Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

robinph wrote: »
    Thought they made that ruling a couple of years ago.

Breaking news on sky news website at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

H. Ross Perot died. Interesting character in US politics. Last time the US had any kind of a third party candidate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Breaking news on sky news website at the moment

Weird, there are articles with the same headline from 23rd May.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/23/trump-cant-block-twitter-followers-federal-judge-says.html

Ah, must have been the appeal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/donald-trump-twitter-block-us-court-ruling-latest-a8997151.html
    Donald Trump can't block people on Twitter, a US appeals court has found.
    Knowing Trump, he will take this all the way and when he loses, won't accept this.
    This guy needs democracy explained to him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I'm confused. I thought SCOTUS made rulings based on the constitution. Is that not the case?

If so, and I think it is, then it really doesn't matter what 70% of the people want. A majority of people want gun control but the constitution rules against that.

I find it odd that people are so tied to the constitution on one issue, but so happy to ignore it on others

As I understood it , SCOTUS knocked back the census question not because having the question itself was unconstitutional , but because the variety of made up reasons that the Trump team gave for wanting to include it were an issue.

Also at issue is the fact that they demanded that the case be fast tracked through the courts because according to them June 30th was an absolute drop dead date to have the issue resolved as beyond that they would miss the legally binding window for running the census.

However , now that they have lost in the courts it would appear that the 30th of June was not the critical date they made it out to be.

A law has potentially been broken here in that they misrepresented facts to expedite the case - This might explain why all the original lawyers working on the case have stood down en-bloc before they go back to the courts with another round of spurious justifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Ah, must have been the appeal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/donald-trump-twitter-block-us-court-ruling-latest-a8997151.html

Knowing Trump, he will take this all the way and when he loses, won't accept this.
    This guy needs democracy explained to him.
    He totally understands democracy he just doesn't like or agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't know at what level trade talks are between the two, I suspect at a very early stage, but they won't be going further for a while
    https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1148643052657025025?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Extraordinary Twitter diahorea from Trump today insulting May just weeks after lauding her. He is such a rudderless, thin skinned empty vessel. He insults people on a daily basis and when the UK ambassador says what even the dogs in the street know he has a total meltdown. What a sad individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,823 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see that Trump is now saying he "wasn't a big fan" of Jeffrey Epstein. Right, so that article from 2002 is presumably fake news then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

dinorebel wrote: »
    He totally understands democracy he just doesn't like or agree with it.

Tbh I don't think he understands much bar what can benefit him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Extraordinary Twitter diahorea from Trump today insulting May just weeks after lauding her. He is such a rudderless, thin skinned empty vessel. He insults people on a daily basis and when the UK ambassador says what even the dogs in the street know he has a total meltdown. What a sad individual.

The saddest thing about all this is that the UK will have no choice but to back down. May is just about done and Boris won't say a peep against Trump so Darroch will be shown the door soon enough and Trump will have gotten away with his verbal diarrhoea yet again. It's disgraceful conduct from someone in a public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump asks Barr to investigate the "oranges" of the Russia investigation, expecting to find dirt on Steele and the dossier (even though they did not spark the investigation).

How did that work out?

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1148629143153795073?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

In my opinions, media is not backing Trump because the deep state of America doesn't like him. I know he is a little strange but I like him because he is not a hypocrate. Previous presidents also made blenders in their ruling period but media wasn't as against as they are for Trump.

In my opinions, media is not backing Trump because the deep state of America doesn't like him. I khnow he is a little strange but I like him because he is not a hypocrate. Previous presidents also made blenders in their ruling period but media wasn't as against as they are for Trump.
    He is a massive hypocrite. Just last week he was encouraging young people to join the military at his ridiculous parade, which is funny coming from the guy who dodged the draft for Vietnam. I'm sure there are many other examples of his hypocrisy.

In my opinions, media is not backing Trump because the deep state of America doesn't like him. I know he is a little strange but I like him because he is not a hypocrate. Previous presidents also made blenders in their ruling period but media wasn't as against as they are for Trump.

I guess you mean hypocrite.
    Did your keyboard start smoking when you typed this?
    It is akin to saying the bear does his business in the toilets of Grand Central Station and the Pope is a confirmed atheist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more deep state stuff please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you have a problem with a post, report it. No more snide quips please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Amazing to see a sitting president of the USA blasting the UK PM on Twitter :pac: that ambassador is gone as soon as Boris gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

If President De Gaulle was described as the "pissenlit" ,how I wonder ,in corresponding terms might we describe this sh*t the bed ?

Clearly abandoning the USA's responsibilities except insofar as they relate to its own narrow interests (unless chumminess with dictators counts as the new internationalism--reminding me of that old entente cordiale between Stalin and
    Hitler.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Someone mentioned Borris' comments about Trump. I had not seen them.

They are quite something

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1148645124555124736?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ambassador to the US has just resigned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Johnsons' comments are utterly meaningless; if Trump lies ad nauseam, then Johnson dissembles ad nauseam. He's a naked careerist and will kowtow to Trump if that's what the situation or Johnson's betterment requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I wonder if Darroch's resignation today is a tactical move so he can be replaced before Boris gets to do the picking? Get someone with a clean slate re offending Trump but who is still an actual diplomat, not one of Johnson cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

B0jangles wrote: »
    I wonder if Darroch's resignation today is a tactical move so he can be replaced before Boris gets to do the picking? Get someone with a clean slate re offending Trump but who is still an actual diplomat, not one of Johnson cronies.

I thought exactly the same thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

B0jangles wrote: »
    I thought exactly the same thing.

Would replacing Darroch now somehow prevent Johnson selecting his own choice once he's PM should he so wish?

Surely Johnson can replace an ambassador whenever he likes , or is there some set of rules that might prevent it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Would replacing Darroch now somehow prevent Johnson selecting his own choice once he's PM should he so wish?

Surely Johnson can replace an ambassador whenever he likes , or is there some set of rules that might prevent it?

Oh yeah of course, but replacing Darroch would be easy on the grounds of 'maintaining the best possible relationship with our biggest and most important (and handsome!) ally', while immediately replacing a newly appointed, highly-qualified successor who has done nothing to justify such treatment with someone as unqualified as Farage, for example, would look a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bad optics if you replace them for no good reason though, unless you can move them somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If May appoints one now, the optics of Johnson replacing them would be very poor. Almost as if populist was sucking up to populist...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

If May appoints one now, the optics of Johnson replacing them would be very poor. Almost as if populist was sucking up to populist...

The optics might be poor but it should be fairly obvious by now that the likes of Johnson, Trump, and their supporters don’t really care about that sort of thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement