Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

abff wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree. Not just the worst American president in history, but the worst president of anywhere, ever.

He is a dangerous imbecile. If you had a 7-year-old child acting like that on Twitter, you'd be embarrassed. What kind of example is that carry-on to kids growing up in today's world? And the funniest part is that his wife is allegedly trying to work for victims of cyber-bullying. I hope she reaches out to Yovanovitch this week to see if she can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Incidental, damage-wise now, list of US Govt Rep's to Ukraine this year giving their status.

Marie Yovanovitch
    Career FSO
    Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
    May 18, 2016[7]
    August 29, 2016
    May 20, 2019

Kristina Kvien
    Career FSO
    Chargé d'Affaires ad interim[8]
    May 28, 2019

June 18, 2019[9]
    William B. Taylor Jr.
    Political appointee[1]
    Chargé d'Affaires ad interim[10]
    June 18, 2019[9]

Taylor was the US ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Ukraine from May 2006 to May 2009. As he was a Bush appointee then, Don probably thought he was the safest pair of hands there. Incidentally he's still listed officially in the job there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    More absolute and utter nonsense. I really can't even comprehend where people get this rubbish from. Time to turn off Breitbart News, honestly.

Frankly, I don't understand why/how any serious and knowledgeable poster on here would engage with this kind of deranged / trolling ****e... it does nothing but add oxygen to burning farts, and clutters up the screens of those of us who spend most of our time trying to keep up with sensible commentry on this site while viewing on a small mobile....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

peddlelies wrote: »
    Don't be silly.

I agree with Pedlelies here... actually, Idi Amin was worse... But not by much!

However, if you limit the assessment to the role of POTUS, then Trump is now waaaay ahead in the league of worst POTUS ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Its all relative of course. From a zero baseline then clearly Trump is far from the worst President ever in the world.

But the US is the pacesetter, not the base line. Any POTUS should be head and shoulders above many of the less developed countries due to democracy, education, population, history, rule of law, resources and level of staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TomOnBoard wrote: »

However, if you limit the assessment to the role of POTUS, then Trump is now waaaay ahead in the league of worst POTUS ever!

Okay Donald trump will not go down in history as a good US president or even a remotely good one, but let's not say he's barely beating that bastard Idi Amin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So this is Pence's aid throwing Donny boy under the bus...

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1195813714622078976?s=19

Vindman said Trump's perfect call transcript was lacking detail. I guess this proves he was right

Trump is getting his medical today.

Throwback to this gem in the litany of BS that is his presidency...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/953372451978776576?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wonder if it will be the turkey pardoning Trump this year, in the run up to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trump is getting his medical today.

Throwback to this gem in the litany of BS that is his presidency...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/953372451978776576?s=19

These are some of the most annoying things, he’s an old man who would really care if he said he wasn’t a fit young buck? It’s fibbing for ego it’s not like there would be any repercussions if he turned out to be unhealthy.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    These are some of the most annoying things, he’s an old man who would really care if he said he wasn’t a fit young buck? It’s fibbing for ego it’s not like there would be any repercussions if he turned out to be unhealthy.

Its just demonstrative of Trump's complete and utter disregard for the truth, disrespect to the public feeding them this BS, a fragile ego and the repulsive nature of his lackeys who have to feed his craven ego.

It shows his utter hypocrisy as he along with the National Enquirer had HRC on her deathbed in the run up to the election while lying about his own health.

It says if he will bare face lie about something so insignificant as this, then he'll lie about much worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

This isn’t a regular medical folks. Stay tuned.

That would be interesting. Thought it was just an early start on his annual one.

Water John wrote: »
    That would be interesting. Thought it was just an early start on his annual one.

Options

-It’s a regular medical. (Unlikely given timing and reports)
    -Something is genuinely wrong
    -Staged ‘oh no diddums poor me’ escape investigation and GOP don’t have to vote for impeachment.
    -GOP are about to dump him and run Pence as the nominee

+ that all important pardon.

Like any good dictator, always have your eye on the escape. Some country to give you asylum and better in this case, a pardon.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Options

-It’s a regular medical. (Unlikely given timing and reports)
    -Something is genuinely wrong
    -Staged ‘oh no diddums poor me’ escape investigation and GOP don’t have to vote for impeachment.
    -GOP are about to dump him and run Pence as the nominee

“I’m retiring for my health” would be a fantastic result

Overheal wrote: »

Forgot that.

It’s the most likely one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Overheal wrote: »

I'm retiring for my health and....now I can be prosecuted.

“Retiring for my health and woe *cough cough* Pence will pardon me so I can focus on my health *cough*” /proceeds to play golf 5 times a week for 18 years before he’s found dead smothering a hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That's one of the things about US Presidential pardons, they can be given to persons on a pre-trial basis [as with Ford to Nixon] that the person being pardoned may have committed a crime, basicallly on a presumption of likely guilt without it being proven. Even federal tax evasion would be covered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_of_Richard_Nixon

Pardon of Richard Nixon. A presidential pardon of Richard Nixon ( Proclamation 4311 ) was issued on September 8, 1974, by President Gerald Ford, which granted his predecessor Richard Nixon a full and unconditional pardon for any crimes he might have committed against the United States while president.

Thinking further about the idea that Don might be prepared to throw in the towel, a fore-sign could be him issuing pardons to his good friends being investigated/prosecuted/waiting for sentencing. If he was pardoned without him issuing pardons to his good friends first, it would be a way of judging his character.

• Advertisement

Fox News Dear Leader treatment about Trumps “superhuman” health re: today’s unscheduled 2nd annual checkup of 2019

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/stephanie-grisham-jeanine-pirro-praise-trumps-health-after-unexpected-checkup-hes-almost-superhuman/

I also see the WH losing ground: Republicans tried to convey the argument the president has a “absolute” right to set foreign policy, have people serve at his pressure, but they sent Barr out to argue the exact opposite today when it concerned the rights listed in Article I of the Constitution:

[url] https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/16/attorney-general-barr-accuses-democrats-using-oversight-powers-try-cripple-executive-branch/[/url]

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1195825857694224384?s=19

An "announcement" was enough to get to release the aid.

Thinking of taking a half day Wednesday - Sondlond's testimony is going to be something...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

everlast75 wrote: »
    So this is Pence's aid throwing Donny boy under the bus...

lol. Threw Trump under the bus?? Please.

She was badgered about her feelings over and over, so she indulged them all and said how she honestly (and understandably) felt* on hearing Biden's name being mentioned. Of course she is going think the POTUS speaking about Biden is unusual and even inappropriate. Stands to reason, given that the issues Trump was referencing are not widely known about, thanks to a leftist mainstream media.

Ms. Williams did however give other testimony which supported what the WH's position and go a long way to destroying the democrats' scurrilous self serving narrative. Some examples:

image.png

image.png

image.png
    image.png

image.png

image.png

So, no, she not throw Trump under the bus.

Incidentally, none of the above testimony could be referenced by the republicans in congress (or to the media) as Schiff/Pelosi hadn't released it until last night. Not suggesting any nefarious motives or anything of course. I'm sure they were busy.

*Democrats seem to think how these people feel about what Trump said on the call is important. It ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

This seems an odd thing to tweet! What he up to :) the ol' divil.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1195931893998456832

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I find it odd that the GOP are using the line that since Ukraine never made the announcement of the investigation then it proves that Trump never asks. It is, of course, based on the assumption that if Trump demanded something he would not give in unless he got it.

But NK,China, EU, damn pretty much everything he has done is based on him having to give in at some point. So it seems totally within his normal operations that he would demand something and then give he without actually getting what he wanted as the other side stood up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

As soon as I read about the unscheduled check up I thought about what would put him out of reach of all possible proceedings against him as a sitting president and civilian.

Cognitive impairment, specifically dementia related would seem the most likely route. If he offered that as a reason for his resignation who could even argue as the press have long speculated that he does indeed have the early signs of dementia.

It's time to find an escape route, it's just a question of whether his vanity will let him go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Or "I'm retiring for my health" followed weeks later by "I have dementia/sufficient illness that I can't be tried for anything"

Edit: just saw the post above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

”Democrat John Bel Edwards just won his re-election for Governor of Louisiana.“

How will the GOP and Trump spin this?

It’s the cherry on the cake for another disastrous week for trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Yep, can't seem to stop losing lately. You can bet your ass that some Republicans are calculating about dropping him. They won't have forgotten that on the way to being GOP candidate, trumps ire was aimed at many of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Yep, can't seem to stop losing lately. You can bet your ass that some Republicans are calculating about dropping him. They won't have forgotten that on the way to being GOP candidate, trumps ire was aimed at many of them.

Won't happen until polls show GOP support for Trump has started to wane. The republican, partisan support is the only thing keeping the polling look vaguely respectable, despite the overall negative opinions. So until Trump becomes a lodestone around GOP senators' necks, they'll never move against him and risk losing the base.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement