Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The fact trump is tweeting all these reasons for visiting the hospital seems suspicious.....

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Won't happen until polls show GOP support for Trump has started to wane. The republican, partisan support is the only thing keeping the polling look vaguely respectable, despite the overall negative opinions. So until Trump becomes a lodestone around GOP senators' necks, they'll never move against him and risk losing the base.
    Agree, not yet but Trump is no longer so secure

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

woohoo!!! wrote:
    Agree, not yet but Trump is no longer so secure

Ah he ll be grand, he ll get another term, probably won't even be impeached

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Wanderer78 wrote: »

What brings you to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

duploelabs wrote:
    What brings you to that conclusion?

Pure gut feeling, he's as slippery as anything, he hasn't a care in the world, and I'd say the list is as long of people willing to throw themselves under the bus for him, the American political system has a problem, and he doesn't care one bit about it, of course I could be wrong, hopefully I am, because there's a lot of damage being done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I agree. He's an absolute abomination of a POTUS, but a strong economy gives him a real chance. The Democrats don't have a candidate of the calibre of Bill Clinton or Obama in the field, which is what they really need to unseat an incumbent.

I'd be politically opposed to both Obama and Clinton, but both were brilliant candidates. They were perfect for winning a presidential election.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

Pure gut feeling, he's as slippery as anything, he hasn't a care in the world, and I'd say the list is as long of people willing to throw themselves under the bus for him, the American political system has a problem, and he doesn't care one bit about it, of course I could be wrong, hopefully I am, because there's a lot of damage being done
    I don't think any of the diplomatic service,the upper levels of the armed forces the Intelligence Services or the Judiciary would throw themselves under a bus for him.

His personal failings are too transparent and their group ethos is too strong.

As a party the GOP stands as an exception as their immediate interests seem to demand fawning obedience.

That is his only hope ,that they keep the "faith"....but can the GOP survive supporting the Child God when his power wanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Unless he requests tv time from the networks he’s not doing anything like what people are suggesting. Anyway If he did that he’d be admitting defeat and that’s not his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh I don't think he'll be removed from office (though that could still change) but I think the impeachment process serves another purpose - it's about showing any undecided/third party voters, and more importantly perhaps, potential abstentionists, what a dishonest and unsuitable person he is to be POTUS.

I think that's working - recent state election results seem to show not so much a collapse in the GOP vote as a massive uptick in new voters, who are registering in large numbers and voting massively against Trump's GOP. If that continues (and I think the impeachment process should ensure that it will) then November is likely to be a disaster for Trump and those who stood willingly by as he trashed America's reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The fact trump is tweeting all these reasons for visiting the hospital seems suspicious.....

I was just about to ask about this medical appointment (I'm not on Twitter) - what's he tweeting (in brief) and is there any other information coming out about it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

First off, before you fast-respond to the following, I know the odds on it happening are as slim as a snowflake's chance of surviving in hell. What if President Zelensky was to give an interview to a national [or even foreign] media outlet or if a leak occurred with both sides of all the phonecall conversations being revealed [around midweek] what the GOP and their counsellor at the hearings could do to put a spin that. So far all we've got from his side of the conversations is what's on Don's released transcripts and what the hearings witnesses have got to say of their knowledge.

I know Zelensky would have first to estimate on what he, and his country, would lose strategically as a result of giving a tell-all interview seeing how Don would take great offence to the truth coming out from some-one who should be grateful for free US foreign aid, as against what he might get [as a bulwark against Russia] from some-one else sitting in the White House, Don being so set on getting more for the dollar when it comes to military foreign aid.

I can see several heads of state who would gain from such a release or a leak of the call contents as it would result in disarray within the US. If the gist of such a leak tended to confirm what the witnesses were saying, as against the transcripts released by Don, the effect would have to be very damaging to Don, and Mike Pence if he was in the office and was listening in to both sides when the phone conversations were taking place. Its admitted that he was present during one of the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

*Democrats seem to think how these people feel about what Trump said on the call is important. It ain't.

Yet I observed the latest ditch-defense of the President is how he “felt” when he asked for the investigations, or as Kellyanne put it, what was in his “soul” ..... you yourself have repeatedly argued the “truth” is that Trump “felt” the investigations were pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    First off, before you fast-respond to the following, I know the odds on it happening are as slim as a snowflake's chance of surviving in hell. What if President Zelensky was to give an interview to a national [or even foreign] media outlet or if a leak occurred with both sides of all the phonecall conversations being revealed [around midweek] what the GOP and their counsellor at the hearings could do to put a spin that. So far all we've got from his side of the conversations is what's on Don's released transcripts and what the hearings witnesses have got to say of their knowledge.

I know Zelensky would have first to estimate on what he, and his country, would lose strategically as a result of giving a tell-all interview seeing how Don would take great offence to the truth coming out from some-one who should be grateful for free US foreign aid, as against what he might get [as a bulwark against Russia] from some-one else sitting in the White House, Don being so set on getting more for the dollar when it comes to military foreign aid.

I can see several heads of state who would gain from such a release or a leak of the call contents as it would result in disarray within the US. If the gist of such a leak tended to confirm what the witnesses were saying, as against the transcripts released by Don, the effect would have to be very damaging to Don, and Mike Pence if he was in the office and was listening in to both sides when the phone conversations were taking place. Its admitted that he was present during one of the calls.

Apart from the severe negative effects he could expect but from the current WH but also from future GOP admins, there is no upside for him.

He is a politician in the Ukraine, so naturally only cares about what Ukrainians think. How would it look if he admitted that he agreed to launch an investigation based on threats from a foreign head of government, regardless of who that HoG was? And that he then covered it up?

He has little option but to stay quiet, or maybe even to side with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Any rational person can see what a clown show this is they have nothing impeachable and if they had a look at history they'd know no president had been impeached ever so this lamest of attempts won't bring down a president either.

Andrew Johnson was impeached.

kowloon wrote: »

Drunkmonkey may be amused to find out what for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Overheal wrote: »
    Yet I observed the latest ditch-defense of the President is how he “felt” when he asked for the investigations, or as Kellyanne put it, what was in his “soul” ..... you yourself have repeatedly argued the “truth” is that Trump “felt” the investigations were pertinent.

You can't be serious with this illogical nonsense.

The reason why what Trump felt is relevant is because it speaks to his motives and intent. What Jennifer felt does not. It's immaterial whether she either thought his remarks were unusual, or conversely, whether she thought they were perfectly fine.

No problem with them asking her once, perhaps, but they kept honing in on it, repeatedly asking how it made her feeeel, none of that crap is relevant and it's deliberately done as they know the leftist media laps that stuff up. They did the same with Yovanovitch, hoping she'd cry again no doubt. As that's what this all about to the dems, a show, and the rehearsals were in the basement.

Most of these people (so far at least) hadn't even known of the alleged conflict of interest with the Bidens or the allegations that Joe had ulterior motives when he withheld the aid, and so of course suddenly hearing the POTUS request that the Ukraine president investigate these things would be jarring and seem unusual and inappropriate.. but so bloody what.

Today the leftist media, after reading Jennifer's 10 hour deposition (a good chunk of which supports the position of the POTUS) nevertheless focussed on the feels and not the facts, of course:

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Trump really doesn’t like Chris Wallace, I wonder if he will be shown the door ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Trump really doesn’t like Chris Wallace, I wonder if he will be shown the door ?
    He's one of the few proper journalists left on Fox News. On that basis alone, it wouldn't surprise me.

He's one of the few proper journalists left on Fox News. On that basis alone, it wouldn't surprise me.

I thought they parted ways with their last employee with 'tegridy last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You can't be serious with this illogical nonsense.

The reason why what Trump felt is relevant is because it speaks to his motives and intent. What Jennifer felt does not. It's immaterial whether she either thought his remarks were unusual, or conversely, whether she thought they were perfectly fine.

No problem with them asking her once, perhaps, but they kept honing in on it, repeatedly asking how it made her feeeel, none of that crap is relevant and it's deliberately done as they know the leftist media laps that stuff up. They did the same with Yovanovitch, hoping she'd cry again no doubt. As that's what this all about to the dems, a show, and the rehearsals were in the basement.

Most of these people (so far at least) hadn't even known of the alleged conflict of interest with the Bidens or the allegations that Joe had ulterior motives when he withheld the aid, and so of course suddenly hearing the POTUS request that the Ukraine president investigate these things would be jarring and seem unusual and inappropriate.. but so bloody what.

Today the leftist media, after reading Jennifer's 10 hour deposition (a good chunk of which supports the position of the POTUS) nevertheless focussed on the feels and not the facts, of course:

Here's a headline from Fox:

Pence adviser says Trump request that Ukraine open Biden probe was 'unusual and inappropriate'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

kowloon wrote: »

It wasn't successful it collapsed in the Senate. He wasn't removed from office. I said there was never a successful impeachment that still stands as correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

lol. Threw Trump under the bus?? Please.

So, no, she not throw Trump under the bus

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1196155347117002752?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

What's this leftist media in the states I keep hearing about?. Aren't they all big corporations?.

It wasn't successful it collapsed in the Senate. He wasn't removed from office. I said there was never a successful impeachment that still stands as correct.

Impeachment is the charge, not the conviction.

Has anyone IN THE US seen anything about the Dems giving an invite to Don [again] to appear and testify before the committee? MSN is running a report copied from the AP that the Democrats [NP] has invited Don to testify before the committee in the upcoming week.

According to the date/timeline on the AP report, it was filed 6 hours ago so it's apparently not a repeat of the [now] historical suggestion that Don testify before the committee and nothing to do with his offer of written submitted statements to it.

Ref the above copy of one of Don's tweet, is there a link available to this Ukraine Govt statement about the Trump/Zelensky phone conversations content available so we can read the Ukraine version and not one/s issued by the US parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭eire4

What's this leftist media in the states I keep hearing about?. Aren't they all big corporations?.

You are correct they are very much big corporations in the negative sense of that word too I would say in that they have no interest in the US actually re emerging as a true functioning democracy rather then the current oligarchy it is IMHO. Thus their coverage reflects that and never addresses issues for example that revolve around the corruption of congress and the erosion of democracy in the US because they financially benefit from the current corrupt oligarchy.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Has anyone IN THE US seen anything about the Dems giving an invite to Don [again] to appear and testify before the committee? MSN is running a report copied from the AP that the Democrats [NP] has invited Don to testify before the committee in the upcoming week.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/470338-impeachment-hearing-breaks-into-laughter-after-democrat-invites-trump-to

Undeniably an open invitation, forgot about that unscripted ending putdown.

Fox News and Chris Wallace and the Polling Dept specifically being smeared for doing their job which is filtering out fact from speculation and talking points.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1148016424864104448?s=21

Wallace had an interview with Rep Steve Scalise, in which he tried to mischaracterize witnesses saying ‘no they hadn’t witnessed a bribe’ (as Caster did in the hearings) that was proof positive of “see nothing to see here.” Wallace roundly shot that characterization of events down, and forced Scalise to respond to a few elephants in the room with waffle.

I don’t think Trump wants you to see this interview:

• Advertisement

While I was looking at how the US and it's international business partners do their business together on CNBC Street Signs programme, I saw that Aramco was having problems with it's IPO [looking for a US $ 1.7 Trillion investment of funds/new partnership] and that the US [Trump] Administration has extended the existing Huawei Licence by two (2) two weeks to do business in the US despite Don making very public his opposition to the US doing business with US Govt Dept's and agencies as Huawei was a national security risk. I expect the Huawei licence extension approval will be put down to a US deep state operation against Don and his aim to make the US MAGA again.

https://www.gizchina.com/2019/11/16/huawei-will-get-two-weeks-license-extension-to-do-business-with-us-companies/

Edit: the same CNBC business programme has just referred to the extension as another two week extextion but that could just be a news studio misreading of the current US/Huawei situation and the US/China business/ sanction situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement