearing where he can belittle Dem efforts to get to that 'truth'?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

An interesting sunday read here about the 'oranges' of the majority of Trump's conspiracy theories

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-invention-of-the-conspiracy-theory-on-biden-and-ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

duploelabs wrote: »
    An interesting sunday read here about the 'oranges' of the majority of Trump's conspiracy theories

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-invention-of-the-conspiracy-theory-on-biden-and-ukraine

You knows what they say… the virtue is the sin.

Here are stories about it from all the way, way back to 2014/15

Not what one might call right wing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/world/europe/corruption-ukraine-joe-biden-son-hunter-biden-ties.html

John Kerry’s step son cuts ties after Biden takes roll in Burisma
    https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/27/john-kerry-son-email-hunter-biden/

ABC asked then Obama press secretary about it.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/09/29/flashback_abcs_jon_karl_asked_obama_wh_about_appearance_of_a_conflict_with_hunter_biden_and_ukraine_in_2014.html

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    You knows what they say… the virtue is the sin.

Here are stories about it from all the way, way back to 2014/15

Not what one might call right wing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/world/europe/corruption-ukraine-joe-biden-son-hunter-biden-ties.html

John Kerry’s step son cuts ties after Biden takes roll in Burisma
    https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/27/john-kerry-son-email-hunter-biden/

ABC asked then Obama press secretary about it.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/09/29/flashback_abcs_jon_karl_asked_obama_wh_about_appearance_of_a_conflict_with_hunter_biden_and_ukraine_in_2014.html

What a load of link drops that tel us absolutely nothing. The NYTimes one is behind a paywall and the other two simply report that some people asked some questions... I don;t know what your post was trying to achieve, but I cant see that it achieved anything..

If you have a point to make, can I suggest that you make it and provide evidence to support it. Simply dropping links and expecting other members to follow the links and try to establish what it is that you are trying to say, is surely against the forum's charter. But I'm not a mod so, maybe I'm wrong and someone in charge can enlighten us.

I follow this forum while on my mobile and having to page through a load of extraneous ****e on a small screen is a big issue for me. I really wish ppl would post stuff that is relevant to the point and not all these deflections and rabbit holes that are designed to solely obfuscate and confuse.

Grrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

(Link soup)

These articles do no more than raise an eyebrow at the ethics of Hunter Biden taking the role in Ukraine. It's another thing entirely to prosecute an 18 month misinformation campaign to paint Joe Biden as an underworld kingpin, forcing the poor Ukrainians to bankroll his son. And it's a new kind of low to harass a diligent, professional diplomat out of her job because she wont play along with your Deception.
    And its worthy of impeachment to go even further and bribe the leader of a foreign country to go that extra step and deliver dirt, manufactured if necessary, to help out your campaign.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I can't quite figure Sondland out in all this.. Is it that he has had a Pauline conversion and is trying to ensure the 'truth' gets out, or is he setting up a Corey Lewandosky type hearing where he can belittle Dem efforts to get to that 'truth'?

Or that he got in over his head in a world he didn't understand or realise and want's out now, that the players are into a whole other ballgame?

(Link soup)

These articles do no more than raise an eyebrow at the ethics of Hunter Biden taking the role in Ukraine. It's another thing entirely to prosecute an 18 month misinformation campaign to paint Joe Biden as an underworld kingpin, forcing the poor Ukrainians to bankroll his son. And it's a new kind of low to harass a diligent, professional diplomat out of her job because she wont play along with your Deception.
    And its worthy of impeachment to go even further and bribe the leader of a foreign country to go that extra step and deliver dirt, manufactured if necessary, to help out your campaign.

Very well said...and your post is a good summary of the reality of what's been going on vis a vis the Bidens and Ukraine.

Moving forward, I have no problem saying that, if Joe Biden did become POTUS, then Hunter Biden is going to have to suck it up and NOT get involved in any area that IN ANY WAY could be deemed to be ethically questionable.

If that causes Hunter a problem as a Private Citizen, then Tough Titty Hunter.. Blame Pop for having decided to serve his country in THAT position!

Now, APPLY THAT SAME STANDARD TO TRUMP AND HIS FAMILY! !!

aloyisious wrote: »
    TomOnBoard wrote: »

Or that he got in over his head in a world he didn't understand or realise and want's out now, that the players are into a whole other ballgame?

If you're right (and I hope you are) that Sondland may have had a Pauline conversion, then I look forward to his testimony this week. Regrettably, I still see his agreement to appear as a Trump (and his henchmen) ambush of the Committee by Sondland. I hope you're right and that I'm wrong!

• Advertisement

I'd doubt sondland has a grand plan for any of this. He is a corrupt businessman who has paid his way into this world to line his own pockets ( with some bonus ego-stroking thrown in) That hasn't worked out, so it's on to damage limitation and "stay out of jail" mode.

In the latest mess that Don stuck his knowledge into [Syria] the US is now pulling out all its troops. Coincidentally the actual Syrian Govt army, [as distinct from the militia group that's been using a similar title as a nom de guerre while co-operating with the Turkish forces which invaded Syrian territory] is now moving to engage that invading Turkish ground force. I wondered how the US would get its troops out and see it built two airbases [Rimelan and Kobani] in the area the Kurds took during the fight against Daesh/Isis. If they are exiting through those bases, then its a double-slap in the face of the Kurds. There's also the US base which was undergoing construction in Shedaddi, for the fight against Daesh/Isis. Shedaddi also reportedly has large deposits of gas and oil. The info is from the Syrian Democratic Forces.

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201610041045991523-syria-us-airbase/

I looked askance at the title Sputniknews as the former USSR had a magazine out in the 70's called sputnik giving a Russian USSR slant on news etc benefitting the USSR.

With the US pull-out, if the bases are not kept under the control of the international military force the US WAS a part of, they will likely fall into the hands of whichever force gains control of the region the bases are in, along with the gas and oil resources there. God, and Don, alone knows whether he factored those bases and resources into whatever plan of action he is following in his strategic decisions for the US there. The bases and oil/gas make the area very attractive to an invader if he can get the Kurds out of the way. It'd be nice to know if the US had any plans to render the bases into rubble during their pull-out or will the US base Comdrs be ordered to hand them over intact for the quid pro quo of being allowed to pull out without hindrance or casualties.

What is it with you lot and labelling any information that doesn't fit your narrative as propaganda, it's laughable.

Who is the "YOU LOT" to whom you refer?

Like, have you analysed all the posts made here by every poster and decided that EVERYONE other than you comprises "YOU LOT"?

If so, perhaps there's a message there... As the Granny said when the Soldiers were in the big march after coming back from the war....

"They're ALL out of step EXCEPT our Johnny..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Cody montana

everlast75 wrote: »

That can’t be real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That can’t be real?

Why can't it?

The man is the living embodiment of a troll.

Literally if you took all the trolls together and brought it into one physical form trump is it.

He's intent on winding people up so they are busy giving out about that rather than the serious corruption that he is getting away with

The Turkish phone call transcripts need to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That can’t be real?

It was shown at a pro-Trump conference in a Trump resort, and the conference was attended by Don Jr.

It's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Penn wrote: »
    It was shown at a pro-Trump conference in a Trump resort, and the conference was attended by Don Jr.

It's real.

Thanks for filling in that blank.

I notice trump tries to remain one step removed from appalling stuff like this. He wasn't there himself but it appears to have his seal of approval by virtue of the fact that his son is in attendance and its shown at the family property.

Really disgusting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Penn wrote: »

It's real.

Unbelievable. Joseph Goebbels couldn't do any better in the drip drip radicalisation of the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If it's intended to bolster support amongst ordinary Americans then it will do the opposite. If it's aimed at angry and childish idiots (aka his core base) then it will be a tremendous hit. The good ol boys will love it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know that we're supposed to play the ball, not the man, but in light of that shared video the claims by an erstwhile poster that the 'MAGA' crowd are beacons of civility compared to the rabid left, are ringing in my ears.

But then I suppose this is probably another example of that peerless sense of humour in play; that it's just their frustration at that pesky biased media. Just looking for fairness, aren't they? And how isn't it any different from <insert meme here>. Words don't kill people, Leftists do. Etc.

It's only going to get worse from here, and if the 2020 election cycle doesn't explode in violence at some point, it'll be a minor miracle & I'll have grossly misjudged the mood of the GOP Ultras.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I'm sure someone will say though that it's all hyperbole, or taken out of context. Words and symbols don't actually mean anything, after all

Trump himself has endorsed this sort of thing though hasn't he, wasn't there some tweet before where he posted a photoshop of a 'trump train' driving over the media? Like near the start of his presidency, so 100 years ago or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

No doubt the people who were up in arms over Kathy Griffin holding up Trump's severed head will be equally outraged over this
    of course they won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If it's intended to bolster support amongst ordinary Americans then it will do the opposite. If it's aimed at angry and childish idiots (aka his core base) then it will be a tremendous hit. The good ol boys will love it.

Why do you think his supporters are only 'good old boys'. They're our (US citizen here) cousins, former neighbors, acquaintances, ... Maybe 'good ol' boys' in spirit I suppose...

Trump is the symptom, not the problem. The President is what the country is becoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sam Donaldson saying the Senate impeaches Trump if public opinion's strong enough for them to do that. Sam's not too happy with Trump.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/sam-donaldson-trump-supporters-have-fixation-on-returning-america-to-a-white-christian-country/

So Sam Donaldson wants to reframe the Senate as some sort of X Factor -like TV call in show to decide guilt or innocence?

They have a legal duty to decide guilt or innocence solely on the law and the evidence presented: not on the whim of the public.

If the Republicans fail to do so then the constitutional crisis that follows is something the public can get involved in!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So Sam Donaldson wants to reframe the Senate as some sort of X Factor -like TV call in show to decide guilt or innocence?

They have a legal duty to decide guilt or innocence solely on the law and the evidence presented: not on the whim of the public.

If the Republicans fail to do so then the constitutional crisis that follows is something the public can get involved in!

Sadly , tragically, he's absolutely 100% right though..

Right/Wrong , Facts and Evidence mean absolutely nothing in the US right now.

The ONLY thing that matters is public opinion.

There is NO evidence that would make the GOP Senate impeach Trump as long as that evidence does not shift his support. If his GOP voter support remains up in the 80/90% range he is literally untouchable.

It's not Trump supporters that would allow him to get away with shooting someone on 5th avenue , it's the GOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That video is disgraceful. Who's the person at the start that "trump" is attacking ? Also is that John McCain at the very end of the video ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That video is disgraceful. Who's the person at the start that "trump" is attacking ? Also is that John McCain at the very end of the video ?

The first person is Peter Fonda who was a critic of Trump, yes the last was John McCain. Both of them died of cancer.
    Classy video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Itssoeasy wrote: »

McCain
    Obama
    Romney
    Kathy Griffin
    All MSM that has ever said boo about Trump
    I'm sure there's loads I missed, I wasn't going to watch it again to jot down the names.

Basically anybody that has ever spoken out against him features as getting shot, stabbed or beaten. Junior and Sarah Sanders were both at the event to see it, along with other fanboys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement