Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Erm, The White House.

But....
    but....

Pete said the opposite.

Frankly, I don't know who to believe anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

everlast75 wrote: »
    But....
    but....

Pete said the opposite.

Frankly, I don't know who to believe anymore :(

I look at it this way.

Whatever statement Trump makes, well the opposite of that is true.
    Pete is the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

“Top border official admits the Trump administration has built ZERO new sections of border wall one year before the election as he defends his 'acting' title”

Promises made.....oh!

According to the NYT, the first new wall, as opposed to upgrade of old, started construction a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/us/border-wall-texas.html

They're going to try for at least 400 miles by the end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trumps wall will never be built so he can say what he wants. There were until recently cases involving land owners in Texas who were trying to block the government from the time of George W Bush the buying of land on the US side of the Mexico/ US border which for parts is the rio grande river which you can't build right up against the river. So if there are legal battles from at the latest 2008 still going on 11 years later then trumps successor will be dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

According to the NYT, the first new wall, as opposed to upgrade of old, started construction a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/us/border-wall-texas.html

They're going to try for at least 400 miles by the end of next year.

Frankly, it's risible that anyone is still trotting out easily-debunked claims of border wall having been built in accordance with Trump's promise of a "Great Big Beautiful Wall" that was going to be paid for by Mexico.... 3 years of Trump in power, and how many miles has he built? Zero... Nada... ZIlch.... and the few bits of REPLACEMENT barriers that he arranged, that were supposed to be un-breachable by anyone trying to either go over or through them have already been basically scaled by an 8-year old climber and breached by a few lads from Mexico using angle grinders...

What an absolute ****-show this White House has proven to be!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just thinking about the impeachment inquiry that's going on and the GOP saying that it's all hearsay and not first hand knowledge. You know how the White House could put an end to the their so called white hunt and hoax is by allowing the principal fact witnesses of gulianni, Mulvaney, and others to testify in public but they won't do that because what they have released documents wise didn't help one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Overheal wrote: »

The current Attorney General of Kentucky is Democrat Andy Beshear, who was elected on November 3, 2015. Beashear will retire from the post on December 10th to be sworn in as Governor of Kentucky , and will be replaced by Daniel Cameron, a republican and the first African American to hold the position and the first Republican to hold the office in 71 years. The new Sec-State of Kentucky, Michael Adams, is also a republican and an African-American. I'm hopeful that there will be a non-partisan attitude between the new officials, and they wont follow trends in Washington.

So trump has applied to Supreme Court in regards to his tax returns. You really really have to wonder what is in them that he’s so worried about. There’s no way there isn’t something bad in them.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So trump has applied to Supreme Court in regards to his tax returns. You really really have to wonder what is in them that he’s so worried about. There’s no way there isn’t something bad in them.

Yes yes, but the talking points are...

Where's the whistleblower?

Not
    Where's his tax returns?

Or
    Where's his SAT scores?

Or
    Where's his medical records?

Or.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    The current Attorney General of Kentucky is Democrat Andy Beshear, who was elected on November 3, 2015. Beashear will retire from the post on December 10th to be sworn in as Governor of Kentucky , and will be replaced by Daniel Cameron, a republican and the first African American to hold the position and the first Republican to hold the office in 71 years. The new Sec-State of Kentucky, Michael Adams, is also a republican and an African-American. I'm hopeful that there will be a non-partisan attitude between the new officials, and they wont follow trends in Washington.

Sadly, He's Mitch McConnells protege, so the chances of him having a "non-partisan" outlook are slim to none if he has learned anything from his mentor.

Nixon and Clinton both lost similar SCOTUS appeals. Those decisions were unanimous. Trump hasn't a hope of winning there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Agreed, I'd be astonished. Even in this day and age I'd still be astonished.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Nixon and Clinton both lost similar SCOTUS appeals. Those decisions were unanimous. Trump hasn't a hope of winning there.

Probably just an attempt to kick the can down the road. Drag it into 2020.

Probably just an attempt to kick the can down the road. Drag it into 2020.

But of course.

Two likely outcomes, majority decision to reject his appeal (which as I understand it, is founded on the basis 'a President can't just not be indicted for crimes, they can't be investigated for them'), or the SCOTUS will simply deny cert and leave the ruling that stands from the federal appeals circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Apart from Chris Wallace, they are all a bunch of the most despicable deplorables! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'll keep saying this but the lies aren't meant to convince you. They're to confuse the easily confused which make up his base.

News on the Horowitz FBI probe.

Witnesses in the investigation are not being allowed to provide feedback in-writing on their involvement in the investigation, but are being instructed their comments/feedback/clarifications must be spoken orally. This is reportedly against the norm.

“The moves have left some witnesses concerned that their objections might not be recorded precisely and incorporated into the inspector general’s findings, the people said. The witnesses, they said, are also concerned that the process gives the inspector general complete control in characterizing any comments witnesses make — and leaves witnesses with no ability to create a paper trail that might help them show their words were captured inaccurately.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/justice-dept-watchdog-wont-let-witnesses-give-written-feedback-on-report-about-fbis-russia-probe-sparking-fears-of-inaccuracy/2019/11/14/1236d0aa-070d-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html

News on the Horowitz FBI probe.

Witnesses in the investigation are not being allowed to provide feedback in-writing on their involvement in the investigation, but are being instructed their comments/feedback/clarifications must be spoken orally. This is reportedly against the norm.

“The moves have left some witnesses concerned that their objections might not be recorded precisely and incorporated into the inspector general’s findings, the people said. The witnesses, they said, are also concerned that the process gives the inspector general complete control in characterizing any comments witnesses make — and leaves witnesses with no ability to create a paper trail that might help them show their words were captured inaccurately.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/justice-dept-watchdog-wont-let-witnesses-give-written-feedback-on-report-about-fbis-russia-probe-sparking-fears-of-inaccuracy/2019/11/14/1236d0aa-070d-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html

Just off the top of my head, maybe a way around this would be to make a statement/memoranda of one's comments/feedback/clarifications before a duly notarised lawyer or clerk in court and use a copy of it to refresh one's memory when complying with the IG's stipulation. Even if the copy was seized by the IG's people, he would know it would be useless to "collate or edit" any part of an oral statement for the purpose of "brevity".

Given the fact that the instruction is being revealed in a newspaper, I'm taking a leap in the dark that public knowledge of the instruction is due to a leak. With the leak comes a chance that witnesses will know of the instruction in advance of making any contributions to the IG and can take the precautions above. I'm assuming the instruction on comments/feedback/clarifications is in terms of an "after the report is issued" scenario.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head, maybe a way around this would be to make a statement/memoranda of one's comments/feedback/clarifications before a duly notarised lawyer or clerk in court and use a copy of it to refresh one's memory when complying with the IG's stipulation. Even if the copy was seized by the IG's people, he would know it would be useless to "collate or edit" any part of an oral statement for the purpose of "brevity".

Given the fact that the instruction is being revealed in a newspaper, I'm taking a leap in the dark that public knowledge of the instruction is due to a leak. With the leak comes a chance that witnesses will know of the instruction in advance of making any contributions to the IG and can take the precautions above. I'm assuming the instruction on comments/feedback/clarifications is in terms of an "after the report is issued" scenario.
    Because the investigation's draft report has been classified Top Secret I don't think that recourse is available to them, it is a federal crime to discuss those matters outside of secure channels. Which is probably why the apparent issue was leaked to the press, IMHO.

I believe the feedback is meant for the draft: as in they as far as I know would be allowed to see their representations in the draft and challenge inaccuracies or mischaracterizations.

• Advertisement

Giuliani under probe for campaign finance violations and unregistered lobbying

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-15/giuliani-faces-u-s-probe-on-campaign-finance-lobbying-breaches

This would be the 2nd right-hand personal attorney of the President being indicted for committing crimes ordered by Individual 1.

Drama in Louisiana over Trump's use of campaign rallies to make his visits.

AFAIK Trump is the only modern President to thus far not hold any form of open audience event; all his events (barring Inauguration) have been structured Campaign rallies, so that the President's campaign can restrict access to loyalists.

77047567_2450403991880910_9023222051145515008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_eui2=AeHrDYndMMftsYD3xC4Qwe8mtCgwIVTt4PTPkhNPNBS2jo4eXzzCV4ijwg8ISwUJbP-W-LM42G96mQ6wp4DZcNjMHLGEo-Mmw2x9zd97rct3PA&_nc_oc=AQnwHLGgmZ3EXDBiwmdGg_S6o1T-kgq36yfUYAZ4cmYd8pWlEcodWwgni-zuBqBcBTUjOkBtQOVv5q7AKoWPZ_4p&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=bf5c185dc46d30b3dda09ff8ca0a4ab5&oe=5E5DEEC9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Because the investigation's draft report has been classified Top Secret I don't think that recourse is available to them, it is a federal crime to discuss those matters outside of secure channels. Which is probably why the apparent issue was leaked to the press, IMHO.

I believe the feedback is meant for the draft: as in they as far as I know would be allowed to see their representations in the draft and challenge inaccuracies or mischaracterizations.

I believe you are correct in respect off the Top Secret classification.

It looks like the unusual 'verbal only' instruction was walked back in a later clarification by the IG 's office.

Damage may have been done already though.

Interesting take from Fahreed Zakaria, his show was where Zelensky was meant to make his announcement. Zakaria notes that Ukrainians were elated but confused that the aid was released without the deliverable:

[url] https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/zelensky-was-planning-to-announce-trumps-quid-pro-quo-on-my-show-heres-what-happened/2019/11/14/47938f32-072a-11ea-8292-c46ee8cb3dce_story.html[/url]

” On Sept. 5, The Post published an editorial revealing that it had been “reliably told” that Trump was trying to force Zelensky to investigate Biden. On Sept. 9, four days before my visit to Kyiv, House Democrats initiated an investigation into the allegations. That same day, the intelligence community inspector general notified the House and Senate intelligence committees of the whistleblower complaint.

The next day, Sept. 10, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) sent a letter to acting director of national intelligence Joseph Maguire demanding that he turn over the complaint. That is also the day Trump announced he had fired John Bolton as national security adviser. And then, on Sept. 11, aid to Ukraine was unfrozen with no conditions.

Imagine Zelensky’s dilemma. By the time I met with him in Kyiv, he knew the aid had been released, but the backstory had not yet broken into public view. Ukrainian officials I spoke to about the release of the aid were delighted but a little surprised and unsure as to what had happened. Zelensky and his team were probably trying to figure out whether they should still do the interview.
    A few days later, on Sept. 18 and 19, The Post broke the story wide open. The interview was called off. We are, of course, still trying to get it.”

Bolton’s testimony could prove to be a cornerstone to this whole inquiry. Was he fired for speaking out against the drug deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

F-35 planes continue to be delayed due to not being ready. At least Trump got a break on the price.

Why is it the US Military seems to ALWAYS have these problems,? Stealth bomber late. M1A tank problems. Now these airplanes? And Congress so in the pockets of Lockheed and Rand corp., nothing changes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-11-13/lockheed-s-stealthy-f-35-breaks-down-too-often-pentagon-says

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Giuliani under probe for campaign finance violations and unregistered lobbying

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-15/giuliani-faces-u-s-probe-on-campaign-finance-lobbying-breaches

This would be the 2nd right-hand personal attorney of the President being indicted for committing crimes ordered by Individual 1.

He could become the new fall guy, but he gave an interesting response when asked if he was worried Trump would throw him "under a bus"

"I’m not, but I do have very, very good insurance, so if he does, all my hospital bills will be paid.”

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    He could become the new fall guy, but he gave an interesting response when asked if he was worried Trump would throw him "under a bus"

"I’m not, but I do have very, very good insurance, so if he does, all my hospital bills will be paid.”

The 2nd last play will be that Rudy, Sondland, Voker and others were on a "solo run". They will be jettisoned in due course in an effort order to save Trump's posterior. Sondland best appreciate that and give truthful testimony next week.

The last play if course being "he did it, but it's not up to the level of impeachment".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Igotadose wrote: »
    Why is it the US Military seems to ALWAYS have these problems?
    Because military spending in the US is a form of corporate welfare for the military-industrial complex.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The 2nd last play will be that Rudy, Sondland, Voker and others were on a "solo run". They will be jettisoned in due course in an effort order to save Trump's posterior. Sondland best appreciate that and give truthful testimony next week.

The last play if course being "he did it, but it's not up to the level of impeachment".

Are they not already playing that move?

The whole "you can have Quid Pro Quo without the Quo" Schtick that's been on repeat for the last few weeks.

Laura Ingraham even rolled out "Attempted Bribery Isn’t Listed as an Impeachable Offense in the Constitution" as a defence last night!!!
    Fox News host Laura Ingraham defended President Trump on Thursday night by arguing that “attempted bribery isn’t in the Constitution” as an impeachable offense. Ingraham showed a clip of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi explicitly linking Trump’s demand for Ukraine to investigate his political rivals to withholding millions in military aid to the country. “I am saying that what the president has admitted to and said ‘It’s perfect,’ I say it’s perfectly wrong,” Pelosi said in the clip. “It’s bribery. Bribery. That is in the Constitution attached to the impeachment proceedings.” Ingraham then responded by listing off what is listed in the Constitution for impeachment, before she added, “Even assuming the Democrats’ strained and ridiculous interpretation of the facts—and I do not assume them—but just for the sake of their argument, attempted bribery is not in the Constitution. Remember, Ukraine got its military aid. It was 14 days delayed, big deal.”

Ukraine’s military aid was actually delayed for 55 days.

• Advertisement

That was posited in a storyline in either the WaPo or NYT last week that Mulvaney, Rudy and Volker had done a solo run in Ukraine and Don knew nothing about it, which is either a leak from another person with a different agenda to the "Ukraine Plot" group or another attempt by a Trump loyalist to shield Don from other staff members.

One thing is fairly self-evident, President Zelensky wont be visiting the White House any time soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement