Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Either Trump is right and nothing happened, in which case these people (whistleblower etc) need to be shown to be wrong, or he did do something, in which case the country should know about it.
    Or Trump sticks it to the Social Justice Warriors who don't let us say the n word anymore and promise to stop all abortion so anything he does wrong is forgiven.

It doesn't matter what he does according to this poll.
    https://www.axios.com/monmouth-poll-trump-approval-a05b8144-1d1b-4296-a0d4-6ca0390b05ee.html
    He probably could shoot someone on fith avenue and say putin told him to do it and his base would not care.
    Personally I can't get my head around this level of support for a politician. Least of all Trump. Could you imagine being that fanatical about any of our lot! Crazy stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

https://www.axios.com/monmouth-poll-trump-approval-a05b8144-1d1b-4296-a0d4-6ca0390b05ee.html
    He probably could shoot someone on fith avenue and say putin told him to do it and his base would not care.
    Personally I can't get my head around this level of support for a politician. Least of all Trump. Could you imagine being that fanatical about any of our lot! Crazy stuff altogether.

Poll reading can be such fun. The other 38% of those Trump supporters polled can be said to - while approving of the job he's doing - think he might do something which would cause them to remove their support. I'd wait to see what others here say about the reliability of this poll.

There's another bout of local, state and [I think] Congress seats/offices up for election in Iowa on the 8th. The results there will be of interest to Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

When people answer a question that way, 'nothing he does will lose my support', it poses the question why? Why would you abandon any moral compass for a person? I think the answer is he allows them to be what they want to be, and that is to put self interest first, and to be be openly racist (at last!). Keep 'them' out and take care of 'me'. No need to think of the bigger picture, no need to think at all. It's such a base premise, after 8 years of Obama we were fooled into thinking the USA was better than that.

Of course there are out layers but I firmly believe this is at the heart of it, and I am not sure any honest T supporter would deny it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's a lot I don't understand about US politics , I absolutely do not understand the zealotry that surrounds it.

Even the basic concept of Politic rallies - I really don't get it.

I mean , I'm engaged and interested in politics , but I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd want to spend a couple of hours standing in an auditorium or whatever listening to a politician , let alone bringing along flags and banners.

I just don't understand their purpose at all , certainly not in the modern age - Pre the advent of TV/Radio , I get that need to get the message out , but now (or anytime in the last 60-70 years really)???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I don't think that the voters who support a politician or party necessarily like them, some of them are bound to, but the rest could just support them to keep 'x' out of power. Their aversion to the democrats policies is stronger than whatever reservations they may have about Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    There's a lot I don't understand about US politics , I absolutely do not understand the zealotry that surrounds it.

I mean , I'm engaged and interested in politics , but I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd want to spend a couple of hours standing in an auditorium or whatever listening to a politician , let alone bringing along flags and banners.

I just don't understand their purpose at all , certainly not in the modern age - Pre the advent of TV/Radio , I get that need to get the message out , but now (or anytime in the last 60-70 years really)???
    Yeah. It's very old style. The kind of thing you'd have seen De Valera and his contemporaries doing up until the advent of TV and radio. The closest thing we get to it now are the Ard Fheiseanna which are more for the party faithful than the electorate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Agreed. I cannot understand why normal people donate large sums of money to a politician. I would tell any political party here to ****off if they wrote to me looking for money.

In relation to large donations, well that system to me is ripe for corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Seanachai wrote: »
    I don't think that the voters who support a politician or party necessarily like them, some of them are bound to, but the rest could just support them to keep 'x' out of power. Their aversion to the democrats policies is stronger than whatever reservations they may have about Trump.

Nail on head. Anyone who voted for Trump in 2016 already knew about his character. Although there is extra parameters now with concerns like mental decline etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Let's not be too hasty on this. Perhaps we should wait for Outlaw Pete to explain how we are reading this wrong and it is, in fact, Great for Trump.

I'm gonna take a swing at this...

Em...

"You left wing liberals need to calm down. This was a low level election. They guy who lost was barely liked. Trump managed to make it a close race.

The Dems have a history of reading polls wrongly. Remember 2016?

Trump will expose the Mueller witchhunt and once there are arrests of Comey, Paige and her lover, people will understand what Trump had to put up with and there will be a backlash against the Dems"

How was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nody wrote: »
    Or Trump sticks it to the Social Justice Warriors who don't let us say the n word anymore and promise to stop all abortion so anything he does wrong is forgiven.

Trump isn't anti abortion.

His last Supreme court appointments also voted in a way pro abortion campaigners would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Politicians here are readily accessible, in America they are not, if potus is around it is a one off chance to see him.

The electoral process etc is also tied up in their identity and culture, so comes with greater meaning than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Danzy wrote: »

His last Supreme court appointments also voted in a way pro abortion campaigners would agree.

While that may be true, his supporters are very much set against abortion, and the republicans (including Trump) are now painting democrats as monsters who are killing babies, even after they're born. This teaches his base that the only way to save the poor babies is to vote Republicans only, otherwise all children ever will be killed. Or at least they make it sound that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1191886972861632512?s=19

Well this is quite interesting.

Trump threw his not inconsiderable weight behind this race, which in and of itself told a story.

Trump told the crowd that they had to stop the dems winning... "you can't let this happen to me"

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1191894907801214977?s=19

The results were closely watched... including by McConnell I'd imagine

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1191890235514400770?s=19

A Dem governor not exactly unusual in Kentucky which a lot of people seem to ignore this morning. The GOP also smashed it in the rest of those races including Mitch's prodigy.

Kentucky is not the disaster the echo chamber lefties should focus on though, the GOP did ok in that area, Virginia was a bloodbath and much more concerning when it comes to 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I wonder how many abortions Donnie has paid for over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

His father was plugging the book on his twitter which is also illegal for the president to do. A small crime but a crime nonetheless.

Think I also saw some headline saying something along the lines that they had been caught using Trump campaign money to buy up piles of copies of the book to give a sales boost too which would presumably be illegal also (though I may have misread that)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Danzy wrote: »

President Trump most certainly is anti-abortion. I suppose you could make the argument that because he makes any exception he's not but it'd be an incredibly weak position to be defending by any reasonable definition of the term.

Here are some of his most recent thoughts on the subject...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1129954110747422720

Here's a clip from him talking to Chris Matthews back on the campaign trail in 2016 which received widespread coverage at the time. Following this interview, his campaign clarified and re-clarified his stance a number of times but, at best, it was a case of the matter being a states-rights issue and his personal opinions mirroring those of Regan as above.

It's worth noting, however, that pre-President Trump had a very different opinion of course. Here he is talking to NBC’s Tim Russert on Meet the Press back in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I posted about this months ago, it’s almost supporting a sports team, some will follow them through thick and thin regardless of what they currently are up to, it’s a very strange way to do politics. The two party system and the colleges are also a very strange thing, one obviously worked out that way but the other means your vote is worth more or less than someone else’s based on where they live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

everlast75 wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a swing at this...
    Or, here's another take:

Given that the margin was 5,000 votes, the 28,000 votes that the Libertarian candidate got made a huge difference.

In voting for the Libertarian, the good people of one of the poorest states in the Union, are not saying that they want a Democrat - rather that the Republican is not Republican enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,814 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Let's not be too hasty on this. Perhaps we should wait for Outlaw Pete to explain how we are reading this wrong and it is, in fact, Great for Trump.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/laura-ingraham-declares-gops-kentucky-loss-a-testament-to-the-power-of-donald-trump/

• Advertisement

Nevermind the Kentucky Gub race though what about Virginia: Democrats now control the House and Senate for the first time in 20 years; along with the governorship theyve secures a powerful “coup” against Republicans.

Without the power of the gerrymander they don’t seem able to win elections anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/republicans-wake-to-a-blue-virginia/2019/11/06/241923dc-0004-11ea-8bab-0fc209e065a8_story.html

2 years ago this cyclist lost her day job when she went viral for flipping off President Trump. Yesterday she changed career tracks and unseated a Republican. Now a member of the country board that directs local policy that impacts a local Trump golf course.

[url] https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-cyclist-who-flipped-off-trump-wins-loudoun-county-seat-representing-his-golf-club/2019/11/05/e8aa11dc-003d-11ea-8bab-0fc209e065a8_story.html [/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah Virginia is the big news. Both sides will play up or play down a little more than necessary what was a very good result in Kentucky but without doubt Virginia is the big story. It was a bloodbath, and that was with republican drawn districts.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yeah Virginia is the big news. Both sides will play up or play down a little more than necessary what was a very good result in Kentucky but without doubt Virginia is the big story. It was a bloodbath, and that was with republican drawn districts.

No no, the Supreme Court threw out the Republican maps without rulings on whether the gerrymandering itself was constitutional. Case closed in June.

[url] https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/us/politics/virginia-racial-gerrymandering-supreme-court.html[/url]

Overheal wrote: »
    No no, the Supreme Court threw out the Republican maps without rulings on whether the gerrymandering itself was constitutional. Case closed in June.

[url] https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/us/politics/virginia-racial-gerrymandering-supreme-court.html[/url]

I understand they were not able to be as blatant as hey we're previously but did mean the republicans didn't actually draw the district's then?

Not as impressive anymore, but still a bloodbath and the biggest story to come out of the elections :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rjd2 wrote: »
    A Dem governor not exactly unusual in Kentucky which a lot of people seem to ignore this morning. The GOP also smashed it in the rest of those races including Mitch's prodigy.

Kentucky is not the disaster the echo chamber lefties should focus on though, the GOP did ok in that area, Virginia was a bloodbath and much more concerning when it comes to 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50311633

Il clear this up for you
    Meanwhile, Democrats seized full control of the legislature in Virginia for the first time in over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. It's very old style. The kind of thing you'd have seen De Valera and his contemporaries doing up until the advent of TV and radio. The closest thing we get to it now are the Ard Fheiseanna which are more for the party faithful than the electorate anyway.

I've watched a few of them on a Sat morning, the scenes at the end when the leader comes down off the podium and everybody swarms them are cringey af.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Overheal wrote: »
    Without the power of the gerrymander they don’t seem able to win elections anymore.
    Indeed.
    conservative administrations have tried to tilt the electoral process against left-leaning social groups such as the young, the transient and recent immigrants. Registering to vote and voting itself have been made more difficult, with more documents required, despite little evidence of electoral fraud.

Conservative parties retain their legendary will to win, but winning seems a greater and greater strain, and is being achieved by less and less inspiring means. “What does it say about us as Conservatives,” asks Cooper, “if our only hope for the next generation of voters is that they don’t vote?”

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes Virginia is big news but Virginia as state had been going democrat for a couple of election cycles though. Yes it's big that they now control everything legislatively but it had been coming.

Kentucky is considered a red state though with the exception of Louisville and Lexington which are the two big cities with Lexington have the university of Kentucky in it. But yes as has been said a democratic governor in Kentucky is not this mad out of the blue thing. If you look back at the governors of Kentucky since 1900, there is a lot of democratic governors including the new governors father who held the post before the GOP one who lost last night.

• Advertisement

There is also some good news for democrats and troubling signs for trump in Pennsylvania, with democrats turning some long time heavily republican districts in the suburbs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement