Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Christ now he's attacking a member of Pences staff as a "never Trumper".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fyi - Volker will be the dry run for Sondlond Wednesday

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1196244915170299904?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

The hearing schedule for the coming week looks interesting.

Vindman is up tomorrow morning. If Trump starts live-tweeting slander about decorated military man while he delivers his testimony (I believe he wore his uniform to the closed-door session) it won't look great.

Jennifer Williams also up in the morning. Trump has preemptively, and somewhat ridiculously called her out as a "never Trumper". She's an adviser to Pence. It will be very interesting to see how the R's treat her.

The R's witnesses are up in the afternoon: Volker and Morrison. Interesting to see how the D's approach their testimony.

Highlight of the week will be Sondland's, on Wednesday morning. He's already revised his original testimony significantly. Will be fascinating to see how much further he goes in light what came out last week. It will also be interesting to see how the R's react to him. I wouldn't put it past them to start pushing the line that the 'unofficial' Ukraine channel was operating independently of Trump - which means Giuliani, Sondland & Co. all go under the bus.

On top of all this, I'll be very eager to see how the Rs comport themselves with witnesses. Stefanik's carry on last week has gone down terribly, with donations pouring into her D rival. None of the Rs, even the ones with much safer seats than Stefanik, want to be campaigning against a well-funded rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looks like the Dems are getting desperate, all jumping on the legalize pot bandwagon in their first 100 days now.
    It could be enough to win the election if they can find a decent canidate, can't see Trump going down that smokey road.

Looks like the Dems are getting desperate, all jumping on the legalize pot bandwagon in their first 100 days now.
    It could be enough to win the election if they can find a decent canidate, can't see Trump going down that smokey road.

Sure Aderall is more his thing - why would he bother with Cannabis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/shock-poll-70-of-americans-feel-trump-was-wrong-to-ask-ukraine-to-investigate-biden/

70% of Americans: it was wrong to ask for the Biden investigations
    51% it is a removable offense.
    21% of Americans are watching the hearings “very closely”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A year out from the election the Democrats candidates all announce a policy that is completely non-controversial and has already been adopted in a few states.

It hardly smells of desperation.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

Overheal wrote: »
    https://www.mediaite.com/trump/shock-poll-70-of-americans-feel-trump-was-wrong-to-ask-ukraine-to-investigate-biden/

Disappointing it is not higher , but hopefully it will cement opposition to his party in the next elections.

I wonder how those figures play out in the "battleground states"

Also wonder whether those figures will strengthen ,weaken or solidify as the impeachment hearings play out over the coming weeks.

Will Trump pay a price for holding back his "witnesses " since he has so much (bad) to say about the witnesses who have already testified (and ,presumably
    any others who do so) ?
    The medical test is a bit of a mystery ,is he sending some kind of a signal ?

Is he paranoid about the medics in the WH , does he think someone is playing with his medication ? Is someone actually playing mind games with him along those lines ,seeing what an easy target he ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Considering the Democratic nominations haven't even been whittled down to single digit number, let alone the first actual Primary, it's hyperbolic and reaching to describe any pronouncement as "desperate". It's completely premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Yeah, I suppose it's 'desperate' for a Presidential Primary candidate to reflect the will of the people and the reality of the situation in their policies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_U.S._jurisdiction

The only people who have a vested interest in NOT legalizing pot at this stage are the private prison operators and criminal drug peddlers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The cannabis issue isn’t even an issue. It’s already been taken over by huge corporations taking control of that market. Inevitable it will be made legal federally. It’s all about the money.
    So to suggest it’s the dems are getting desperate displays a lack of awareness on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This is why the senate will never get to the required 67%. But anyway, as someone else pointed out, it's demonstrating to the American public how sketchy this administration really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    This is why the senate will never get to the required 67%. But anyway, as someone else pointed out, it's demonstrating to the American public how sketchy this administration really is.

But it'll all be in the Congressional record, too. All good, Trump going down in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Think people might think if nothing comes of it then there was nothing wrong. Or at least be spun that way?

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1196465004763123713?s=19

Unfortunately I don't think from what I know that it would be a definite finding against Trump, but its definitely worth checking into

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Think people might think if nothing comes of it then there was nothing wrong. Or at least be spun that way?

Nobody thinks Bill Clinton didn’t obstruct justice or have sex with an intern. The Senate just didn’t agree to remove him from office over it.

Before he left office and lost his immunity he settled up with Paula Jones and forfeit his AK law license.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nobody thinks Bill Clinton didn’t obstruct justice or have sex with an intern. The Senate just didn’t agree to remove him from office over it.

Before he left office and lost his immunity he settled up with Paula Jones and rescinded his law license.

The difference between Clinton and the other two presidents have had an impeachment trial/had articles of impeachment drawn up is that all three were in their second term so none of them had an reelection campaign to worry about.

And this maybe a very naive non American view of the impeachment process but what counts as an impeachable offense in one time period logically should be the same in 2019 but it seems the goalposts have been not only moved but turned upside down.

Also, there appears to be a poor understanding of how the whole thing works and what the different steps mean and don't mean. An impeachment by the House of Representatives does not mean removal from office. I means it's clearly laid out in the constitution( which Americans claim to hold sacrosanct, but can be selective when needed to on it's interpretation) as to what the process is.

The Hill announced it will be taking a review of John Solomon’s contributions to the paper following testimony on Friday that revealed his agency in a smear campaign against Marie Yovanovitch:

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/the-hill-editor-announces-review-potential-correction-of-john-solomon-articles/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1196465004763123713?s=19

Unfortunately I don't think from what I know that it would be a definite finding against Trump, but its definitely worth checking into

From what I remember of most of Trump's answers, it was all "I do not recall such-and-such" rather than "I did not...". The kind of legalese that leaves it open to correction and therefore not a lie.

Penn wrote: »
    From what I remember of most of Trump's answers, it was all "I do not recall such-and-such" rather than "I did not...". The kind of legalese that leaves it open to correction and therefore not a lie.

I agree, but on Sept 30th the story broke that some of the redactions in the Mueller report indicated that he did. I am wondering are they the redactions in the Stone case, or one of the other cases that were handed off by Mueller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

if you go with roughly: 30% R/30% D/40% Ind

And put basically 100% of R as No, 100% of D as Yes, for simplicities sake, that puts about a 21/19 split among independents.

That gives room for a fair bit of movement either way in terms of support depending on how things continue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

if you go with roughly: 30% R/30% D/40% Ind

And put basically 100% of R as No, 100% of D as Yes, for simplicities sake, that puts about a 21/19 split among independents.

That gives room for a fair bit of movement either way in terms of support depending on how things continue

That's probably a fairly reasonable viewpoint.

The Republican support level for Trump has been fairly bulletproof at ~90% , with Democrats being an almost mirror image.

Any GOP Senator in a State where Trump support among GOP voters is north of 75% will never vote against him , not matter what the evidence says.

I'd love to see a breakdown at the state levels to see how many of the Senators that are up for election next November have numbers to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

duploelabs wrote: »

Oh dear Jesus if that happens then the term box office won't even come close to describing it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

duploelabs wrote: »

Not a snowballs chance in hell he'll testify - "Strongly consider it" is meaningless , he said that same about releasing his tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pure gut feeling, he's as slippery as anything, he hasn't a care in the world, and I'd say the list is as long of people willing to throw themselves under the bus for him, the American political system has a problem, and he doesn't care one bit about it, of course I could be wrong, hopefully I am, because there's a lot of damage being done
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not a snowballs chance in hell he'll testify - "Strongly consider it" is meaningless , he said that same about releasing his tax returns.
    Is it not written "testimony" he is considering? (thought I read that somewhere)

Quin_Dub wrote: »

And a one up debate with Bernie Sanders

I see reports it would be written testimony - a format which Republicans this week have been “holy cow!” Vociferous about being unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Fox News seems to have a doubt about Don actually testifying vocally. Fox News journalist Brooke Singman: Trump says he’ll ‘strongly consider’ Pelosi invite to testify in impeachment hearings

President Trump said Monday he would “strongly consider” testifying or providing answers in writing as part of the House impeachment inquiry, after Democrats challenged him to appear as part of the probe.

Don's tweet:“Our Crazy, Do Nothing (where’s USMCA, infrastructure, lower drug pricing & much more?) Speaker of the House, Nervous Nancy Pelosi, who is petrified by her Radical Left knowing she will soon be gone (they & Fake News Media are her BOSS), suggested on Sunday’s DEFACE THE NATION that I testify about the phony Impeachment Witch Hunt,” Trump tweeted, in a derogatory reference to "Face the Nation." “She also said I could do it in writing. Even though I did nothing wrong, and don’t like giving credibility to this No Due Process Hoax, I like the idea & will, in order to get Congress focused again, strongly consider it!” he continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh dear Jesus if that happens then the term box office won't even come close to describing it.

Oh yes that's what's it all about - box office and good ratings.

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    Fox News seems to have a doubt about Don actually testifying vocally. Fox News journalist Brooke Singman: Trump says he’ll ‘strongly consider’ Pelosi invite to testify in impeachment hearings

President Trump said Monday he would “strongly consider” testifying or providing answers in writing as part of the House impeachment inquiry, after Democrats challenged him to appear as part of the probe.

Don's tweet:“Our Crazy, Do Nothing (where’s USMCA, infrastructure, lower drug pricing & much more?) Speaker of the House, Nervous Nancy Pelosi, who is petrified by her Radical Left knowing she will soon be gone (they & Fake News Media are her BOSS), suggested on Sunday’s DEFACE THE NATION that I testify about the phony Impeachment Witch Hunt,” Trump tweeted, in a derogatory reference to "Face the Nation." “She also said I could do it in writing. Even though I did nothing wrong, and don’t like giving credibility to this No Due Process Hoax, I like the idea & will, in order to get Congress focused again, strongly consider it!” he continued.

Which jives with this whole show to date: they were up in arms, crying with Hunt, storming the SCIF, etc. and arguing about due process.

The first recess on the first day, Mark Meadows was still fired up in a press gaggle that this was all a show. By day two, Yovanovitch I think buried this tactic, some of the Republicans seemingly charging head on into self-burns at times. Not to mention the witness tampering! By the end the Friday Jim Jordan demurred and referred to David Holmes after his closed hearing as “some guy who heard a call” as if to downplay the significance in a half hearted way. Now Donald is looking to testify in this show. It’s a funneling pattern, Republicans will eventually be boxed in to stopping the games they’re playing with the truth and greet this process with progressively more seriousness and less “Holy Cow” moments for the cameras.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement