Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Let's not be too hasty on this. Perhaps we should wait for Outlaw Pete to explain how we are reading this wrong and it is, in fact, Great for Trump.

This nonsense got 11 thanks? This thread is like the Twilight Zone.

I realize you took it hard getting called out for wrongly posting that the Italian PM was "on record" saying AG Barr asked him to "frame" US Intel officials, but this is a weak attempt at retaliation.

First of all, why would I suggest that an isolated local election here or there was good or bad for Trump? I wouldn't, as it would be absurd, not least of all because it's not an historically Republican held position. In fact before this guy, there had only been two Republican Governors of Kentucky since 1947.

However, you and your friends weren't alone in excitedly seeing it as being indicative of what's to happen in 2020 and so Trump addressed that with the following tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1192229368057085952

• Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You post fake video clips of Trump being dissed and now you're posting fake White House press statements??

Well, suppose it fits in with the democrat theme I guess, what with their fake Russian/Ukrainian sourced dossiers and fictitious versions of Trump's phone call being read into congressional record and all.

When the truth won't do, sure what choice do they have left but to make shit up.

Anyway, I'll stick with the truth myself, effective and all as lies sadly seem to be, I feel it's best that way ....

Just seeing today that the lawyer of the "whistleblower" seems to be quite an honest person though, in his downtime at least:

A "Coup" is how he referred to what was to come, and let's be honest, isn't that precisely what this all is and has been since election night.

Well, an attempted coup, at least - not a chance it'll get past the Senate. Dismissal would be my call.

You don't believe that withholding congressional approved money from an ally who is fighting against an advisory so that they will not purely investigate but moreover read out a statement prepared to announce an investigation into Trump's own political rival is an issue, so I don't think you live in the same world as most people.

Secondly, the identity or political leaning of the whistleblower is irrelevant. If someone witnesses a bank robbery and calls the police, the identity of that person is irrelevant.

All trump et al want is a person to attack. Without it, there is no strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Yes.

Facts say differently. Your logic is like saying Pres Obama is the thought leader for black cop killers. Lazy smears based on guilt by association because he isn't on the same plane as you politically. It's easy to be so lazy when you never get challenged, and rarely will you get challenged on threads like this.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/study-anti-semitic-hate-speech-against-journalists-has-intensified-throughout-2016-election-229982

"anti-Semitic hate speech against journalists has intensified throughout 2016 election...

The journalist facing the most harassment has been Ben Shapiro, a former Breitbart reporter who left the site for its treatment of then-Breitbart reporter Michelle Fields after she was grabbed by Trump’s campaign manager at the time, Corey Lewandowski. Shapiro has been an outspoken critic of the Republican nominee."

Ben can be described as hyper conservative, but he's not marching on the street in a Klan outfit or holding rallies on how the whites are superior much like Richard Spencer, you know, the actual alt-right. They hate people like Shapiro.

If you want a legitimate back and fourth think before you make such ridiculous smears, otherwise the point of people with different political beliefs engaging with each other on this thread becomes a massive waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

This
    I realize you took it hard getting called out for wrongly posting that the Italian PM was "on record" saying AG Barr asked him to "frame" US Intel officials, but this is a weak attempt at retaliation.

You misunderstand. Read the post again. Barr was trying to frame his own (yes! Say that again - his own!!) Intelligence community: that they were behind some plot to frame Trumps campaign for the (LOL) DNC hack.

You were linked to the relevant articles and quotes. Anything further you do to perpetuate your fantasy is a lie.

Anyhow...

This whole Ukraine thing just boils down to 3 little words:

Biden. Clinton. Investigation.

Trump cannot let go. He feels hurt. This testimony from Kent is extraordinary.
    KENT: POTUS wanted nothing less than President Zelenskyy to go to microphone and say investigations, Biden, and Clinton.
    Q: And in return for what?
    KENT: That was not clear to me.
    KENT: In shorthand, it was suggested that the Ukrainians needed Zelenskyy to go to a microphone and basically there needed to be three words in the message, and that was the shorthand.
    Q: Clinton was shorthand for 2016?
    KENT: 2016, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Very telling how the president of the United States has been ordered to pay $2m for misusing funds, that his son and daughter have to undergo mandatory training, and it's a minor news story. Family members with no prior experience who have been installed in political positions of power.

It's such an unreal swamp and circus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

While I may have touched a nerve, I did not call him alt-right. I may have been a bit hyperbolic describing him as an intellectual and should probably stuck to supplement salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nah, I would have said Operation Fast and Furious and the Kunduz hospital airstrike were a little more contemptible.

I’d say the Kurdish genocide beats those now

While I may have touched a nerve, I did not call him alt-right. I may have been a bit hyperbolic describing him as an intellectual and should probably stuck to supplement salesman.

Thing is, you know you're being disingenuous ( and can't help yourself with the nerve comment, another smear ) you'll never walk back anything because on the internet there's zero accountability, even more so in threads like this where the overwhelming majority subscribe to a certain political viewpoint so it doesn't matter what you say, the seals will clap along.

Just know I see it for what it is. Someday I'd love to see you on a debate stage, but I doubt that'll ever happen, let alone against people like Shapiro. Doing that would take actual balls, unlike anonymously pressing buttons behind a monitor on a keyboard.

Fine. I'll leave Shapiro alone. At least until you rereg for 5th time if you haven't already.

Fine. I'll leave Shapiro alone. At least until you rereg for 5th time if you haven't already.

Yet another smear, you really can't help yourself. Any accounts I've had I've closed and reopened new ones which is within the rules of this website.

Like I said, the smears really really increase my opinion of you. Good day sir.

• Advertisement

I for one think it’s hilarious a re reg is trying to shame a regular user for anonymity in debates on the Internet.

Overheal wrote: »
    I for one think it’s hilarious a re reg is trying to shame a regular user for anonymity in debates on the Internet.

What does it matter if you re reg or not? Nobody knows who you are in real life either way. The only reason I closed accounts was because I was wasting too much time on boards, not some idea to hide my identity.

Point is I don't like lazy smears, there's isn't much more to it.

Putting down my handbag for the night, has it been explained why Trump specifically was looking for a public statement from Ukraine about the Bidens, the crowdstrike server and Clinton?

It seems fairly obvious to me but one of the talking points was that this was about Trump's concern for corruption *snicker*. If it was about corruption, why the obsession with Clinton and a public statement on US TV and why defund anti-corruption efforts?

peddlelies wrote: »
    What does it matter if you re reg or not? Nobody knows who you are in real life either way. The only reason I closed accounts was because I was wasting too much time on boards, not some idea to hide my identity.

Everyone knows who Ben Shapiro is though.

Then what were all your previous accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If a Dem gets into the WH next, they are going to have an easy ride

Apparently a sizeable chunk of people think it's perfectly acceptable for the US president to lie on a daily basis, make constant racist/hypocritical/bigoted comments, support pseudo-scientific and absurd conspiracies, write child-like letters to foreign heads of state, snub national intelligence services (all of them, together), engage in bullying and literal name-calling on social media (constantly), surround themselves with sleaze, put their family members in power, snub allies, attack veterans, engage in blatant sexism, evidence of affairs, the list is almost endless

Then what were all your previous accounts?

They're easy to find, just look for the accounts that said there wasn't some grand conspiracy between Russia and Trump in the Trump threads while being insulted by everyone else.

peddlelies wrote: »
    They're easy to find, just look for the accounts that said there wasn't some grand conspiracy between Russia and Trump in the Trump threads while being insulted by everyone else.

A list please if it’s not about the anonymity to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Very telling how the president of the United States has been ordered to pay $2m for misusing funds, that his son and daughter have to undergo mandatory training, and it's a minor news story. Family members with no prior experience who have been installed in political positions of power.

It's such an unreal swamp and circus

Mr Trump "breached his fiduciary duty" by allowing funds raised for US veterans to be used for the Iowa primary election in 2016, she said in the settlement.

A list please if it’s not about the anonymity to you.

I don't remember them all, my previous account was "Ultros".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bloomberg is going to run.

He won't admit it, but lets be honest he is only entering because is terrified big bad warren and bernie will make him pay more tax and he does not trust Biden to beat them.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah so Lindsay Graham’s latest excuse is the trump administration were too incompetent to have committed a quid pro quo. Okay then.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Bloomberg is going to run.

He won't admit it, but lets be honest he is only entering because is terrified big bad warren and bernie will make him pay more tax and he does not trust Biden to beat them.:rolleyes:

Not a big surprise.

Watch a grown man slash billionaire openly weep on screen when he realizes he might have to choose between Elizabeth Warren and Donald Trump

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-wall-street-billionaire-literally-cry-over-choice-between-trump-and-elizabeth-warren/

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ah so Lindsay Graham’s latest excuse is the trump administration were too incompetent to have committed a quid pro quo. Okay then.

“We shouldn’t impeach him because he is too incompetent.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

First of all, why would I suggest that an isolated local election here or there was good or bad for Trump? I wouldn't, as it would be absurd, not least of all because it's not an historically Republican held position. In fact before this guy, there had only been two Republican Governors of Kentucky since 1947.

However, you and your friends weren't alone in excitedly seeing it as being indicative of what's to happen in 2020 and so Trump addressed that with the following tweet:

The Mississippi win is tempered by the fact that he was on the ticket because the sitting GOP governor was statute-barred from running for a third term. It's not as if the sitting governor had run and was defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »

According to a Washington Post story timed from an hour ago the House Republicans are putting up another defence for Don. House GOP looks to protect Trump by raising doubts about motives of his deputies. House Republicans say envoy Gordon Sondland, President Trump’s lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani and possibly acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney could have tried to influence Ukraine policy on their own, without direction from the president. If they are right, it might be a hat-trick by Don, throwing three of his staff under the bus in one move.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-gop-looks-to-protect-trump-by-raising-doubts-about-motives-of-his-deputies/2019/11/07/aaa14efa-0173-11ea-8bab-0fc209e065a8_story.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

aloyisious wrote: »
    Asked why, she said she'd ask Don why he shot the person.

It is a very reasonable question, and I'll guarantee it's the first question the police would ask as well. Remember, this is the US, we can shoot people here, legally. I get that the context of the question is supposed to be just randomly walking up to someone and shooting them, but prima facie, her answer is entirely correct.

Remember Roy Moore, the Alabama chap of questionable moral virtue from a couple years ago? The Virginia State Senate race had their own version this week, Joe Morrissey. He ran in a district in Richmond which is so blue that the Republicans didn't even bother fielding a candidate, his opponent was an independent.

He was a long-time State Delegate, in 2015, he was in jail when he was re-elected for the relationship he had with a minor, his law license as an attorney was also revoked. He is now set to become a State Senator, beating the independent candidate 60/40. https://wset.com/news/at-the-capitol/virginia-lawmaker-jailed-for-teen-sex-scandal-wins-senate-seat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Mick Mulvaney has received a subpoena to attend before the House Intelligence Committee this (Friday) morning.

Assuming that he will hide behind the WH privilege nonsense, and wont turn up, he becomes the official who is closest to the President administratively, to 'obstruct Congress' if they choose to cite such obstruction as one of the articles of impeachment...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is a very reasonable question, and I'll guarantee it's the first question the police would ask as well. Remember, this is the US, we can shoot people here, legally. I get that the context of the question is supposed to be just randomly walking up to someone and shooting them, but prima facie, her answer is entirely correct.

Remember Roy Moore, the Alabama chap of questionable moral virtue from a couple years ago? The Virginia State Senate race had their own version this week, Joe Morrissey. He ran in a district in Richmond which is so blue that the Republicans didn't even bother fielding a candidate, his opponent was an independent.

He was a long-time State Delegate, in 2015, he was in jail when he was re-elected for the relationship he had with a minor, his law license as an attorney was also revoked. He is now set to become a State Senator, beating the independent candidate 60/40. https://wset.com/news/at-the-capitol/virginia-lawmaker-jailed-for-teen-sex-scandal-wins-senate-seat

The difference is that the police ask the question to try to understand motive as that can determine the final charges, if any, will be made.

The woman is asking so that she can be given an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ahhhh.. you changed up the order this time.

1) accuse this place of being an echo chamber
    2) say that Trump did nothing wrong/wasn't as bad as people say
    3) Democrats did worse

A variation, but a classic nevertheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reece289

https://www.newsweek.com/controversial-lawmaker-who-served-time-teen-sex-scandal-wins-virginia-state-senate-seat-1470512
    A more detailed piece.

She was 17.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement