Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

The US has zero foreign policy credibility any more, no-one trusts them or believes a word they say, this is even before the Kurds were thrown under the bus. I'd say Erdogan told Pence what he wanted to hear, without any intention of easing up on the invasion.

When you campaign under the banner 'America First' you send out the green light to despots everywhere. Turkey First, NK First, SA First, etc, why should they care if the US doesn't?

Someone here, unbelievably, said a while back:

"I don't see how debasing the office of the presidency affects anyone for example."

This latest tragedy is just another example oh how debasing the Presidency effects people.

Sadly so very true. I have siad it before and what is happening with Kurds is a classic example. Like it or not the person who is president of the USA is the most powerful person on the planet. What that person does will impact to a greater or lesser extent the world not just the US. So when the president of the US is an authoritarian leaning demagogue that is very bad news for all of us not just the US people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Playing around with the map based on Moody's predictions

That's 351 most likely scenario

PhadpXw.jpg

If we go on what states Trump's currently underwater approval wise it looks like this

75NVo9K.jpg

Obviously it's highly unlikely a Dem nominee wins places like Utah, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska regardless of Trump's approval in those states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Playing around with the map based on Moody's predictions

That's 351 most likely scenario

PhadpXw.jpg

If we go on what states Trump's currently underwater approval wise it looks like this

75NVo9K.jpg

Obviously it's highly unlikely a Dem nominee wins places like Utah, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska regardless of Trump's approval in those states.

State wide North Carolina voted basically 50 50 in the mid terms between Republicans and Democrats so the Democrats winning that state next November while an upset is not a long shot by any means. Especially since the gerrymandering of that states congressional seats by the state Republican government was so extreme that despite the more of less 50 50 state wide vote Republicans won 10 of the states 13 congressional seats. I would think as a result the Democrats will be very motivated in North Carolina as a result of the Republicans extreme corruption in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

everlast75 wrote: »
    I don't think the French president is being impeached....
    Maybe a year of Yellow Jacket riots counts towards that

Besides, an inquiry doesn't an impeachment make.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,565 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

biko wrote: »
    Maybe a year of Yellow Jacket riots counts towards that

Besides, an inquiry doesn't an impeachment make.

The point, that was pretty clear, could otherwise be stated as "people in glass houses..."

If that doesn't work for you, "self praise is no praise" applies too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

This is from Moody's in 2016

"Clinton is forecast to pick up 332 Electoral College votes against 206 for Republican Donald Trump, Moody’s Analytics predicted on Tuesday in the final update of its model before Election Day on Nov. 8. That would match Obama’s margin of victory over Republican challenger Mitt Romney in 2012."

I wouldn't put much weight behind any forecast of the election just yet. We don't even know who the democratic candidate is, which would be very important to making any kind of sound prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Jamiekelly wrote: »

I wouldn't put much weight behind any forecast of the election just yet. We don't even know who the democratic candidate is, which would be very important to making any kind of sound prediction.

Exactly this. Not only do we not know who the candidate will be but there's loads more important variables that we don't know about yet. It's stupid to be making predictions at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,773 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It looks like Giuliani, Di Genova, Toensing, Firtash, Parnas, Fruman, Shorkin and Giuliani may have been up to some shenanigans.

To Win Giuliani’s Help, Oligarch’s Allies Pursued Biden Dirt

Some of this stuff has already been reported but it's interesting to see all these people in the one story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Still lots of Obama holdovers in the DOJ it seems, still smarting for Hillary's loss.
    everlast75 wrote: »
    Fox News going to bat against DJT again.
    Again, nothing new in that, Fox News has always had a good variety of opinions, unlike CNN who clearly have a party line to adhere to, as evidenced by the CNN whistleblower footage. You keep posting up stuff which disproves your own 'sit down, son' prefaced assertions but views being expressed against Trump are not the rarities you keep implying they are.

As for your comments about Hannity, I don't like the guy, nor Carlson. I like Dobbs, Watters, Levin, Ingraham, Bartiromo .. don't agree with them all the time, mind, but they're cool enough, sticking to the facts and not afraid to disagree with Trump when they feel he's made a bad decision or said something which should condemned.

Just on whole Mick Mulvaney presser he gave, have to laugh at how the left today are acting like he said something which now makes impeachment a certainty, but yet meanwhile, the Trump campaign started selling t-shirts with what he said to the press on the front :p
    goi2.png

Two different worlds it would seem and you know I guess what the left need to realise, to save themselves from even more of these failed 'We have him now!' moments (with regards to this whole quid pro quo palava) is that even if Trump came out tomorrow and said that there is no way he would have released the funds had Zelensky not agreed to cooperate with the Barr-Durham investigation, it still wouldn't mean all that much as he's entitled to make that call as POTUS, and for damn sure 67% of the current senate would not feel differently, so where is all this going? Nowhere, it's just the dems way of keeping his name associated with the negative rather than the positive and for sure it will backfire as the American public are sick of all this talk of impeachment for three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

[Im] sick of all this talk of impeachment for three years.

Suck it up, Pete. You will need considerably better t-shirts than that effort to stave of the certainty of a humiliating impeachment and subsequent convictions on the raft of charges waiting for him.

Sick as a parrot, to coin a phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Mitch McConnell has an Op-Ed article in the WaPo calling Don's decision to pull troops out of Syria a "grave mistake". Don meantime is happy with his actions in Syria and plans to complete his US troop pull-out, saying as well within the past few hours that "it's OK, we control the oil in the area". Congress is to consider a motion condemning Don's plan to use one of his resorts to house the next G-7 meeting, and it may be included amongst the impeachment articles against him. When the lead player of the party in office has to use to talk to its president via the paper media instead of the phone, it says a lot that megaphone diplomacy is the order of the day for that party.

Still lots of Obama holdovers in the DOJ it seems, still smarting for Hillary's loss.

Again, nothing new in that, Fox News has always had a good variety of opinions, unlike CNN who clearly have a party line to adhere to, as evidenced by the CNN whistleblower footage. You keep posting up stuff which disproves your own 'sit down, son' prefaced assertions but views being expressed against Trump are not the rarities you keep implying they are.

As for your comments about Hannity, I don't like the guy, nor Carlson. I like Dobbs, Watters, Levin, Ingraham, Bartiromo .. don't agree with them all the time, mind, but they're cool enough, sticking to the facts and not afraid to disagree with Trump when they feel he's made a bad decision or said something which should condemned.

Just on whole Mick Mulvaney presser he gave, have to laugh at how the left today are acting like he said something which now makes impeachment a certainty, but yet meanwhile, the Trump campaign started selling t-shirts with what he said to the press on the front :p

Two different worlds it would seem and you know I guess what the left need to realise, to save themselves from even more of these failed 'We have him now!' moments (with regards to this whole quid pro quo palava) is that even if Trump came out tomorrow and said that there is no way he would have released the funds had Zelensky not agreed to cooperate with the Barr-Durham investigation, it still wouldn't mean all that much as he's entitled to make that call as POTUS, and for damn sure 67% of the current senate would not feel differently, so where is all this going? Nowhere, it's just the dems way of keeping his name associated with the negative rather than the positive and for sure it will backfire as the American public are sick of all this talk of impeachment for three years.

You can joke but you spent a lot of keyboard clicks defending a position only to be under cut by the guy you were defending.

"GET OVER IT"

Wow! zingy! catchy! triggers the libs, eh?

Goes right along well with

"LOCK HER UP"

"DRAIN THE SWAMP"

amd

"BUILD THE WALL"

Tell me.... how did those work out for ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just on whole Mick Mulvaney presser he gave, have to laugh at how the left today are acting like he said something which now makes impeachment a certainty, but yet meanwhile, the Trump campaign started snip with what he said to the press on the front :p

There's a positive to associate his name to?

On the last point, yes I would agree with you. They want to see it happen (apart from the dwindling but unmovable minority who have no more notion of the meaning of statesmanship or diplomacy or integrity or anything else than their leader has).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Srsly. Congress and senate proposing bills to prevent Trump Doral for the G7: The Trump's Heist undermines the G-7 (THUG) Act.

A bill named after the President. Impressive.

https://frankel.house.gov/uploadedfiles/doral_bill.pdf

It'd be interesting if the other G-7 govt delegations declined to stay at the Trump facility and found their own rooms elsewhere on the grounds of security: eavesdropping. I wonder if the other Govts security teams are allowed sweep the chosen location for bugs to ensure their discussions before, during and after sessions are not overheard, when the locations are usually in hired facilities. Given the close relationship between the host country's president and the chosen facility this time, and how he like's to cut diplomatic corners, I'd be damn careful about casual chats if I were a foreign delegate staying at the proposed facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

67% of the Senate would not vote for impeachment because it would admit that the Republicans had supporter an obviously corrupt politician. If it was a Dem using his position to get dirt on an opponent they would be frothing at the mouth. A president is not allowed to make the call that to put political fighting ahead of the country. Which is what Trump did with the Ukraine.

Do you have evidence people are sick of impeachment talk? It seems more popular than ever as Pelosi tried to resist for some time.

The man is openly corrupt and wants to government funds for his own companies with the latest G7.

I really, really don't get the opinion of we won the vote so just accept the corruption, inability to think, or lead and the outright racism. This is not a bloody football game.

MSN is running a story about the shifting explanations for Don's gaffe. It seems disenhanted GOP members have decided to back calls for his impeachment. Scrolling down the story, it mentioned that Rick Perry has resigned as Energy Secretary and that Dan Brouillette, the Energy Dept assistant secretary is tapped by Don as his replacement. The Energy Dept has stated that it will not comply with subpoenas from the Congress investigating committees for documents they have asked for. Edit: The story on MSN is from the AP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I quickly googled Brouillete, and I was quite shocked to see that he doesn't appear to have any immediate ties or history with the fossil fuel industry. A VC at Ford for a while so maybe something there in a tenuous sense, but honestly I was so used to that administration being stacked with shills and lobbyists, someone in Energy not obviously dripping with vested interest is in itself, a shock.

Still though. Rick Perry. No grouping or admin can claim competency with that thundering idiot in your ranks. That he has ended the most long lasting probably speaks to his inefficacy and harmlessness.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I quickly googled Brouillete, and I was quite shocked to see that he doesn't appear to have any immediate ties or history with the fossil fuel industry. A VC at Ford for a while so maybe something there in a tenuous sense, but honestly I was so used to that administration being stacked with shills and lobbyists, someone in Energy not obviously dripping with vested interest is in itself, a shock.

Still though. Rick Perry. No grouping or admin can claim competency with that thundering idiot in your ranks. That he has ended the most long lasting probably speaks to his inefficacy and harmlessness.

His resignation means the Administration cannot stop him testifying if he chooses. It also means he can take his personal documents and records from the Dept and it cant stop him. I'd like to see Don try to change the narrative of how Rick has left the administration and slam his reputation, like he did with other senior members who left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

A rare climb down on hosting the G7 at his (loss making, bed bug infested) golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A rare climb down on hosting the G7 at his (loss making, bed bug infested) golf club.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

duploelabs wrote: »
    Where?

BBC News - Trump abandons plan to host G7 summit at his Miami golf course after criticism
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50113732

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BBC News - Trump abandons plan to host G7 summit at his Miami golf course after criticism

The bedbugs will be disappointed.

Poor Mick Mulvaney (aka that "chap"). He was forced to go out and explain away Ukraine, was told not to say quid pro quo, got that wrong, told the world that 45 was going to host the G7 at Dural and try defend that to the press, only for Trump to go back on it.

Utterly humiliating. I truly hope he can.... "deal with it".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think this is quite a landmark. Don't believe Trump has had to climb down and reverse such a public decision before, or at least of this magnitude.
    That paper-thin ego must be stinging

duploelabs wrote: »
    I think this is quite a landmark. Don't believe Trump has had to climb down and reverse such a public decision before, or at least of this magnitude.
    That paper-thin ego must be stinging

Nothing like this has happened since his other climbdowns on:

* border security
    * census questions
    * Muslim ban
    * khashoggi murder condemnation
    * attacking Iran
    * defending kurds
    * funding the wall....

And that's only the first page of google. Please feel free to add.

The bedbugs will be disappointed.

In sure they are delighted with the break: there are only so many blood sucking insects that a hotel ecology can support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Nothing like this has happened since his other climbdowns on:

* border security
    * census questions
    * Muslim ban
    * khashoggi murder condemnation
    * attacking Iran
    * defending kurds
    * funding the wall....

And that's only the first page of google. Please feel free to add.
    Standing up to Saudi Arabia was also a campaign promise, just to add to it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement