Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'd say that, for once, Bolton comes out of this clean so far... Amazing as it is, it looks like Bolton was the only cabinet-level adult in the WH.. Surreal!

And I'm not sure being the least incompetent in this White House is a compliment but I'm sure he'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/mike-pompeo-resign-trump-administration-impeachment-state-department-senate-a9210191.html%3famp

So Pompeo is looking for a "safe" exit from the State Dept to take a run at the Senate?

Don't think he will get very far after Sondland torched him today.

The congruence of the US shift in policy on the West Bank and the ever increasing embarrassing reveals from the hearings is quite interesting.

Would be curious to see what else these distractions can yield for Nethanyahu before the next set of Israeli elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,604 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

GOP Counsel Castor is not winning any 'lawyer of the year' prizes for the quality of his questioning. Whining, interrupting, not sharp at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

banie01 wrote: »
    www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/mike-pompeo-resign-trump-administration-impeachment-state-department-senate-a9210191.html%3famp

So Pompeo is looking for a "safe" exit from the State Dept to take a run at the Senate?

Don't think he will get very far after Sondland torched him today.

The congruence of the US shift in policy on the West Bank and the ever increasing embarrassing reveals from the hearings is quite interesting.

Would be curious to see what else these distractions can yield for Nethanyahu before the next set of Israeli elections.

Yeah, Caster tried really hard to exculpate Pompeo before the break, but Sondland wasn't playing ball... I suspect Sondland sees thing his activities to official State Dept activity as his lifeboat out of this fast-sinking wreck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did he read that out or was that like the "Mr Thompson" scene in the Simpson and that was just telling him who he is and to shut up from here on out.

Yes, gravelly voice and all, shouting over the helicopter. Didn't say the 'last word' bit. He did whine that "he didn't know Sondland well, he supported other people before us,..."

C-span allows people to call in. Entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Igotadose wrote: »
    Yes, gravelly voice and all, shouting over the helicopter. Didn't say the 'last word' bit. He did whine that "he didn't know Sondland well, he supported other people before us,..."

C-span allows people to call in. Entertaining.

What's being said?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd say that, for once, Bolton comes out of this clean so far... Amazing as it is, it looks like Bolton was the only cabinet-level adult in the WH.. Surreal!
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And I'm not sure being the least incompetent in this White House is a compliment but I'm sure he'll take it.

For Bolton, it's more a case of wanting to do the right thing but for the wrong reasons.

You what this looks like to me(and I've not watched or read every transcript) is a case of people around the president realising that Trump won't have their backs. If it comes to it trump will dump them so better for them to get out ahead of him and put the pressure on trump. These people I'm sure are honoured to be involved in the government of the United States but I doubt any of them will go to jail to protect Trump.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    For Bolton, it's more a case of wanting to do the right thing but for the wrong reasons.

Like him or loathe him, we all knew why he jumped off the ship. He's too smart to get tied up in any of this and have anything stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

everlast75 wrote: »

So that's around the time that Mr Schiff said he would bring the session to a close [approx 90 minutes after the request from Mr Sondlands attorney said his client was due to take a flight back to Europe to continue his State Dept duties in the EU and wished to have his personal session called to a halt early] and maybe when Mr Sondland was on the way to the airport from the hearing.

We know Don sometimes decides to fire a staffer at unexpected times & ways so I'm waiting to see what, and if, is said at MP's press statement. It might just be something to do with NK or the West Bank or some other State Dept matter of diplomacy.

Is this Jim Jordan yelling ? I'm listening to NBC so can't see who it is. He's ranting that because there was no investigation and the aid was released. Sure any burgler could use that defense if arrested. Idiotic mess.

I'm pretty sure that Sondland is about to be fired..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm pretty sure that Sondland is about to be fired..

Worst million dollars spent ever

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wenstrup just reading a provided script.

Water John wrote: »
    Wenstrup just reading a provided script.

As far as I can see, there's nothing spontaneous in the Rep questioning... Contrast Jackie Spier's lively 5 minutes to the deadpan rehearsed contribution from Will Hurd (someone I would normally have good time for). It's clear that many of the Reps are sucking onions while they 'perform' for the Orange One...

I think Gordo now needs to be helped onto his plane... There's not much more to be gained by keeping him around... he's also fcuked IMHO... it's time for him to ask for his million back and get back to serving afternoon tea in his hotels in Oregon...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's important to note the timing of Trump's "I want nothing..I want no quid pro quo" statement to Sondland: It occurred on September 9, the exact same day the House Intel Committee received the whistleblower's complaint....

Taken from twitter but for some reason (undoubtedly due to myself) I can't get the link to work.

There is clearly a very serious case to answer, I wonder how long Trump, Rudy et al can continue to refuse to give evidence?

Mulvaney has already admitted that a QPQ happened, so not sure what Jim Jordan is shouting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Dems leave Moloney to the back end usually. He really is very good and incisive. He goes for the jugular with Sondland.

Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) just hit Sondland with a howitzer.... You gotta see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) just hit Sondland with a howitzer.... You gotta see it!

Got Sondland to admit the investigation would benefit Trump....;);)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully some one has a video of this soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Sondland look like a broken man now hes going to hang them all out..:D

Dems going to the jugular now saying that guilanni et al are blameing him for th whole debacle..youd almost feel sorry for him (almost....:P)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Headshot wrote: »

It's all available in c-span

Headshot wrote: »

I just went up to the guardian page.

He's on after Mr Welch and before Ms Demings.

Shouldn't be hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Nunes sounds broken/tired

In fairness, while I wouldn't trust him as far as I'd throw him, I found Sondland to be largely likeable. I kinda wanted to dislike him, but I couldn't.
    I suspect he's been a useful idiot throughout this affair!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    He looks very nervous whenever he says he didn't mention Biden. His whole demeanour changes.

He looks very shifty and untrustworthy. Easy to see why he was not liked by so many, as is reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Didn't quite get him to say what he wanted him to say though. Sondland is very good at this. He is playing both sides and trying to get himself out of a hole and out of future prosecution. Dumping Trump and everyone else in it but also saying everything he says is based on assumptions to please the R side.

Damning day for Trump but enough sound bites to get him out of this again. The only thing that can take down Trump is someone to come out and say Trump himself said the words which no one ever will.

So, Ken Starr, a hitherto staunch Trump supporter occasioned this report today:

"Before Sondland’s testimony, Starr called the hearings “extravagant” and “political” and said they “do not reveal a crime.” But after Sondland’s testimony, Starr said that for the first time, proof of contempt came straight from a witness."

Now, that's a seminal moment!

https://www.motherjones.com/impeachment/2019/11/ken-starr-sondlands-bombshell-testimony-is-evidence-of-an-impeachable-offense/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Giuiani has categorically stated that he expects The Donald to remain loyal to him and that he has "insurance" in the vent of disloyalty.

One can only imagine all the dirt Giuliani must have on Trump after all their years in New York. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement