Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Trump just released the memo of the first phonecall with Zelinskyy. I'm not sure what he thinks he'll achieve with it but when you compare the two calls, it makes the second one seem a lot more sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If Trumps intention was to find the leaks in the white house and set up your enemies at the same time he's

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump just released the memo of the first phonecall with Zelinskyy. I'm not sure what he thinks he'll achieve with it but when you compare the two calls, it makes the second one seem a lot more sinister.

Yeah. Plus "Here's a time I didn't commit a crime" really isn't as great a defence as he might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Marie Yovanovich, the ambassador, is testifying now. She's put the base line of the corruption in Ukraine from the Soviet Union era. It'll be interesting to see what line the GOP counsel takes with her. If he uses kid-gloves instead of mailed fists, it'l show he's learned a bit from Wed. The end result might be taken to show he believes her testimony is honest and not guileful, not exactly what Don & Co will appreciate.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah. Plus "Here's a time I didn't commit a crime" really isn't as great a defence as he might think.

Your honour, I would like to present into evidence this CCTV recording of me entering the bank a week before the other CCTV of me robbing that bank. As you can see from this video, I did not rob the bank that time. I rest my case.

• Advertisement

If Trumps intention was to find the leaks in the white house and set up your enemies at the same time he's

...being impeached for trying to coerce a foreign government to investigate a political opponent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just on a different Trump note - been reading the story on him ramping the cost to South Korea for having US troops there by 400%. How far is this guy going to go to destroy world alliances? This is him trying to look good in the eyes of Kim Jong Un, in my view.

It seems Laura Ingraham thinks that plotting or involving one-self in a criminal deed, prior to the deed being done, is not a criminal act, Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

...try again?

F***, the three amigos were in town for the swearing-in of President Zelensky the same day that Ambassador Yovanovitch was on the way home by plane on the orders of President Trump. Tell me that DOES not take a degree of planning.

• Advertisement

What's the point of that call "transcript" that Trump released today?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A new attempt to redefine “pathetic”

https://twitter.com/jeffsessions/status/1194993671164309506

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Outside of being a distraction, it's not clear. What's interesting is that the official readout said:
    underscored the unwavering support of the United States for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity—within its internationally recognized borders—and expressed his commitment to work together with President-elect Zelenskyy and the Ukrainian people to implement reforms that strengthen democracy, increase prosperity, and root out corruption.

The memo of the call doesn't mention anything about corruption.

Maybe the state of mind of the person authorising its release?

Outside of being a distraction, it's not clear. What's interesting is that the official readout said:

The memo of the call doesn't mention anything about corruption.

More nonsense then. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Just on a different Trump note - been reading the story on him ramping the cost to South Korea for having US troops there by 400%. How far is this guy going to go to destroy world alliances? This is him trying to look good in the eyes of Kim Jong Un, in my view.

Is it a bid to try and keep a viable bolthole to flee to when the Feds knock on his door?

Trump tweeted that Yovanovich did a bad job, citing her time in Somalia. Schiff then brought up that tweet during the hearing. Yovanovich described it as "intimidating". Schiff response: "Some of us here take witness intimidation very seriously".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Igotadose wrote: »
    F-35 planes continue to be delayed due to not being ready. At least Trump got a break on the price.

Why is it the US Military seems to ALWAYS have these problems,? Stealth bomber late. M1A tank problems. Now these airplanes? And Congress so in the pockets of Lockheed and Rand corp., nothing changes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-11-13/lockheed-s-stealthy-f-35-breaks-down-too-often-pentagon-says

What's wrong with the M1 tank?

The F-35 availability rate problem isn't unique to the F-35, all the fleets are suffering from it. From the F-35 article, for example, Air Force is running at 75%, the Marines at 68%. Also, this year, there was great rejoicing as the Navy's F/A-18 fleet got to 70% from the 40-50% they were at just under a year ago.

https://news.usni.org/2019/04/05/42436

All the fleets, F-35, E2, F/A-18 have targets of 80% by the end of this year.
    The Hornets and Growlers seem to have managed it as of two months ago, https://news.usni.org/2019/09/25/navy-surpasses-80-aircraft-readiness-goal-reaches-stretch-goal-of-341-up-fighters,

On the Air Force side, the F-35 is more or less following the mission capable rates of the rest of the Air Force fleet. See this chart for last year's mission capable rating: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/07/26/aircraft-mission-capable-rates-hit-new-low-in-air-force-despite-efforts-to-improve/
    F-15 at 73%, F-16 at 68%, F-22 at 51%.

Z7AWG3KXFZCUXB2I6VSOM56QJE.jpg

That's not to say that the F-35's rates are acceptable. None of those rates are acceptable for any aircraft, and the services know it, the F-35's is not an outlier. The problems are insufficient funding and time allocation for maintenance, combined with the fact that the things are simply sensitive and tempermental by their nature. As the F-35 fleet continues to be fielded, the bugs get worked out, and the maintenance crews get to know them better, the rate will continue to increase.

For all the problems and cost overruns of the F-35 program, the above-linked article isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump is tweeting , showing more of transcript

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1195363894669258752

When I look at the transcript of Don's phonecall to President Zelensky and read again his reference to her [Ambassador Yovanovitch] "she's going to go through some things" I keep having a flashback to the comment by President Nixon's AG [Mitchell] when the WaPo phoned him to check on the reliability of a storyline it was planning to run linking him with the "Watergate operation" funding. He told the WaPo journalist to tell Katharine Graham, the owner/publisher, that her tits were going to be put through the wringer if WaPo ran the story.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with the M1 tank?

The F-35 availability rate problem isn't unique to the F-35, all the fleets are suffering from it. From the F-35 article, for example, Air Force is running at 75%, the Marines at 68%. Also, this year, there was great rejoicing as the Navy's F/A-18 fleet got to 70% from the 40-50% they were at just under a year ago.

https://news.usni.org/2019/04/05/42436

All the fleets, F-35, E2, F/A-18 have targets of 80% by the end of this year.
    The Hornets and Growlers seem to have managed it as of two months ago, https://news.usni.org/2019/09/25/navy-surpasses-80-aircraft-readiness-goal-reaches-stretch-goal-of-341-up-fighters,

On the Air Force side, the F-35 is more or less following the mission capable rates of the rest of the Air Force fleet. See this chart for last year's mission capable rating: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/07/26/aircraft-mission-capable-rates-hit-new-low-in-air-force-despite-efforts-to-improve/
    F-15 at 73%, F-16 at 68%, F-22 at 51%.

Z7AWG3KXFZCUXB2I6VSOM56QJE.jpg

That's not to say that the F-35's rates are acceptable. None of those rates are acceptable for any aircraft, and the services know it, the F-35's is not an outlier. The problems are insufficient funding and time allocation for maintenance, combined with the fact that the things are simply sensitive and tempermental by their nature. As the F-35 fleet continues to be fielded, the bugs get worked out, and the maintenance crews get to know them better, the rate will continue to increase.

For all the problems and cost overruns of the F-35 program, the above-linked article isn't one of them.

My understanding for the last set of years was the Abrams was being overproduced for the Jerbs! (jobs) and that the Pentagon has, like so many other purchases, indicated to Congress that it’s needs were somewhat less than what Congress mandated for purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Chairman Adam Schiff interrupted the hearing to point out the tweet. “As we sit here, the president is attacking you on Twitter,” he said, asking the former ambassador to respond.

Looking bemused, Yovanovitch said, “I don’t think I have such powers”, adding that she and her colleagues made things better, not worse.

Schiff rejoined: “The president is attacking you in real time... Some of us here take witness intimidation very, very seriously.”

Incredible stuff, never seen anything like this in US politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

Had been listening into hearing today but had to take a phone call.

I heard Goldman mention a tweet from Don JR and something from Sean Hannity.
    Can anyone tell me what they were?

elli21 wrote: »
    Had been listening into hearing today but had to take a phone call.

I heard Goldman mention a tweet from Don JR and something from Sean Hannity.
    Can anyone tell me what they were?

Well, Don Snr has been tweeting about the ambassador in terms that are clearly intimidating. Another point is if Rudy [his personal lawyer] is with him and does nothing to stop his clients intimidation of a witness live on air [not something done before the lawyer/client relationship began] it leaves grounds for Rudy to be brought before his professional bar association and a judge for a hearing to strip him of any right to practice as a law professional.

As per usual, Trump digs his hole a little deeper when trying to get out of it. People are now pointing out that the White House, in defending Trump's July 25th call, said that in Trump's previous call with Zelensky after he won the election that Trump made a strong point about helping to root out corruption.

Now that Trump's released the transcript of it, there's no mention of corruption in it.

Penn wrote: »
    As per usual, Trump digs his hole a little deeper when trying to get out of it. People are now pointing out that the White House, in defending Trump's July 25th call, said that in Trump's previous call with Zelensky after he won the election that Trump made a strong point about helping to root out corruption.

Now that Trump's released the transcript of it, there's no mention of corruption in it.

That, plus obvious witness tampering on Twitter today. Not a good day for Donny. Even Fox News is going after him for his tweets today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Roger Stone been found guilty in all 7 counts

Roger Stone found guilty of ALL seven charges against him, inclusive of obstruction of congress. Plus the link between him and the Trump campaign is proven in the court. Vindication of Mueller?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Incredible stuff, never seen anything like this in US politics

In any politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

duploelabs wrote: »
    Roger Stone been found guilty in all 7 counts

That Nixon tattoo on his back is going to come in handy.

Draining the swamp is not going to plan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement