Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You mean the question wasn't being asked in a fair, open, and non-partisan manner?

Not sure I follow you. In your example the police are trying to ascertain exactly what happened, possible self defence, accident etc.

Trump has stated that he could shoot a person and get away with it (electorally at least!) and it was based on that that the question was put to the woman.

Her answer, that she would ask him why, shows that she wants to find a way to excuse it. A bet if you asked her the same question about Obama she wouldn't be so keen to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think Trump admires Bezos or Gates, I think he's deeply, irrationally jealous of them - and their Soft Power.

That's why I said "aspire" - it's not the same as "admire". In fact I meant it as a more polite way of saying "Hes a jealous b*stard"!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think Trump admires Bezos or Gates, I think he's deeply, irrationally jealous of them - and their Soft Power. Their wealth eclipses his, and it's via a medium Trump has singularly failed to break (having made some stabs at media companies, while old-media busineses like Trump Magazine have sunk too). His hatred of Bezos, particularly in light of the latters ownership of the Washington Times, has been pretty naked, even by Trumps standards. I daresay a lot of old school tycoons find these tech billionaires hard to reconcile.

Fundamentally - Trump is classic "nouveau riche" - He desperately wanted to be accepted by the New York socialite and the "Hamptons elite" when he was up and coming in New York in the 80's/90's.

All they saw though was a rough uncouth yob from Queens and no amount of money could give him the cachet and acceptance he so desperately wanted.

So he grew more and more bitter and then when he sees people like Gates or Bezos ( or Obama) being accepted with open arms by the exact same people that shunned him for decades it drives him to utter distraction.

Even now when he's President of the United States of America , they still look down their noses at him and it continues to make him crazy.

A huge amount of what Trump is today is driven by the monstrous chip on his shoulder put there by his utter failure to understand that money does not buy class.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Two more transcripts released, including Fiona Hill

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1192858873130037248?s=19

Sondlond becomes the latest coffee boy..

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1192830732021972993?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If all of Trump's finances get strung out on the line for everyone to see it'll put him in a strange place. He has to play poor mouth to the authorities while simultaneously being the extremely wealthy tycoon to the public. Skilled at avoiding tax but also completely compliant. That's a needle to thread and it would be interesting to see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Not sure I follow you. In your example the police are trying to ascertain exactly what happened, possible self defence, accident etc.

Trump has stated that he could shoot a person and get away with it (electorally at least!) and it was based on that that the question was put to the woman.

Her answer, that she would ask him why, shows that she wants to find a way to excuse it. A bet if you asked her the same question about Obama she wouldn't be so keen to understand.

"Their" answer, the woman in blue interrupted and said it first, then she affirmed.
    We, here, all know that the reference is Trump's statement in 2016. That doesn't necessarily mean that they know (Besides, aren't Trump voters supposed to be ill-informed or some such?). Blind, and absent stated context, the response is not wrong.

[Edit. Ignore this outdated link] USA-today has broken its traditional (and, I would say laudible) silence on endorsing or opposing presidential candidates, putting the position rather bluntly. https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/09/29/dont-vote-for-donald-trump-editorial-board-editorials-debates/91295020/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

USA-today has broken its traditional (and, I would say laudible) silence on endorsing or opposing presidential candidates, putting the position rather bluntly. https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/09/29/dont-vote-for-donald-trump-editorial-board-editorials-debates/91295020/

I'm confused.:confused: That article is dated 30th September 2016, but the quoted post implies it's a current article.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ambassador John Bolton lawyer says that the ambassador knows about "many relevant meetings and conversations" on Ukraine that house investigators might be unaware of. That's according to NBC news. Looks like John Bolton might testify if subpoenaed(he said he won't voluntarily) but by that quote it looks like he's eagar to tell a story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

abff wrote: »
    I'm confused.:confused: That article is dated 30th September 2016, but the quoted post implies it's a current article.

Bugger, my mistake. It just came across my feed, I didn’t notice the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Can we really take it that Mike Bloomberg is serious in the story being spread by/in social media in test balloon fashion or is he winding Don up? It'd be a tempting distraction that Don can't usually resist tweeting to, even if his staff tried to advise him it might be a "blind".

On the plus side, from the view of Don's opponents is the deep and fresh $ pocket that Bloomberg has along with his media links, something Don does not have as a ready reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I don't think Trump admires Bezos or Gates, I think he's deeply, irrationally jealous of them - and their Soft Power. Their wealth eclipses his, and it's via a medium Trump has singularly failed to break (having made some stabs at media companies, while old-media busineses like Trump Magazine have sunk too). His hatred of Bezos, particularly in light of the latters ownership of the Washington Times, has been pretty naked, even by Trumps standards. I daresay a lot of old school tycoons find these tech billionaires hard to reconcile.

Be interesting to see how Trump takes it if Michael Bloomberg does end up running as a Democratic candidate. As he's much richer than Trump is I'd expect Trump to go after him even harder and in an even more childish way than he does the other Dems.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ambassador John Bolton lawyer says that the ambassador knows about "many relevant meetings and conversations" on Ukraine that house investigators might be unaware of. That's according to NBC news. Looks like John Bolton might testify if subpoenaed(he said he won't voluntarily) but by that quote it looks like he's eagar to tell a story.

It's peculiar that he wants an invitation that he can't refuse to tell all he wants to reveal, as if he's a patriot waiting with his hand up to be asked [I want a subpoena, no way I'm whistleblowing]. Despite my wanting him to tell all on what he's observed and taken contemporaneous notes of in respect of what Don has done in his presence, I dislike the way he seems to be going about it. It's almost like he's got personal future plans for himself on guiding the way of the US again at international level in the future after Don is got rid of. Then again I might just be career-biased against such personages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

aloyisious wrote: »
    Can we really take it that Mike Bloomberg is serious in the story being spread by/in social media in test balloon fashion or is he winding Don up? It'd be a tempting distraction that Don can't usually resist tweeting to, even if his staff tried to advise him it might be a "blind".

On the plus side, from the view of Don's opponents is the deep and fresh $ pocket that Bloomberg has along with his media links, something Don does not have as a ready reserve.
    I hope he's entering the race just to call out Trump

It'll be very interesting.

I hope he's entering the race just to call out Trump

It'll be very interesting.

It'd be funny-peculiar if it all came down to a shoot-off between NY denizens [as Don has not yet made the move to Florida] MB V DT & RJ with the local legals waiting to pick on Don remains to drain the swamp there.

aloyisious wrote: »
    It's peculiar that he wants an invitation that he can't refuse to tell all he wants to reveal, as if he's a patriot waiting with his hand up to be asked [I want a subpoena, no way I'm whistleblowing]. Despite my wanting him to tell all on what he's observed and taken contemporaneous notes of in respect of what Don has done in his presence, I dislike the way he seems to be going about it. It's almost like he's got personal future plans for himself on guiding the way of the US again at international level in the future after Don is got rid of. Then again I might just be career-biased against such personages.

Well his deputy is in court to ask who he should obey. In my mind Bolton is looking for air cover if when he does testify so that he can say to the GOP members that he’s being forced. I’d say Bolton wants to take down the likes of gulianni and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As always, another day, another 'can he get worse' moment. Apparently Trump offered 'a cheque' to the parents of that boy killed by the US citizen that fled under diplomatic immunity to the US. Imagine, sitting in the oval office, being bought off by the POTUS, who also had the driver who killed the boy in the next room for a photo op. It's Trump's world view - everyone has a price. Same reason they did the tax cut and now bang on about the economy - everyone has a price.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/07/harry-dunn-parents-say-they-rejected-offer-of-a-cheque-from-trump

The 3 year anniversary of waking up to the result in the US and my online reaction. Still holds true...

"The majority of the voting public of the US have fallen for a snake oil salesman.

An egomanic, pathological liar, a misogynist, a racist and a bully. One who is completely ignorant of international affairs, diplomacy and economics.

This is not my belief because of the "left wing media bias", it is my belief because of what he has said in unedited footage, which I have literally watch him say.

He has a problem with Muslims, blacks, Hispanics, Women... and he has control of the two houses.

Who is to blame?
    The media, for making a joke out of him rather than tackling him on his policies or lack thereof. The media for reporting on every single word he said and providing him with a platform not extended to any other candidate.
    Politicians for not engaging with the public and listening to their concerns.
    And the people who voted for him, for buying into fear rather than educating themselves about the type of man he is.

This is a man endorsed by Putin, Kim Jung Un and the KKK.

Hillary has her flaws, of that there is no doubt, but as many as there are, there is simply no comparison.

The only light at the end of this tunnel is that whilst America has hit rock bottom, the only way to go from there is up."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tick Tock, let's see how your beloved HC is when the swap gets a little shallower. Can't believe people still think she was the better choice.

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1192464257079791618?s=19

https://twitter.com/RealKyleMorris/status/1192839439887851520?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think my favourite part of that post was the phrase, "beloved HC"

Brilliant.

Anyways, mayor Pete did well again last night and his campaign is still steadily improving, I just think his problem with black voters and middle aged women is going to hamper him too much. He could yet get a VP nomination yet though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Tick Tock, let's see how your beloved HC is when the swap gets a little shallower. Can't believe people still think she was the better choice.

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who still believes that this guy represents some sort of person to aspire to. Pure and utter BS artist, and not even a good one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

everlast75 wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who still believes that this guy represents some sort of person to aspire to. Pure and utter BS artist, and not even a good one at that.

He doesn't think that.

All this is just anti 'mainstream' stuff some people get off on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is she locked up yet? She's been investigated before, why not?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Is she locked up yet? She's been investigated before, why not?

And how is her charity doing compared to Trump's?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really find it laughable that some people think that just because someone hates Trump, they must love Hillary.

They're both bad. I don't think Hillary would have been a good President. I have no affinity for her whatsoever. But Trump is worse and is currently the President so we don't need hypotheticals or discussions about Hillary, Trump can be judged entirely on his own performance.

Hillary could literally drown in a swamp tomorrow and I wouldn't much care. Trump could laugh about her death and I'd care because he's the f*cking President and shouldn't be doing that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well his deputy is in court to ask who he should obey. In my mind Bolton is looking for air cover if when he does testify so that he can say to the GOP members that he’s being forced. I’d say Bolton wants to take down the likes of gulianni and others.

I think you are spot on.

He and his deputy have gone to Federal court asking the question " which has primacy, the impeachment hearing supoena or the WH blanket executive privilege claim".

Mulvaney is trying to tag on to that too now.

Bolton was shafted by Trump, Mulvaney is about to be, but both are GOP hardliners, so whilst they want to testify against Trump, they needed the aircover.

From what I've read, the legal concensus seems to be that the WH position doesn't hold water and that the Federal court will say that they have to honour the supoena.

Then the question becomes, will the Supreme court take up the case if requested? - because of Trump loses this , he will absolutely appeal, as any of those guys testifying under oath will bury him for good.

The testimony transcripts do not paint a good picture for Trump and gulianni who was up to his neck in it. He's mentioned nearly 80 times in one testimony. Also, Fiona hill, and the former Ukrainian ambassador said they are fearful form their safety. I see jim "no jacket" Jordan is being moved over to the intelligence committee to be the attack dog for Trump. Also, the defense from Trump of "read the transcript" isn't a good one as it doesn't paint him well at all. It confirms that trump isn't the brightest build in the box and is winging being president and isn't doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The testimony transcripts do not paint a good picture for Trump and gulianni who was up to his neck in it. He's mentioned nearly 80 times in one testimony. Also, Fiona hill, and the former Ukrainian ambassador said they are fearful form their safety. I see jim "no jacket" Jordan is being moved over to the intelligence committee to be the attack dog for Trump. Also, the defense from Trump of "read the transcript" isn't a good one as it doesn't paint him well at all. It confirms that trump isn't the brightest build in the box and is winging being president and isn't doing well.

Gym Jordan should resign immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I don't think that was the wisest of moves as Jordan has his own scandal to deal with
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/08/referee-told-rep-jim-jordan-about-ohio-state-dr-richard-strauss-sex-abuse-suit-says.html

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jim-jordan-osu-sex-assault-lawsuit_n_5dc5844de4b00927b2320cb4?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALpRN1CHQti7fiACwGen6t-_fBy5_Cs7nMbeW4jgtGa8FYTrQTKu-nTN6LdXJ666dj_EJlFe2iQMmS_b5LzmdtGapbiiN_7Fpw42K72e7Ndn4001bMqlqZe-laG1IY7R-Rhw_oIt5QhZdmxdfYBwUzcbwl0M2F0h6-ha6-nSqYSr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement