Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

everlast75 wrote: »
    Poor Mick Mulvaney (aka that "chap"). He was forced to go out and explain away Ukraine, was told not to say quid pro quo, got that wrong, told the world that 45 was going to host the G7 at Dural and try defend that to the press, only for Trump to go back on it.

Utterly humiliating. I truly hope he can.... "deal with it".
    Mulvaney is also the one Trump yelled at for coughing. You’d think Mick would be tired of being humiliated by Trump by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He had no choice but to reverse that decision it was a clear violation of the emoluments clause and the location was totally unsuitable anyway, I’d say other heads of state wouldn’t have been happy. Mad how he could think that sort of carry on is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

MadYaker wrote:
    He had no choice but to reverse that decision it was a clear violation of the emoluments clause and the location was totally unsuitable anyway, I’d say other heads of state wouldn’t have been happy. Mad how he could think that sort of carry on is acceptable.

This is what happens when your brought up never being challenged on anything, always getting your way and have an internet full of apologists and talking heads defending and deflecting for you for 4 years. You can literally think you can get away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

More info coming out about the mueller probe.

Surprised to note the following.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1185986527836422146?s=19

While i have no doubt Mueller did cover well what he did cover, it appears to me that he didn't pursue avenues he should have. Whether roadblocks were put in his way or whether his investigation was called to a halt, maybe we will find out in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The same tactic they are trying again with the impeachment probe, don't testify.
    Anyone refusing to testify before a legally constructed public inquiry, should get jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

aloyisious wrote: »
    We've spent a fair bit of time here sparring over the bias of news channels and the media. This short clip of James Mattis [IMO] shows the capabilities of one person over another, plus that of the media.

No-one held a gun to any of these Trump cabinet officials to take the job. Not one. They took the jobs because they thought it would be good for themselves.

Then, Trump turned out to be exactly as he always was, and was predicted to be. And he turned on them. Again, unsurprising.

No sympathy for Mattis, nor any of them. And when it comes to Mattis' judgement, he was on the BOT of Theranos and a strong advocate for it's weird psycho-CEO Elizabeth Holmes. So, he can go feck off as far as I'm concerned, he might've been a good general but he has lousy judgement.

(TBF Holmes duped an enormous amount of people who were perceived to have good judgement, like Henry Kissinger and George Schultz. But Trump was *way* better known to all and sundry when he started his campaign)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ash Carter [former Def Sec] on CNN with Fareed Zakaria talking about the Kurds and Syria, how the last Admin had an agreement with the Kurds that the US would not have its Pers do the fighting, just logistics and training, leaving the ground war to them, that the Kurds were reminded of this daily. This left the Kurds do the town clearance battle against Isis. His opinion now is that if Isis gets a toehold again, the Kurds won't be there and US troops will have to do the bloody fighting to defeat Isis.

Left unsaid was what the cost will be if it comes to pass and on whom the blame will fall for the decision to abandon the Kurds to the mercies of the Turks. The next US Admin may well have to follow in the footsteps of Don Trump or be prepared to have its children fight and die on foreign soil to prevent a caliphate popping up again. US posterity due to how Don Trump and his team players want their interests to be protected. Maybe the Dems can use "we will not be callous when it comes to personal interest" as a slogan against Don's selling-out out the birth-right of future US generations for a mess of pottage and use it to persuade the voter to turn on the GOP .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

aloyisious wrote: »
    Ash Carter [former Def Sec] on CNN with Fareed Zakaria talking about the Kurds and Syria, how the last Admin had an agreement with the Kurds that the US would not have its Pers do the fighting, just logistics and training, leaving the ground war to them, that the Kurds were reminded of this daily. This left the Kurds do the town clearance battle against Isis. His opinion now is that if Isis gets a toehold again, the Kurds won't be there and US troops will have to do the bloody fighting to defeat Isis.

Left unsaid was what the cost will be if it comes to pass and on whom the blame will fall for the decision to abandon the Kurds to the mercies of the Turks. The next US Admin may well have to follow in the footsteps of Don Trump or be prepared to have its children fight and die on foreign soil to prevent a caliphate popping up again. US posterity due to how Don Trump and his team players want their interests to be protected. Maybe the Dems can use "we will not be callous when it comes to personal interest" as a slogan against Don's selling-out out the birth-right of future US generations for a mess of pottage and use it to persuade the voter to turn on the GOP .

If ISIS pops up with a caliphate again (maybe they're stupid enough to do so), and start harassing the Kurds, the Kurds won't stand aside. None of the players in the region (Iran, Russia, Syria, Turkey, Kurds) like ISIS. The US could avoid the mess completely. *However*, should ISIS get after a US ally in the region, like Israel or Saudi Arabia, the US'll be back.

Igotadose wrote: »
    If ISIS pops up with a caliphate again (maybe they're stupid enough to do so), and start harassing the Kurds, the Kurds won't stand aside. None of the players in the region (Iran, Russia, Syria, Turkey, Kurds) like ISIS. The US could avoid the mess completely. *However*, should ISIS get after a US ally in the region, like Israel or Saudi Arabia, the US'll be back.

It seems DOD/Mark Esper had different thoughts about the troops pull out from Syria than Don had in public. They are being re-deployed to Western Iraq and the American military will continue the fight in Syria against IS according to current plans outlined by Mark before his arrival in Afghanistan yesterday. It looks like the battle will continue from bases there. Now whether that will affect Don's electoral vote from the families of US troops remains to be seen. Where Syria is concerned, rumour has it that the Russians will be taking over the bases being evacuated by US troops, but the rumours might be an attempt to stir the ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Only one post today. Magnificent. Gives you a small taste of what life will be like once this stain is removed.

Whoa there nelly, whoa there. RTE has the Irish Times resident American reporter [Suzanne Lynch?] on the line. Seems the Washington rumour mill is speculating that Mick Mulvaney has only hours left in the job. There's one rumour in particular and that is that Mick got a rousing cheer at a White House staffers meeting today but that might have begun for one reason only.

Such an infantile, petty little...

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1186115176908517376?s=20

Will sure to be a hit amongst his anti-intellectual base of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1186115176908517376?s=20

Will sure to be a hit amongst his anti-intellectual base of course

Ah I don’t think the hair thing whilst on a phone call/transmission is a big deal, the not having facts and just saying stuff is ridiculous and what should be focused on.

everlast75 wrote:

I will give the benefit of the doubt on this one. He does it around 1:15 in the full clip when there is no reason to do it. Never noticed him do it before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,780 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did Huckabee forget all the alter egos trump has used?

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/mike-huckabee-compares-mitt-romney-to-perverts-like-carlos-danger-for-secret-twitter-account/

Tries to smear anyone with alternate accounts on twitter as defacto pervs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've often wondered about that armchair psychology thing where absent-mindedly using the middle finger, is some reveal of passive aggressiveness; it feels way too reductionist and just a little glib. Fair enough if journals and experts agree it IS some a'holery bubbling to the surface, but I have my doubts. There's ample enough evidence of Trump being an ignorant, vulgar man without inventing stuff (if indeed it is just an urban myth)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The middle finger thing is baloney imo, I do it often enough too.

I'm fairly sure we do it just cause it's easier to reach with it.

Overheal wrote: »
    Did Huckabee forget all the alter egos trump has used?

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/mike-huckabee-compares-mitt-romney-to-perverts-like-carlos-danger-for-secret-twitter-account/

Tries to smear anyone with alternate accounts on twitter as defacto pervs.

Certain trump supporters on here would be included in this "fact" surely given their claims that they have/had multiple Twitter accounts for example

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

pixelburp wrote: »
    absent-mindedly using the middle finger
    There is no way he is absent-mindedly doing it. It is so unnatural.

There's a photo somewhere of Michael Lowry doing (almost) exactly the same thing - pretending to scratch under his nose with his middle finger only.

This is a "fúck you" gesture - make no mistake about it.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »

There's a photo somewhere of Michael Lowry doing (almost) exactly the same thing - pretending to scratch under his nose with his middle finger only.

I've fixed my hair and in 40 odd years never used my middle finger.

On the other hand, I have pushed up my glasses with my middle finger with my mates and they knew what I was doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And like I said I'd be curious to know if experts in behaviour agree, because I don't 100% buy that every time it's done there's some meaning behind. Trump is a mendacious individual who has given ample evidence of his cretinous behaviour, but I'm not a behavioural scientist either so am undecided.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?465506-1/president-trump-kurds-very-happy-ceasefire

1:14 into video he does it, unless it was a dress rehearsal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Considering his age it's quite possible that it hurts to use his other fingure. I wouldn't read too much into it, probably textitus or arthritis.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?465506-1/president-trump-kurds-very-happy-ceasefire

1:14 into video he does it, unless it was a dress rehearsal.

That's true.

Why would he say "f*** you" to the kurds with a middle finger, when he did it in real life by pulling US forces out of Syria.....

everlast75 wrote:
    Why would he say "f*** you" to the kurds with a middle finger, when he did it in real life by pulling US forces out of Syria.....

What do you mean? They are really happy, even the hundreds of dead ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

FrostyJack wrote: »
    What do you mean? They are really happy, even the hundreds of dead ones.

They're very happy building sandcastles. They've got a lot of sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That's true.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106944168&postcount=5130

I wish you'd go back to being anti-war,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Thanks for pulling up that post. Excellent post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Their presence in Syria was preventing that area turning into what it is now? I don't see the contradiction. Did you really think this through?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement