Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There is also some good news for democrats and troubling signs for trump in Pennsylvania, with democrats turning some long time heavily republican districts in the suburbs.

And suburbs were a big thing in the Kentucky governors race. The suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio stretch into northern Kentucky and they went blue last night. That was seen in the 2018 mid terms as well though. The suburbs are not happy hunting grounds electorally for the GOP under Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

listermint wrote: »

I'l clear this up for you.

Kentucky Republicans did very well bar Bevin who will have to govern with them if he wants to achieve anything. Daniel Cameron a Mitch prodigy who won the AG slot got 100 000 more votes than the deeply unpopular Bevin.

https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/1191926893865508866

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/06/politics/daniel-cameron-mitch-mcconnell-kentucky-attorney-general/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Which has got to be a worry, a big worry for him with his campaign.

Pennsylvania, Ohio, those kind of states that were so crucial to him getting elected are ones to keep a very close on eye.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I mean Trump won Kentucky by a landslide last time but if there is anything to take from the governors election in Kentucky is that while he may still win Kentucky next year Mitch McConnell may want to be taking his opponent serious as trump campaigned for Bevin and it didn't work. I can see McConnell being hesitant to have trump campaign for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,814 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'l clear this up for you.

Kentucky Republicans did very well bar Bevin who will have to govern with them if he wants to achieve anything. Daniel Cameron a Mitch prodigy who won the AG slot got 100 000 more votes than the deeply unpopular Bevin.

https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/1191926893865508866

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/06/politics/daniel-cameron-mitch-mcconnell-kentucky-attorney-general/index.html

Actually they'd make the argument that the downballot wins being GOP 'indicates fraud.' It's a fine reason to suspect, but watch as nothing comes of it. Amazing how they never find evidence of voter suppression when Republicans win and all the evidence gets deleted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I understand they were not able to be as blatant as hey we're previously but did mean the republicans didn't actually draw the district's then?

Correct. Someone in California did. From earlier this year.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/government-politics/federal-court-picks-redrawn-va-house-map-that-boosts-democrats/article_6b727239-4d46-592d-99c7-f2b544c5e045.html

Republicans currently have 51 seats and Democrats have 48 pending the outcome of a Feb. 19 special election. All 100 House seats are up for election in November. If the map survives Republican legal appeals and takes effect, it could tilt five to six GOP-held districts toward Democrats.

"It would nearly guarantee a Democratic takeover of the House of Delegates," said Larry Sabato, head of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia.

In the Richmond area, the most significant partisan swing would occur in the district occupied by House Speaker Kirk Cox, R-Colonial Heights. By removing rural areas and shifting the lines north into the Chesterfield County suburbs closer to Richmond, the speaker's district would see a Democratic shift equivalent to 32 percentage points under past election results, according to the Virginia Public Access Project.

House Appropriations Chairman Chris Jones, R-Suffolk, would face a similarly large Democratic swing, 27.4 percentage points, under the court's order.

Now, I have absolutely no opinion on whether or not the court-appointed re-districting was fair, it probably is, but it does show that yesterday's result is not a surprise or necessarily indicative of a swing of individual voter preference from R to D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm inclined to agree, the GOP had a very good night in Kentucky, the governor candidate was rejected and his association with Trump didn't do enough to get him through but it shouldn't be over egged.

Kentucky is still a very red state. In New Jersey the republicans have also done well considering its a democratic stronghold, the areas that went for trump in 2016 have remained good for the GOP.

Both parties have had success in certain areas, which ones to focus on can get a little lost with the noise.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Overheal wrote: »
    Actually they'd make the argument that the downballot wins being GOP 'indicates fraud.' It's a fine reason to suspect, but watch as nothing comes of it. Amazing how they never find evidence of voter suppression when Republicans win and all the evidence gets deleted?

Its utter bollocks. Bevin even in Republican circles is considered an oaf, he only got 52% in his primary. Its a crappy attempt to save face nothing more than that.

I'm inclined to agree, the GOP had a very good night in Kentucky, the governor candidate was rejected and his association with Trump didn't do enough to get him through but it shouldn't be over egged.

Kentucky is still a very red state. In New Jersey the republicans have also done well considering its a democratic stronghold, the areas that went for trump in 2016 have remained good for the GOP.

Both parties have had success in certain areas, which ones to focus on can get a little lost with the noise.

Are you suggesting nuance online? In 2019?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Bevin ... only got 52% in his primary.
    Beshear got even less in his primary: 38%.

• Advertisement

Pour one out for Fox News opinion, as their latest conspiracy theory blew up on the launchpad in spectacular fashion.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/yikes-fox-news-thought-obama-cia-was-having-political-correctness-meetings/

They misinterpreted a White House term for “PC meetings” as “political correctness” to spin a story up about Obama Deep State nonsense. The term in reality stands for “Principals Committee,” an otherwise normal part of the Executive Branch. Instant pillory ensued.

It seems that the GOP counsel got the name of the alleged whistleblower onto the record of the testimony of bill Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It seems that the GOP counsel got the name of the alleged whistleblower onto the record of the testimony of bill Taylor.

Trump Jr also tweeted the name earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Taylor's testimony...

AMBASSAD0R TAYLOR: That was my clear understanding,security assistance money would not come until the President committed to pursue the investigation.

THE CHAIRMAN: So if they don't do this, they are not going to get that was your understanding?

AMBASSAD0R TAYL0R: Yes, sir.

THE CHAIRMAN: Are you aware that quid pro quo literally means this for that?

AMBASSADOR TAYLOR: I AM.

AMBASSADOR TAYL0R: I don't think so. I think the origin of the idea to get President Zelensky to say out loud he's going to investigate Burisma and 2016 election, I think the originator, the person who came up with that was Mr. Giuliani

R. MALIN0WSKI: And he was representing whose interests in--

AMBASSAD0R TAYL0R: President Trump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    There's a lot I don't understand about US politics , I absolutely do not understand the zealotry that surrounds it.

Even the basic concept of Politic rallies - I really don't get it.

I mean , I'm engaged and interested in politics , but I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd want to spend a couple of hours standing in an auditorium or whatever listening to a politician , let alone bringing along flags and banners.

I just don't understand their purpose at all , certainly not in the modern age - Pre the advent of TV/Radio , I get that need to get the message out , but now (or anytime in the last 60-70 years really)???

It's like sport. It's base tribalism. People love to feel part of a group. But for some reason I don't understand it's amplified in the USA. There is a culture of bumper stickers, hats, t-shirts and massive rallys for everything from High School football to Politics.

It's a very strange cultural idiosyncrasy. When I lived in Arizona during the Obama years it was very common to see cars with anti Obama, NRA, Christian, anti abortion, School honour roll, anti ACLU and NFL bumper stickers. Sometimes all on the same car.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Itssoeasy wrote: »

That was Meadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Brian? wrote: »

It's a very strange cultural idiosyncrasy. When I lived in Arizona during the Obama years it was very common to see cars with anti Obama, NRA, Christian, anti abortion, School honour roll, anti ACLU and NFL bumper stickers. Sometimes all on the same car.

I was proud of my "Redefeat Bush 2004" on my Land Rover!

All this tribalism is a carefully planned reductionist strategy. When the issues are complex, and you dont score well on details, it makes sense to dumb everything down and broaden out your base. Fans are also less inclined to question anything you say, as long as say good things to them: things they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Is there any word to confirm if the alleged publicizing of the alleged whistleblower's identity outside the committee room is true? I'm not on twitter and see no hint of a mention on the news channels of any leak. I can see why, if it's being revealed outside the committee room in which it was contained in an "in camera" session, that news agencies would not want to be accused of being complicit with such an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭abff

I think the fact that Don Jr tweeted the whistleblower's identity proves that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I guess a lifetime of being exposed to Don Sr's behaviour had to have some effect on his character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

aloyisious wrote: »
    Is there any word to confirm if the alleged publicizing of the alleged whistleblower's identity outside the committee room is true? I'm not on twitter and see no hint of a mention on the news channels of any leak. I can see why, if it's being revealed outside the committee room in which it was contained in an "in camera" session, that news agencies would not want to be accused of being complicit with such an act.
    Judging by responses by Dems urging Rand Paul not to name him and by WH response that they knew nothing about Trump Junior retweeting a link naming him, probably true but as of yet no one including main media are going to confirm, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

abff wrote: »
    I think the fact that Don Jr tweeted the whistleblower's identity proves that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I guess a lifetime of being exposed to Don Sr's behaviour had to have some effect on his character.
    Junior's defence of I just retweeted info that was already out there and claiming that there's no actual legal impediment on naming him, says a lot.

Every outlet worth it’s salt isn’t reporting the name while reporting on Jr’s action

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

While discussing the whistleblower's name is serious and scary, there's another name we heard today that Trumphards must surely hate by now....

Zelinsky...

Ukrainian President whose call with Trump provides evidence that may lead to Trump's removal, and
    Roger Stone's prosecutor, whose trial may also provide evidence that may lead to Trump's removal...

Isn't Irony great!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Interesting thread that neatly summarises just how much sh1t Giuliani is in and to what lengths he went to try and create a cover story for his plotting.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1192184894451015682.html

(Its from Laura Rozen)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

Trump still needs Barr though it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

amandstu wrote: »
    Trump still needs Barr though it seems.

Of course he does, imagine if the Mueller report was released with a responsible AG at the helm?
    I would say that Barr is realising the attritional effect of constantly backing Trump and decided enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

duploelabs wrote: »
    Of course he does, imagine if the Mueller report was released with a responsible AG at the helm?
    I would say that Barr is realising the attritional effect of constantly backing Trump and decided enough is enough

And that as far as Trump is concerned, no matter what you do for him, it's never enough

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

Trump confirms it:

EIvv8dRUYAAu1la?format=png&name=small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement