Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

duploelabs wrote: »
    I do like the way that both Graham and McConnell have recently both broken ranks and started criticizing Trump, a good sign of things to come

No. They are both worried about re election. Both of them are up for election next year and both of them were instrumental in schemes like getting Kavanaugh to the bench over Garland. Don’t believe either of them feel truly safe in next years election; especially of Graham all I’ve seen for the last three years is a guy who talks out of both sides of his mouth like Trump: one minute Trump is a Kook that will ruin the party the next he’s the stable genius victim of a lynching. Those latter sound bytes keep his red base galvanized, when in prior years he’s actually had a target on his back for being too much of a RINO. As for McConnel he’s the most punchable face in Washington and I think he knows his political capital has waned dangerously thin in the last few years for clear reasons like Garland and all his “grim reaper” “one term president” coming to a head as right now his constituents have no trust in what he will do or not do next in terms of impeachment. These little “cracks” in their defense of Trump aren’t much, just enough for them to pretend to moderates that they still have sound judgement.

Make no mistake though these two are with Trump to the end of the line: either they both jump at the same time and Trump’s political career is axed via impeachment or they will both end up riding or dying on Trump’s campaign rally endorsements. Graham especially is a few Trump tweets away from the base reverting back to calling him a RINO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And just as damning from McConnell was after he'd said that he and Trump never spoke about the Ukraine call he was asked "Does that mean that Trump was lying then?"

His response was "You'd have to ask him" - Ouch!

If that was dead-pan, you've got to admire it. Catch22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

So if Trump is impeached and there's a trial in the senate will Trump have to be sat down at some point and grilled publicly for hours? I remember Bill Clinton was asked questions and the videos were released.

I would genuinely pay money to watch Trump in that situation for the entertainment value alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

peddlelies wrote: »
    So if Trump is impeached and there's a trial in the senate will Trump have to be sat down at some point and grilled publicly for hours? I remember Bill Clinton was asked questions and the videos were released.

I would genuinely pay money to watch Trump in that situation for the entertainment value alone.
    Would certainly beat the apprentice for ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 19,573 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

An analysis from a former federal prosecutor on the testimony yesterday. He said that if he was at trial, this was the testimony of a witness for the prosecution, and he was defending an accused, this would be the time he would lean across and ask to make a deal....

• Advertisement

Trump is in before the appeal court today fighting the release of tax returns, (the ones he promised to release). Here's hoping he gets his proverbial kicked by this judge too. The last one was scathing in the ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

everlast75 wrote: »
    An analysis from a former federal prosecutor on the testimony yesterday. He said that if he was at trial, this was the testimony of a witness for the prosecution, and he was defending an accused, this would be the time he would lean across and ask to make a deal....

The problem is this isnt a normal court case and the jury are not a random group of his peers. Its like putting a mafia boss on trial and allowing his captains to be the jury

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trump is in before the appeal court today fighting the release of tax returns, (the ones he promised to release). Here's hoping he gets his proverbial kicked by this judge too. The last one was scathing in the ruling.

This is the Mazar's case, which is at the grand jury stage. So, even if the returns are released, they won't be seen by the public unless there's a public trial, which is some time away (and even then they might not be.) This is about lying regarding spending campaign money on Stormy Daniels' silence. It's tough to keep up with all the lawsuits/indictments/charges swirling around Trump

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/23/politics/trump-tax-return-appeal/index.html

There’s no deal to make: if he does nothing he will be impeached and can’t be pardoned for his crimes, but if he resigns before then he is still on the hook for numerous state level indictments, especially in regard to the hush money payments his lawyer already is in jail for. Either way he’s ****ed rn - his only path forward is To thread the needle to fight impeachment and win re election. That way the statute of limitations on those 2016 crimes would have gone away, and the threat of impeachment will have gone away and he will be in the clear - you know assuming he doesn’t do something else criminal along the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

What is the implication for Joint Turkish/Russian border controls in Syria?

Is the Greek/Turkish border the new de facto border of NATO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nice cop out.

You are forever suggesting Trump's "base" is racist with little or nothing to back it up but that's what the left does whenever they have no other argument, start throwing around accusations of racism, but it's just lazy nonsense designed to discredit those that the left disagree with while also of course hoping to be seen as righteous while they do it.

You can't argue that someone is making a lazy generalisation by coming out with a lazy generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

amandstu wrote: »
    What is the implication for Joint Turkish/Russian border controls in Syria?

Is the Greek/Turkish border the new de facto border of NATO?

Arguably, yes. How can any NATO ally trust a Turkey that is clearly lying in Putin's arms? But that doesn't mean that Turkey should be allowed to renage on its commitments to NATO, having regard to the billions in aid and military support it has received over the decades. In the meantime, the US presence (including thousands of air personnel and estimated 50+ B51 nukes) at Incirlik will require a serious readiness upgrade and defensive arrangements.

Putin just gets more and more out of his Trumpuppet every day!

This is beyond ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/sambrodey/status/1187003099354931200?s=20

When Trump goes down, and he will, I hope these will be inextricably linked and go down with him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

It was an opportunistic crime. Trump was desperate. The fall out from the Mueller investigation implied that whenever he left office he would be charged with obstruction of justice. He knew he was in trouble and like a cornered animal he was willing to grasp anything which would keep him in office even if it meant engaging in “high crimes/misdemeanours”. The first strike in any conflict will usually leave the legacy, be it in warfare or even something as base as a headline like "Freddie Starr ate my hamster". The actual truth therein would be irrelevant, the Sun would be rake in the cash by selling millions of copies and a brief rebuttal buried in Page 10 days later stating Starr did not eat anyone’s hamster would cover themselves legally. It's a textbook tactic by manipulators i.e. get your "version" in first, even if your pants are on fire.

Part of Trump's desperation was his cronies understanding the 'hand' he was holding when Zelensky was voted in. New, inexperienced and maleable. Taking over in a country with a reputation for corruption and looking to ingratiate itself with the US. He would actively get his cronies involved in a clandestine key-stone cops operation by applying pressure on Zelensky and his representatives expressly to give them some dirt, any dirt. The front would be concern about corruption but the real prize would be a statement (the favour) from either Zelensky personally or from the Ukranian government that they would be investigating corruption. A crucial name drop of "Biden" was all that was wanted. With that and the fallout at home, "Corrupt Joe", who was actually not corrupt, would no longer be in the running for 2020 due to the smear and fallout within the Democrats ending his campaign due to the Ukranian bombshell.

Thus the likelihood of Trump staying in office (and out of prison) would increase as he would get mileage out of the non-story and would exploit Bidens exit as there being no smoke without fire when it came to the #Do Nothing Democrats. The mere idea of withholding $400m in pre-approved aid to a US ally, the entire purpose of which was to point at Russians, and use it to smear a political opponent is obviously a very serious crime. Taylor's testimony put's the impeachment case on a solid footing. Hopefully it marks Trumps political "event horizon". You just hope there is a shred of integrity present in GOP senators when the time comes to pull the proverbial trigger.

Trump live: lifting sanctions on Turkey due to ‘ceasefire’

Turkey has gotten everything it wanted - with none of the apoplectic economic peril that Trump warned about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

peddlelies wrote: »

There is video out there from a deposition that Trump did years ago for some legal trouble he was in and he actually performed pretty good and was credible. But he has told so many lies now he doesn't even know what is reality or fantasy:confused::confused:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    There is video out there from a deposition that Trump did years ago for some legal trouble he was in and he actually performed pretty good and was credible. But he has told so many lies now he doesn't even know what is reality or fantasy:confused::confused:

This one?

The one where either Trump is functionally illiterate or was deliberately wasting the time of the deposition.

I’ve already predicted his “reading glasses” will make a remarkable (and slow) reappearance when he is sworn in at his impeachment trial, like he is trying to run down a clock on everyone’s patience. Lewandowski showed him the way

Igotadose wrote: »
    This is the Mazar's case, which is at the grand jury stage. So, even if the returns are released, they won't be seen by the public unless there's a public trial, which is some time away (and even then they might not be.) This is about lying regarding spending campaign money on Stormy Daniels' silence. It's tough to keep up with all the lawsuits/indictments/charges swirling around Trump

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/23/politics/trump-tax-return-appeal/index.html

The hearing is going as well for Trump as yesterday's testimony did....

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1187049456744697857?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

listermint wrote: »
    No hold on a second. It's not silly arguments like this that got trump elected. It's hundreds of millions of dollars worth of lies poured into Facebook and then a hammering down of lies on national TV that got him elected.

It's not pc nonsense that got him elected . Painting over the past just because it suits ultra hard right agendas doesn't make it ok. The average voter understands lynching and knows how hopelessly wrong it is. It isn't pc to point that out. And you brushing aside the real reasons for trump to get elected are hilarious.

I'd wager this . If Facebook didn't exist trump wouldn't have ever made it past the primaries.

But somehow you think its people calling out racism as being the source of his election. Give me a break

I dunno. We agree on most things and this argument is already making me want to vote the other way to you.

Just read what i'm saying please.

And less of the 'give me a break' and 'christ on a bike' comments. If you're preaching about being respectful you should show some.

• Advertisement

Midlife wrote: »
    I dunno. We agree on most things and this argument is already making me want to vote the other way to you.

A vote out of spite against an anonymous netizen you didn’t like the tone of - the most self-principled reason to vote if ever there was one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The shenanigans by Gaetz and the gang delayed the hearing by 5 hours. Trump also knew in advance that it was to happen.

I'm very curious if there will be any meaningful consequences for this.

The shenanigans by Gaetz and the gang delayed the hearing by 5 hours. Trump also knew in advance that it was to happen.

I'm very curious if there will be any meaningful consequences for this.

Makes them look desperate. I wouldn’t have supported that show over Benghazi either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Midlife wrote: »

Just read what i'm saying please.

And less of the 'give me a break' and 'christ on a bike' comments. If you're preaching about being respectful you should show some.

I'm beginning to question the intellectual level of individuals on the internet..it's getting serious It may be best to turn the internet off for about two years.

Let the world recover

I'm beginning to question the intellectual level of individuals on the internet..it's getting serious It may be best to turn the internet off for about two years.

Let the world recover

Maybe Y2K could have saved us - both from social media and from global warming brought on by all those server racks mining bitcoin

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Let the world recover

Like i said, respect.

Read back through my posting history. By all means judge my intellectual level from that and not that I'm disagreeing with you now on this one issue.

You're being very very dismissive of whatever i say.

it seems simply because we don't agree on this it's all 'christ on bike', 'give me a break' and now it's about my intellectual level.

Like i say, it's very dismissive of me as an individual with my own opinions. You're also very very sure of yourself.

It simply shocks me that you can take someone who probably agrees with you on 99% of stuff (again check posting history) and after 3 back and forth comments, you're having pops at my intelligence and suggesting the internet is doomed - based on me. Check out my original comment and how utterly dismissively you responded to it and then ask yourself what value you are to reasoned debate when behaving like this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1187063301731209220

Approaching that scene in titanic when the ship splinters in two

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

marno21 wrote: »

Does the respirators refer to USSC judges or elderly senators?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

marno21 wrote: »

Melania's anti online bullying campaign is going well anyway, I see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement